Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado
1500 Orange Avenue
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hoteldel.com/
- Phone: 6195228490
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily for Breakfast 7:00am - 11:00am, Lunch 11:30am - 3:00pm and Dinner 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado
Sheerwater offers California coastal cuisine: regional specialties that emphasize bold flavor, tantalizing spices and seasonally inspired menus. Signature entrees are prepared in the exhibition oven. A special children's menu includes original takes on traditional childhood favorites. The bar offers signature margaritas, blended tropical drinks and California 's premier wines. Serving breakfast, lunch, cocktails, light fare and dinner daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado - Best Restaurants in Coronado ›
Sheerwater Restaurant at the Hotel Del Coronado reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (144)scenic view (144)special occasion (82)great for lunch (71)great for brunch (66)romantic (59)kid-friendly (48)good for groups (46)fit for foodies (36)neighborhood gem (15)notable wine list (14)hot spot (13)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- WonderfulSuzanneVIPDined on 8/25/2014Great food in a fantastic atmosphere. Salads were hugo,main courses were small but exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Food awesome; service from Manuel and others very attentive; Hostess very helpful in table selection; sunset and beach wonderfulSpecial Features:
- 440th Wedding Anniversary PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014We took our family of 10 here for brunch and had a wonderful time! Loved all the menu choices, enjoyed everything we ordered, great service, beautiful view - ~ would definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014The site has very scenic views. There was a wedding that obscured some of the view but we still enjoyed the bit of ocean we could see. Service was awful. Thank goodness our busboy was considerate. We were tempted to tip him instead of our server as she went to great lengths to ignore us. We waited 35-40 minutes for our entrees. Our food was lukewarm when we received it, and we assumed it had been sitting somewhere. The worst part is that we observed our server providing good service to the party next to us and we couldn't understand why she had decided to ignore us.Special Features:
- Divine Dining!FishyDined on 8/23/2014Our favorite place for a romantic, scenic dinner. Excellent service - Cody is the BEST! Food cannot be beat. Wine was divine! Highly recommend the Sheerwater Restaurant!Special Features:
- great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Sheerwater is located on the western side of The Del overlooking the beach, gardens and headlands. a truly fabulous location. service was very good and attentive without being smothering. food was good (fish and chips, braised scallops) as were the drinks. only "issue" was the expense - very pricey for food and drink considering. obviously you pay extra for the location...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!mpbpDined on 8/21/2014We went to San Diego from Boston for our tenth anniversary and Sheerwater was recommended by a friend. The service was wonderful, they wished us a happy anniversary when we first arrived as I had mentioned it when I made reservations; it was a nice touch. The food was good- prepared the way we asked and so forth but since my husband manages a restaurant in the Boston area with similar cuisine, we agreed the food at his place was better in that it's more inventive and flavorful. I'm not sure die hard foodies would find it remarkable. However, the view was picturesque, the vibe was fun and the staff was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So very special!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Sheerwater at the Del Coronado was such a great experience for a family birthday dinner. The staff is super attentive, the food fantastic and the view is one of a kind. There isn't much room for improvement...we LOVED our entire night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Look4ValueDined on 8/21/2014Seated immediately. Service and food very good. Fantastic view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cor1Dined on 8/19/2014I thought the prices were too high . I was there at lunch and had a delicious salad with different cherry tomatoes. But $10.50 for it was more than it was worth. The fish tacos had many different kinds of fish, I would have preferred a specific type of fish. It seemed like the chef used up pieces leftover from other dishes. No salsa along with it.Special Features:
- Wonderful ViewGreatniteoutDined on 8/17/2014We stayed at the Del Coronado and had a wonderful meal at the Sheerwater. Our waiter Armando was excellent and suggested all tasty and well made dishes. Everyone at our table was very happy with the food and the service and the view if the Pacific Ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingGreatVIPDined on 8/16/2014This was our second time here and the buffet was awesome. The variety, freshness and service were all great and the view was amazing. Definitely worth the price and experience.Special Features:
- Great night at The DelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Great food and great view. Gonzo playing guitar at the bar next door was a added treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- portable patio umbrellas needed!!!LeatherPanda858Dined on 8/15/2014The last time we were there (last July), the experience was excellent. This time around, it's different. When we arrived, there were no patio umbrellas near our table. All we have were the shades from other tables' umbrellas so it was really hot (remember this is still summertime). But there were no servers around so I started opening up unused patio umbrellas to move to our tables (BUT they are heavy!!!). Finally the servers arrive to help us but the area is blocked by the chairs and tables so its hard to move the unused umbrellas and we have to settle for the existing ones. We have to endure the direct sunlight. If the tables only have holes in the center, they can easily accommodate an umbrella.Special Features:
- Below average.dinetryersDined on 8/14/2014We were very excited to eat at this location as it's right near the water with a great view. Our server took VERY long to come back and ask if we were ready to order, the food was extremely over priced, which we assumed on this property, but for the flavour of our food and portion size we WAY over paid. the clam 11 dollar clam chowder we ordered was the best thing, and it wasn't that good. very disappointed.Special Features:
- LuvinSoCalDined on 8/13/2014Excellent food, excellent service. I would definitely host my next dinner here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaybekennyDined on 8/13/2014Do not leave home without a res for this restaurant in the summer months 1hr to 1 1/2 hr wait time and loaded with impolite people from the 4 corners of the world go in sept to may period, we made the mistake only because we had business to take care of. go to the diner down the street on orange across from the navy seal shoppe worth the wait and better food with great service and it does not cost a arm or legSpecial Features:
- Dining at SheerwaterKikiVIPDined on 8/11/2014The restaurant is good, the service was better than we'd experienced there before, the food is overpriced (as at many restaurants located in hotels), but the view of the beach and the ocean is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with a sunsetbluedogVIPDined on 8/10/2014The hotel is an amazing landmark and really should be seen. The food at shearwater is excellent They do seem to cater to families during peak seasonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a favorite!April72VIPDined on 8/10/2014Love to take house guests and or meet friends for lunch at this restaurant! The Cioppino is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant lunchBrenDined on 8/10/2014We celebrated my mother's 75th birthday here on a Sunday afternoon. We were sat at a roomy table at the far end of the patio with complete privacy and quiet. The food was good, but the ambience and the impecccable service is what made the lunch so special. My mom was brought a special birthday dessert with three different kinds of cheesecake. She was delighted, and it was the perfect end to a beautiful celebration lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional friendly serviceMonaDined on 8/8/2014We dined here for our 22nd wedding anniversary while vacationing in San Diego. The ocean views were nice although somewhat distant across the patio, grounds and beach. We knew the place would have lots of kids and families and would be rather loud (and not the most romantic setting) but we were okay with that. The service team was terrific, arrived quickly and were superb, courteous and super friendly. We loved the menu variety and the wine list was first rate (We bought a bottle of Justin Cabernet which is simply perfection). The lobster bisque was delicious. Sheerwater is great place to dine outside and enjoy the amazingly beautiful San Diego weather!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable afternoonPartyof14Dined on 8/6/2014We celebrated my father's bday at Sheerwater restaurant. The view was spectacular, the food was delicious, and our waitress Kecia Sp? made the day. She took care of a party of 14 with a smile despite all our request. The only downfall was valet parking was $50 after validation. That is ridiculous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A slice of heaven by the sea.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/4/2014We have been here five times in the last year and looking forward to our return in September. Food is very good and service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You don't need to spend a lot!FoodieCTDined on 8/3/2014We couldn't get in to "1500" so this was our next option, and it was lovely!! We dined as the sun set on very fresh fish with really attentive waitstaff and it was about half the price of the "fancy" place. And you can wear your shorts! Brilliant!Special Features:
- navyblueDined on 8/3/2014It was a good experience. The food was good and the service was good. Would recommend this to anyone going to Coranado. The hotel was great and the property was gorgeousSpecial Features:
- PerfecthppytmDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed a dinner and the buffet breakfast. The buffet was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CDIIVIPDined on 7/31/2014Their signature goat cheese appetizer is amazing as were the drinks; had the old fashioned-best one I've ever had. The diver scallops we ordered for the main course were a bit salty, not much flavor. While the food was good, the service was spotty. The hostess seated us under the awning when there clearly were open spots in the uncovered patio closer the the ocean. We asked to be moved which they accommodated. Our server was very nice and attentive in the beginning, but as the restaurant became busy and after the food was served our server was overwhelmed and didn't come back to our table for a long while. If it weren't for the ambiance and scenery the wait would have worse. Will give it a second chance when I come back to the hotel.Special Features:
- View was a disappointment.AlbertaBoundDined on 7/29/2014We booked for a lovely dinner with our family for our last night in Coronado but when we arrived for dinner we were so disappointed to see that the view was obstructed by a party set up on the lawn. We had hoped for a sunset dinner. Wish we knew ahead of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jwfoDined on 7/29/2014Have been coming to San Diego for many years. We decided to come to Sheerwater for lunch to celebrate my Wife's birthday. The food was good. Not so sure it was worth the price. We were seated outside on the porch overlooking the water. However our table was behind a metal grate that blocked the view. A patron a few tables down from us, obviously had a few too many drinks, was conversing with people at another table by yelling the whole time we were there. Another couple who had been sitting by him got up and changed tables. The service was slow. In most places the server would anticipate your needs. We had to ask for boxes to take leftover food home. We also had to ask for the bill after sitting there for ten to fifteen minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last-minute find!LeatherPanda858Dined on 7/27/2014I made the on-line reservation 2 hrs before leaving the houseand wasn't expecting much. We were seated right on time and got the outside table with a direct view of the waters! (no table in front of us) Melissa was excellent and very gracious as she patiently described Sheerwater Restaurant even tough it was just a buffet brunch. But it wasn't JUST a brunch. The variety was amazing, a lot of pastry choices, fruits and main course! There was a point when we have to wait for about 2 minutes for new china at the buffet but nothing to be upset about. And the pricing was very reasonable considering that it is part of historic Hotel del Coronado.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Evening at The SheerwaterMikeDDined on 7/24/2014My evening at your restaurant was a highpoint of a much-needed and long anticipated vacation. Kudos to your waitstaff (forgive my poor memory. I should have written down the names) and chefs for making it such a treat. It's always a delight to eat at the Sheerwater and visit the Hotel Del.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something AmissBuzzwordVIPDined on 7/23/2014Have been to Sheerwater many times and have always had a great experience. The ocean view, the service and the food are consistently excellent...except this time. The service and view remain outstanding, but lunch was disappointing. Three out of five in our party ordered the "Crab BLT" and all three found the meal almost inedible. As one friend put it, "The sandwich would have been much better if they had left that nasty crabmeat out of it." I will most certainly be back, but will warn everyone about this sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch BuffetFluffyDined on 7/21/2014Excellent buffet. We went on a Monday morning and it was still very busy. We had made a reservation which made a big difference in how fast we got a table. It was a bit pricey but well worth it. The food was excellent with a big variety. Beautiful view. The staff was friendly and very helpful. I would recommend this brunch buffet to anyone that is going to be in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annual family luncheonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Our experience has been wonderful the past two years with our large family occasion. The snacks for the children are healthy and great to hold them over as the adults order appetizers and drinks. The food is wonderful and the service has always been exceptional. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!Aggie04Dined on 7/12/2014Very delicious meal and great choices if you want something quick for dinner and you want to experience the Cornado HotelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the locationnotlobDined on 7/10/2014Great location ; i always feel like i'm on holiday. Quality of food and value not as good as it has been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Buffet BrunchninaDined on 7/10/2014The food is OUTSTANDING! and the ocean view is amazing. The buffet has an incredible assortment of items and beautiful and clean presentation. I loved the egg white veggie frittata and the chorizo hash browns. They even separate the crispy bacon (my preferred) from the less cooked. One of the best breakfast's I've had at a resort in a long time. Thank you!Special Features:
- Horrible service!MalibumanVIPDined on 7/7/2014When we we're seated our waiter came over and started telling us about his two daughters and things we had in common with them. We were not interested and tried to let the waiter know this. We placed orders for appetizers and four entries.We finished the appetizers and then we waited and waited. It was at least twenty minutes until two other entrees came out. Nothing was said about the delay. Then the waiter told the person who did not get an entree that it would be out in a few minutes because "it was being made fresh" for him. So now after half an hour we did not have all our entrees and we were all upset. Our waiter was no where to be found. It all just ruined the evening. There was no excuse for what happened.
- Overcrowded brunch!LakeviewdinersDined on 7/6/2014The wait staff seemed to be overwhelmed with the amount of people at the restaurant for a Sunday brunch, and it wasn't even completely full. Many of the food displays were not filled timely for things like the smoked salmon or the eggs benedict. Our particular waiter seemed to be a bit distracted (not sure why). we picked up our own dishes many times. the best part about the trip was the fact that we walked out to the beach with our three year old who had a blast playing in the surf. The brunch was the least impressive part of the trip to Coronado.