Shells and Sauce
2600 E. 12th Ave
Denver, CO 80206Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Shells and Sauce
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.italianrestaurantdenver.com/
- Phone: 3033772091
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marcus Jimenez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Shells and Sauce
Serving authentic Italian American food in the heart of Congress Park, Shells and Sauce brings Old Country taste to a cozy neighborhood restaurant. If you’re craving home-made lasagna, meat or fish, Shells and Sauce has a variety of savory appetizers and entrees to chose from. We also boast an extensive wine list to pair with anything you choose, and we offer delicious desserts to top off your evening. Whether you sit on our rooftop or in our main dining room to watch our open kitchen, Shells and Sauce is a great place to entertain friends or family in an inviting setting. Step into our kitchen and let us share our passion for food!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Shells and Sauce - Best Restaurants in Cherry Creek ›
Shells and Sauce reviews from OpenTable diners
194 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (156)great for outdoor dining (70)fit for foodies (68)great for brunch (52)special occasion (40)good for groups (36)romantic (32)kid-friendly (30)hot spot (27)great for lunch (22)vibrant bar scene (16)notable wine list (14)late-night find (9)scenic view (7)Show More
- The B E S T!MarissaDined on 9/28/2014Best food, best service, best atmosphere and best server Therell!! Met my friend for brunch on Sunday 9/28 on the patio and everything was wonderful! I am a veteran to this restaurant but my friend enjoyed every bit of the experience and this will always be our favorite for brunch and dinner.Special Features:
- AMAZING FOOD!!JayEmDubDined on 9/27/2014We ordered the Caprese ravioli and had not had pasta that amazing since we'd been back from Rome. can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Unfortunate FailNotAFoodSnobDined on 9/26/2014We have eaten at this restaurant at least 2-3 times in the past and had a mediocre experience. We thought we would give it another chance, as our children had requested it for a celebration dinner. Aside from our delightful waitress, this experience was a flop for several reasons: *Overpriced wine, $10/glass for 4 oz *Tiniest Mussels ever seen! *Meatball arrived cold with cold sauce and terribly pink inside *Ordered the apple and brie salad….about 1/4 c of arugala on top of a brie and apple 5-6" Jenga tower…no thanks…should be on the appetizer list *Exchanged it for the chopped salad….could taste the bleach or cleaning product on the tomatoes!!! *$20 ravioli special had 2 raviolis!!!! Sorry Shells and Sauce….never ever again!!!
- Amazing NightMikeVIPDined on 9/24/2014Went to Shells and Sauce after walking through the Denver Botanical Garden featuring the Dale Chihuly exhibit (amazing) and so was the food this night at the restaurant. I had the Chicken special with mushrooms satchels (sp?) and it was amazing dinner. Can't wait to go back and see what new specials they have. But if none look too good, there regular menu has some great items on it like the Chipinno (yum).Special Features:
- great food - terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2014the food was great - the service was incredibly slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placerudyDined on 9/23/2014Great neighborhood place. Patio right at street but nice. Across the street from Chinese restaurant so get fragrances from there while you are eating delicious Italian food. Server was very efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually great pickVisitorDined on 9/21/2014Brunch today served excellent veggie omelette, French toast and breakfast tacos. However, food was lukewarm except that omelette was hot. Maybe they shouldn't have waited for eggs to be done because other orders waiting became cold. Toast burnt unfortunately and fruit overripe. Still would dine there again because other times there, the experience was great.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood placeLoraLeeDined on 9/20/2014Within walking distance of the Denver Botanic Gardens. The noise level is very high, it would have been better to sit outside. We were disappointed in one of the specials we ordered, our server and the board said it was 4 tiger prawns, but when the dish came, it was a handful of bagged shrimp. The chopped salad is always great, as were the crab cakes.Special Features:
- Saturday Evening FunSaturdayevefunDined on 9/20/2014I am always very pleased with everything with which I encounter at Shells and Sauce. The food is consistently good, but the service is a big reason why I continue to dine here. All of the wait staff does a great job, however Brady is superb, and he alone causes me to continue to love this restaurant. Great job to the management for hiring such excellent servers.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Great service. Perfect lighting. Amazing food. Positive vibe. Everyone had a great attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisysamthemamDined on 9/19/2014we went on a Friday night despite having reservation took a while to sit down and then the noise level was bad you had to scream at the people at your table. if we go back would go earlier on a week night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014We were a party of 4 - all having something different and everyone was very pleased with their food. Good service too. Our only negative comment is that the tables are placed way too close together. Even tho the food was excellent - I would think twice before returning just because of the constriction of being so very close to other patrons.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014Their food never disappoints. Always excellent! Service is very good too.Special Features:
- AH-MAZ-INGOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/14/2014Every time I eat here it is better than the time before! The food is outstanding and the staff is always so great! I wish my dining experience at other restaraunts could be half as good as it is when I dine here!Special Features:
- ServerHaphapDined on 9/12/2014Our male server was fabulous! Funny, friendly, open and sarcastic in a most entertaining and heart warming way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shells and SauceJEdinersDined on 9/12/2014We thought the service was excellent, the food very good, the lower level was way too crowded and upstairs had a generic, disappointing atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great BrunchCoDebDined on 9/7/2014Went with a couple of friends for brunch this weekend and the food was great as always. They have such an eclectic brunch menu and I love it. The place was really noisy. More so than usual but it still is a great place to go for weekend brunch.Special Features:
- Not As Good...GoodFoodFanVIPDined on 9/5/2014We had not been to Shells and Sauce for several months. Previously, the food was consistently good and the service attentive. This time, the service was again very good, but on this occasion, the food was no where near our previous visits. The restaurant's signature bread has changed - and not for the better. My cesear salad was simply romaine lettuce, no cheese, no croutons, just the lettuce. While my Cioppino was adequate, my wife's eggplant was not edible - the eggplant was overly deep fried with waaaaaay to much breading and the eggplant not cooked - really bad! After this experience, not sure we would go back.Special Features:
- Like this placedavydVIPDined on 8/30/2014Good east coast Italian at a reasonable price. Nice corner for outdoor dining with the right weather. Inside dining room could use some noise reduction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Excellent service from Jake, decent food. Silly length requirementSpecial Features:
- Hum12Dined on 8/24/2014We ate here during Denver Restaurant Week based on the menu and the recommendation of a friend. The location was convenient to downtown. The food was wonderful with a large selection to choose from. The portion size was very good. Because of the restaurant week special price, the value was excellent with four courses and a glass of wine for $30. Shells and Sauce is a place we will recommend to friends and we will return to when we come back to Denver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014i thought it took a little long to get your meal other than that the food was greatSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014The food was great. Loved the marsala, but the chicken was awful, like bad spongy frozen chicken. Otherwise, we really liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A HUGE disappointmentMBellDined on 8/22/2014We had been wanting to give this restaurant a try for awhile, but it was such a disappointment when we finally made it there. It was very noisy inside, but that wasn't the issue, because it seems most restaurants these days are quite noisy. It was the poor quality of food that will keep us from ever returning. It started right off with the soda that my husband ordered, which was flat. Then it took 55 min. to get our food. I got eggplant parm and my husband got veal parm. Both were dry, tasteless, luke warm at best and the spaghetti that came with it was cold - refrigerator kind of cold! There very little sauce on it as well.
- Wonderful!MariVIPDined on 8/22/2014I've been to Shells many times and am never disappointed. The staff is very friendly and the food is awesome! I believe brunch here is one of the best in Denver. Also, my friends and I enjoy the happy hour as well. Great place. ..Check them out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent Italian food77yumDined on 8/17/2014We were seated in a relatively quiet corner on a Sunday and the time was early. The Lasagna was superb and the wine very good. The waitress and staff are friendly and professional. We will eat there again, however, it can be quite noisy at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodShaunDined on 8/16/2014Love the cocktails, Breakfast burrito, and brunch in generalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IgnoredOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/15/2014I dined here on a friday night and did not see a server, so much as received a menu or water for about 15 minutes. Finally, we decided to go to the hostess to make sure that the server knew that we were sat. She apologized and said she would let them know. When we waited 10 more minutes without a server (even though we were passed by 2 servers running back and fourth to the tables around us, I am assuming one of them was ours), we decided to tell the hostess we were leaving. Upon arriving to the hostess stand, she apologized again and said there are two open tables at the bar on the upstairs patio and that we would surely receive quick and prompt service there. We unfortunately were ignored again, and decided to give up.Special Features:
- Twice so far, so goodTrickyRedcoatDined on 8/14/2014I have taken my girlfriend here for a date twice and each time she has enjoyed it. The service is excellent at this place. I will put one exception as when we went here for brunch our server was terrible, providing poor service and kept making the girls feel uncomfortable with his eye contact. Brunch is unimpressive, with the bad service, 1 star. Back to dinner anyway, which has been a different story. The food was delicious. The first time I went I had a pork chop that was the best I have ever had. The bread and dipping sauce they serve before the meal is excellent and I have enjoyed the cocktails each time. The atmosphere of Shells and Sauce is very cozy and warm. I'm sure I will be back soon for dinner. Brunch I will give time to change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Dinnerlinds18Dined on 8/13/2014I will definitely be coming back here! We were seated right away with our reservation and the restaurant became very busy as the evening went on. The restaurant can be noisy but it seems like they have a nice patio if you would prefer to sit outside. The food was delicious! They have a wide variety to choose from, with classic to adventurous salads and pasta dishes. I really enjoyed the meal and our server was very friendly and efficient!Special Features:
- Shells & Sauce DisappointmentGwizDined on 8/10/2014After 3 1/2 years away from Denver, we really looked forward to the opportunity to dine at Shells and Sauce - we even made reservations. Sad to say our meals were too salty. Great disappointment compared to our last meals here.
- Yum!MariaGDined on 8/10/2014Wonderful Sunday afternoon early dinner. Be sure to wait until 3:30. Great food. Service is fantastic!Special Features:
- Excellent Italian food and brunchMarcVIPDined on 8/10/2014Shells and Sauce hits a nice medium, where it's a perfect date place at night with delicious but not pretentious Italian food, but also a great place to get brunch during the day on weekends. It's also tucked in the middle of a neighborhood, so it feels like a private find.Special Features:
- Too noisy on the weekenddisappointedVIPDined on 8/9/2014Two of the four of us are hard of hearing. Had asked for a quiet table when making my reservation on Open Table several days earlier. The host was so overwhelmed with crowd, we were lucky to get a table for four let alone a table at which we could hear one another above the noise. Because of the earlier reservation, I expected better service up front. Would avoid this restaurant on the weekend.
- Poor service on a busy Fri nightdisappointedVIPDined on 8/8/2014Two of the 4 of us are hard of hearing. Had asked for a quiet table when making my reservation on Open Table several days earlier. The host was so overwhelmed with crowd, we were lucky to get a table for four let alone a table at which we could hear one another above the noise. Because of the earlier reservation, I expected better service up front. In addition, the waitress was inattentive and did not know the evening's specials. Would avoid this restaurant on the weekend.
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We travel from Arvada to come to Shells and Sauce. It's worth our time because we love the service and the food so much. Recommend to everyone.Special Features:
- I don't get it...BartDined on 8/6/2014...after hearing about it for years, finally tried it on a Wed evening. Was crowded, VERY noisy, service was awful. Food? Just OK, absolutely nothing special, on the expensive side for what you get. And the food is 'Lazy'. Saltimbocca has always been punted veal or chicken, they just cut a thigh in the middle and stuff it with cheese & ham and call it a day, Spagetti? Simple pasta an a extremely ordinary sauce. Why the crowds? Neighborhood can walk to it, will embrace and accept the mediocre I guess.Special Features:
- Chow HoundChowHoundDined on 8/6/2014Fine outdoor dining when it's not raining. Menu varied and interesting. Small and noisy indoor space.Special Features:
- Wish I lived closerLadiesWhoLimoDined on 8/6/2014I had a great dinner here with 8 friends. We walked over from the Denver Botanic Gardens. Brady went above and beyond as our server. He even gave us separate checks, without a grimace at the request! The food was wonderful, plentiful and perfectly prepared. If I lived in Denver, I would definately be a regular customer here.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Food was amazing. Well worth future visits. Our server was very friendly and made us feel at home.Special Features: