Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace
321 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brownpalace.com/
- Phone: (303) 297-3111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Bill Dexter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off site catering is available from the Ship Tavern or the Brown Palace Hotel catering menus.
- Private Party Facilities: Any of the Brown Palace Hotel's catering rooms may be reserved based on availability.
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Bird, Ship Tavern Manager 3032973111x3225
- Entertainment: Pianist plays Wednesday – Saturday: 8:30pm – 11:30pm
- Special Events: International award winning "Breckenridge Burbon barrel aged and infused with Brown Palace rooftop Honey"
A word from Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace
Enjoy Ship Tavern’s own micro-brewed beer on tap along with a large selection of bottled beers while watching sporting events on the plasma TV. Ship Tavern features a casual menu and the freshest seafood in town. This Denver Colorado restaurant is also home to the region’s best prime rib, Rocky Mountain trout, prime steaks, fresh seafood & the best lobster salad sandwich in town.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (24)neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (19)fit for foodies (15)vibrant bar scene (11)romantic (10)late-night find (10)hot spot (9)good for groups (9)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Well quite honestly the TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Well quite honestly the Tavern wouldn't be as desirable to us if it were not for the pianist, John, as he is absolutely fabulous! However we have always enjoyed our meals and gatherings there, he is just an added, delightful benefit.Special Features:
- DC GuestKRSREPEATDined on 4/4/2014Took a DC client to the Ship Tavern for dinner meeting. We were seated promptly at our 7:30 reservation. Entire staff was knowledgeable, courteous and friendly My guest was very impressed.Special Features:
- I don't know why but I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/4/2014I don't know why but I have always liked the ambiance of The Ship's Tavern. It has kind of a pub feel with the dark wood and low lighting. The food never really disappoints. The prime rib is always excellent. The lobster bisque had a generous serving of lobster on top of a very nicely seasoned bisque. The scallops were excellent on top of a risotto perfectly cooked with the most delicate mushrooms cooked in the risotto. The service is always very professional. The wine list is a little pricey and does not have a very large selection, but other than that, the experience was great.Special Features:
- We had a fantastic meal atloveroflifeDined on 4/4/2014We had a fantastic meal at Ship's Tavern. The best rib-eye steak I've eaten in a very long time, marinated just right, with fresh vegetables and potato fingerlings. The lobster bisque was full of lobster, which is hard to find these days. Albert, our waiter, was a sweetheart! Located inside the Brown Palace Hotel, it's a find in the downtown area, and not as expensive as other well-known name steakhouses. Ship's Tavern is known for their prime rib, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EFFICIENT SERVICE. Good varietyrocketmanDined on 4/4/2014EFFICIENT SERVICE. Good variety on menu. comfortable. will return.Special Features:
- Too casual for the priceGenaDined on 3/29/2014Food was ok but the atmosphere felt like a cheap New England luncheonette . Went for my sons 21st Birthday... Thank god for the upscale cigar bar,,,,,truly classySpecial Features:
- Tables crowded together detractedrpaseDined on 3/28/2014Tables crowded together detracted from the experience. Food very expensive for the quality.
- Great ExperienceDonaldDined on 3/28/2014A long time favorite it had been a while since we were downtown to eat there. The food was great, service the same. It was a fun place to go to.Special Features:
- Terrible dress code. In someOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/27/2014Terrible dress code. In some cases, like a locker room--sweat clothes, baseball hats on backwards, and the like. Loud drinking women at the bar.Special Features:
- Great food, but wear ear plugs!FreddieDined on 3/21/2014We got there around 5:30pm so it may have been Happy Hour in the restaurant. Men were shouting, women were screeching and kids were making a racket. The tables were packed in tightly and hard to get around. Being a party of four seated in the corner, we couldn't hear one another speak. We had to wait for the walk back to our hotel to catch up on things. The food was well prepared and presented. I would say the menu had something for everyone. They have a fantastic chef and servers. The bar selection was outstanding. If you want someplace catch up with friends, unless you want to join in the shouting, I would not recommend it. I would find another place for dinner.Special Features:
- A Special Place for Special FriendsbplonlineDined on 3/15/2014The Ships Tavern is now our favorite place to bring out-of-town guests for a special dining experience WITHOUT breaking the bank. Dress is casual (guys you don't need to wear a jacket to dinner) and the service is fabulous. Valet parking is free with validation (remember to tip) or consider Light Rail which drops you only a block away! We love the beauty and elegance of the Brown and love to show off this gem to our guests!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great bison burgerwineloverDined on 3/15/2014We had a wonderful time looking at all the ship models. The buffalo (bison) burger was done perfectly. The homemade chips were outstanding and very plentiful. My dining friend had the reuben, which was also very good. Friendly wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy birthday dinnerJenDDined on 3/14/2014Took my husband to dinner for his birthday and his first time to the Brown Palace. Seated in a wonderful, quiet booth. Excellent service! Grey Goose was having a promo so we tried their pear drink special...very good (and free that night!). We both ordered steak (prime rib and rib eye). Both were very good; cooked perfectly, tender and juicy. My only complaint is the sauce on the ribeye was a little on the salty side. Highly recommend Ships Tavern. Looking forward to going again for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met expectationsFrequentGuest444Dined on 3/12/2014This place can be hit or miss, but our visit this time was a hit. It was nice that our server remembered us from a previous visit. Although the food is pricey, it's worth it for the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Denver ClassicFranklinDined on 3/8/2014In Denver it is a place to feel at home and enjoy with family and friends. You are unlikely to see any hip hopers here it's just not there scene.Special Features:
- Very Disappointed in the Food!sha4Dined on 2/28/2014We did not think the food was good at all!! Not even the dessert!! My husband had the fish and I had the chicken. We felt like they were trying to put something together cheap & tasted like a cheap restaurant. It was not worth the money at all!! We even had to send our food back because it was cold the first time we got it. I don't know what happened this year for restaurant week and I hope this is not the norm!! Beautiful hotel awful food in the Taven!! They either need to do it right and represent the quality of food they do offer or do not participate for restaurant week. It's better than serving awful food!! It was not worth the money!!! We regret choosing this restaurant!
- Fun ambianceKathDined on 2/28/2014This place really reminded me of a ship's tavern! The piano player was amazing and the ambiance was great. The food was not that great to me and especially for the high prices I expected it to be good! The service was extremely great and I would go back just for the seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little memoryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2014For more than 50 yeas, the Ship Tavern has been a special site for me. When my husband and I lived in Denver, it was a romantic get-away dinner spot. Now that he is gone and I am in Boulder, I bring guests to enjoy the warmth of the setting. I know everything must change, but it is nice to find a place that is pretty much as I remember it.Special Features:
- Awesomejj2denverVIPDined on 2/26/2014If you are a prime rib fan, you have to have the open face prime rib for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/25/2014Great food! Went for resturant week a little disappointed that the menu didnt give as many selections as it stated on the restaurant week menu, but overall was good. The service was great and the appetizers were amazing!!! The quesadilla were to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant night outsteaklover8Dined on 2/25/2014We visited the Ship Tavern during Restaurant Week. Typically, I don't expect great service during Restaurant Week because I know the service staff hates this time of year. We were pleasantly surprised with the level of service we received. Our server was attentive and didn't try to rush us out the door. Also, even though there is a limited menu offered during Restaurant Week, the food was delicious. Hats off to the chef! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but expensiveFoodie16Dined on 2/24/2014It is a cool place to go once! My husband and I looked at the food and prices and opted for a late dinner of soup and dessert. The seafood chowder was very good as was the bison chili and apple pie for dessert was fun (but order it early since it takes half an hr).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner out.NandDDined on 2/22/2014This is the second year we've chosen this restaurant and they never fail to please with excellent food, both in taste and presentation . The service is good and it is always fun to visit the historic Brown Palace Hotel,Special Features:
- If you're "late," watch out!FrequentGuest444Dined on 2/13/2014We made reservations to eat at this place. That would mean that a table would be available. The staff claimed we were "fifteen minutes late," so they "released" our table and were going to give us a substandard one because we were "late." The only reason we were "late" was because the person seating customers took her sweet time seating people, and we had to wait in line for fifteen minutes before she got to us. It wasn't our fault that we were "late," it was hers. We expect better of a restaurant in a high-end hotel. When we left, this person had the audacity to apologize for our "inconvenience!" We won't be back, which is a shame, because we've made a point of eating at this place every time I'm in Denver on business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Splendid Ship indeedCommensalDogDined on 2/13/2014Have frequented the Ship Tavern for 33 years back to the day Mr. Alex Anton was a waiter. Never had an experience that wasn't pleasant or food (love the prime rib) that wasn't excellent. The wait staff has always been top notch.Special Features:
- HistoricJeffDined on 2/7/2014The Ship's Tavern is great for business or for friends who are in from out of town and want to visit the Brown Palace. Easy in and out of Downtown and the validate valet parkingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday at Brown PalaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/4/2014We went especially for the Prime Rib which was excellent and my husband's favorite. It was his birthday, so I wanted to find the best Prime Rib in the city, and we did. Everything else was excellent.Special Features:
- Ship Tavern is ShipshapeDenvermikeDined on 1/22/2014Ship Tavern is a very popular spot for lunch. It was crowded and noisy bu the ambiance is great. The menu is varied and the food is wonderful with very generous portions. We had lunch and then went across the street to see the Anschutz Collection of Western Art. The collection is private and you must make a reservation but the combination of a fine lunch an a guided tour of this magnificent collection made for a lovely daySpecial Features:
- Lobster saladOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/10/2014Being from New England, I love to have lobster whenever I can. The Maine lobster sandwich is delicious and very generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Six of us went for lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/8/2014Six of us went for lunch. Room too noisy for our conversation. Soup was great; lobster salad had very good quantity of lobster but dressing was bland and detracted from lobster flavor.Special Features:
- This restaurant is the 'lessCheers1Dined on 1/4/2014This restaurant is the 'less fancy' eatery/bar in the Brown Palace Hotel- known for its history and capturing of the look and feel of an old tavern, based on a nautical theme. Food is better than expected, but not breaking too much new ground. The bar is above average in selection, the wait staff very good. Enjoyed our visit- but be aware it isn't a typical pub environment and is more pricey than alternatives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantmarcosDined on 1/1/2014My husband and I love the Ships Tavern. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. The service is always fabulous and the food is excellent. We go to the Ships Tavern several times a year by ourselves and with guests. Guests love it. It is a very special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for New Years Eve, theyLXVIDined on 12/31/2013Went for New Years Eve, they treat you like royalty and are very efficient. We have been there many times prior and its always the same service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ship Is SinkingColoradobuddyDined on 12/31/2013We always expect the best at the Brown Palace, this year we rate it marginal. We had a difficult time getting Scotch added to our drink orders, mostly mixer for our "call" drinks. We sent the first round back. The table bread was cold, not warm and fresh, as usual. The French Onion soup (my favorite) was sent back twice, because they were unable to get the top hot (cheeze) and even the bottom wasn't very hot. I couldn't eat it. My Wife's calamari was like chewing rubber, and not very hot either, she ate a few pieces. The Kobe burger was cooked correctly, medium, but very dry and not very favorerful. My Wife's Ruben was good. Both were not very hot. Very disappionted this year.
- HistoryDonDonDined on 12/31/2013I've had the privilege of eating in the Ship's Tavern in the Brown Palace hotel for over fifty years. It's been consistently the same for all that time. Many happy memories just add to all the delightful amenities of the Ship's Tavern.Special Features:
- A Great Place for the HolidaysColoradoFoodTourVIPDined on 12/31/2013I love the Ship Tavern, especially for a special lunch at New Years or Thanksgiving. Just a good place to hang out for a good drink and a good meal.Special Features:
- What a gem!bplonlineDined on 12/31/2013The Ship's Tavern at the Brown Palace is now our destination restaurant when we have guests, especially those new to Denver, when we want to show off our city and have a GREAT time. The service was SO friendly and attentive, the food was fabulous and VERY REASONABLE PRICED! I can think of no better value. Hop on the Light Rail, get off at 18th and California, and 5 minutes later you are in the gorgeous and FRIENDLY Brown Palace. What a great destination during the holidays! Hang out in the lobby, listen to the great pianist and then make your way to the Tavern for a fabulous dining experience! We can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening.PamelaDined on 12/28/2013We enjoyed a lovely dinner after a tour of the Brown Palace. Our service was good and the staff was very helpful with our meal selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best burger in Denver. KobeRobtVIPDined on 12/27/2013Best burger in Denver. Kobe beef, rare as you like it, anything toppings, selection of sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassiccharlesmDined on 12/27/2013A very fun, old time classic tavern/bar. We love to go during the holidays to view the lobby and other downtown lights. Best burger ever. Would love to have real hand cut fries and onion rings. The tuna "sandwich" was the best our daughter has had in Denver. A classic spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.