1312 Commerce Street
Lynchburg, VA 24504Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shoemakersdining.com/
- Phone: 4344551510
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Group from 8 to 100
- Private Party Contact: Lucy Smith 4344551510
A word from Shoemaker's Grille
Connected to The Craddock Terry Hotel at Bluffwalk Center, Shoemaker's Grille offers the finest cuisine in Lynchburg.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Shoemaker's Grille - Best Restaurants in Lynchburg ›
Shoemaker's Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (86)romantic (61)fit for foodies (44)notable wine list (39)good for groups (34)neighborhood gem (31)great for outdoor dining (20)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (7)scenic view (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Bit of a let downOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/19/2014Server was attentive. Unfortunately the burger came lukewarm and the tuna also arrived cold. The manager did try to help, but her hovering while I re-checked my food made for an uncomfortable interaction. It came back barely warm and when pressed by the manager I just didn't want to make a scene nor deal with it anymore. I wanted to leave but my dining companions' food was fine. SO...can't really recommend it though other diners seemed to be enjoying themselves. They did take the cold/lukewarm tuna off my bill so, there's that. And they do have a good wine list.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014My wife and I were impressed in every way. Our server Alex was excellent and the food was the very best!Special Features:
- Excellent, better than Morton's!letseatDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I had our anniversary dinner at Shoemaker's and it was phenomenal! Both of us had steak, new York strip and filet and both were outstanding with excellent flavor. Highly recommend the mac & cheese, also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionAnniversaryDined on 9/6/2014Perhaps a special occasion night spot. Nice atmosphere. Very friendly and attentive service. Nice quite dining rooms.Special Features:
- Mouthwatering!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014The food was incredible and the service was excellent! It was an wonderful way to spend an anniversary dinner!Special Features:
- Girls night outCatchingUpDined on 9/5/2014I got together some close girlfriends from high school since our 25th year reunion was coming up. I loved that we were put in a private room so we could talk and laugh without feeling like we were bothering anyone. The food was outstanding! Drinks are overpriced I think so we each only had one drink. We all agreed we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice nite4u2decideDined on 9/5/2014The service was excellent. No delays. Courteous and knowledgable. Excellent food. The salmon was perfect. Great proportion. Wine lift was excellent. Always love it here. Also great for meetings in their meeting rooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionAlwayslookingDined on 8/30/2014Our anniversary dinner was perfect. Food, service were excellent. Best around. Silver Oak by the glass was a special surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnertourist4surDined on 8/28/2014Living in central Virginia most of my adult life. I have tried almost every local restaurants and until we experienced Shoemakers we didn't think there was a outstanding restaurant. My daughter suggested Shoemakers since she always goes there for birthday dinner and it did not disappoint. Great service, food was delicious and the atmosphere was what we were looking for to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steaks in LynchburgJacksonDined on 8/25/2014We seldom go downtown Lynchburg for dining. We've been looking for a good steakhouse but have been disappointed because the steakhouses in the 'burg have back on their meat quality and serving size to keep prices in check. Not so at Shoemakers. I had the Kona-rubbed filet mignon and my wife had the bleu cheese crusted ribeye and they were both to die for! Our server was super friendly and helpful. This will be a regular stop for us from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful dinner find in LynchburgOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014We were staying at the Craddock Terry Hotel and decided to try their restaurant. We LOVED it! Our table had the rib eye steak, burger, and the wasabi encrusted salmon with crab cake. All were delicious. For beginners we had the caprese salad and the escargot which were wonderful. Service was prompt and professional out on the patio, we lacked for nothing. Try the Jefferson Vineyards Chardonnay; yummy! We highly recommend Shoemakers AND the Craddock Terry Hotel while in Lynchburg!Special Features:
