1555 Camino Del Mar Suite 201
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shimbashiizakaya.com/
- Phone: 8585230479x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri:11:30am-2:00pm, Sat&Sun:12:00pm-3:00pm
Dinner: Mon-Fri:4:00pm-10:00pm, Sat&Sun:3:00pm-10:00pm
Happy Hour: Mon - Fri:4:00pm-6:00pm, Sat&Sun:12:00pm-6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Shabu-shabu, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Shimbashi Be Your Chef - Fresh sushi made right in front of you!
If you're looking for a unique way to cater your next event, let us come to you. Shimbashi offers delicious, elegant party trays and on-site catering for business functions and private parties. Shimbashi’s chef will prepare fresh, high-quality sushi in front of your guests, bringing a unique flair of entertainment to your occasion.
To start planning your event menu, please contact us at 858-523-0479.
- Special Events: SHIMBASHI Izakaya is available for your special occasion, business meetings or private parties. We can tailor make a menu to fit your budget; relax and enjoy fresh sushi and sake, inside or on our ocean-view patio.
Please call Hideko Edwards at 858-523-0479 to discuss your needs.
A word from Shimbashi Izakaya
Shimbashi's theme is based on the Izakaya, a Japanese tapas restaurant. We offer a multi-faceted menu that can be used as a pairing with sake for the light eater or sophisticated dinner entrées served in the Japanese tradition. Our menu changes with the season making each dining experience a new adventure.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Shimbashi Izakaya - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Shimbashi Izakaya reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (25)fit for foodies (20)scenic view (16)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (9)great for lunch (8)special occasion (8)romantic (5)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)Show More
- Excellent sushiMplsCVIPDined on 7/25/2014Fresh sashimi, grilled halibut, and other Japanese delightsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Japanese foodMplsCVIPDined on 7/5/2014Great selection of Japanese appetizers and sushi; especially enjoyed the spicy calamari. It was rich and delicate without overdoing the breading. The seaweed salad was a trio of seaweed; perfectly brined and tasty. The sashimi was superbly fresh with lightly pickled ginger slices. We had multiple courses, and everything was excellent. Next time, we will order slower to better time the arrival of one course after the next (instead of multiple plates arriving simultaneously). Nice selection of sake, wine and beer, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youChrissieVIPDined on 7/4/2014Beautiful patio and view, good and friendly service, sushi was good with very high prices.Special Features:
- More than great sushisbfoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014The sushi is excellent, yet diners must try the grilled food -- it's terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing sushi and great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2014We were visiting from Los Angeles and found this gem on Open Table. Best sushi ever! A little pricey, however. Loved it so much, we went back the next evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great authentic Japanese foodEckstigDined on 6/17/2014This is a great find for foodies. We had about a dozen of the entrees from beef tongue to ramen and they were all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas type servings.hoofmarkDined on 6/15/2014Authentic Japanese food well prepared, good variety, fresh, service can be excellent or just good, have been here many times and never disappointed.Special Features:
- Great findHappyguyVIPDined on 6/7/2014A wonderful traditional bar food restaurant with a nice view. Great small plates, as well as sushi and lovely service. Special events too from time to time!Special Features:
- wait parsonansuirenDined on 5/12/2014It was great environment, ingredients, the all the dishes are just great. Unfortunately a waitress is not friendly.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesmjchoiDined on 5/11/2014The view and the food are amazing. The wait staff are extremely friendly. We always come with our little girl and I always feel she is welcome.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/9/2014Transport yourself somewhere between the US and Japan. Fusion of traditional Japanese izakaya atmosphere with a touch of West Coast hipSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very enjoyable great selectionhoofmarkDined on 5/4/2014We eat here often and enjoy the food and selection of dishes. Have recommended it to Japanese friends from Tokyo and they too like it. Not your bento box place or cheap food sushi this is good modern day Japanese in a small in type atmosphere.Special Features:
- True Japanese GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/28/2014Very good food, friendly staff - I feel like I have been transported back into JapanSpecial Features:
- Authentic, a bit expensive.overpricedVIPDined on 4/27/2014Authentic Japanese food in Del Mar. Great monkfish liver. Uni porridge w/salmon roe also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sensational Sushi ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2014Brought friends here from Boulder Colorado upon my recommendation . They said this is perhpas the best sushi they have eaten anywhere in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 122 reviews are from the Shimbashi Izakaya reviews archive.
- SolidpedroDined on 4/12/2014They do just about everything right. I would recommend taking a little window cleaner to the windows behind the sushi bar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLance999Dined on 3/12/2014Everything seemed indicative of the area, high prices, barely there service, disappointing food. We are from Vancouver BC so our expectations may be skewed as while certain places may me pricy, there is usually value for your money. As for the food here, the beef tataki wasn't just seared but over cooked, the tuna was stronger tasting than the price point would allude to and the rice on the rolls was way over cooked and of low grade. Some thing's I would expect from a budget sushi place or pre-made at a grocery. We both felt that the concept behind the specialty rolls was missed as well, the flavours were not balanced, adding ingredients for the sake of it rather than because they went well together. Fantastic sunset views on the patio.Special Features:
- Freshest Fresh Fish / sashimiMarcVIPDined on 3/5/2014We started with the Tuna Galore which is awesome, first time ever served live amaebi which was the bomb, the soft shell crab was to die for, everything was just exceptional Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014Very unique menu. Everything we ordered was delicious & the service is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super FreshJaayDined on 2/18/2014First time trying this place and was pleasantly surprised. Sushi was amazing (freshness taste and overall presentation) and our service was equally as good. Sushi chef was animated and joked around with us even tho we had never been there. We wee treated like regulars and plan to become one as we plan to come back time and time again. Great first impression, I recommend the del mar roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedUncleDudeDined on 2/14/2014Went here for valentines day on a date with my girl. She loves the strawberry lemonade cocktail here. Had their five course valentines special for $58. It was perfect if you planned on hanging out for a while to talk, drink(couple to a few) and eat the food. Their food hasn't disappointed us but the waitress helping us that night seemed like she had a long day and just wanted to leave already. Besides that, I'm willing to take the 40 minute drive to eat the food here again and again. The fried Karaage, love it. The portions for the Vday Special was good for the two of us because it didn't make us full so we had room to drink a couple to a few drinks without feeling overwhelmed on the stomach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticJenelleDined on 2/14/2014The food here at Shimbashi was delicious (oishii-katta!), even surprising for a Valentine's night prix fixe menu. Having lived in Japan, I could taste the authentic flavors and it was worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KnockoutyumyuminsdDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I went here for Valentine's Day. The place was perfect! View of the ocean in Del Mar, service was good and friendly, and the food was fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a great experience.ChuckDined on 2/14/2014Overall a great experience. You can't go wrong at this restaurant. I have never been disappointed. I recommend sitting on the patio. There are many heaters for cool nights. It's especially romantic when the fog rolls in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemJjnycVIPDined on 2/13/2014great little sushi bar and a pretty outdoor seating area. good food and not ridiculously priced but service is really slowSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Japanese experiencejustSomeoneVIPDined on 1/31/2014While the sushi is excellent this is more than just sushi. Just browsing the menu takes a while to get oriented, there are so many wonderful dishes, it make take a while to find a favorite Or just go Omakase.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!sashaBVIPDined on 1/4/2014Loved the seaweed salad and the cod was soft as butter. Didn't order raw, but will give it a try next time. No nonsense decor and a small patio for outdoor dining. staff is efficient and friendly. Will definitely return to try more things on the menu. Good sake list, limited wine list and not a beer drinker so can't comment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/4/2014This is my go to place for quality fresh sushi and japanese fare when I have guests in town. It is consistent and typically the food impresses them. This visit was no exception. The service can be a bit sketchy, snooty, I don't know - weird. We ordered seared beef, yellow tail collar, sashimi, rolls, and lychee sorbet (flipping awesome). I had tea and they had beer. I've had sake there and eaten the hot pot, ginko nuts, kinpira, etc. the food is always good, the service is always weird.