Ship Canal Grill
3218 Eastlake Ave E
Seattle, WA 98102Neighborhood:
Lake Union / Eastlake
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Ship Canal Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://shipcanalgrill.com/
- Phone: 2065888885x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00PM - 9:00PM
Happy Hour Daily 4-6pm, 9pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Burgers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: SCG can host a variety of catered type events. Whether you're looking for a large buffet style setting for a group of 20+ or a sit down intimate dinner, we can host you in our private dining loft.
- Entertainment: Ship Canal Grill features a variety of live music on weekends from Jazz, Blues, Funk, Rock, and DJ's spinning top 40 dance music. View the website for upcoming live music details.
- Special Events: Join us for Live Music every week. Live Jazz Jam Sessions every Wednesday, plus Friday shows featuring Blues, Latin, Rock, R&B, Soul and more. Saturday dinners include Jazz and Blues with late night dance shows featuring multiple DJ's. It's always a party at Ship Canal Grill.
A word from Ship Canal Grill
The Ship Canal Grill is the newest restaurant and bar in the Eastlake neighborhood featuring a warm and stylish atmosphere, tall windows and industrial design. With dozens of incredible mid-1900's photography from the Museum of History & Industry, SCG will take you back in time during Seattle and the Eastlake neighborhood's construction era. Our menu includes plenty of local Pacific Northwest flavors such as Grilled Alaskan Salmon, Seafood Fettuccine and crispy Fish and Chips. You'll also love our mouth-watering Kobe beef burgers, specialty sandwiches, flat breads and pasta options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ship Canal Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (3)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Dined with live musicFoodVIPDined on 5/16/2014My party of three didn't realize there would be live music. It was great and a surprise that the acoustics were that good. Such a treat, it was hard to leave!Special Features:
- jennDined on 5/11/2014Brunch was very mediocre. They advertised crepes and there were none. Selection was very limited. This place is better for a bar than brunch place.
- The following 42 reviews are from the Ship Canal Grill reviews archive.
- New ChefBob1Dined on 4/13/2014His name is Carlos and he likes to cook Louisiana style dishes. We had shrimp and cheesy grits. Excellent. We will be back. We dined at a Sunday Brunch but will be back for a Friday evening. Live music is added for the weekends.Special Features:
- Note worthy!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014It was my first time there for Kelley Johnson. Looking forward to hearing other artists there as the ambience was super. Great night spot for Jazz and Blues!! Will recommend it highly.Special Features:
- it was fineolderDined on 3/7/2014food was fine if you are in neighborhood. limited menu. not terrible, not great. $16 for hamburger & fries? not really value.
- Good meal, maybe not most romanticRittertonDined on 2/14/2014Booked the reservation for Valentines Day. Arrived and it had that "sports bar" appearance, but we continued onward, inward and upward into the loft - which also had a pool table. So, um...gulp...but, there was really a pleasant jazz duo playing; the waitress was absolutely a delight; and, the food was awesome. A fixed price menu for the evening and it was a very fair price for the portions and the quality. Truly, enjoyed the great food. So, would I go back - yep. Would I recommend it to a friend - absolutely. Would I book it for Valentines Day...well....maybe not next year, but for a dinner on the way to another part of the date evening. Sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years EveMkwdDined on 12/31/2013We were looking for a nice place for an early diviner on New Years Eve . We were joining Friends and wanted to be able to enjoy a meal and talk. Ship Canal Grill was perfect! It was festive yet relaxed. We had lamb, sliders and their wonderful fries! We left just as the evening music was setting up. That was perfect for us and it looked Like the place was going to hopping later in the evening. I love to find a later evening spot that has great food an atmosphere for those Of us who like to eat a little earlier! Thanks SCG for a relaxed New Years Eve! We will be back,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Close to Downtownbarri1Dined on 12/8/2013Good food. Close to Downtown and the rest of the Seattle neighborhoods.Special Features:
- neighborhood gemfoodieDined on 12/6/2013Tasty food, fun décor and friendly service. Free parking too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a quick (and tasty) biteCommanderQDined on 11/15/2013The main courses and desserts were quite tasty and well-done; the appetizer salads were ok, but seemed largely like they were fresh from the bag. The restaurant itself is more of a bar atmosphere with a few tables and booths for dining while the majority of the space is allocated to a bar, pool tables, and general social gathering areas. It's a nice place to grab a quick bite or casually catch up with a friend, but certainly not for a romantic evening. I will say that the service was quite nice. Though we had an Amazon Local voucher, the listed value of the voucher does not match up with the food quality or quantity: the food was overpriced.Special Features:
- Great for just a drinkashwayDined on 11/10/2013Staff was very friendly and helpful. Loved the set up and decor. Wouldn't eat there again (food isn't bad, but its not good). But will definitely be back for a drink!
- Seek it out....CuervojoeyVIPDined on 11/7/2013Spots like this, along a busy thoroughfare, can be so easily overlooked in your day to day driving. Pay attention, along Eastlake, just before crossing over the University Drawbridge, as you head north, it is in the new building. There is a small parking lot under the building with an entrance from Westlake, or a much bigger lot across the street, and under the I5 Ship Canal Bridge, great tie in for the name huh? Modern interior, with a period style painting of the old Lake Union, as seen from the I-5 bridge under construction. The food is great, a short but varied menu, to suit everyone in your group. Seek it out, and stop bySpecial Features:
- Food didn't fit the decorCinderellaskiDined on 10/25/2013Had a coupon and felt like the food matched the discount. Ordered from a separate menu. Didn't get what we ordered, waitress did try to fix. The salmon was way overcooked and had a strange pesto sauce pseudo drizzled on the top. Not what I expected from the décor (fairly cool) and location.
- I'm glad I had a LivingSocial dealheelys46Dined on 10/12/2013The Ship Canal Grill wasn't bad but it also wasn't spectacular. Without making this a full on retelling of the meal, the best part of the meal was the appetizer, the Mediterranean Plate, which wasn't included in the deal and the wine. I ordered the ribs with fries and my friend ordered the salmon with mashed potatoes. Presentation was simple but both weren't anything special. The ribs weren't all that tender and hadn't been cooked in the bbq sauce, the salmon was supposed to have pesto on it but all I could see was pepper really. Service: As per the reviews, it wasn't the best. The staff was pleasant but made errors in our meal and others that could have been avoided. All in all I will not be going back there any time soon.
- surprisingly small yet qualitywannabefoodieDined on 10/4/2013Didn't expect it to feel like a bar, but we were impressed by the creativity on the food menu more than enough to compensate, and the casual atmosphere grew on us anyway. They have a great list of by-the-bottle wines for less than $30... Not a bad way to compliment the fine or fun food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceRopsonnaDined on 9/21/2013If you love to explore food always want to find the next best place to eat at.Whether it's a fine dining or a hole in the wall. You would say this place is nothing out of the ordinary restaurants. Food is average. However, the service is good & friendly.Special Features:
- Great AmbianceFrequentdinerDined on 9/14/2013What a fun place. The room has an amazing mural of the the buidling of the University Bridge with classic Seattle famous people like Jimi Hendrix and J.P. Patches. The salad and seafood dishes were amazing - my friend had the lamb sliders! We were there on jazz night and were entertained by a wonderful French style trio. The servers were friendly and funny and easy going. It is a gem of a spot - a great find for our first, but definitely not our last time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not even stay to eat!AmkossdzDined on 8/28/2013We made reservations at this place and when we walked in we stood at the host podium for almost five minutes before we were acknowledged. The host was too busy flirting with a table of girls to seat us. He recruited the bartender to take us to our table. This man proceeded to walk our party to an unset table upstairs, he threw our menus on the table and said, "you're all set." We were so taken aback that we sat down and talked about what we had just experienced. I have never had this level if poor service, even people at fast food restaurants look more excited to see you. We left and walked the extra half mile to Ivar's, where we had an outstanding meal,
- DisappointingMikasatVIPDined on 8/2/2013Ship Canal Grill looks like a high end neighborhood restaurant and wants to come off that way, but the food and service are reminiscent of diner food. For example, the seafood pasta was ordered and advertised prawns, mussels, clams, and fresh fish. When it arrived, only prawns were in there. After sending it back, the waitress finally reappeared and said that they were out of the mussels, clams, and fresh fish. How do you make an error like that? Needless to say, we won't be back.
- A Happy Father's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2013A fun place for a casual, celebration dinner. The fish and chips, mushroom burger, and seafood fettuccine were all delicious. The fish was not over battered. $4 everyday mojitos were refreshing and tasty. There is a really cool mural painted on the wall that depicts the Roosevelt Bridge and some famous Seattlites sitting on it....including JP Patches! Free parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- epic failuremp2112Dined on 6/16/2013We had early afternoon reservations on Father's Day. When we arrived, there was no one to greet us or seat us. The bartender shouted over to us and told us to sit wherever we like. After several minutes of sitting at a table, the bartender came over and dropped off menus and offered us drinks. By this time, the place was staying to fill up. I commented to the bartender that she seemed very busy. She replied letting us know that she was the only server working! On top of that, they were running a special menu of which she only had three copies, so we needed to hurry and order so she could let the next table use them. Bottom line... the food was mediocre and the service was terrible.
- Disappointing Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013I reserved a table for 8 and they really weren't prepared for that. We were squeezed into a table for six. Our reservation was at 1:00. By that time they were running low on just about all of the food. We had to wait for more bacon to be cooked; they were out of crepes; and, because they were low on food, it was clearly not prepared with great care when it came out. Having said that, the food was good when it was there. And, our server was pleasant and accommodating. I think that this is a good place to hang out, have a drink and a bite of pub food. The atmosphere is cool; there is a pool table; and the photographs of the building of the bridge are very interesting. I just would not recommend this place for a nice brunch.
- Eat here if in the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/31/2013Overall average food but I like the location and the decor. Service was friendly and prompt.
- Dissapointing BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2013The breakfast menu from the OpenTable looked very good but on Easter only a brunch buffet was available. The selection looked good but most items were only warm, in particular the meat at the carving station was nowhere close to hot. We mentioned this to the staff but nothing was done and only a weak apology was offered. I would not eat here again when only the buffet is offered.
- in an effort not be rude...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/8/2013in an effort not be rude... they shouldn't be in the foodservice business.
- This restaurant was a totalCherylVIPDined on 1/9/2013This restaurant was a total surprise, and we can hardly wait to go back. We were greeted by a friendly wait person, and she was accommodating throughout. The food was amazing. My Philly dip was one of the best sandwiches I have ever had The caramelized onions and peppers really set it off, and it had a little kick too. The other person in my party had fried chicken with mashed potatoes & gravy It was a very generous portion, and delicious.Special Features:
- Somehow the Ship Canal GrillredgooseDined on 12/22/2012Somehow the Ship Canal Grill did not receive our reservations from you, but they did accommadate us with a nice booth.Special Features:
- lamb sliders were very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/22/2012lamb sliders were very good. fish and chips was a bit dry. Philly Steak and Cheese was very good.
- We both enjoyed our meals.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/20/2012We both enjoyed our meals. My steak was cooked perfectly and my friend's Mediterranean salad was well received.
- We went for lunch and my 50thDanJDined on 11/4/2012We went for lunch and my 50th birthday. There was only one server and one chef so as you can imagine, although the bartender/server was great, he was shorthanded which affected the rating. Food was good. Mimosas were extrodinarily WEAK!!! I would go again for lunch for food only.Special Features:
- We went to redeem a voucherGoGoBearVIPDined on 11/2/2012We went to redeem a voucher - food was surprisingly good...made a mental note to come back when the occasion called for something close and relatively inexpensive and easy...
- The restuarant is nice andRinaVIPDined on 10/4/2012The restuarant is nice and clean and the service was good but the food is not very good. The last time I was there with my husband, the fish and chips I ordered was too thick in the battering and the fries were probably the last ones at the bottom of the bin to fry; there were many burnt, small pieces not even worth eating, and way too salty. The stew my husband had was very bland, I mean, REALLY bland. It was so mushy you would not be able to recognize a potato from a carrot to the meat. We did not say anything as it was our last coupon to use from three I had purchased. We could not wait to use our third coupon.
- Everything about The ShipMotherMaryVIPDined on 8/5/2012Everything about The Ship Canal Grill was fine, nothing exceptional. The waiter was friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Surprisingly good Greek saladtravelhappyVIPDined on 7/7/2012Surprisingly good Greek salad and Gyros-style lamb and pita. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Local GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2012We have been to the Ship Canal Grill on several occasions and have introduced our friends to this great neighborhood eatery. The Fish and Chips are spectacular and the spicy margarita hits the spot. Great menu and all our meals have been terrific, great service, good prices and we look forward to many more meals.Special Features:
- My burger was cooked justOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/12/2012My burger was cooked just like I wanted; fries were slightly oversalted, but otherwise good. My wife was very satisfied with the mussels she ordered. We both were thrilled with the chocolate ganache cake we had for dessert. Would definitely recommend Ship Canal Grill for good, informal dining.Special Features:
- This place is quite cold sittingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/9/2012This place is quite cold sitting under the overpass of the ship canal it gets lots of wind through its automatic sliding doors. I feel like a rotating door entrance might be better serving to cut down on the wind/temp entering the restaurant. The food was so so, moderately priced. I ordered the low and slow ribs, they fell right off the bone, but didn't seem tender and there was not enough bbq sauce on them, it was put on very sparingly in an arcing design over the ribs. Others in my party ordered items like the lamb sliders and the philly. A Philly does not have an aus jus dip. The lamb sliders were all bun and no lamb, the lamb meat patties were not much larger than a stamp.Special Features:
- Came for Mother's Day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2012Came for Mother's Day brunch buffet and loved all the food. Great local place!Special Features:
- The food was excellent. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012The food was excellent. Great selection of food, fresh, tended with care personally by the chef. The chef personally talked to the customers & was a gem. He was personable & truly cared that everyone was having a good time & Enjoying the food. I'm a vegan & he was happy to make me a vegan dish to eat. The service & food were outstanding! Free valet parking too. Would definitely go back. Wonderful place!Special Features:
- Yummmmy!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/13/2012Mothers Day brunch buffet was excellent. The Chef was awesome, out helping serve the food (and proud about the food presented.) Really liked the atmosphere and would definitly return.Special Features: