Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace
321 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brownpalace.com/
- Phone: 3032973111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Bill Dexter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off site catering is available from the Ship Tavern or the Brown Palace Hotel catering menus.
- Private Party Facilities: Any of the Brown Palace Hotel's catering rooms may be reserved based on availability.
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Bird, Ship Tavern Manager 3032973111x3225
- Entertainment: Pianist plays Wednesday – Saturday: 8:30pm – 11:30pm
- Special Events: International award winning "Breckenridge Burbon barrel aged and infused with Brown Palace rooftop Honey"
A word from Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace
Enjoy Ship Tavern’s own micro-brewed beer on tap along with a large selection of bottled beers while watching sporting events on the plasma TV. Ship Tavern features a casual menu and the freshest seafood in town. This Denver Colorado restaurant is also home to the region’s best prime rib, Rocky Mountain trout, prime steaks, fresh seafood & the best lobster salad sandwich in town.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (30)great for lunch (26)neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (13)romantic (9)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (8)good for groups (7)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Everything Was Perfect!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014My wife and I had a great meal, to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. The hostess greeted us warmly, and congratulated us on our anniversary milestone (I had included a comment on the booking screen, and it was noted on her computer seating chart). Our waiter, Walter, was very attentive and friendly. My wife had the French Onion Soup, and I had the Seafood Chowder...both were excellent. Our entrees were the Kobe Burger (wife), and the Prime Rib (me). Both were prepared exactly as ordered, and delicious. We were surprised with a complementary dessert, a Black Bottom Pie for two!! We couldn't have been more pleased with the entire experience!!! This is definitely our "special occasion" restaurant of choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ship is ListingDeanDined on 8/8/2014We've been guests at the Ship Tavern a number of times over the years and, until this visit, left completely satisfied. But this time we had two unexpected disappointments, in service and food. Our server, Jack, seemed less than organized. He did notice we had no bread at our table - and commented on it - but his promise to correct that didn't come true until halfway through dinner. And I would suggest to Jack that when he adjusts a table setting he not touch the center of the plates with his bare fingers. And you might imagine our surprise when, later that evening in our hotel room, we found the "cheesecake" had all the delicious toppings but no actual cheesecake. We'll be back, but with lowered expectations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordered the Philly Cheese SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014Thought that if it is cooked in the Brown Palace, it would be wonderful, however, the food was very bland, did not have any flavor at all. Most likely won't return.Special Features:
- A Lovely Eveningjaykd22VIPDined on 7/30/2014I celebrated an anniversary with my hubby. We had a wonderful and romantic evening. Our entree order must have gotten lost in the kitchen becasue those took about an hour but our waitress gave us complimentary glasses of wine so we were happy :) The food was delicious. I had the shrimp scampi pasta and the calamari. Both were sooo good!Special Features:
- MABSDined on 7/30/2014Much too noisy to be able to comfortably talk in the evening. At lunch the noise level was different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime Rib Heavenwest2926Dined on 7/28/2014In Denver for a conference, I selected Ship Tavern for dinner with a client based on location and prior reviews. The Brown Palace hotel is a historical gem, and the Ship Tavern fits right in. Our server was one of the best I've encountered in any city restaurant - engaging, knowledgeable, offering good suggestions -- clearly a pro. He pointed our party to the prime rib, a Ship Tavern specialty. We all selected it (in different sized portions). The results were splendid, a succulent well-seasoned portion accompanied by fresh vegetables. We left pleasantly satiated, and more than happy to recommend this establishment.Special Features:
- Decor appealing, food was delicioust4twoDined on 7/23/2014Model sailing ships and dark wood walls with antique lanterns. Both Rocky Mountain trout and the beef filet were superb. Timely, very friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner at The Ship TavernJeanneDined on 7/12/2014The clam chowder was good the seafood fresh but the broth was too thick. The noise level was a bit too loud and it was difficult to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!PatchesDined on 7/12/2014Great food! Great service! Great atmosphere! Will definitely dine there again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReturnedDined on 7/11/2014The Prime Rib and the server were EXCELLENT. Both were our main reasons for returning to the Ship Tavern!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodistaVIPDined on 7/11/2014A delightful experience, always. We dine there frequently.Special Features:
- Gourmand's lunchCommensalDogDined on 7/9/2014Best lunch in Colorado. Expressly designed for deipnosophists, so a business lunch? Perfect.Special Features:
- Don't forget this place!Karen41Dined on 6/15/2014Great food, service, and ambiance. Quiet and feels secluded. Went for Sunday lunch/brunch it was wonderful but almost empty. Prime rib was wonderful. My kids even raved about the food from the kids menu. The other restaurants in the Brown Palace seemed to get all the brunch traffic, but The Ship was outstanding if you are looking for good food in a quiet spot.Special Features:
- A Family Favorite for YearsKatieKate3Dined on 6/4/2014I've loved the Ship Tavern since I was a child. The menu is varied, including sandwiches and some of Denver's best burgers to yummy, more formal entrees. We're always proud to take guests from out-of-town to the Ship Tavern. It's just the right blend of casual and "up market." We can always count on a very tasty meal, served well in a unique setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Male chauvinism is alive and wellluncheonhostess4Dined on 6/3/2014Female wait staff and male manager lavished attention on my male client and ignored me, the woman who made the reservation and hosted the lunch. The food was undercooked and cold when it arrived.
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2014We had a very good experience, as always, at the Ship Tavern. We will be back when the occasion arises. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- howellndogDined on 5/14/2014Love the Tavern. I enjoy taking clients a d friends there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedVIPDined on 5/6/2014Our waiter, Don, could not have done a better job. The Philly cheesesteak was VERY dry.Special Features:
- Consistently exceeds expectationsStargazedDined on 5/1/2014The Brown Palace is known for their house made Caesar as well as their prime rib, but don't discount one of their many other options. The scallops and tarragon risotto were just fabulous (their wine offerings were as well). The service is unmatched and the waitstaff aims to please with a very professional demeanor. We like to come here for special occasions, but we're finding The Ship Tavern to be one of our favorite weekly dining spots as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Atmosphere in the TavernFunDinerDined on 4/26/2014The Ships Tavern was recommended to m by a friend for a place to go for an upscale casual anniversary dinner before a theater engagement. Spot on. Dressy or casual is acceptable attire. The wait staff was efficient, did not hover but was attentive and professional. We opted for several appetizers and a shared salad to stay on the light side. The shaved prime rib quesadilla was outstanding in flavor, servicing size and a great value. A nice old pub atmosphere inside a ship made it not quiet but not rowdy, enjoyable. Highly recommend for a place to stop in for a grog or meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 488 reviews are from the Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace reviews archive.
- Well quite honestly the TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Well quite honestly the Tavern wouldn't be as desirable to us if it were not for the pianist, John, as he is absolutely fabulous! However we have always enjoyed our meals and gatherings there, he is just an added, delightful benefit.Special Features:
- DC GuestKRSREPEATDined on 4/4/2014Took a DC client to the Ship Tavern for dinner meeting. We were seated promptly at our 7:30 reservation. Entire staff was knowledgeable, courteous and friendly My guest was very impressed.Special Features:
- I don't know why but I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/4/2014I don't know why but I have always liked the ambiance of The Ship's Tavern. It has kind of a pub feel with the dark wood and low lighting. The food never really disappoints. The prime rib is always excellent. The lobster bisque had a generous serving of lobster on top of a very nicely seasoned bisque. The scallops were excellent on top of a risotto perfectly cooked with the most delicate mushrooms cooked in the risotto. The service is always very professional. The wine list is a little pricey and does not have a very large selection, but other than that, the experience was great.Special Features:
- We had a fantastic meal atloveroflifeDined on 4/4/2014We had a fantastic meal at Ship's Tavern. The best rib-eye steak I've eaten in a very long time, marinated just right, with fresh vegetables and potato fingerlings. The lobster bisque was full of lobster, which is hard to find these days. Albert, our waiter, was a sweetheart! Located inside the Brown Palace Hotel, it's a find in the downtown area, and not as expensive as other well-known name steakhouses. Ship's Tavern is known for their prime rib, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EFFICIENT SERVICE. Good varietyrocketmanDined on 4/4/2014EFFICIENT SERVICE. Good variety on menu. comfortable. will return.Special Features:
- Too casual for the priceGenaDined on 3/29/2014Food was ok but the atmosphere felt like a cheap New England luncheonette . Went for my sons 21st Birthday... Thank god for the upscale cigar bar,,,,,truly classySpecial Features:
- Tables crowded together detractedrpaseDined on 3/28/2014Tables crowded together detracted from the experience. Food very expensive for the quality.
- Great ExperienceDonaldDined on 3/28/2014A long time favorite it had been a while since we were downtown to eat there. The food was great, service the same. It was a fun place to go to.Special Features:
- Terrible dress code. In someOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/27/2014Terrible dress code. In some cases, like a locker room--sweat clothes, baseball hats on backwards, and the like. Loud drinking women at the bar.Special Features:
- Great food, but wear ear plugs!FreddieDined on 3/21/2014We got there around 5:30pm so it may have been Happy Hour in the restaurant. Men were shouting, women were screeching and kids were making a racket. The tables were packed in tightly and hard to get around. Being a party of four seated in the corner, we couldn't hear one another speak. We had to wait for the walk back to our hotel to catch up on things. The food was well prepared and presented. I would say the menu had something for everyone. They have a fantastic chef and servers. The bar selection was outstanding. If you want someplace catch up with friends, unless you want to join in the shouting, I would not recommend it. I would find another place for dinner.Special Features:
- A Special Place for Special FriendsbplonlineDined on 3/15/2014The Ships Tavern is now our favorite place to bring out-of-town guests for a special dining experience WITHOUT breaking the bank. Dress is casual (guys you don't need to wear a jacket to dinner) and the service is fabulous. Valet parking is free with validation (remember to tip) or consider Light Rail which drops you only a block away! We love the beauty and elegance of the Brown and love to show off this gem to our guests!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great bison burgerwineloverDined on 3/15/2014We had a wonderful time looking at all the ship models. The buffalo (bison) burger was done perfectly. The homemade chips were outstanding and very plentiful. My dining friend had the reuben, which was also very good. Friendly wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy birthday dinnerJenDDined on 3/14/2014Took my husband to dinner for his birthday and his first time to the Brown Palace. Seated in a wonderful, quiet booth. Excellent service! Grey Goose was having a promo so we tried their pear drink special...very good (and free that night!). We both ordered steak (prime rib and rib eye). Both were very good; cooked perfectly, tender and juicy. My only complaint is the sauce on the ribeye was a little on the salty side. Highly recommend Ships Tavern. Looking forward to going again for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met expectationsFrequentGuest444Dined on 3/12/2014This place can be hit or miss, but our visit this time was a hit. It was nice that our server remembered us from a previous visit. Although the food is pricey, it's worth it for the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Denver ClassicFranklinDined on 3/8/2014In Denver it is a place to feel at home and enjoy with family and friends. You are unlikely to see any hip hopers here it's just not there scene.Special Features:
- Very Disappointed in the Food!sha4Dined on 2/28/2014We did not think the food was good at all!! Not even the dessert!! My husband had the fish and I had the chicken. We felt like they were trying to put something together cheap & tasted like a cheap restaurant. It was not worth the money at all!! We even had to send our food back because it was cold the first time we got it. I don't know what happened this year for restaurant week and I hope this is not the norm!! Beautiful hotel awful food in the Taven!! They either need to do it right and represent the quality of food they do offer or do not participate for restaurant week. It's better than serving awful food!! It was not worth the money!!! We regret choosing this restaurant!
- Fun ambianceKathDined on 2/28/2014This place really reminded me of a ship's tavern! The piano player was amazing and the ambiance was great. The food was not that great to me and especially for the high prices I expected it to be good! The service was extremely great and I would go back just for the seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little memoryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2014For more than 50 yeas, the Ship Tavern has been a special site for me. When my husband and I lived in Denver, it was a romantic get-away dinner spot. Now that he is gone and I am in Boulder, I bring guests to enjoy the warmth of the setting. I know everything must change, but it is nice to find a place that is pretty much as I remember it.Special Features:
- Awesomejj2denverDined on 2/26/2014If you are a prime rib fan, you have to have the open face prime rib for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/25/2014Great food! Went for resturant week a little disappointed that the menu didnt give as many selections as it stated on the restaurant week menu, but overall was good. The service was great and the appetizers were amazing!!! The quesadilla were to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.