- Wonderful special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014This was so good and is a great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent Service, Excellent FoodZekeDined on 8/16/2014The service has always been outstanding - made special for two or handled efficiently when with a large group. The specials created are amazing and worth exploring because you will be rewarded with your perfectly cooked to order steak or seafood choice accompained by unique seasonal sides. Desserts are to die for- save some room to treat yourself to the Chocolate Black Out Cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took mom there for her 85th bday...forestDined on 8/14/2014The staff treated her like she was family... I was very happy with the attention she received, and the food and atmosphere were perfect ... it was a special 85th birthday... our server was very pleasant and did a great job...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsbrucebrenickDined on 8/13/2014We called in advance for a table that is located in a quite area, got it! We asked for a special wine, got it! We were served with smiles and the evening was outstanding not to mention the food......I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- ExcellentoceanviewDined on 8/11/2014We have been to Shoemaker's Grille many times, and took visiting out of town guests there for dinner. They were very impressed!Special Features:
- Dissappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We visit this restaurant about three to four times a year for special occasions. The delicious food and great service has kept us coming back despite the prices. However, during our recent visit we were extremely dissappointed with the quality of our meal. At our table, we had a variety of meats, steaks ranging from: filet, ribeye and sirloin along with seafood. In the past the steaks we're melt in your mouth delicious, very tender cuts and so savouring. Unfortunately we cannot say the same time for this recent visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost GreatMonicaDined on 8/2/2014Our party of six had a wonderful dinner on a Saturday night -- with the exception of one steak being medium versus medium-rare, the food was first-rate and our server was exceptional. The only problem was the length of service....we certainly did not want to be rushed, but the intervals between individual courses and payment was much longer than necessary.Special Features:
- Great place for romantic dininglove3kidsDined on 8/2/2014Shoemaker's proved to be a great restaurant for celebrating our anniversary. The food was worth every penny and the service made the experience even better. Every aspect of the meal was great from appetizer to dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 42anniversaryDined on 7/30/2014Making reservations online was very easy. Shoemaker's was very quick to confirm the reservation. Then a day or two before a reminder was sent,this was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so sousuallynotacriticDined on 7/29/2014Because of all the great reviews I expected a really great meal. The romaine in the ceasar salad was wilted and the dressing tasted like mayo. The tuna had no flavor and the salmon was overcooked. There was too much wrong to bother complaining. The waiter was attentive - we never had to look for him.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014One of the best restaurants in town in a charming historic building. Beautiful terrace for dining or drinks, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food/service do not measure upacato6570VIPDined on 7/25/2014Tasteless describes our experience... Flat iron steak (Waffle House quality-served as a big slab vs sliced for salad?), salmon, Mac n cheese, succotash (which specifically called out spinach-had all of 4 leaves)...blah. Server was in the dark about several items when asked for descriptions. As a "steakhouse", you assume the sides will be amazing -not! The sautéed mushrooms and caprese salad were fantastic. Weird the server felt they had to correct 2 patrons (2 tables) on "caprese/caprase" pronunciation. Overall, just not up to par. Everyone was very friendly walking in/out. Outside dining looked great if you don't look to the side where there is major construction. Great design concept inside. Stick to their sister restaurant Water Stone.Special Features:
- Nice evening outWineluver1987Dined on 7/24/2014Shoemakers is a nice place for a special evening out. I think the food could be a little better for the price though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OuttonightDined on 7/21/2014My husband and I enjoyed dinner at Shoemakers on July 21, 2014. We were celebrating our 29th anniversary and we're congratulated warmly by our server. I ordered the filet and crab cake. My husband had the bacon cheeseburger. Both were fantastuc. I cut my filet with a fork! We enjoyed a crab dip appetuzer, and creme Brule for dessert. Everything was delucious. Service was wonderful. We would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!!!luvgoodfoodDined on 7/19/2014This was our first experience at Shoemaker's Grille, and it is now, by far, our new favorite restaurant. We only wish we had found it sooner. Everything was perfect! It would be impossible to improve upon the food or the service. It is a little more expensive than most of the others, but if you enjoy excellent food and a quiet atmosphere, it's worth every penny. Clientele can dress up or go casual, as we did, making it an even more comfortable and welcoming experience. We will be bringing all of our out-of-town guests here in the future. There is no need to travel any farther than Lynchburg for fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TurkDined on 7/18/2014The food is amazing. We sat outside and it was very nice. The service was a bit slow. Thank goodness there were floaters to help with missing items. However, I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is "phase 3" for Shoemaker'sWallyDined on 7/18/2014When if first opened, Shoemaker's was wildly overpriced for the quality of the food. The restaurant was seldom full. So, they tried lowering the food prices. Unfortunately, they also lowered the food quality. Now, in their third attempt, the menu prices have gone up, but not as high as they originally were, and the food has gotten better than it was when the prices were lower, in "phase 2". Service is excellent. Food is now pretty good, but not gourmet. We go there for special occasions now & then. Usually with people from out of town.Special Features:
- Fantastic- ShoemakersgagaDined on 7/15/2014This was our first visit to Shoemakers. It was a wonderful experience. We cannot recommend this restaurant enough! We cannot wait to go again. The steaks were the best that we have ever had in a restaurant. The service was outstanding.Special Features:
- 63 Anniversary DinnerWineandDineDined on 7/14/2014The food, service and wine were outstanding as usual. Unfortunately there was a table with very small, very loud children seated in the main dining room who added considerably to the already surprisingly loud noise level, especially considering the decor, lighting provide an otherwise "adult" ambiance. As this was my only criticism and hopefully will prove a rare occurance. Otherise, a lovely dinner.Special Features:
- Great Food - Huge DelaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014We greatly enjoyed our meal on Sat. night at Shoemaker's. The only draw back was that the kitchen was running very behind and it took a tremendous amount of time to receive our food - over an hour from when we ordered our entrees (we did not order an appetizer, soup or salad). At times, our lovely waitress was nowhere to be seen and we never received an explanation or apology, but we did overhear her apologizing to the table next to us with the explanation that the restaurant had a large party earlier in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VictorGDined on 7/12/2014Absolutely fantastic in every way. Don't think we've EVER had a better meal!!Special Features:
- Awesome FindGWizDined on 7/9/2014Friends recommended Shoemaker's Grille while in Lynchburg attending a conference. A friend and I decided to give it a try for dinner. We had lovely drinks called "Pink Pump". How appropriate!! I had decided on my dinner choice until the water mentioned that grouper was that night's special. Chanced y mind completely because grouper is my favorite fish to order when in Florida. But in Lynchburg, VA I have to say that I lhas the very best grouper that I have ever had anywhere.Special Features:
- dinner with friendsClairebDined on 7/9/2014The food is always good and served/cooked as requested. The meat is always awesome. Just a little notification: we had burgers and none of our buns were warm but cold... could be even better with warm buns! Definitely the best cheesecake I have ever tasted!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2014My wife and I stopped here for an early dinner date (I think it was 5PM). We were seated, and served quickly. Though the food was very good, what really stood out to us was the service. Our server was always seemingly nearby when needed and on our way out we were thanked by servers who had not waited on us and told to have a nice evening. We will certainly come back when we are in the area again.Special Features:
- Great night - will be back soonDoLoDined on 6/27/2014Selected from the restaurant week menu. Great quality food. Excellent service. Temperature of the dining room was just right.Special Features:
- melt in your mouth foodvirginialeeDined on 6/27/2014We visited during Lynchburg restaurant week- appetizer, entrée and dessert for $25/each. with drinks & taxes, the meal was about $90. Even at this price, it was well worth it. Both my husband and I got different food so we could taste test various items. Every single morsel was Wonderful. Steak was succulent, cod was delicious, seafood bisque and fried green tomatoes(need the recipe for these) were fantastic. The desserts- NY cheese cake-yummy and the flourless torte was good. Drinks were made very well. No complaints- even the bread was fresh and tasty. Service was good...but don't go if you expect cheap fast food. This is a "take your time"dining experience. Totally recommend.Special Features:
- Resturant Weekwlm002Dined on 6/26/2014Lived in Lynchburg for years and never been to Shoemakers untill now. Loved everything about it. Came for restaurant week, and the menu choices were fanaminal. Totaly would recommend this to people.Great restaurant to go to, but you do have to budget for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!GKingDined on 6/26/2014Food was excellent and the service superb. Wonderful experience all the way around.Special Features:
- Good Food But LoudiiTimothy47Dined on 6/26/2014My wife and I enjoyed the food, the service was professional, and the cost was as expected for the type of restaurant. The room was dimmly lit, but very loud. Instead of leaning into one another so no one else could hear the whispers of sweet romance, we were leaning into one another just so we could hear one another over the commotion all around us.Special Features: