2051 W Warner Rd #14
Chandler, AZ 85224Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shimogamoaz.com/
- Phone: 4808997191x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm.
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Sanae Otomo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Shimogamo Restaurant
Shimogamo presents the best of Japanese dining experience to Chandler. We feature a full sushi bar and dining area for both families and couples. Our sushi menu is filled with engaging, creative items, fined-tuned for those who are looking for unique and sophisticated fine Japanese dining. Our forté is not just sushi, but also the authentic yet approachable Izakaya-style small dishes that have been crafted by Executive Chef Sanae Otomo. Over the past decade, Shimogamo has been serving our guests with a passion to deliver true Japanese flavors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Shimogamo Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Chandler ›
Shimogamo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (11)special occasion (5)good for groups (3)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Shimogamo delights againlumsterDined on 10/5/2014Sushi bar service was prompt and responsive. Granted we arrived on a Sunday early-evening in time to enjoy Happy Hour but we got focused attention from the server and sushi chef. I highly recommend the Gyu-Tan or grilled beef tongue with ponzu-yuzu dipping sauce. My wife and I each had one.Special Features:
- Shimogamo Rocks!IanKDined on 9/3/2014Get there for happy hour and enjoy the specials and the "days" catch .... the chefs and Owner make your visit enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunaDined on 8/26/2014Perfect environment for a business dinner with delicious food!Special Features:
- Fantastic gem in a strip mallRoadkingVIPDined on 8/21/2014Great food, fantastic preparations. Been coming here for years and love it!!
- Fantastic Sushi!TastyPlatesDined on 8/21/2014Want great sushi...Shimagamo's is your place! VERY FRESH, AWESOME QUALITY fish and reasonable prices! We celebrated a birthday there with friends. Great personal service made it a night to remember! Make reservations, as you don't want to miss getting a table. Shimagamo's will quickly become a favorite go-to restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not GreatChuckfam21Dined on 8/9/2014Sushi was okay, not great. For the money should have been much better. Not a good valueSpecial Features:
- Authentic JapanesecandycornDined on 8/5/2014I have never been disappointed with Shimogamo. They have fresh sushi, unique rolls and are always delicious. Take advantage of their happy hour prices as they are a great deal! I love the small feel, the prompt service and especially the quality of the food. Note: I have not tried the main dish menu because I can't turn down sushi but I hear they are just as good as the sushi. There are only one or two sushi chefs working at a time and occasionally the sushi is a little slow coming out but is well worth a small wait when all the tempura and panko shrimp is made to order for each roll. My favorite sushi location I've ever found! I always walk away with a smile and a happy tummy. I would eat here every day if the week if I could!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place for sushi in East ValleycjphoenixVIPDined on 7/25/2014Shimogamo always has great fish that is very fresh. The selection is way beyond most sushi places. Fresh salmon roe and scorpionfish were on the menu last time we were there. Most places use frozen salmon roe and barely anyone has the expertise to prepare scorpionfish. Rolls are creative and delicious, but the sushi and sashimi are the standouts.Special Features:
- Wonderful Japanese food!foodcrazy2Dined on 7/24/2014We have dined at Shimogamo Restaurant many times. All of the food that we have had there has been outstanding. Sushi is some of the best we have ever had and the appetizers are unique, interesting and always delicious. The service is also outstanding. This is one of our favorite restaurants to enjoy with friends.Special Features:
- good sushiNikki1230Dined on 7/17/2014went for happy hour on a thursday. we were seated in the back room, the front half was full, and had the place to ourselves. our waitress was very helpful and the food was very good. we had a seaweed salad, a few sushi rolls, and tempura shrimp. all were very tasty. Our total bill was about $40 with tip, and that did not include any drinks. For happy hour I feel like this is a bit pricey. we did order two rolls not on the happy hour menu, but that was because the HH menu was limited. Overall I would go back, but would also be willing to try other places with better happy hours.
- Superior sushi!FoodlvrDined on 7/16/2014Since finding Shimogamo , it has become our 'go to' restaurant for sushi. Always the freshest fish that we have found, beautifully prepared. We no longer have to drive 40 minutes to get great sushi. What a find!!! (Plus, the owner and staff are wonderful!!)Special Features:
- The following 29 reviews are from the Shimogamo Restaurant reviews archive.
- Sushi heavenNickNameVIPDined on 5/25/20142nd best sushi restaurant in entire valley and we've tried them ALL! Unlike #1, Shimogamo's bill doesn't melt your credit card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and tasty foodSushiLoverDined on 5/20/2014When I want sushi this is my go-to place. The service is excellent, and they always give you a towel to refresh with before you eat your sushi and I love that. I have my favorite nigiri options (salmon, yellowtail and tuna) that always taste fresh and yummy. The portion size for the edamame and the miso soup are just right. Vist here soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experience....luvdiningDined on 5/9/2014Very disappointing lunch experience, food was average quality and overpriced, and service was incredibly slow. Will not return and not recommend this restaurant.
- specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/6/2014Exotic food with a special touch for a special day. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi!IanKDined on 4/24/2014Very good selections of food and the specials are awesome! Very good happy hour prices too!Special Features:
- Incredible Sushi-- for anywhereYummyyyVIPDined on 4/17/2014Shimogamo was up there with the best sushi I've ever had. As an out of towner to Arizona who is from NY and traveled lots to LA, where the sushi is also incredible, I was seriously impressed with Shimogamo. We kept ordering individual pieces after we devoured the sushi that we first ordered. Everything was fresh, clean, and delicious. You cannot go wrong here. They know what they are doing.Special Features:
- Authentic japeneseLocalfoodieVIPDined on 4/16/2014The food is delicious. Good quality sushi and entrees. Good prices at happy hour and reasonable prices on regular menu. The service not so good on two of my three visits there. The dinner came before the sushi. I should have ordered in stages. Owner really cares about his customers it's apparent. I will returnI would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in AZAZfoodieDined on 4/13/2014I have enjoyed and learned about quality sushi in NY, CA and Japan. Shimogamo provides fantastic sushi in an authentic fashion -- by far the best in AZ. When business visitors come from Japan, they always prefer Shimogamo for a taste of home (after they have had their fill of good steaks:-). Going to Shimogamo is always a treat! Enjoy!Special Features:
- Excellent Service & Sushi!!!AZMODined on 4/3/2014I ordered a selection of sushi, and my companion ordered tempura. It was all DELICIOUS! Our server, whom I believe was the owner or the restaurant manager, was SUPER! He was very attentive without being bothersome, and very kind. We enjoyed our experience immensely!
- AuthenticHoppyVIPDined on 3/26/2014Authentic Japanese cuisine, nice ambiance but we didn't like the calamari dish which was rubbery and had an odd coating to it. The yellowtail sashimi was cut too thick for our liking although the sushi was wonderful. We would go back if in town but probably wouldn't put it high on our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep it a secretjagmanDined on 3/20/2014I hesitate to give this restaurant a high review because it is a wonderful neighborhood dinning establishment and if word gets out it may get crowded and ruin the ambiance. My wife and I love dinning here because the food is excellent, reasonably priced and the dinning is intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiPaulDined on 3/20/2014The sushi is excellent and is the only menu fare I have partaken of at Shimogamo. The staff is friendly and efficient and the décor is subdued and compliments the atmosphere of the establishment. I always recommend Shimogamo to those seeking a sushi restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slightly priceyDassDined on 2/23/2014Food is pretty good, fresh sashimi! Slightly expensive in my opinion.Special Features:
- Good, but not as good as hopingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Shimogamo was one of a handful of restaurants that got several mentions in my searches for "best sushi in Phoenix". They were definitely in the top 10, if not the top 5. Phoenix (metro) being as big as it is, for a restaurant to be recognized as one of the best I expect a "wow" experience rivaling Vegas or San Diego. I just didn't get that experience. Don't get me wrong, it was good! But it was no more fantastic than what we can get any day of the week here in Tucson. And it was more expensive to boot. The service was great, and I liked the chillout music. I was just hoping for every bite to be OMG, melt-in-your-mouth awesomeness, and it wasn't quite there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014We went here for a birthday. The waitstaff was very attentive and knowledgeable, and the food was very good. Prices were about average for sushi. All in all a great little place. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and serviceJustinDined on 1/25/2014This is one of the best places to go for sushi. Never had anything I didn't like here. Service is very good and they are always attentive. I would suggest making a reservation since it is a small place and tends to fill up fast on the weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Favorite Restaurant!AndiODined on 1/23/2014This restaurant looked good on-line through reviews and their website, but it wasn't until we actually dined there that I began to realize how amazing this place was. The food was exquisite--truly upscale menu items at moderate prices, The grilled Shishito peppers were simply amazing--we ordered a second round of those--we couldn't get enough of them! The sushi menu was vast, as was the wine menu. Service was again, outstanding. And while I can see if the restaurant would be completely full it may be noisy, we went later on a weekday evening (7:15 reservations), and it was nice and quiet. Highly, highly recommend you check out this restaurant. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi lover's delightPaulDined on 1/2/2014Shimogamo consistently serves great sushi - fresh, flavorful and outstanding presentation. I have enjoyed dining here for over six years and have never been disappointed. Actually, I was once - I couldn't get a reservation when I wanted it because they were completely booked up!Special Features:
- Sushi not the best or worst.denzelqDined on 12/31/2013Sushi not the best or worst. Service was good and restaurant was well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Presentation, GreatcravingsushiDined on 12/28/2013Beautiful Presentation, Great Taste. Best Poke I have had in Arizona and maybe the best Yakisoba ever (we ordered the egg noodle Yakisoba). It's a small restaurant; ask for a table in the back for more privacy. Lighting and Music were perfect, not too dark and not too loud but enough to provide a romantic atmosphere. Very polite and professional service. Will be going back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodCJL1Dined on 12/26/2013Delicious sushi, including very fresh and tasty uni, which I have not tasted in a long time. Prices are not the cheapest, but it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic japeneseLocalfoodieVIPDined on 12/23/2013This place reminded me of a small place in an upscale neighborhood in japan. Fresh sushi, nice shimigamo steak, great chicken hors d ouerve breaded in rice instead of wheat. Good prices, and nice happy hour menu. Owners cook and run the front. Our waiter remembered my friends no salt preference. The decor is modern and hip. And most important to me it did not have a funny smell as you entered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Privacy Availablesteak4twoDined on 12/16/2013The food and sushi is sensational!! But there are no booths or rooms for privacy, just 2 rooms with tables and a sushi bar. The noise level gets high at times. Overall it was just an okay experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner CelebrationAZfoodieDined on 12/1/2013Shimogamo has become our favorite Sushi restaurant in Arizona! The food is always fantastic and the private room in back is great for larger groups. We've dined at the Sushi bar, tables and the private room and they all provide a great environment and phenomenal food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOhmanVIPDined on 11/29/2013I had another fabulous experience here. It really is one of the best japanese restaurants in town!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True Izakaya experiencelumsterDined on 11/3/2013The sushi and menu items reminds me of my Tokyo experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not disappointed but....larzduzsushiDined on 10/30/2013The food was outstanding and I will go there again but, hopefully, the server will pay more attention to when I need them to. It wasn't that busy and I actually had to go find a server to order more food. Additionally, it did seem to take longer to get an order based on the few customers that were there at the time. Not disappointed but, would have been nice to receive a little faster service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service and Great FoodanhoffVIPDined on 10/24/2013Best East Valley sushi that is authentic and has the best tempuri. We regularly dine here and food and service are consistently superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!luvsushiDined on 9/29/2013The food here is consistently delicious! I love their sushi. They have so many interesting combinations, and they are all amazing!I would recommend this to a friend.