7 East 48th Street
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shinbashinyc.com/
- Phone: 2128131009
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:15pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is easily adaptable to your needs and budget.
- Private Party Facilities: Shinbashi has two spaces available for private events. Both spaces are available for either buffet style or sit-down course style dinners. The downstairs space is completely private with doors that close the space off and a separate coat check. The mezzanine is available as a space set off from and overlooking the main dining room. Dependant on your party size and style Shinbashi can arrange a party designed for your specific needs.
- Private Party Contact: Kenny 2128131009
- Cross Street: Between 5th & Madison Avenue
- Public Transit: 6- 51st Street at Lexington B/D/F/V- 47-50 Streets Rockefeller Center N/R/W- 49th Street at 7th Avenue
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is a parking lot on 48th Street between 5th and 6th Avenue adjacent to Rockefeller Center.
A word from Shinbashi
When Shinbashi originally opened in 1974 waitresses wearing traditional clothing served the then novel sushi and traditional Japanese dishes. Shinbashi became popular amongst Japanese businessmen visiting New York and the restaurant was reviewed in the New York Times by Ruth Reichi in 1998 calling it "venerable Japanese." The new incarnation is following in the tradition of attracting Japanese guests but does so in a modern setting. The restaurant remains streamlined and cleanly lit so as to showcase the food. Quality of fish and presentation are of the highest standard and it is this attention to detail that is carried into the attentive service. Shinbashi offers an environment for you to appreciate your meal at the pace you choose and the space to enjoy your conversation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shinbashi reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (17)great for outdoor dining (11)neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (5)special occasion (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)romantic (1)Show More
- nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Nice place. Excellent service. Only thing I would change is the music. It sounded like music that no one would ever like or dislike. Have some daring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for outdoor lunchWallStreetLawyerVIPDined on 10/8/2014I like that it's significantly away from the curb so there's no issue with exhaust fumes (as is the case with too many sidewalk set ups). Great, fresh sushi/sashimi. Service can be slow at lunch so allow sufficient time for the meal.Special Features:
- Spotty serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/2/2014I came here on a business lunch. They either forgot to put in our order or the kitchen didn't do its job. While we were waiting, the server didn't check in on us; we had to flag him down to ask about our missing entrees. We had to rush through our meal, which should have taken an hour at most, but wind up taking an extra 20 minutes of just waiting. Very disappointed.
- Very good sushi, rigid kitchenSmoothDined on 9/30/2014The fish was delicious and beautifully prepared and presented. But the kitchen has a rigid idea of what it can deliver: there is are a number of sushi options, but if you want sashimi, there is only Omakase (at a much higher price point) or a la carteSpecial Features:
- Good Japanese FoodAndrewVIPDined on 9/18/2014Solid, authentic Japanese food. Good for groups and business meetings. Shinbashi is actually the name of one of the business districts in Tokyo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great sushi spotdve5Dined on 9/17/2014always a great time with great food here. the menu has changed a bit but the sushi is still great and fresh.Special Features:
- Good service and food qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014The restaurant was more quiet than I expected on a Friday night. The food was prepared properly and served promptly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food Slow service ExpensiveJulienNewYorkVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food is very good and perfect for lunch. On the very expensive side though... And service is slow and very kind and polite. But slow. No one was here when we sat. Took forever to get our order in. Few tables sat at that time (4?) and we were the last ones served... The terrace is very nice.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerPepeDined on 8/2/2014I was here 30 years ago and the only change is the location. Excellent Food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Fish, spotty serviceCaddybuyerVIPDined on 7/21/2014Virtually vacant restaurant at 7 pm. Not sure why. One party arrived early and was barraged with requests to order before the other arrived. Lots of wait staff for very few patrons but clean up and check clearing was slow. Excellent fish, if somewhat small portions compared to other venues. A nice break from the noisy and overcrowded popular places...but I guess there is a reason why they are popular and this is not.
- Good food but kitchen closes earlyNYCfoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014I was wondering why this restaurant was empty, given that the food is amazing. Well, I found out! The kitchen closes at 9:30 on Saturday night, and the staff gives you no warning!! We had an 8pm reservation and around 9:20 wanted to order more sushi and that's when we were told that it was too late. It's a shame that the staff didn't give us a heads up earlier so that we could have had a full dinner. So, instead we went to another restaurant to continue our meal.
- Average food, terrible serviceGobucks1Dined on 7/19/2014Food was fair, but should have listened to the other reviews...waited forever before orders placed. Obviously understaffed with a single waitress serving all the outside tables, and while she was pleasant enough, our order was incorrect (observed such with the surrounding tables as well). Would not go again.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2014The food was as expected: excellent. The service was exceptional. It was a quite evening and the atmosphere was delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi, Sukiyaki and moreOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/9/2014Great service and quiet. Food is very good and fairly priced for the area. Nice to see a few Daiginjo sake choices. Always a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good restaurantLidiaLipstickDined on 7/8/2014I have been to this restaurant many times and have never been disappointed. Their food is very fresh and delicious. The service is great, very friendly and pleasant.Special Features:
- USWDinerVIPDined on 7/1/2014Superbly fresh sushi, presented artfully, in a room that allows for conversation. Nothing else needed for a lunch that satisfies the palate in an environment that allows the table guests really to talk with each other.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/25/2014Worst service ever. Waited 45 minutes for food and had to keep asking. Was not brought utensils, etc
- The following 151 reviews are from the Shinbashi reviews archive.
- Not worth the priceBubbaVIPDined on 5/21/2014I hate to write a bad review, but I'd have to say that $32 for an average California roll, a bad chopped up tuna roll and about 8 pieces of just average sushi is not a good deal. The food was really average...like worth $18. Also, when we ordered our lunch sushi, it arrived about 30 seconds later. Was fast, but seemed like everthing was pre-made. On the bright side, service was fine and the outside seating a location is good. But, there are certainly better places to spend your money, particularly if you are looking for a fine sushi experience.
- Superb Japanese cuisine, presentedUSWDinerVIPDined on 3/31/2014Superb Japanese cuisine, presented beautifully, in a room that is quiet enough to allow easy conversation at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but RushedNYEaters2013VIPDined on 3/28/2014Took a new colleague herr for a "welcome" lunch since this place is right around the corner; from the minute I entered, until we received our coats, we were hurried through every step. Were there less than 70 minutes and it felt like a sprint to leave. Sushi is average. Our "we'd like to start eith edamame" came out after we received our meals (D'OH!)
- Tofu Steak was good. I wishTofuSteak1Dined on 3/7/2014Tofu Steak was good. I wish that the bento box hadn't come with Shrimp since I am a vegeterian.Special Features:
- the food and service werespreeVIPDined on 2/26/2014the food and service were good and prices were reasonable; I'm not sure I'd go again though since it was very noisy and I had trouble having a normal conversation.
- Superb sushi; a staff thatUSWDinerVIPDined on 2/24/2014Superb sushi; a staff that atends, but doesn't hover. It's an excellent business lunch setting because the quiet atmosphere allows for easy conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/19/2014Good service, very attentive and reasonable prices for lunch specials, considering its midtown east.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good. The restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/14/2014The food was good. The restaurant was very quiet. However, I did have to make an extremely early reservation in order to catch a flight. I would like to go back at a later time to see if it fills up. My impression was that it is probably a great place for lunch. At dinner, the energy is low. Again, the food was good. The service was fine. It was just slow around 6 pm. It was good enough to warrant a second trip.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceDavidVIPDined on 11/19/2013When there on lunch , everything was excellent food was good service was GREAT!!! Server was attentive and nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Japanese in midtownLiketoeatVIPDined on 10/25/2013This is a good spot for Japanese in midtown. They have bento box lunch specials. Overall the price is a bit on the high side, but the food is authentic Japanese.Special Features:
- Great sushi and shabu shabuWorldlyVIPDined on 10/4/2013We ate here on a Friday night. The place was filled with Japanese people -- families and business types. We ordered prime beef shabu shabu and it was delicious. Afterwards, we ordered a small helping of sashimi and sushi, followed by a green tea pastry for dessert. All delicious. Overall, a pleasant experience. Only thing that brings down the rating is the service; it seemed that we had two servers who couldn't decide who was waiting our table. At times, the hostess had to get involved to make sure that we were not overlooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was exciting, service was notJennyJennyDined on 10/1/2013I had the ladies lunch - included an individual cup of warm egg custard with bits of seafood suspended in it. It was delicate and lovely. There were other interesting things on my plate, too, but my waiter was unable to explain to me what anything was. The chef finally came out to answer my questions. The staff was busy teasing each other, talking, not looking at their tables, unaware of their own menu items. Someone brought warm, moist towels when we arrived, but they were removed before we even had a chance to use them! We could not understand what our waiter said for the fish of the day even though we asked three times. In spite of the food quality, I would not go back as the service made it much less enjoyable than it should have been.Special Features:
- The food was terrible.ScorpionVIPDined on 9/24/2013I do not think they can stay in business for a long time.
- Great Food but very empty!JillCFVIPDined on 9/23/2013The party rooms were filled and the food was excellent but it was so empty it was weird dining along there.Special Features:
- Food was equivalent to a neighborhoNadsVIPDined on 9/12/2013Food was equivalent to a neighborhood Japanese restaurant. No real variety. Wouldn't go back.
- very nice and reliable andHLT3Dined on 8/20/2013very nice and reliable and good to very good sushi. DOn't order from here by Seamless web as it is expensive to order and too little quantity and fair quality. Stay at the restaurant only.
- Ignored: Ended Up LeavingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2013I made a reservation for myself on OpenTable and arrived promptly. The inside dining room was empty and the outside seats were moderately full. I could see two waitresses running around looking very flustered. I waited patiently at the hostess stand. There were two sushi chefs behind the sushi bar. I waited. Despite four people seeing me, no one approached. Five minutes later, I was seated. No apologies for the wait. I sat another five minutes and after being ignored by 3 passing servers, I got up and left. It was 7pm on a Wednesday. Such service is not acceptable.
- Slow and slowerkiwi400Dined on 8/14/2013It was just not good. It was not that busy but the wait staff seemed overwhelmed and the hostess unfocused. It seems there are systemic issues her - the food was fine - uninspired. Service was slowwwwwww....it was disappointing.
- Family approves!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2013I have been to this restaurant many times for lunch and have always been impressed with the quality of fish in the Sushi Lunch special, so I brought my wife and my daughter. We all had Sushi special and we all enjoyed it. Getting approval from my wife is not an easy thing - she is so picky and observant. Guess what, she approved!Special Features:
- Expensive, Too noisy w/average foodWorkinmommieVIPDined on 8/1/2013Went for lunch w a business colleague. Was hoarse from having to yell to have a discussion. Tables right on top of each other. Spent the afternoon with a stomach ache. Wouldnt recommend.
- A nice variety for lunch.likingGreatNeckDined on 7/19/2013A nice variety for lunch. Good pricing options as well. Sushi was fresh and service was quick. Enjoyed our tuna tataki salad a lot - wonderful flavors. Love the green tea mille crepe for dessert. Outstanding. Been here a few times, perfect for a quick business lunch.Special Features:
- Great spot for a business lunchBKFoodieVIPDined on 7/18/2013The sushi here was super fresh and fantastic. I'll definitely be returning! I found this place priced decently for a business lunch, and the only drawback is that the 2-person tables are slightly on the longer side, so you are closer to the person sitting at the next table over, than you are to the person you are at a table with.Special Features:
- Good fishOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/18/2013Solid neighborhood place -- near the office for lunch, and the mix of quality and price is right for me to take clients there when the firm is paying, or go myself when I'm paying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.