Shibui Robata Bar
230 Adelaide St. West
Toronto, ON M5H 1W7Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
JapanesePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Shibui Robata Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shibuirobatabar.com/
- Phone: 6477483211x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masaki Nakayama
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Wine
A word from Shibui Robata Bar
Shibui embodies what authentic Japanese food is all about. Using a rustic Japanese grilling technique known as Robata, our chefs attentively grill over charcoal to maintain precise temperatures, constantly tending the grill to achieve perfection. Plates are designed to be shared at the table and are served when ready.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Shibui Robata Bar - Best Restaurants in Downtown/ Financial District ›
Shibui Robata Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (93)special occasion (54)hot spot (48)good for groups (47)romantic (44)vibrant bar scene (34)neighborhood gem (30)great for lunch (23)late-night find (19)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/12/2014Amazing food and great service - this has become our new go-to restaurant for JapaneseSpecial Features:
- Surprising new find!EatalotDined on 9/10/2014Just had lunch but the food was really great. Service was also very good. Considering its new, there were few lunch customers compared to Yuzu No Hana which is next door but I am sure that is going to change.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine!MariDined on 9/9/2014This place takes a sushi meal up several notches. Take the servers recommendations but anything from the grill (esp. Cod with miso crust and scallops) and any spicy salmon rolls are huge hits. Simply amazing and worth the above average cost. A little noisy but the rest makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushiBiztravelerDined on 9/7/2014The sushi was good, service was very good and ambience was cozy and enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delectably DelicateHelloFoodyDined on 8/29/2014Went for a small birthday celebration on a Friday evening. Staff was attentive, although noise level was on the high side since Copacabana is upstairs. Flavours were wonderful, everything tasted fresh and items were portioned elegantly. Would recommend: Kinoko Salad, Nikomi Beef Ribs, Crispy Rice (with either spicy salmon or tuna), Hamachi Ceviche, (from the Grill) Pork Belly, Black Cod, Scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no, save your moneyVegasRegularVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is the 3rd time I've been here and the hostesses are still cold as ice. The first two times I chalked it up to being busy during Summerlicious...but no, still ice cold. Service is lacking, especially by the water girl who doesn't say a peep. Food is decent however for the portion size and price they are charging....good luck. 2 tiny scallops for $16....give me a break. Unfortunate as I am trying to like this place, but there are so many better options in the city.
- Low value for moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Overpriced food, but good well-priced cocktails. Edamame and rolls were good, but 16$ for two scallops?!?
- ImpressiveCinhanDined on 8/15/2014I had made reservations for 6pm for my birthday. We were greeted warmly at the front and taken to our seats. The food and service were excellent. I'm sure the vibe would be different if our reservation was for later. It was fairly quiet during this time. Our kids ages 12 and 10 enjoyed the selection. The robata selection was excellent. Cod was delicious and steak was cooked perfectly. There wasn't one dish we weren't happy with. They also allowed my husband to bring a birthday cake and put a candle in it and brought it to me at the end of the meal. My son left his IPAD at the restaurant and one of the waitresses ran down the street to hand deliver to us. We were so impressed. Thanks for a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/12/2014Food is amazing. However, you cannot order food on main menu at lunch time, they only allow ordering food from the lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/23/2014Very good food. Service could be a little better / speedier but overall the wait staff is friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- A wonderful food experience.TQfoodDined on 7/22/2014Considering this was the first time my wife and I went to Shibui Robata Bar, we are pleasantly surprised to say, this is now one of our favourite restaurants in TO. The food was tantalizing, the service attentive and the decor fun. We will go back and recommend that others go as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a word Delicious.TdineVIPDined on 7/21/2014I picked this restaurant solely based on the pictures and was not disappointed. Summerlicious was extended so we had three courses not including the soup and salad that was included for only $20Cad. I loved the shrimp tempura roll & I usually hate sushi. We shared the miso cod & the lamb. The food was seasoned to perfection. I would return if I lived in Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall experiencemickieDined on 7/20/2014We had to wait 40 mins for our table even though we had reservations for summerilicious! Not really acceptable. Luckily, once we sat down, the service was very good and food came quickly. The 5 course meal was excellent. The only note is that the portions are small and may not be sufficient if one is hungry. Will return.
- Service needs work. Food is blah.AnonymousDined on 7/20/2014Servers were hired to look hot rather than wait on tables - they are incompetent. Even with a reservation, you have to wait 30-45 mins and the staff don't care - the maître d has no time estimates and her demeanour is stand off-ish (even when you're not). Honestly, the food was not worth the wait. The sushi rolls are a joke to begin with (think grocery store). Their grilled vegetables and protein are small portions (not worth it). The veal shoulder was especially disappointing. And, when you order gelato, it's served on a plate half-melted. Did they run out of bowls? Management either sucks or is too focused on Copa Cabana on the top two floors. This is an izakaya wannabe for non-Asian people. If you want to the real stuff, go to Kingyo.
- Summerlicious DinnerLiciousFanDined on 7/18/2014Attracted by extensive (4 choices plus dessert) Summerlicious menu. Chilean Sea Bass Dumplings, Crispy Rice with Salmon/Tuna, Shibui Salmon-maki, & Robata Grilled Asparagus w/Sesame Teriyaki, Sweet Potato w/Red Miso Sauce & Scallop w/Yuzu Garlic Aioli were delicious! Especially enjoyed flavours/textures of Pirikara Ebi-maki & the perfectily grilled Miso Marinated Black Cod. Passion Fruit Mousse & Mango Gelato were yummy & a nice small/light dessert to finish off the meal. Excellent value for the money & wonderful flavours. Staff generally not very helpful. Was enjoying the meal so asked to see regular menu, but was told to ask for it on my way out!! NB entrance was crowded & lined out the door, but my 5:00 sitting was not busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014Terrible service. Had 6:30 reservation and didn't get seated until almost an hour later - and only because we had to tell them that there is an empty table sitting there for over 15 mins. No apologies at all. Water glass have been empty for over 15 mins and no one is filling it. The only upside is the food...nothing else and there are plenty of great restaurants in Toronto so we can do without this one.
- Very tasty Japanese CuisineNanaDined on 7/17/2014We enjoyed great Japanese cuisine here in Toronto. The food decoration is beautiful on the plate and the taste is splendid, too.Special Features:
- Good food but noisylov2eatDined on 7/17/2014The Good - excellent black cod, perfectly cooked asparagus, sweet potato and mushrooms. Perfect passionfruit mousse for dessert. Presentation is superb. The Bad - Restaurant is on lower level and quite dark. The Ugly - Tables are very close together. Noise level is too high. Very difficult to converse with others at the table as hard to hear what they say. Also went for dinner earlier in the week. Over 45 minute wait for a table despite reservations. Several orders mixed up.
- Very Busy and LoudKag11Dined on 7/16/2014My friend and I went for Summerlicious so I expected it to be busy but not once did the waitress come by and see how our meal was and the wait between courses felt very long. Our reservation was after 8pm on a Wednesday and the restaurant was still full at 9:30. My friend was drinking wine and it was a challenge to get someone to offer her another glass even though our table was right beside the main path of the restaurant. The music was very loud which made me shout at my friend (who is sitting less than 4 feet away) just to have a conversation.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/16/2014Came for the summerlicious dinner two times. The food brought me back the second time- the black cod and pork belly were excellent. The quality of the sashimi and sushi was also very good. At $25 the meal was a steal. The only issue was the hosts/hostesses who were disorganized and the fact that the restaurant was clearly overbooked. We were kept waiting for 20 minutes although we had reservations both times.
- Great foodFoodAddictDined on 7/16/2014The food was great. I tried the prix fixe lunch menu with a couple of friends. The portions were a little small. But for $20 I guess I can't complain. The scallops were cooked perfectly; an opaque colour but still soft enough to melt in your mouth. This is a great place to eat with friends. Although the ambiance is quite nice (asian contemporary), I wouldn't recommend it for 'romantic' dates since the tables meant for only two are grouped in the middle together so there's not a lot of privacy for an intimate conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- george38Dined on 7/16/2014Very nice ambience; excellent service; fascinating chefs; the only thing I didn't like was the fact that black cod was not on the menu that day. And the food was .... just perfect for my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food great servicegingintonicDined on 7/15/2014My boyfriend and I absolutely loved the dining experience at Shibui Robata. We were seated at the bar where we were able to watch the chefs prepare the courses and we appreciated our meals even more after watching them. The 5-course summerlicious meal just melted in our mouths and I'm craving it for more as I write this review now. I will definitely recommend this place to all my friends. We will be returning even when summerlicious is done! Thanks to all the staff and chefs at Shibui! You guys were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, good servicelegoDined on 7/15/2014Their grill dishes are delicious and the service was excellent. we have an overall a great experience of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A sensational experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/15/2014Love the open kitchen. Food was beautifully prepared and delish...yummmSpecial Features:
- RinrinDined on 7/15/2014the food was fantastic! service friendly and helpful, even though 1 pop cost 4 dollars, but still, I will definitely come back
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014Unorganized, rude staff, was seated 45 minutes after reservation (defeats the whole purpose of a reservation), order was forgotten and not a single person apologized.
