1505 Mission St.
South Pasadena, CA 91030Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://restaurantshiro.com/index.html
- Phone: 6267994774x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm; Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm; Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Asian, Pan-Asian, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Luis A. Ortega Banuelos, Chef de Cusine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Most Wednesday Nights: Wednesday Night Bistro. 3 Course Prix Fixe Meal for $35 per person. $5 additional for a glass of wine (per person) .
Chef's Tasting Thursday through Sunday for 2 or more persons. $85 per person. Wine pairing also available for additional $45 per person.
Prices exclude Tax and Gratuity.
A word from Shiro Restaurant
Restaurant Shiro has been named the Zagat Guide's number one restaurant and is consistently one of the highest rated establishments in the guide (#5 in 2011; #2 for service in 2013). Shiro is summed up by it's ingredients. Menu items are driven by the best available, nothing less is acceptable. Year in and year out, for over 25 years, diners have enjoyed our French and Pacific Rim inspired menu. A tradition of fine dining with excellent, friendly service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Shiro Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Shiro Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)special occasion (51)neighborhood gem (46)romantic (22)good for groups (20)notable wine list (14)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Not up to your Reviews!ToughluvVIPDined on 9/13/2014Where was the "French"? Where was the potato puree under my delicious John Dory? Where was a "decent" table for 2 not in the line of fire of either the wait staff ingress/egress or the Mens Room? Probably the best "bussing" in Pasadena/South Pas....probably not one of the better expensive meals in town..yet we'll try again...because the parking was easy/free...the "welcome" and wait staff friendly.... please spring for some better stainless utensils...and please improve your wine and beer selections...and next time, please offer some sparkling water...you'd have generated even more $s than our $190 for two...did I really pay that much!?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014great,great,great in every way.supberb food.great wine list at reasonable prices.perfect service.friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- jmk2VIPDined on 8/30/2014Their signature catfish dish ti outstanding and should not be missed! The atmosphere, service, selection of special dishes makes this a restaurant that regulars really love.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsSPResidentDined on 8/23/2014Shiro's is consistently superior with their food and service. We had a birthday celebration for our last visit and they made the evening memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent As AlwaysCaliDined on 8/16/2014My daughter lives in Las Vegas and whenever she visits, Shiro's is a must. It is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a joymindaluvDined on 8/12/2014Shiro is simply our favorite. The food is always excellent, the service is incredibly attentive. And Sherrill, the co-owner, is the best front of the house you will ever meet. The menu is loaded with favorites they've been serving for years, but there is always something new and exciting to try.Special Features:
- Hidden GemJermeisterDined on 8/9/2014We were looking for a new place to try out for our 7 year wedding anniversary and found Shiro on Open Table. Located in an unassuming storefront on Mission /Fair Oaks area of South Pasadena, we noticed the linen tablecloths near the window seating, and were pleasantly suprised with the friendly staff and quiet ambience and pleasant background music.For the appetizer, we tried the spinach stuffed ravioli with truffle oil and truffle shavings, amazing!I had the black cod with miso glaze and my wife had the spinach wrapped halibut with champagne sauce. Both were 5 star plates. We will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Count on itdrlljVIPDined on 8/2/2014Shiro, in South Pasadena, has been around for some time. It never fails to provide welcoming, courteous, and responsive service. The ambiance is genteel, even soothing, but you can tell everybody there is enjoying the experience. The food is consistently fabulous with portions an ideal size. In addition to the items on the menu, there are off-menu specials of appetizers, the main course, and dessert. I invariably order fish, this last time sauteed loup de mer (French sea bass), and my companion tried the roasted John Dory. Both were deemed superb. I also sampled my companion's chestnut dessert and discovered I loved chestnuts. I had a delightful apple tart with ice cream and a caramel sauce. Wines by the class are well chosen.Special Features:
- Amazing food!forkandknife08Dined on 8/1/2014We brought our mom here for dinner to celebrate her birthday. It's a nice, casual place. Service was wonderful, and the food was really fantastic. It was all delicious but the highlights were two of the specials -- the salmon tartar tacos and the truffle ravioli. The flavors for each dish were perfectly balanced and amazing! Everyone in our party loved the food. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Shiro's keeps it's high standardsPalateDined on 8/1/2014Every time I go there it feels like the first time the food was fantastic fresh tasting, just thinking about it makes my mouth watering. They are always consisted in there food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodPauliVIPDined on 7/29/2014Good food - colleagues really enjoyed the Black Cod while I enjoyed a steak. Menu is very limited but dishes were very good. For desert all diners were very satisfied with their choices but my Creme Brule was not good - its served cold and was very runny. Ambience is somewhat lacking with very little decor and therefore atmosphere. Overall good value and great service.Special Features:
- Great dining in South PasadenatonyleuDined on 7/20/2014I walk by Shiro Restaurant frequently on my way home from Metro Mission Gold Line Station and always wanted to try this place. On this special occasion we celebrated my wife's birthday with our 20-yr old son. We really enjoyed the food that we ordered to shared; love their stuffed Chinese Ravioli with Shiitake mushroom appetizer, daily special ribeye steak very tender and juicy, and the signature Whole Sizzling Catfish, fried with sliced ginger wedged between the cuts, served with Ponzu sauce looks and tastes as great as it does from the windows whenever I walked by! Service was awesome; manager, waiter and staffs constantly walked by to check with us. Very quiet dinning experience, a must try when you are in city of South Pasadena!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites!CC66FoodiesDined on 7/19/2014We love this restaurant soooo much!! - we only wish we could afford to go there more often! The owner is so welcoming and sweet... makes us feel like she is welcoming us into her home. The catfish is one of our favorites but every single thing we've tried is not just good but exquisite. We've always had great service, love the specialty drinks and yummy desserts! A great place to go anytime, but it's our go to place for any special occasion, especially Valentine's day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!GourmetdinerVIPDined on 7/18/2014Shiro's never fails to deliver on great food. The catfish is as good as always but many "specials" such as the black cod, uni linguini,and salmon taco's are excellent. You are always warmly welcomed here at this great neighborhood place.Special Features:
- Dinner by the windowSJ90042Dined on 7/15/2014We've been several times. Immensely enjoyed the tuna tartare and sweetbreads for starters, and the softshell crab and lamb chops for dinner. Service is impeccable but not at all stuffy; in fact, the front of house staff seems to never change. The host has been there all 14 years. The menu is not lengthy, but it is high quality. Two tables sit by the window - ideal for people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lucky neighborhooddinerVIPDined on 7/10/2014Pleasant dinner; a lucky find while visiting South Pasadena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/9/2014Great food and service for over 20 years. Best place for fish in the LA area; consistent and superb.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/8/2014Excellent in every way! One of the best restaurants in Pasadena, and perhaps in all of L.A.Special Features:
- Chef's Tasting MenuKimiDined on 7/3/2014I would highly recommend the ctm. We enjoyed all courses. We devoured every morsel. Wine list had many great selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RicknDeeDined on 6/28/2014We have been coming here regularly for the last 20 years or so. Although we generally end up with the cat-fish, everything is well prepared and delicious. The wait staff are very friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal at ShiroOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/26/2014Always rewarding, we've made Shiro a tradition for celebrating our anniversary. Wonderful food, gracious and attentive service, remarkably friendly staff, an inviting and comfortable space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchLaurasfDined on 6/26/2014Food consistently excellent. Service superb. Amazing that they can keep up the quality over the years.Special Features:
- Outstanding!PhyllisVIPDined on 6/21/2014Always an outstanding meal...every bite is special. The atmosphere, the owners, and the waiters/waitresses are the best. Highly recommend going to Shiro. Try the Black Cod...yum!Special Features:
- LesliewinefoodluvDined on 6/20/2014Did the Chef's tasting menu/dinner with the wine pairings. It was a delightful dinner - excellent food and ideal wine pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, great serviceMelcottonDined on 6/20/2014My husband did NOT want to go here. He assumed it was ethnic due to the name. Halfway through dinner he stated, "This is a great meal. And the service is good, too." This is not something that he says too often.Special Features:
- Always the catfishOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/12/2014Don't come for the ambience.....there are many better places. The fish is wonderful. My personal favorite is the catfish. You must call to make sure it's in stock. Other dishes like the salmon are wonderful. The vegetables are an afterthought. Wine list decent, I'd bring my own and pay the $20 corkage. Lovely quiet restaurant excellent for great food and conversation
- Grad dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014Very attentive service. Food was excellent. We could not ask for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for our AnniversaryATeamDined on 6/7/2014The owner greeted us and after sitting us at our table, offered us a glass of champagne as her gift for our anniversary and, later a dessert on the house. We then tried a salmon carpaccio - amazing. Have had nothing like it ever. Our dinners were a twist on the usual - deliciously so! Very attentive staff, creative offerings, attention to detail...a really wonderful place.Special Features:
- Bistro DinnerHankVIPDined on 5/28/2014Great sea bass last night. One person had the duck and said it was great.Special Features:
- Not so FrenchFaturdayDined on 5/23/2014Found this restaurant by typing in "French Restaurant" in Open Table. Not so sure if this was really a "French" restaurant. After all, the deep fried catfish with Ponzu sauce -- a popular dish at this place -- was out of place a bit. Food was so so. Dessert, not worth the calories.Special Features:
- Birthday Girl at Shiro'sShirosBirthdayGirlDined on 5/23/2014Always enjoy dining at Shiro's, especially for my birthday! Cheryl and the waiters offer the best service in town and the food is absolutely delicious (and always piping hot!)!Special Features:
- Nice surprise in neighborhoodGaryDined on 5/23/2014We are fairly new to the neighborhood and this was our first dining experience at Shiro. We were not sure what "French/Pacific Rim" might be and decided to give it a try. We chose two different "entre specials" and were very pleased with both - light and flavorful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Part of the familyLuvshirosDined on 5/22/2014I love Shiros. Every person I've taken to Shiros just feels so welcomed and love the food. Excellent wine list too. Each and every dining experience is wonderful. You're made to feel like you're part of Shiros. I have only positive things to say about Shiros food, chefs and staff....I love them all. I dine at Shiros at least 3-4 times a month. We do Easter, Mother's Dat and all our special occasions.Special Features:
- The following 172 reviews are from the Shiro Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great FoodCaliDined on 5/17/2014Whenever my daughter visits (from Las Vegas) dining at Shiro Restaurant is a must. Everything was awesome as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Asian fusionJimmieDined on 5/10/2014Excellent food and wonderful service. Quiet and personable, with wonderful, original flavors. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Eternal GemGlenKDined on 5/10/2014This restaurant has been around for 27 years and for good reasons ...the food and service have been consistently outstanding making this a South Pasadena culinary gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding DiningDickDined on 5/1/2014Very interesting menu with good food and service. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!AnnaDined on 4/19/2014Shiro Restaurant is one of our favorite "go to" place when we choose to dine out. From the convenience of easy parking to the last bite of the fabulous profiteroles, we have nothing but high praise. We especially enjoy taking our out-of-town guests to Shiro, and they always rave. Great food, great service, convenient location, wonderful attention to details...we truly enjoy this gem.Special Features:
- Classy old schoolSethVIPDined on 4/10/2014High class, high Level cuisine. Nice service. Reminds me of the best of the 90s , fresh fish sourced and prepared with great care.Special Features:
- warm atmoshere/great foodmfoodieDined on 4/5/2014A reliable neighborhood choice for many years now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.