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceMikeDVIPDined on 1/3/2014Range of food was amazing. Great sushi and many different small plates. We took another couple who were not experienced with the menu. We ordered several small plates, a variety of sushi and several rolls. All were great. We love uni and theirs was the best. We ate outdoors. Thanks to the heaters we were comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese Sushi Counter and Sake BarHappyDinerDined on 12/31/2013Shimbashi has a suburb sake list and sushi counter. We had the holiday special box. It was amazing. Everything cooked to perfection. Be sure to order rice or noodle dish with entree or you may be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sashimi salad was out of this worldGavinVIPDined on 12/4/2013We stopped in for a quick lunch the other day and had amazing service and delicious food. I had the sashimi salad which was loaded with fresh fish and very tasty, and my co workers had the lunch specials and loved it. We will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patio and serviceChrissieVIPDined on 11/26/2013Great ambience and service. Unfortunately we came early, 4:30, and may have been served fish left over from lunch. It had a scent to it which should not have been there. My friend thought about sending it back but decided not to. Unfortunately he was queasy for a full day afterwards. I've eaten there before for lunch and it was very good. It's a beautiful place so I'm thinking it may have been a mistake on the chef's part in serving questionable sushi.
- 15 at 15thChrissieVIPDined on 10/15/2013Went for the monthly celebration at the Del Mar Plaza, o 15th Street. Onthe 15th of the month, you get a $15 special. We got two sushi rolls for $15. Good deal, gorgeous ocean view, perfect climate for patio dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond ImpressedPaulaDined on 9/18/2013It has been a long time since I have had such a memorable meal. We started with a bottle of Kikusui which is my favorite sake. It was served in a wooden box filled with shaved ice - stunning. We ordered a couple plates at a time along with more sake and each sip/bite was incredible. The sushi was incredibly fresh, the baked cod was moist and delicious and the waygu beef sushi melted in my mouth. I have never had anything like it. Our waitress was incredibly knowledgeable and friendly. My friend truly appreciated being able to practice his Japanese with her - half the time I had no idea what was being ordered. My taste buds are begging me to go back. Shimbashi Izakaya is my new addiction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. We were so gladAvamevaDined on 9/14/2013Great food. We were so glad that there were so many vegetarian options! Found our Japanese restaurant in SD!!Special Features:
- Great views, great food!PaulDined on 8/31/2013If you love scenic views of the Pacific ocean combined with great sushi, sake, and cooked Japanese dishes then Shimbashi is the place for you! Located in the heart of Del Mar, we thoroughly enjoyed the food and ambiance!Special Features:
- Good Food but They Always Hurry YouSoSoVIPDined on 8/17/2013We actually come here a lot and book the 9PM slot because we get 1000 open table points and the sushi is good, but time after time we are rushed to order. It makes the experience not as good - almost not worth it. We almost always don't get to order everything we want because a few minutes after we sit down they tell us the kitchen is closing. I am not sure why this restaurant chooses to offer reservations at this hour if they are just going to hurry you through the meal. I am not sure how we feel about returning as often.
- Patio with an ocean viewChrissieVIPDined on 8/15/2013Overall I would give it 3.5 stars. There was only one waitress serving a number of diners on the patio for lunch. We were there for the Plaza "15 on 15th" special sushi rolls and the server seemed a bit perplexed when I mentioned it but then after checking knew what I was talking about. The service was a tad slow but since we weren't in a rush and the day was perfect with an ocean view, why complain. The sushi rolls were good but I've definitely had better. Had there not been a special, I would say their prices were too high for the quality. Since I did get the special, I rate it overall 4 stars. The waitperson, although rushed, was pleasant and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceCanadianDined on 8/10/2013Very varied menu Very fast service Very tasty sushiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- device good food average to belowOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2013not a great place, but not horrible. if starving and you want to blow a wad of cash you should go.