Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado
1500 Orange Avenue
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hoteldel.com/
- Phone: (619) 522-8490
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily for Breakfast 7:00am - 11:00am, Lunch 11:30am - 3:00pm and Dinner 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado
Sheerwater offers California coastal cuisine: regional specialties that emphasize bold flavor, tantalizing spices and seasonally inspired menus. Signature entrees are prepared in the exhibition oven. A special children's menu includes original takes on traditional childhood favorites. The bar offers signature margaritas, blended tropical drinks and California 's premier wines. Serving breakfast, lunch, cocktails, light fare and dinner daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado - Best Restaurants in Coronado ›
Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (132)scenic view (130)special occasion (71)romantic (56)great for brunch (49)great for lunch (46)fit for foodies (45)good for groups (36)kid-friendly (34)neighborhood gem (20)hot spot (14)notable wine list (13)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Perfect Sea side diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014i can not say enough about this wonderful restaurant! Perfect food on a perfect day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed thoughts...CeehVIPDined on 11/11/2014We were received by an extremely (and I mean EXTREMELY) rude hostess, Karina, which left all four in our party wanting to walk right back out the door. If we had not been starving, I suspect we would have. The food was very tasty, and we all enjoyed our buffet meals. That being said, I don't believe my husband & I will return on our own, due to the fact that we are San Diego natives and there happen to be hundreds of better breakfast options locally, without the very steep price tag of $33 per person for a breakfast buffet! However, our out-of-town guests loved the ambiance, views, and upscale vibe of the Del, so this might be our go-to when hosting guests.Special Features:
- So glad we made itfarr76Dined on 11/9/2014The last time we were in San Diego we stopped at the Hotel Del just to check it out. We weren't hungry at that time, so we did not stay to eat, but vowed that if we ever came back, having lunch at the Sheerwater was definitely on the menu! Two years later and we are back! On our way from the airport to Carlsbad, we stopped to enjoy the hotel and the beach and a fantastic lunch at the Sheerwater. Our waiter, Gary, was awesome and made us feel right at home. The Grilled Cheese with Tomato Basil Soup was to die for. Fish and chips were awesome as well. Definitely a must do if you are in the area.Special Features:
- Outstanding BrunchNordicsLtdDined on 11/9/2014Excellent brunch selection and freshness. Each item well presented and tasted delicious. Service was great and views beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $$$$$$$spilledmilkDined on 11/9/2014DIsapointed that the prices have gone up. It used to be $20 something per person. Now it's $33. For that much, you'd think one bloody mary or mimosa would be included, but nope, those are like $16!!! Might as well go to the fancy brunch if you're going to be spending so much money. Also sad to see the omelet bar gone--its fine to order from a waiter instead but wish they had a list of all the signature omlets that were so great. The food was delicious as always though. We especially loved the chilaquiles, the monkey bread, the apple sweet pastry. mmmm And they are always so nice and accommodating to our little kids.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014our food was cold when we got it. the location is beautiful but food was lacking.Special Features:
- gigiDined on 11/7/2014The ambiance was very nice, and the hotel setting was majestic to say the least. However, there was an outdoor fireplace/chimney near our table in which I had to keep ducking the waiter's tray to allow him to pass. You should avoid seating guests there because it's obviously a thoroughfare and quite annoying if you have to constantly accommodate the waiter's passage during a meal. There were many other tables from which to choose. We were a bit disappointed in the seafood platter appetizer because there was very little flavor in the shrimp and oysters. It was a lovely day spent by the ocean with my elderly parents, but next time we will assert our seating desires more and not order seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/5/2014Another home run from the great Hotel Del Coronado...everything was perfect. Our server was warm and welcoming and took time to make sure we had a wonderful experience. This is a vacation spot year round for locals:) Lucky us.Special Features:
- A Special Night!!DianaJDDined on 11/4/2014Dining at The Del Coronado is always a special experience. The food is delicious, the service is wonderful and the view is breathtaking. It was our 31st Anniversary and the staff made us feel like royalty. We were thankful we choose to celebrate at The Del. It will be a memory that will last a lifetime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect view!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014We were so thrilled to have a table in front of the fireplace with a view of the water! I appreciate so much that Sheerwater placed us there and that we had an opportunity to request it through Open Table! Wonderful evening, thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014Service was gracious and attentive. Nice wine and cocktail selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pass on this placeBeachgirlDined on 10/27/2014I can't believe the prices for this place. It feels like a sterile diner. No ambience. That's part of the experience I'm willing to pay for. I had a burger over $20 with a side of fries. Choose a different Hotel del restaurant. The brunch set up might be worth it though.
- Longtime Coronado TemKBinCasperDined on 10/24/2014My Husband and I always try to make it out to special landmark as the ambiance is so wonderful. We didn't want a full dinner so I had the shrimp scampi and my husband had the fish and chips. Both entrée were nice sized and we were so full. Also ordered the cauliflower au gratin-very very good-almost as good as the au gratin potatoes they used to have. The one negative about the Hotel Del is the prices of the drinks are $15 which quickly increases the tab significantly! I would recommend dining here for the overall experience of what a classy place was like many years ago--not hard to imagine the ladies in their long dresses, wide brimmed hats and parasols. The hotel is a must see as part of the experience. They will validate parking.Special Features:
- Atmosphere OnlyKaymoDined on 10/22/2014The only reason anyone should ever go here would be the amazing sunset. But, remember you can see the sunset without paying very high prices for very poor food while waiting almost an hour to receive that poor food.Special Features:
- Poor serviceCherVIPDined on 10/19/2014Service was horrible, ordered a salad and crab cake, took over an hour!Special Features:
- Have been there many timesJoeFDined on 10/19/2014My wife and I go here a lot. It is here favorite place in San Diego (although it's in Coronado). We went this time as part of her birthday (and our anniversary) weekend and had an enjoyable time. We had brunch then stopped by the bar to watch a Charger game. The food was good and the service was a little slow but the waiter was really friendly and attentive. The only shocker was what we paid for parking ($48 for 3.5 hours, even after the restaurant validated our ticket!). WE used valet, next time I'll find street parking! Overall it was a nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunchCasualfoodieDined on 10/18/2014Beautiful setting, attentive service, and delicious food made this impromptu lunch just perfect. We shared a delicious crab cake appetizer and then went for the Alaskan salmon and crab and chicken pasta dishes. Fresh ingredients and bold combinations made our meal fabulous. There happened to be an event happening on the lawn in front of our outdoor table, so we also were able to enjoy live music while sipping wine in an ideal climate-- not bad people-watching, either.Special Features:
- Best service food so soOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Our waiter Manny was "the best we've ever had" - stated by my husband and daughter, and I would agree. Sadly, the food was only so so, especially for the price. You pay for the view and ambience, the food needs a little improvement. IMHOSpecial Features:
- Deliciouseats48Dined on 10/17/2014Awesome date night with my wife with the perfect surroundings!Special Features:
- Great food and service!ESLocalDined on 10/16/2014Our server was attentive and friendly, and the food was great!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerSunshineDined on 10/13/2014The food and the view were great but the drinks at $15.00 a drink were not worth the price. I ordered a Mojito and my husband order a Rum & coke...too much for an okay drink. Fish & chips were good and they even treated me to a birthday tiramisu!Special Features:
- Great lobster menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed an amazing meal. We will be back:) The lobster special waffle appetizer was fabulous...Special Features:
- Poor service and food qualityDontgothereDined on 10/12/2014Server was rude. At first, he told us he wanted us to switch seats (not tables) because "we were on his way." We refused, and then he started pushing the chair everytime he was passing by. Steak was over cooked, it got sent back. Food was OK, yet not worth the price. Do not go there!!! It is the worst dinning experience I have ever had, definitely price and quality are not equally proportional.Special Features:
- SheerwaterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014I brought girl friends for an outdoor lunch. We loved the food and the view. Great experience. Our server Jessica was wonderful. Professional, friendly, patient and attentive. The entire wait staff was marvelous. I live in SD area and am so happy I brought my out of town friends to the Del.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch Overlooking OceanJNunezVIPDined on 10/12/2014What are great place for Sunday brunch! At $33 for a fancy Sunday brunch given the beauty of the location, this is really special. The fancier hotel restaurant has a more expensive version (and I presume the offerings are that much fancier), but this Sunday brunch was delicious and had more than enough to offer. (No dessert, however, if you're needing that!) Nice selection of pre-made items in chafing dishes along with a few made-to-order items.Special Features:
- Can't beat the viewkendrarelDined on 10/11/2014The outdoor seating area is clean and has a European feel to it. The food was very enjoyable and the selection was really great. You can have anything you want here for brunch.Special Features:
- Great nightJaxprsDined on 10/7/2014The food was great and the view was wonderful. The fireworks from another event on the grounds made for a great ending to the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/5/2014Suuuper expensive for what you get, food wise. Food is fine and all, just not at that price point. You are definitely paying for the location.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014One of the best meals ever! Gary our waiter was outstanding! He was attentive, knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best place to beOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2014A dining experience that you don't want to come to an end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Views with great foodDinningDivaDined on 9/28/2014We had the lump crab appetizer - very plentiful and nicely presented. The Chilean Sea Bass was excellent and the side of asparagus was cooked to perfection and our wait person Mary was wonderful she kept an eye on us while we watched the sunset and enjoyed the view.Special Features:
- LOVEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014This is where we had our wedding reception and we went back for our 5th anniversary. I love this place especially if you get outside seating!Special Features:
- Terrible servicewillDined on 9/25/2014We went for restaurant week and unfortunately it seems like since we chose from that menu the waiter decided he was not interested in us. Other tables that ordered off the main menu got their meals a long time before we did. Took over an hour to get our mealSpecial Features:
- Loved the patio great ocean view.BaseballladyDined on 9/24/2014Historical hotel with this lovely patio with great ocean view Great for lunch and yummy Bloody Mary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch buffetyupitsmeDined on 9/21/2014I usually HATE buffets, especially breakfast buffets - when we came here with our guests from China, I had hoped for a menu and lunch and our only option was the buffet because we were too early (10:45 AM) To my surprise, the breakfast items were better than I thought it would be - I thought it would just be overheated scrambled eggs, stale pastries, etc but the food items were tasty, fresh and flavorful. Something for everyone, even cheeses and salami, lox bagels, eggs benedict, really good pastries. I'd come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A shame how much this has changed.92118residentDined on 9/21/2014First to note, the prices have raised tremendously, this used to be a 19.99 buffet, with an added 5.00 charge for all you could drink mimosa's. Now, the cost of the buffet has increased to 32.00 and the mimosa's are 11.00 a piece. Quite the increase... On my most recent visit, I was sad to recognize just how much else had changed. There is no longer an omelet station and has been replaced by a series of warm dishes. They also used to have a wonderful homemade yogurt which has been replaced with pre-packaged chobani. The service was not particularly attentive and I felt rushed all morning. The view remains wonderful of course, but it is hardly the place it used to be, much like the rest of the island, it has taken a turn for the worst.Special Features:
- Scenic diningluvcoronadoDined on 9/20/2014The scenery was great. We were able to watch a wedding along with some hummingbirds on our dinner. The service could have been better as we waited for our drinks and our parking voucher was not validated as asked. The waitress did Apologize for waiting for our drinks and compensated us with a free dessert. Overall we enjoyed our dinner and would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shearwater..shear delightfinedinerDined on 9/20/2014Our waitress Sarah stands out in my review. Kind, attentive, professional, and fun! We went to shearwater to celebrate a friends 55th birthday. There were 8 of us. We had the breakfast buffet. 31.00 per person but the food was good. Fresh baked goods, fresh fruit, lots of hot items, and you could order custom omelettes also. The price was worth it for all the food that was available.Special Features:
- what a great place to have a mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I am so happy that my wife and I came to the Sheerwater! The staff was kind and prompt and our server Manolo was outstanding! Not only did his recommendations of the food prove to be spot on, but he made sure that our drinks were served to promptly. We had the oysters for our starter and they were absolutely amazing. The seared scallops in butter are my new fave. The burger and lobster Mac are to die for as well. When we left my wife had forgotten her license and Manolo remembered hearing us talking about meeting some friends at the b&s bar and came and found us! That is service over and beyond and I feel lucky to eat at an establishment that treats their patrons this special. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!chipDined on 9/13/2014We had a group of 8 and the food was very disappointing. The service was good but the food was not worth the money.Special Features: