Shells and Sauce
2600 E. 12th Ave
Denver, CO 80206Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Shells and Sauce
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.italianrestaurantdenver.com/
- Phone: 3033772091
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marcus Jimenez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Shells and Sauce
Serving authentic Italian American food in the heart of Congress Park, Shells and Sauce brings Old Country taste to a cozy neighborhood restaurant. If you’re craving home-made lasagna, meat or fish, Shells and Sauce has a variety of savory appetizers and entrees to chose from. We also boast an extensive wine list to pair with anything you choose, and we offer delicious desserts to top off your evening. Whether you sit on our rooftop or in our main dining room to watch our open kitchen, Shells and Sauce is a great place to entertain friends or family in an inviting setting. Step into our kitchen and let us share our passion for food!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Shells and Sauce - Best Restaurants in Cherry Creek ›
Shells and Sauce reviews from OpenTable diners
182 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (143)great for outdoor dining (61)fit for foodies (57)great for brunch (55)special occasion (41)good for groups (34)romantic (30)kid-friendly (28)hot spot (19)great for lunch (19)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (10)scenic view (8)Show More
- Hum12Dined on 8/24/2014We ate here during Denver Restaurant Week based on the menu and the recommendation of a friend. The location was convenient to downtown. The food was wonderful with a large selection to choose from. The portion size was very good. Because of the restaurant week special price, the value was excellent with four courses and a glass of wine for $30. Shells and Sauce is a place we will recommend to friends and we will return to when we come back to Denver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014i thought it took a little long to get your meal other than that the food was greatSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014The food was great. Loved the marsala, but the chicken was awful, like bad spongy frozen chicken. Otherwise, we really liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A HUGE disappointmentMBellDined on 8/22/2014We had been wanting to give this restaurant a try for awhile, but it was such a disappointment when we finally made it there. It was very noisy inside, but that wasn't the issue, because it seems most restaurants these days are quite noisy. It was the poor quality of food that will keep us from ever returning. It started right off with the soda that my husband ordered, which was flat. Then it took 55 min. to get our food. I got eggplant parm and my husband got veal parm. Both were dry, tasteless, luke warm at best and the spaghetti that came with it was cold - refrigerator kind of cold! There very little sauce on it as well.
- Wonderful!MariVIPDined on 8/22/2014I've been to Shells many times and am never disappointed. The staff is very friendly and the food is awesome! I believe brunch here is one of the best in Denver. Also, my friends and I enjoy the happy hour as well. Great place. ..Check them out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent Italian food77yumDined on 8/17/2014We were seated in a relatively quiet corner on a Sunday and the time was early. The Lasagna was superb and the wine very good. The waitress and staff are friendly and professional. We will eat there again, however, it can be quite noisy at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodShaunDined on 8/16/2014Love the cocktails, Breakfast burrito, and brunch in generalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IgnoredOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/15/2014I dined here on a friday night and did not see a server, so much as received a menu or water for about 15 minutes. Finally, we decided to go to the hostess to make sure that the server knew that we were sat. She apologized and said she would let them know. When we waited 10 more minutes without a server (even though we were passed by 2 servers running back and fourth to the tables around us, I am assuming one of them was ours), we decided to tell the hostess we were leaving. Upon arriving to the hostess stand, she apologized again and said there are two open tables at the bar on the upstairs patio and that we would surely receive quick and prompt service there. We unfortunately were ignored again, and decided to give up.Special Features:
- Twice so far, so goodTrickyRedcoatDined on 8/14/2014I have taken my girlfriend here for a date twice and each time she has enjoyed it. The service is excellent at this place. I will put one exception as when we went here for brunch our server was terrible, providing poor service and kept making the girls feel uncomfortable with his eye contact. Brunch is unimpressive, with the bad service, 1 star. Back to dinner anyway, which has been a different story. The food was delicious. The first time I went I had a pork chop that was the best I have ever had. The bread and dipping sauce they serve before the meal is excellent and I have enjoyed the cocktails each time. The atmosphere of Shells and Sauce is very cozy and warm. I'm sure I will be back soon for dinner. Brunch I will give time to change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Dinnerlinds18Dined on 8/13/2014I will definitely be coming back here! We were seated right away with our reservation and the restaurant became very busy as the evening went on. The restaurant can be noisy but it seems like they have a nice patio if you would prefer to sit outside. The food was delicious! They have a wide variety to choose from, with classic to adventurous salads and pasta dishes. I really enjoyed the meal and our server was very friendly and efficient!Special Features:
- Shells & Sauce DisappointmentGwizDined on 8/10/2014After 3 1/2 years away from Denver, we really looked forward to the opportunity to dine at Shells and Sauce - we even made reservations. Sad to say our meals were too salty. Great disappointment compared to our last meals here.
- Yum!MariaGDined on 8/10/2014Wonderful Sunday afternoon early dinner. Be sure to wait until 3:30. Great food. Service is fantastic!Special Features:
- Excellent Italian food and brunchMarcVIPDined on 8/10/2014Shells and Sauce hits a nice medium, where it's a perfect date place at night with delicious but not pretentious Italian food, but also a great place to get brunch during the day on weekends. It's also tucked in the middle of a neighborhood, so it feels like a private find.Special Features:
- Too noisy on the weekenddisappointedVIPDined on 8/9/2014Two of the four of us are hard of hearing. Had asked for a quiet table when making my reservation on Open Table several days earlier. The host was so overwhelmed with crowd, we were lucky to get a table for four let alone a table at which we could hear one another above the noise. Because of the earlier reservation, I expected better service up front. Would avoid this restaurant on the weekend.
- Poor service on a busy Fri nightdisappointedVIPDined on 8/8/2014Two of the 4 of us are hard of hearing. Had asked for a quiet table when making my reservation on Open Table several days earlier. The host was so overwhelmed with crowd, we were lucky to get a table for four let alone a table at which we could hear one another above the noise. Because of the earlier reservation, I expected better service up front. In addition, the waitress was inattentive and did not know the evening's specials. Would avoid this restaurant on the weekend.
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We travel from Arvada to come to Shells and Sauce. It's worth our time because we love the service and the food so much. Recommend to everyone.Special Features:
- I don't get it...BartDined on 8/6/2014...after hearing about it for years, finally tried it on a Wed evening. Was crowded, VERY noisy, service was awful. Food? Just OK, absolutely nothing special, on the expensive side for what you get. And the food is 'Lazy'. Saltimbocca has always been punted veal or chicken, they just cut a thigh in the middle and stuff it with cheese & ham and call it a day, Spagetti? Simple pasta an a extremely ordinary sauce. Why the crowds? Neighborhood can walk to it, will embrace and accept the mediocre I guess.Special Features:
- Chow HoundChowHoundDined on 8/6/2014Fine outdoor dining when it's not raining. Menu varied and interesting. Small and noisy indoor space.Special Features:
- Wish I lived closerLadiesWhoLimoDined on 8/6/2014I had a great dinner here with 8 friends. We walked over from the Denver Botanic Gardens. Brady went above and beyond as our server. He even gave us separate checks, without a grimace at the request! The food was wonderful, plentiful and perfectly prepared. If I lived in Denver, I would definately be a regular customer here.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Food was amazing. Well worth future visits. Our server was very friendly and made us feel at home.Special Features:
- Disappointedclyde1Dined on 8/3/2014The restaurant was extremely crowded and tables were much too close together making it very uncomfortable with chairs back to back on adjacent tables. The wait staff couldn't get through to many of the tables and had to reach across diners to deliver food. Service was slow and half of our meals were not served hot. Extremely noisy. All around a disappointing experience.
- Service Trumps Food but Not by MuchMaximillian00VIPDined on 8/1/2014This was our first visit to Shells and Sauce and because of the reviews we read on OpenTable, we had high expectations. We were seated immediately and at the table we wanted. The service was a little slow, especially with our anti pasti plate, but the food was delicious and the staff very friendly, we really didn't notice the time pass. I had a delicious Shrimp Diavolo but if you don't like garlic, I wouldn't recommend it. My wife had Chicken Marsala which she really enjoyed. We would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Italian restaurantJeanVIPDined on 7/31/2014I had takeout from here on a previous trip to Denver, but this visit wanted to see the source! Interesting presentations of classic Italian..with a great staff and excellent wine recommendations to boot. This will become a regular stop on visits to family in Denver.Special Features:
- Good Food and Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014The service at this restaurant outshines their great food even. We got the table we wanted and were greeted by an enthusiastic staff that was eager to please. I would definitely come dine again if we are in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BrunchAverageDinerDined on 7/27/2014I went to Shells and Sauce for brunch with some friends and it was an overall great experience; great food, attentive servers, and relaxed ambiance. However, I would suggest making a reservation or getting in right when they open because they fill up quick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Fabulous!EatinItAllDined on 7/26/2014Shells and Sauce is ALWAYS fabulous, NEVER disappointing. Went for dinner Saturday and back for brunch on Sunday.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/25/2014Absolutely love this place, try to get there once a weekSpecial Features:
- ReviewJamesonEATSDined on 7/24/2014My second time coming to the establishment, I Absolutley adore Brady he is fantastic. They are lucky to have him. Food was awesome. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaellVIPDined on 7/24/2014We've been coming here for years. I think they got a new chef because what we had just wasn't as flavorful as in the past. It was still high quality and well-prepared, however.
- Great experience!RenGutDined on 7/23/2014The food is excellent, very unique and delicious menu options with a very nice drink list to complement them. I've gone to Shells and Sauce on several occasions, for a fun dinner with friends and a nice date with my spouse, and enjoyed it immensely every time. Just don't get too hooked on their specials, they might not have them on the menu again! The atmosphere is a little loud (but fun), so don't plan on having a quiet dinner. Make sure to get reservations because it is rarely not busy - regardless of how early or late or what day of the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and accommodatingkerks28Dined on 7/20/2014I screwed up the reservation (said two people too few) and we were late and they still were happy to work with us. Food was solid and tasty and I will be back.Special Features:
- Consistently goodharrietDined on 7/19/2014We brought a couple new to Denver with their two toddlers. The staff handled our party of 6 and it's accompanying noisiness and messiness with perfect respectfulness, even helping to look for little toys on the floor that had fallen off the table. In general, I wouldn't recommend Shells to families, as it's small and gets robustly loud in spite of younger tykes. But, on the other hand, they seem very welcome. The food was tasty, especially the entree of brussels sprouts with pasta and gorgonzola cream sauce, and the pizza was excellent. All the food came out at once, which helped us to not miss a beat in conversation. Almost don't want to tell people how good this restaurant is, as it will get more difficult to get in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experience.NelleDined on 7/19/2014Food was good. Waitress was pleasant and efficient. Seating was horrible.Special Features:
- Hidden treasureGr8funDined on 7/19/2014We found this quaint restaurant nestled in a neighborhood. The locals know it well. It usually starts getting really busy around 5:30, so I would get there early. The food is amazing. It's a little loud downstairs, so try to be seated upstairs by the bar for a more intimate setting. Reservations are a good idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful place !OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2014Kenneth was a great waiter we had a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Good was good, drinks were strong but it was loud! This was a Tuesday night and I couldn't hear the person across from me.I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE FOOD WAS GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014The food was wonderful. The service was good. Just one little problem: the food arrived way too late.Special Features:
- LoveMarissaDined on 7/13/2014Love everything about this place. Their brunch menu is wonderful- chix and waffles is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2014We always enjoy dining at this fun, friendly, neighborhood restaurant. Service is good, food a great value and a lively atmosphere. Don't think you'll be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Committed regulars for brunchNeighbors4FoodDined on 7/12/2014Don't normally make a reservation as we tend to come early or for happy hour. Outside or upstairs tend to be quieter, which we prefer. Love the eggs carbonara and Caesar salad. They no longer have the veggie benedict on the menu but always make it upon my wife's request. She said this was the best one ever with sautéed mushrooms, asparagus and broccoli rabe. Cannot beat the inexpensive bloody's and mimosas for brunch. This is our go-to for comfort food in a relaxed, if not sometimes hopping, atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.