1312 Commerce Street
Lynchburg, VA 24504Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shoemakersdining.com/
- Phone: 4344551510
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Group from 8 to 100
- Private Party Contact: Lucy Smith 4344551510
A word from Shoemaker's Grille
Connected to The Craddock Terry Hotel at Bluffwalk Center, Shoemaker's Grille offers the finest cuisine in Lynchburg.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Shoemaker's Grille - Best Restaurants in Lynchburg ›
Shoemaker's Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (75)romantic (52)fit for foodies (37)good for groups (34)notable wine list (32)neighborhood gem (30)great for outdoor dining (17)vibrant bar scene (14)scenic view (7)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2014We've been here several times for special occasions and it is bar none the best restaurant we've been to in the State of Virginia since moving here ten years ago. Typically restaurants with these prices give you a meatball size portion. Not Shoemakers. Portions are generous, presentation is great and flavors burst in your mouth! As owners of a B&B, we recommend this place to all of our guests who are looking for fine dining. We are 30 minutes away, but it's well worth the drive.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerRevBySandbarDined on 10/18/2014My wife & I chose Shoemaker's Grill on Saturday night to celebrate our 56th wedding anniversary. It turned out to be an excellent choice. We were seated immediately upon arriving and soon after that our wine order was filled. My wife ordered the lobster special and I selected a medium filet along with a spinach salad to share. The food was excellent except for a bit too much potato on my plate and overcooked asparagus for my wife's side. The floor manger saw my wife struggling to get the meat out of the lobster claws. She took the plate to the kitchen and returned it with the meat ready to eat! We happened to mention to our waitress about our celebration and our dessert was accompanied with complimentary bubbly. A great experience!Special Features:
- took my girlfriend. she loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Therefore I loved it. The food was ok but I guess I did just get a burger. The cheapest thing they had so I probably would have enjoyed the food more had I Got a steak or somethingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerpeggyVIPDined on 10/16/2014We visited the Lynchburg area from Northern Virginia. We enjoyed our stay at the Craddock Terry Hotel and seeing the sights in the area. Shoemakers was a special treat. The service, ambiance, and the food were all outstanding. We certainly liked the prices for such a fine dining experience. We would highly recommend if you are in Lynchburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014My experience might have been better if the waitress had not broken a glass of wine on me and drenched my clothing. It was a bit cool through dinner in wet clothes. She did bring me a napkin to dry myself but neglected to remove all of the glass on the floor between the guests.Special Features:
- Worth the drivenotthatoldyetDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I have come down from Charlottesville for a number of special occasions including my 60th and our anniversary. The food is always delicious, the service attentive and the atmosphere quiet and private. The crab cakes are the best we've had and the key lime pie a perfect finish. Will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014My wife and I had a great dinner experience. We have been to dinner here a few times before and enjoyed it, but this time the food was outstanding. I had fillet mignon and she had the fish that was a special for the evening. Both were cooked perfectly. The service was prompt and friendly as always.Special Features:
- Nice, upscale diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/2/2014The food was excellent, the service was also above and beyond. One of the reasons the service rates so high is that the waiter had the foresight to bring us a small flashlight!! Otherwise, I don't know if we could have read the menu. Why so dark? The surroundings, which is an old shoe factory, are charming. Also, as usual today, the place was air conditioned to about 65 degrees -- had to keep my jacket on. I would definitely return here to eat on my next visit to Lynchburg. I thought the food was very well prepared (had fish) and delicious. Not Too Much done to it, as is sometimes the case today with "trendy" places. Wines choices by the glass rather limited, and quite pricey.Special Features:
- great wedding anniversary dinnereatsout1Dined on 10/1/2014oustanding restaurant, the best fine restaurant in Lynchburg...tasty food w/lots of variety and choices, excellent service w/very friendly staff who are accommodating, all in an atmosphere of elegance. my wife and I enjoyed our 37th in regal style...thanks Shoemakers!Special Features:
- Best Dinner in LynchburgsunsetdonVIPDined on 9/24/2014WOW! This restaurant is in the heart of the historic area, next door/adjoining the Craddock Terry Hotel. It was formerly a warehouse for the shoe factory and features many paintings and art items depicting that history. The food is over the top. I had one of the best steaks I have ever eaten, with blue cheese on top. My guest had salmon, which was also considered excellent. Excellent wine, great service. This is a place that should be on your A list for Lynchburg. It's busy. Get a reservation. Also, parking is tight so arrive early and get a drink at the excellent bar.Special Features:
- Bit of a let downOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/19/2014Server was attentive. Unfortunately the burger came lukewarm and the tuna also arrived cold. The manager did try to help, but her hovering while I re-checked my food made for an uncomfortable interaction. It came back barely warm and when pressed by the manager I just didn't want to make a scene nor deal with it anymore. I wanted to leave but my dining companions' food was fine. SO...can't really recommend it though other diners seemed to be enjoying themselves. They did take the cold/lukewarm tuna off my bill so, there's that. And they do have a good wine list.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014My wife and I were impressed in every way. Our server Alex was excellent and the food was the very best!Special Features:
- Excellent, better than Morton's!letseatDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I had our anniversary dinner at Shoemaker's and it was phenomenal! Both of us had steak, new York strip and filet and both were outstanding with excellent flavor. Highly recommend the mac & cheese, also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionAnniversaryDined on 9/6/2014Perhaps a special occasion night spot. Nice atmosphere. Very friendly and attentive service. Nice quite dining rooms.Special Features:
- Mouthwatering!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014The food was incredible and the service was excellent! It was an wonderful way to spend an anniversary dinner!Special Features:
- Girls night outCatchingUpDined on 9/5/2014I got together some close girlfriends from high school since our 25th year reunion was coming up. I loved that we were put in a private room so we could talk and laugh without feeling like we were bothering anyone. The food was outstanding! Drinks are overpriced I think so we each only had one drink. We all agreed we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice nite4u2decideDined on 9/5/2014The service was excellent. No delays. Courteous and knowledgable. Excellent food. The salmon was perfect. Great proportion. Wine lift was excellent. Always love it here. Also great for meetings in their meeting rooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionAlwayslookingDined on 8/30/2014Our anniversary dinner was perfect. Food, service were excellent. Best around. Silver Oak by the glass was a special surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnertourist4surDined on 8/28/2014Living in central Virginia most of my adult life. I have tried almost every local restaurants and until we experienced Shoemakers we didn't think there was a outstanding restaurant. My daughter suggested Shoemakers since she always goes there for birthday dinner and it did not disappoint. Great service, food was delicious and the atmosphere was what we were looking for to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steaks in LynchburgJacksonDined on 8/25/2014We seldom go downtown Lynchburg for dining. We've been looking for a good steakhouse but have been disappointed because the steakhouses in the 'burg have back on their meat quality and serving size to keep prices in check. Not so at Shoemakers. I had the Kona-rubbed filet mignon and my wife had the bleu cheese crusted ribeye and they were both to die for! Our server was super friendly and helpful. This will be a regular stop for us from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful dinner find in LynchburgOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014We were staying at the Craddock Terry Hotel and decided to try their restaurant. We LOVED it! Our table had the rib eye steak, burger, and the wasabi encrusted salmon with crab cake. All were delicious. For beginners we had the caprese salad and the escargot which were wonderful. Service was prompt and professional out on the patio, we lacked for nothing. Try the Jefferson Vineyards Chardonnay; yummy! We highly recommend Shoemakers AND the Craddock Terry Hotel while in Lynchburg!Special Features:
- Wonderful special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014This was so good and is a great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent Service, Excellent FoodZekeDined on 8/16/2014The service has always been outstanding - made special for two or handled efficiently when with a large group. The specials created are amazing and worth exploring because you will be rewarded with your perfectly cooked to order steak or seafood choice accompained by unique seasonal sides. Desserts are to die for- save some room to treat yourself to the Chocolate Black Out Cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took mom there for her 85th bday...forestDined on 8/14/2014The staff treated her like she was family... I was very happy with the attention she received, and the food and atmosphere were perfect ... it was a special 85th birthday... our server was very pleasant and did a great job...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsbrucebrenickDined on 8/13/2014We called in advance for a table that is located in a quite area, got it! We asked for a special wine, got it! We were served with smiles and the evening was outstanding not to mention the food......I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- ExcellentoceanviewDined on 8/11/2014We have been to Shoemaker's Grille many times, and took visiting out of town guests there for dinner. They were very impressed!Special Features:
- Dissappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We visit this restaurant about three to four times a year for special occasions. The delicious food and great service has kept us coming back despite the prices. However, during our recent visit we were extremely dissappointed with the quality of our meal. At our table, we had a variety of meats, steaks ranging from: filet, ribeye and sirloin along with seafood. In the past the steaks we're melt in your mouth delicious, very tender cuts and so savouring. Unfortunately we cannot say the same time for this recent visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost GreatMonicaDined on 8/2/2014Our party of six had a wonderful dinner on a Saturday night -- with the exception of one steak being medium versus medium-rare, the food was first-rate and our server was exceptional. The only problem was the length of service....we certainly did not want to be rushed, but the intervals between individual courses and payment was much longer than necessary.Special Features:
- Great place for romantic dininglove3kidsDined on 8/2/2014Shoemaker's proved to be a great restaurant for celebrating our anniversary. The food was worth every penny and the service made the experience even better. Every aspect of the meal was great from appetizer to dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 42anniversaryDined on 7/30/2014Making reservations online was very easy. Shoemaker's was very quick to confirm the reservation. Then a day or two before a reminder was sent,this was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so sousuallynotacriticDined on 7/29/2014Because of all the great reviews I expected a really great meal. The romaine in the ceasar salad was wilted and the dressing tasted like mayo. The tuna had no flavor and the salmon was overcooked. There was too much wrong to bother complaining. The waiter was attentive - we never had to look for him.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014One of the best restaurants in town in a charming historic building. Beautiful terrace for dining or drinks, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food/service do not measure upacato6570VIPDined on 7/25/2014Tasteless describes our experience... Flat iron steak (Waffle House quality-served as a big slab vs sliced for salad?), salmon, Mac n cheese, succotash (which specifically called out spinach-had all of 4 leaves)...blah. Server was in the dark about several items when asked for descriptions. As a "steakhouse", you assume the sides will be amazing -not! The sautéed mushrooms and caprese salad were fantastic. Weird the server felt they had to correct 2 patrons (2 tables) on "caprese/caprase" pronunciation. Overall, just not up to par. Everyone was very friendly walking in/out. Outside dining looked great if you don't look to the side where there is major construction. Great design concept inside. Stick to their sister restaurant Water Stone.Special Features:
- Nice evening outWineluver1987Dined on 7/24/2014Shoemakers is a nice place for a special evening out. I think the food could be a little better for the price though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OuttonightDined on 7/21/2014My husband and I enjoyed dinner at Shoemakers on July 21, 2014. We were celebrating our 29th anniversary and we're congratulated warmly by our server. I ordered the filet and crab cake. My husband had the bacon cheeseburger. Both were fantastuc. I cut my filet with a fork! We enjoyed a crab dip appetuzer, and creme Brule for dessert. Everything was delucious. Service was wonderful. We would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!!!luvgoodfoodDined on 7/19/2014This was our first experience at Shoemaker's Grille, and it is now, by far, our new favorite restaurant. We only wish we had found it sooner. Everything was perfect! It would be impossible to improve upon the food or the service. It is a little more expensive than most of the others, but if you enjoy excellent food and a quiet atmosphere, it's worth every penny. Clientele can dress up or go casual, as we did, making it an even more comfortable and welcoming experience. We will be bringing all of our out-of-town guests here in the future. There is no need to travel any farther than Lynchburg for fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TurkDined on 7/18/2014The food is amazing. We sat outside and it was very nice. The service was a bit slow. Thank goodness there were floaters to help with missing items. However, I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is "phase 3" for Shoemaker'sWallyDined on 7/18/2014When if first opened, Shoemaker's was wildly overpriced for the quality of the food. The restaurant was seldom full. So, they tried lowering the food prices. Unfortunately, they also lowered the food quality. Now, in their third attempt, the menu prices have gone up, but not as high as they originally were, and the food has gotten better than it was when the prices were lower, in "phase 2". Service is excellent. Food is now pretty good, but not gourmet. We go there for special occasions now & then. Usually with people from out of town.Special Features:
- Fantastic- ShoemakersgagaDined on 7/15/2014This was our first visit to Shoemakers. It was a wonderful experience. We cannot recommend this restaurant enough! We cannot wait to go again. The steaks were the best that we have ever had in a restaurant. The service was outstanding.Special Features:
- 63 Anniversary DinnerWineandDineDined on 7/14/2014The food, service and wine were outstanding as usual. Unfortunately there was a table with very small, very loud children seated in the main dining room who added considerably to the already surprisingly loud noise level, especially considering the decor, lighting provide an otherwise "adult" ambiance. As this was my only criticism and hopefully will prove a rare occurance. Otherise, a lovely dinner.Special Features: