1555 Camino Del Mar Suite 201
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shimbashiizakaya.com/
- Phone: 8585230479x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri:11:30am-2:00pm, Sat&Sun:12:00pm-3:00pm
Dinner: Mon-Fri:4:00pm-10:00pm, Sat&Sun:3:00pm-10:00pm
Happy Hour: Mon - Fri:4:00pm-6:00pm, Sat&Sun:12:00pm-6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Shabu-shabu, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Shimbashi Be Your Chef - Fresh sushi made right in front of you!
If you're looking for a unique way to cater your next event, let us come to you. Shimbashi offers delicious, elegant party trays and on-site catering for business functions and private parties. Shimbashi’s chef will prepare fresh, high-quality sushi in front of your guests, bringing a unique flair of entertainment to your occasion.
To start planning your event menu, please contact us at 858-523-0479.
- Special Events: SHIMBASHI Izakaya is available for your special occasion, business meetings or private parties. We can tailor make a menu to fit your budget; relax and enjoy fresh sushi and sake, inside or on our ocean-view patio.
Please call Hideko Edwards at 858-523-0479 to discuss your needs.
A word from Shimbashi Izakaya
Shimbashi's theme is based on the Izakaya, a Japanese tapas restaurant. We offer a multi-faceted menu that can be used as a pairing with sake for the light eater or sophisticated dinner entrées served in the Japanese tradition. Our menu changes with the season making each dining experience a new adventure.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Shimbashi Izakaya - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Shimbashi Izakaya reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (28)scenic view (23)neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (12)romantic (12)special occasion (9)great for lunch (6)good for groups (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Food is greatDixieDined on 10/14/2014Sushi is served in Japanese style. Wasabi is inside. You can also enjoy Americanized sushi, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changing menu - regional cuisinehoofmarkDined on 10/13/2014They try to innovate by now adding regional cuisine of Japan to the menu. Broad range of good food selections well prepared. Fun eating there as we always try at least one new dish. Service is attentive and friendly and view is the best. A favorite place of ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ceviche was deliciousDiningoutDined on 10/10/2014The food was good. The service a bit slow. Tables were a bit too close to each other. The saki was delicious. We had a nice night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location - good sushi.BillDined on 10/4/2014Great location in Del Mar. Really liked the variety of sushi and special options not on the the standard menu. Was a bit noisy due to some sort of party going on upstairs but not a big deal for me. Overall, good time, good food, and location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous RestaurantSkystoneDined on 10/4/2014Fabulous Restaurant - service a little hurried. Enjoyed their restaurant week selections, especially green tea cheese cake.Special Features:
- Favorite Japanese resto in SDThe2CanadiansVIPDined on 9/29/2014Authentic Japanese cuisine ( and frequented by authentic Japanese clients ! ,which is for us a recommandation by itself ) You should try gyoza and any specialties . It is always fresh and very creative . Affordable . We are Canadian and we are coming back every year because this is our favorite restaurant along the coast . We are made feeling most by the staff and especially by the manager , Mrs . Edwards , always smiling and asking if everything is convenient . The menu is very diversified and everybody should be able to Find something . You have to take your time before making a choice and you should not hesitate to ask questions . The view on the outside patio is outstanding . After a few visits , you will be considered as friends .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SDRWSeegarzDined on 9/25/2014Nice venue. Somewhat pricey. Loved the appetizer. Would come again for happy hourSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi and viewsLilCheneyDined on 9/21/2014In addition to having very authentic Japanese food, there are amazing views from the patio of Shimbashi of the Pacific Ocean in Del Mar. I would recommend both the nigiri as well as some exotic maki (rolls).Special Features:
- Oishi!LuckyJVIPDined on 9/15/2014Every single thing we ordered was over the top delicious! Kind of pricey- but well with it! The Ceviche was unbelievably good! I'm going back again soon just for that alone!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014After moving us twice, we end up with a table with a view of the propane tanks, instead of the sunset.Special Features:
- Overall great experienceChuckInSanDiegoDined on 7/26/2014Food: Excellent Service: Perfect Ambiance: Very romantic Cleanliness: Excellent This is my favorite Japanese restaurant. I've never been disappointed. The sushi is always fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodieVIPDined on 7/26/2014We ordered a tuna and California sushi roll. The tuna and crab were both ground up, which is never done in a Japanese restaurant. The rolls are usually served with pieces of fish in them, NOT mashed. We also ordered a piece of Cod. I almost swallowed a bone, and as I looked at the fish again, there were large bones sticking out of the fish. The server removed the fish. Service is very fast, almost like they wanted to turn the table quickly. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Excellent sushiMplsCVIPDined on 7/25/2014Fresh sashimi, grilled halibut, and other Japanese delightsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Japanese foodMplsCVIPDined on 7/5/2014Great selection of Japanese appetizers and sushi; especially enjoyed the spicy calamari. It was rich and delicate without overdoing the breading. The seaweed salad was a trio of seaweed; perfectly brined and tasty. The sashimi was superbly fresh with lightly pickled ginger slices. We had multiple courses, and everything was excellent. Next time, we will order slower to better time the arrival of one course after the next (instead of multiple plates arriving simultaneously). Nice selection of sake, wine and beer, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youChrissieVIPDined on 7/4/2014Beautiful patio and view, good and friendly service, sushi was good with very high prices.Special Features:
- More than great sushisbfoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014The sushi is excellent, yet diners must try the grilled food -- it's terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 134 reviews are from the Shimbashi Izakaya reviews archive.
- Amazing sushi and great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2014We were visiting from Los Angeles and found this gem on Open Table. Best sushi ever! A little pricey, however. Loved it so much, we went back the next evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great authentic Japanese foodEckstigDined on 6/17/2014This is a great find for foodies. We had about a dozen of the entrees from beef tongue to ramen and they were all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas type servings.hoofmarkDined on 6/15/2014Authentic Japanese food well prepared, good variety, fresh, service can be excellent or just good, have been here many times and never disappointed.Special Features:
- Great findHappyguyVIPDined on 6/7/2014A wonderful traditional bar food restaurant with a nice view. Great small plates, as well as sushi and lovely service. Special events too from time to time!Special Features:
- wait parsonansuirenVIPDined on 5/12/2014It was great environment, ingredients, the all the dishes are just great. Unfortunately a waitress is not friendly.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesmjchoiDined on 5/11/2014The view and the food are amazing. The wait staff are extremely friendly. We always come with our little girl and I always feel she is welcome.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood placeluv2dineVIPDined on 5/11/2014Excellent food and service. Very traditional Japanese food.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/9/2014Transport yourself somewhere between the US and Japan. Fusion of traditional Japanese izakaya atmosphere with a touch of West Coast hipSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very enjoyable great selectionhoofmarkDined on 5/4/2014We eat here often and enjoy the food and selection of dishes. Have recommended it to Japanese friends from Tokyo and they too like it. Not your bento box place or cheap food sushi this is good modern day Japanese in a small in type atmosphere.Special Features:
- True Japanese GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/28/2014Very good food, friendly staff - I feel like I have been transported back into JapanSpecial Features:
- Authentic, a bit expensive.overpricedVIPDined on 4/27/2014Authentic Japanese food in Del Mar. Great monkfish liver. Uni porridge w/salmon roe also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sensational Sushi ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2014Brought friends here from Boulder Colorado upon my recommendation . They said this is perhpas the best sushi they have eaten anywhere in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidpedroDined on 4/12/2014They do just about everything right. I would recommend taking a little window cleaner to the windows behind the sushi bar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLance999Dined on 3/12/2014Everything seemed indicative of the area, high prices, barely there service, disappointing food. We are from Vancouver BC so our expectations may be skewed as while certain places may me pricy, there is usually value for your money. As for the food here, the beef tataki wasn't just seared but over cooked, the tuna was stronger tasting than the price point would allude to and the rice on the rolls was way over cooked and of low grade. Some thing's I would expect from a budget sushi place or pre-made at a grocery. We both felt that the concept behind the specialty rolls was missed as well, the flavours were not balanced, adding ingredients for the sake of it rather than because they went well together. Fantastic sunset views on the patio.Special Features:
- Freshest Fresh Fish / sashimiMarcVIPDined on 3/5/2014We started with the Tuna Galore which is awesome, first time ever served live amaebi which was the bomb, the soft shell crab was to die for, everything was just exceptional Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & serviceluv2dineVIPDined on 2/22/2014Very unique menu. Everything we ordered was delicious & the service is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super FreshJaayDined on 2/18/2014First time trying this place and was pleasantly surprised. Sushi was amazing (freshness taste and overall presentation) and our service was equally as good. Sushi chef was animated and joked around with us even tho we had never been there. We wee treated like regulars and plan to become one as we plan to come back time and time again. Great first impression, I recommend the del mar roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedUncleDudeDined on 2/14/2014Went here for valentines day on a date with my girl. She loves the strawberry lemonade cocktail here. Had their five course valentines special for $58. It was perfect if you planned on hanging out for a while to talk, drink(couple to a few) and eat the food. Their food hasn't disappointed us but the waitress helping us that night seemed like she had a long day and just wanted to leave already. Besides that, I'm willing to take the 40 minute drive to eat the food here again and again. The fried Karaage, love it. The portions for the Vday Special was good for the two of us because it didn't make us full so we had room to drink a couple to a few drinks without feeling overwhelmed on the stomach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticJenelleDined on 2/14/2014The food here at Shimbashi was delicious (oishii-katta!), even surprising for a Valentine's night prix fixe menu. Having lived in Japan, I could taste the authentic flavors and it was worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KnockoutyumyuminsdDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I went here for Valentine's Day. The place was perfect! View of the ocean in Del Mar, service was good and friendly, and the food was fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a great experience.ChuckDined on 2/14/2014Overall a great experience. You can't go wrong at this restaurant. I have never been disappointed. I recommend sitting on the patio. There are many heaters for cool nights. It's especially romantic when the fog rolls in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemJjnycVIPDined on 2/13/2014great little sushi bar and a pretty outdoor seating area. good food and not ridiculously priced but service is really slowSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Japanese experiencejustSomeoneVIPDined on 1/31/2014While the sushi is excellent this is more than just sushi. Just browsing the menu takes a while to get oriented, there are so many wonderful dishes, it make take a while to find a favorite Or just go Omakase.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!sashaBVIPDined on 1/4/2014Loved the seaweed salad and the cod was soft as butter. Didn't order raw, but will give it a try next time. No nonsense decor and a small patio for outdoor dining. staff is efficient and friendly. Will definitely return to try more things on the menu. Good sake list, limited wine list and not a beer drinker so can't comment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.