- So good, we went twice.Luv2reserveVIPDined on 7/14/2014We went to Shibui for Summerlicious and loved it so much that we returned the next day. Every single thing we ate was special and that's after eating two different menus. The shashimi, sushi and maki were delicate, varied and artistically presented. The seafood dumplings crisp and hot. The sides were great. But the highlight was the best black cod and filet mignon that we've yet tasted with wonderfully appropriate garnishes. The staff are charming, informing and informed. Even the plates are beautifully interesting. Thank you to everyone for four wonderful meals. We highly recommend Shashimi Robata Bar to anyone seeking a special evening.Special Features:
- Memorable food...heavenly codpassionforfoodDined on 7/14/2014The summerlicjous food servings were superb, especially the cod, dumplings and mushrooms. The service was very good, bartender was helpful and friendly. The only issue was the noise level. My throat was raspy after trying to have conversation over dinner.Special Features:
- cold and invisible staffVegasRegularVIPDined on 7/14/2014cold and invisible staff. waited 30+ minutes for food. won't be going back.
- Went for summerliciousKp1989Dined on 7/14/2014Great service, food was good, excellent summerlicious menu. They had some really good and tasty cocktails and food was on point. Great sushi as well.Special Features:
- Food great, initial service not soJFoodDined on 7/14/2014First - the food was terrific (have the pork belly!) and our waitress was lovely. However, the front of house staff were surly at best. We arrived after 10 mins when someone finally spoke to us we were told we had to wait and were shown to the bar. I ordered a drink, only to be told after the fact I had to settle at the bar and couldn't transfer the tab. Finally when our table was ready we were shown to the table by the same surly young lady who told me "I could bring my drink". A couple of other things: - The air conditioning was really high so I had to wear my coat the whole meal. - We were charged $1 each for water, "Because it comes from a very expensive machine", although this was taken of the bill as soon as we questioned it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively place, tasty foodWriterjaclynDined on 7/13/2014I went during Summerlicious, which may not be representative of Shibui's usual offerings, but our group thoroughly enjoyed the dishes and the special lemonade/gin cocktail. We plan to return another time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WORST Hostess EVEROpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014We reserved a summerlicious dinner at Shibui Robata for a Sunday night at 7. Walking into the restaurant with great expectation of professional services and delicious food, we were shocked by the horrible attitude the hostess has given us. She ignored our "check-in" 3 times, and told us that SHE is very busy and we just have to wait, while we clearly see many empty tables in the restaurant. We were NOT the only patrons left standing and waiting. After 30 minutes of non-responsiveness from the hostess and lack of interests from any of the staff to pay the minimum amount of attention to ALL the patrons waiting for their table by the door, we decided that we have had enough and left. This truly is the WORST dining experience.Special Features:
- Transparency pleaseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/13/2014This is Toronto and not Europe. No where in Toronto are we charged for water without informing the diner. Not being stingy or cheap. I don't mind paying extra if I was told that you serve filtered water instead of tap. But I don't like surprises on the cheque.Special Features:
- Food & serviceFredDined on 7/12/2014The chef did an excellent job on the food. Steak and lamb chop were cooked perfectly. Food taste fantastic and and ambience was great. Noise was just slightly too loud. The only downfall of the restaurant is the waiting system. It was messy. I arrived early for my reservation and people came after me got seated before me. Besides that, it was a great experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SummerliciousCeho86Dined on 7/12/2014Went for Summerlicious on Saturday night. It was amazing for the 25$ dinner menu with a lot of variety and options to choose from. It was our first time there and it was a great find. The noise level was pretty loud with the bar upstairs but we also dined late that night so I'll chalk it up to that. I'd definitely return to check out the regular menu. Service was great considering it was the servers 2nd shift and for a packed restaurant during Summerlicious the food was prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great idea, good food..JDNgynDined on 7/12/2014Upon entering the building, it was very loud which was to be expected with Copacabana upstairs. At the front, when I checked in with the hosts for my reservations, they didn't seem very welcoming or enthusiastic. Some reviews did mention this and I had thought that maybe it was bad luck. We finally sat down about 20 minutes after our reservation time. Note that we sat at the kitchen bar. Unfortunately, it went downhill since then. The servers and kitchen were completely distracted with the female diners and eventually neglected our empty plates and glasses. The kitchen staff was preoccupied with entertaining the ladies to the left and right of us. They disregarded the fact that it was my beloved's birthday which I had made a note of.Special Features:
- Summerlicious dinnerLeahDined on 7/11/2014Food was very good, but we had a long wait for our table and then for the food. Noise level was too high. Our waiter was very nice and helpful. Will come back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodGolfladyDined on 7/11/2014Service was good, nice evening. We were there on a very busy Friday and it was very noisy.Special Features: