Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado
1500 Orange Avenue
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hoteldel.com/
- Phone: 6195228490
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily for Breakfast 7:00am - 11:00am, Lunch 11:30am - 3:00pm and Dinner 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado
Sheerwater offers California coastal cuisine: regional specialties that emphasize bold flavor, tantalizing spices and seasonally inspired menus. Signature entrees are prepared in the exhibition oven. A special children's menu includes original takes on traditional childhood favorites. The bar offers signature margaritas, blended tropical drinks and California 's premier wines. Serving breakfast, lunch, cocktails, light fare and dinner daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado - Best Restaurants in Coronado ›
Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (144)scenic view (141)special occasion (79)romantic (63)great for lunch (60)great for brunch (58)kid-friendly (50)good for groups (46)fit for foodies (42)notable wine list (17)hot spot (15)neighborhood gem (13)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Great Views with great foodDinningDivaDined on 9/28/2014We had the lump crab appetizer - very plentiful and nicely presented. The Chilean Sea Bass was excellent and the side of asparagus was cooked to perfection and our wait person Mary was wonderful she kept an eye on us while we watched the sunset and enjoyed the view.Special Features:
- Terrible servicewillDined on 9/25/2014We went for restaurant week and unfortunately it seems like since we chose from that menu the waiter decided he was not interested in us. Other tables that ordered off the main menu got their meals a long time before we did. Took over an hour to get our mealSpecial Features:
- Loved the patio great ocean view.BaseballladyDined on 9/24/2014Historical hotel with this lovely patio with great ocean view Great for lunch and yummy Bloody Mary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch buffetyupitsmeDined on 9/21/2014I usually HATE buffets, especially breakfast buffets - when we came here with our guests from China, I had hoped for a menu and lunch and our only option was the buffet because we were too early (10:45 AM) To my surprise, the breakfast items were better than I thought it would be - I thought it would just be overheated scrambled eggs, stale pastries, etc but the food items were tasty, fresh and flavorful. Something for everyone, even cheeses and salami, lox bagels, eggs benedict, really good pastries. I'd come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A shame how much this has changed.92118residentDined on 9/21/2014First to note, the prices have raised tremendously, this used to be a 19.99 buffet, with an added 5.00 charge for all you could drink mimosa's. Now, the cost of the buffet has increased to 32.00 and the mimosa's are 11.00 a piece. Quite the increase... On my most recent visit, I was sad to recognize just how much else had changed. There is no longer an omelet station and has been replaced by a series of warm dishes. They also used to have a wonderful homemade yogurt which has been replaced with pre-packaged chobani. The service was not particularly attentive and I felt rushed all morning. The view remains wonderful of course, but it is hardly the place it used to be, much like the rest of the island, it has taken a turn for the worst.Special Features:
- Scenic diningluvcoronadoDined on 9/20/2014The scenery was great. We were able to watch a wedding along with some hummingbirds on our dinner. The service could have been better as we waited for our drinks and our parking voucher was not validated as asked. The waitress did Apologize for waiting for our drinks and compensated us with a free dessert. Overall we enjoyed our dinner and would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shearwater..shear delightfinedinerDined on 9/20/2014Our waitress Sarah stands out in my review. Kind, attentive, professional, and fun! We went to shearwater to celebrate a friends 55th birthday. There were 8 of us. We had the breakfast buffet. 31.00 per person but the food was good. Fresh baked goods, fresh fruit, lots of hot items, and you could order custom omelettes also. The price was worth it for all the food that was available.Special Features:
- what a great place to have a mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I am so happy that my wife and I came to the Sheerwater! The staff was kind and prompt and our server Manolo was outstanding! Not only did his recommendations of the food prove to be spot on, but he made sure that our drinks were served to promptly. We had the oysters for our starter and they were absolutely amazing. The seared scallops in butter are my new fave. The burger and lobster Mac are to die for as well. When we left my wife had forgotten her license and Manolo remembered hearing us talking about meeting some friends at the b&s bar and came and found us! That is service over and beyond and I feel lucky to eat at an establishment that treats their patrons this special. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!chipDined on 9/13/2014We had a group of 8 and the food was very disappointing. The service was good but the food was not worth the money.Special Features:
- Wonderful 17th birthday celebrationlove2travel1VIPDined on 9/13/2014My daughter celebrated her birthday with 8 of her friends here, while my husband and I had a quiet dinner at another table. Both our waiters went above and beyond to make sure my daughter and her friends, and my husband and I have a great time. The steak and fish dishes were great. The girls raved about the food and the service. Thank you so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good night outKarinDined on 9/11/2014Made a reservation for my husband's birthday. Special request: good view and outdoors. We found ourselves seated beautifully, overlooking the entire scenery. We received a friendly and attentive welcome, every member of staff dealing with us was informed about the occasion and congratulated my husband. Our waiter Dan and his team were extremely friendly and professional. The food itself was very well presented, arrived warm and in remarkable quality at our table - a miracle given the size of the place! We had Lobster Bisque and Clam Chowder filled by Filet Mignon and Diver Scallops. My husband's dessert was on the house - something we did not expect at all. Fantastic! If there's anything to criticize at all: no adequate light at the table.Special Features:
- Great BreakfastRaceGoerDined on 9/7/2014Got the Del Beach and Breakfast package, so got to enjoy breakfast here for 3 mornings. Great omelettes and eggs benedict! Wasn't too crazy about the chorizo hash. Biscuits looked like they were out of a can and not homemade, but the gravy was good. Overall very good place to have breakfast. The view is GREAT!!!Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014Wonderful atmosphere and great food. Would highly recommend eating here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Ribeye!spikeDined on 9/6/2014This is a great place to celebrate a special occasion on a nice evening. Sit outside if you can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood dining with a view.JoesCrabFanDined on 9/6/2014Oh what a view at sunset! We sat under the covered patio with a ceiling fan gently cooling us on a very warm day. Anthony, our waiter, was professional and attentive. I had the Chilean Sea Bass. My favorite fish that I have not seen on menus for some time. It was done perfectly. Cleaned my plate. Hubby had the choppiono. It was my second choice and glad he enjoyed it. It was flavorful, but would have been too spicy for me. I finished off with a warm chocolate bread pudding for dessert, which I inhaled. Great food with a great view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Your not coming here to save money. The food here is good, the drinks are great (no skimping on the liquer), and the views are spectacular. When you come here you are paying for the whole experience: great food, attentive service, and a fabulous view. Its not meant to be cheap and shouldn't be.Special Features:
- DisappointmentMelsDinerDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I thought we would revisit Hotel Del and relive our wedding day. After visiting and eating at Sheerwater, we were sadly disappointed. We did not experience one single smile or an encouraging greeting. Additionally, the food was no better than a chain restaurant-except the price. An incredible disappointment. We left feeling the same way the employees appeared-depressedSpecial Features:
- Outstanding experiencethesixofusDined on 8/31/2014Great food. Wait staff was very attentive. We had breakfast (5 days) lunch (2 days), dinner (2 days). loved the view. We would go again for sure. The breakfast buffet is outstanding, so many choices and they all taste wonderful. The fruit which we all had was so fresh and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful sunsets. Food ok.PDFlavorDined on 8/30/2014What else can I say? Its the Hotel Del. The location cannot be better, the service is great. The food is good but nothing out of the ordinary. Excellent place to bring out of towners!Special Features:
- Beautiful view, poor serviceKg1111Dined on 8/29/2014Our salads actually came wilted and the feta cheese on top had melted probably from waiting in the warm kitchen. Couldn't eat it. The waiter was nice but rarely saw him. The next day we had a buffet brunch and Erwin was a 5 star waiter. The food was delicious but it was a buffet so you didn't have to wait for a server. Come on hotel del....splurge and support this staff with more help! I think you could afford it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening.LeonardoDined on 8/29/2014We had a fabulous dinner and would definitely recommend this resterant. Our waiter was very good and the food was absolutely wonderful. The sea bass and lamb dinners were our favorites and the view was spectacular. If we had more time we would have made a trip back. After dinner we went to the Laugh Factory right in the hotel and saw Jon Lovitz preform. The evening turned out to be the most memorable of our entire trip in San Diego.Special Features:
- Great Place To End Our Vacation!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The service and food were amazing. Chef Jen is great and the waitress was so attentive and friendly. I highly recommend it! I loved the scallops and my friends had the short ribs. Don't miss the view of the ocean and sunset!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- milholland1Dined on 8/28/2014Awesome . We spend every Christmas Eve here. We love the food and the gift shops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulSuzanneVIPDined on 8/25/2014Great food in a fantastic atmosphere. Salads were hugo,main courses were small but exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedlovesongDined on 8/25/2014Food awesome; service from Manuel and others very attentive; Hostess very helpful in table selection; sunset and beach wonderfulSpecial Features:
- 440th Wedding Anniversary PartyBeachBunchDined on 8/24/2014We took our family of 10 here for brunch and had a wonderful time! Loved all the menu choices, enjoyed everything we ordered, great service, beautiful view - ~ would definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014The site has very scenic views. There was a wedding that obscured some of the view but we still enjoyed the bit of ocean we could see. Service was awful. Thank goodness our busboy was considerate. We were tempted to tip him instead of our server as she went to great lengths to ignore us. We waited 35-40 minutes for our entrees. Our food was lukewarm when we received it, and we assumed it had been sitting somewhere. The worst part is that we observed our server providing good service to the party next to us and we couldn't understand why she had decided to ignore us.Special Features:
- Divine Dining!FishyDined on 8/23/2014Our favorite place for a romantic, scenic dinner. Excellent service - Cody is the BEST! Food cannot be beat. Wine was divine! Highly recommend the Sheerwater Restaurant!Special Features:
- great locationbradman1622Dined on 8/22/2014Sheerwater is located on the western side of The Del overlooking the beach, gardens and headlands. a truly fabulous location. service was very good and attentive without being smothering. food was good (fish and chips, braised scallops) as were the drinks. only "issue" was the expense - very pricey for food and drink considering. obviously you pay extra for the location...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!mpbpDined on 8/21/2014We went to San Diego from Boston for our tenth anniversary and Sheerwater was recommended by a friend. The service was wonderful, they wished us a happy anniversary when we first arrived as I had mentioned it when I made reservations; it was a nice touch. The food was good- prepared the way we asked and so forth but since my husband manages a restaurant in the Boston area with similar cuisine, we agreed the food at his place was better in that it's more inventive and flavorful. I'm not sure die hard foodies would find it remarkable. However, the view was picturesque, the vibe was fun and the staff was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So very special!vbrasDined on 8/21/2014Sheerwater at the Del Coronado was such a great experience for a family birthday dinner. The staff is super attentive, the food fantastic and the view is one of a kind. There isn't much room for improvement...we LOVED our entire night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Look4ValueDined on 8/21/2014Seated immediately. Service and food very good. Fantastic view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cor1Dined on 8/19/2014I thought the prices were too high . I was there at lunch and had a delicious salad with different cherry tomatoes. But $10.50 for it was more than it was worth. The fish tacos had many different kinds of fish, I would have preferred a specific type of fish. It seemed like the chef used up pieces leftover from other dishes. No salsa along with it.Special Features:
- Wonderful ViewGreatniteoutDined on 8/17/2014We stayed at the Del Coronado and had a wonderful meal at the Sheerwater. Our waiter Armando was excellent and suggested all tasty and well made dishes. Everyone at our table was very happy with the food and the service and the view if the Pacific Ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingGreatVIPDined on 8/16/2014This was our second time here and the buffet was awesome. The variety, freshness and service were all great and the view was amazing. Definitely worth the price and experience.Special Features:
- Great night at The DelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Great food and great view. Gonzo playing guitar at the bar next door was a added treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- portable patio umbrellas needed!!!LeatherPanda858Dined on 8/15/2014The last time we were there (last July), the experience was excellent. This time around, it's different. When we arrived, there were no patio umbrellas near our table. All we have were the shades from other tables' umbrellas so it was really hot (remember this is still summertime). But there were no servers around so I started opening up unused patio umbrellas to move to our tables (BUT they are heavy!!!). Finally the servers arrive to help us but the area is blocked by the chairs and tables so its hard to move the unused umbrellas and we have to settle for the existing ones. We have to endure the direct sunlight. If the tables only have holes in the center, they can easily accommodate an umbrella.Special Features:
- Below average.dinetryersDined on 8/14/2014We were very excited to eat at this location as it's right near the water with a great view. Our server took VERY long to come back and ask if we were ready to order, the food was extremely over priced, which we assumed on this property, but for the flavour of our food and portion size we WAY over paid. the clam 11 dollar clam chowder we ordered was the best thing, and it wasn't that good. very disappointed.Special Features:
- LuvinSoCalDined on 8/13/2014Excellent food, excellent service. I would definitely host my next dinner here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaybekennyDined on 8/13/2014Do not leave home without a res for this restaurant in the summer months 1hr to 1 1/2 hr wait time and loaded with impolite people from the 4 corners of the world go in sept to may period, we made the mistake only because we had business to take care of. go to the diner down the street on orange across from the navy seal shoppe worth the wait and better food with great service and it does not cost a arm or legSpecial Features: