Shebeen Pub and Braai
247 Ridge McIntire Rd
Charlottesville, VA 22903Neighborhood:
South AfricanPrice: $30 and under
Shebeen Pub and Braai
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shebeen.com/
- Phone: 4342963185
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: South African
- Executive Chef: Walter Slawski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Shebeen Pub and Braai
Discover Africa at Shebeen. South African Inspired Cuisine in Downtown Charlottesville. Not the illicit beer hall of South African townships, our Shebeen, styled after the Cape wineries, offers unique food in an engaging setting. Presented with peerless South African hospitality, our menu reflects the multiculturalism of the Southern African palate. From spicy African peri-peri sauce and Dutch farmer"s Boer sausage to pub-style fish 'n chips, you will explore a cuisine of surprising diversity. Allow us to host your next dinner party, or simply meet your mates in the pub for a pint. In the warmer months, enjoy a traditional verandah luncheon on our expansive garden patio, or sun down under the summer sky with a bottle of acclaimed S.A. wine. A country of wonderful people, breathtaking landscapes, masterful wines and surprising cuisines, South Africa truly is a destination. Make The Shebeen your next. Cheers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Shebeen Pub and Braai - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Shebeen Pub and Braai reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)good for groups (12)neighborhood gem (11)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (6)special occasion (5)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OutandaboutOutandaboutDined on 10/16/2014Visited Shebeen for a Boss's Day lunch with a party of four. It was a grand occasion. Food and service was perfect. We all enjoyed the lunch and ended up being there for 2 hours. My fellow workers were visiting Shebeen for the first time and thanked me for introducing them to the restaurant. It became a favorite for them. I am a regular and this is precisely why I am.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014My husband and I spend some time in South Africa and loved the food. Shebeen's food is wonderful. We had a party of 8 and everyone enjoyed their meal. The service was terrific! Highly recommend Shebeen!Special Features:
- Spicy HotpmrthirdVIPDined on 9/16/2014Been here before and love their peri peri wings. They are prepared crispy but have a kick with the dry spice. Also shared the mussels as well....also fantastic. I ordered the peri peri shrimp for a change. Don't like grits but they had cheesy grits for side and everything was great and worth trying. If I had to pick on one thing, tonight's bartender started off slow (didn't seem to me tentative to us) but she did pick up and was very polite and provided great service rest of the dinner. I look forward to coming back. Discount bottle of wine night on Tuesdays too. I enjoyed the house wine for $4 instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go out of your wayTime2teeDined on 9/10/2014Sheebans was a tremendous disappointment !! The food was over-salted, over-spiced and over-cooked. None of us ( 7 total ) finished our meals except the one that got a salad. We have been to Africa and eaten and enjoyed a wide variety oF dishes in many different returants, including some of those we tried at Sheebans. Sheeban's food wasn't even close. All the cooked dishes had too much salt -particularly the Shepard's Pie. The lamb Pot Porie (spelling ??) was LOADED with curry - to the point of almost being ineatable. All in all --- not a good evening !!Special Features:
- casual dinnerDiner14Dined on 9/4/2014Shebeen is good for a casual dinner out. The menu has some unique items as well as some standard fare. Service is prompt and friendly and they can help with menu selections (what is spicy, etc.) Reasonable wine and beer selection as well. Noise can be an issue. One loud patron can be heard throughout the restaurant, whether they be in the bar or in the dining room.
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014very good until end of meal waitress disappeared and couldnt get a second beverage other than that waitress was excellentSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent food. Be careful wings are very hot!!! Interesting menu choices.Special Features:
- Great ethnic fooddiscerningdinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Was intrigued with South African cuisine so we took a chance here. Wow what a find. We shared an appetizer mixed plate, samosa, wings, stuffed mushroom and satay. Be forewarned the wings are HOT!!! Nonetheless yummy. My son had fish and chips, liked them very much, fries were outstanding. I had a lamb curry dish - an interesting but delicious combo of flavors and very generous portions. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Good Atmosphere, Tasty FoodICEHOODined on 7/23/2014Our party of 8 included 3 generations, one which was a 3-year-old. We came from all over the US, but we shared an interest in exploring variety. We all enjoyed Shebeen's excellent starters and tasty main courses. Every offering was nicely spiced and well balanced. Nothing was bland or overwhelming. The good food was fitting for the warm, ambient atmosphere. It was a great meal!Special Features:
- DissapointingMandelaDined on 7/22/2014It was so much noise, that we couldn't hear each other or the waiters; everybody was seated beside each other even the restaurant had plenty of tables available. If you would like me to come back, you should have choose better dishes. Not impressed at alll, i even couldn't take the chance tovfinish it.Special Features:
- Would returnOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/22/2014Interesting flavors in a very loud restaurant. Yet I would return.Special Features:
- Durban Spice Chicken - yum!aincvilleDined on 7/21/2014This restaurant was a great place to meet up with friends, have a glass of wine and a great dinner. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not go during Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Lots of quality control problems...I would not recommend going during Restaurant Week. Staff clearly couldn't handle it. Served us 2nd course before the first after waiting almost an hr for the food. Waitress avoided us for rest of night like she was scared of how we might react - even though we just wanted to know that no one forgot about us...Special Features:
- Good Food. Poor Service.Quincy10Dined on 7/19/2014Atmosphere was great. Our 3-course meal was very good too ... when we finally got it. Not only was the service glacially slow, but the server (not waiter) knocked over red wine on my husband's new chinos. He spent 20. mins. in the men's room washing it off, then sat in wet pants for the rest of our meal. All we got was a few "sorrys" from the server. When the check came, there was no compensation for the error. My husband told the waiter what had happened & asked what the restaurant's policy was on these kinds of things. He didn't know but took the check back. Minutes later a woman came back and silently handed us the check again, with our wines removed. This was the poorest service recovery we've experienced in a long time. Buyer Beware!Special Features:
- Mixed experience.JimDDined on 7/7/2014We enjoy going to the Shabeen on special occassions. We truly love the South African atmopshere of the restaurant. We were a little disapponted in the main dishes this time. Typically, the food is excellent. The appetizers and bread were great though.Special Features:
- Nice changeTom66FDined on 7/5/2014We have been to Shebeen several time but it's location from us (25 miles) does not bring to the top of the list for last minute choice. Decided to go out for dinner in late afternoon but all the "local" choices were not appealling, and the chains at Stonefield menus were pedestrian. Called up Shebeen menu online and decided it was time for a return visit. Reservation was no problem, noise level was in part to World Cup (Netherlands v. Costa Rico). Food was excellent. Will keep it in mind for future outingsSpecial Features:
- The following 49 reviews are from the Shebeen Pub and Braai reviews archive.
- Good Food, Terrible ServiceFeedMeGoodFoodDined on 6/15/2014We had a reservation, and waited to be seated for 10 minutes. It's not just that we waited, but there was literally no hostess at the hostess table. When we got outside, it took a solid 15 minutes for our waitress to show up, and she was aloof thereafter. We weren't the only ones. The other tables were confused and waiting too. If the food wasn't as good as it was then I would erase this place from my memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World Cup FinalsEattoliveDined on 6/14/2014The restaurant was crowded and very noisy due to the FIFA World Cup finals match between England and Italy. Too noisy to have a conversation. After the match was over the restaurant cleared out quickly and you could hear your companions. Wait until after the game if IOU want to talk. The food was good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service too slow!FishfreakDined on 6/6/2014We went on a Friday night as a group of 9. The restaurant was full and noisy. 7 people in our group loved the food but several were disappointed. It took a long time to get drinks and refills. I ordered fish and chips and the fish batter was not crispy and the chips (fries) arrived cold. We had waited almost two hours for our entrees, and I felt that mine had been held too long before serving. However, our appetizer, the curry corn chowder was very good.Special Features:
- Great, as alwaystablefor2Dined on 5/16/2014Although the brinjal fries were a tad greasy, the Shebeen was great as always. Large portions and nice vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Disappointed...FoxyLadyDined on 5/11/2014I was really looking forward to this and overall the food was good. However, as others have mentioned space is VERY limited. Tables are too close together and it's hard to move between them for both clients and staff. A waitress serving the table behind me hit me with her elbow! We were seated at the entrance/exit to the restrooms and had to endure a lot of traffic during our meal. I really regret not asking to be reseated elsewhere. I love lamb, but was not asked how well I would like it cooked and consequently it was too rare! As I was not paying for the meal myself, I did not feel it would be polite to be complaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FOH Attention SuggestedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2014This was my first visit. The food was outstanding! However, the staff seemed unsettled. The bartender was overwhelmed. Things just seemed disorganized, with servers each appearing to have stations indoors and outdoors. It was too much for them to handle. A little FOH management attention to server station size and bartender work load would have greatly improved the overall experience.Special Features:
- Service apologetic & slowOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2014Servers were confused about who was doing what, apologized but there was no improvement, and one server spilled something when delivering main course. The quality of food was much better than the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lite FareEattoliveDined on 4/24/2014The menu is comprehensive and you can really eat a hearty meal; however, if, like us, you desire something lighter you can combine an appetizer to share (satay) with a salad (jovie de vivre) and have a delicious meal that's just enough! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter brunchMaggieDined on 4/20/2014We went for Easter brunch. The food was great. I had the eggs Chesapeake and the flavored mixed really well. Would defiantly go again for brunch. We were early so it wasn't very busy yet. All in all a great place for brunch.Special Features:
- Thanks for the special evening!jjjjiDined on 4/19/2014Our server went out of her way to make our special girls night out memorable. YUM!!! Thank you so much!Special Features:
- saturday visitwaa1944Dined on 4/12/2014helpful and courteous service, food presentation excellant and tasty, a bit noisy as the place filled up and the evening progressed - a very enjoyable evening overallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peri-Peri Spice abound!!!pmrthirdVIPDined on 4/7/2014What a great place to eat while away on business. The bar was packed with many locals. The house Shiraz wine from South Africa is great!!!! Enjoyed the peri-peri wings (not as spicy as I recalled the last time but still good). Also, tried the mussels that where cooked to perfection in a cream sauce that had NE Clam Chowder taste....excellent! Look forward to coming back and trying more items on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic South African Cuisinedeep2seeDined on 4/5/2014Perfect Ambiance. Terrific Food. Impeccable service. We felt we were back in the bush. We can't wait to go back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Great ExperienceFunNightDined on 3/29/2014They have a full bar, great food, great ambiance... My date was definitely impressed that night. It was lively but not so loud that we couldn't still have a great conversation and enjoy a couple cocktails. Service was great and had we stayed longer we would have enjoyed Salsa night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my first visit andOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/24/2014This was my first visit and I loved it. Our server, Leah, was wonderfully knowledgeable about the menu and Sheheen. Great smile and always there but never hovered. The coconut corn chowder is yummy as was the fried mozzarella cheese. We'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Introduced my friends on a day tripHappyEaterDined on 3/22/2014Sooo good. My usually picky girlfriends never complained. Not even once. Our server, Jenna, was stellar. Incredibly personable and dripping authentic southern charm, she raved about her favorite dishes and did not lead us astray. Our food was so wonderful, I've ordered take out from Shebeen for my next book club meeting with these friends, and I love to cook. Can't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodRSW1Dined on 2/28/2014This was my first time there for lunch and the food was just terrific. The sweet potato soup was off the charts - I could have ordered more and just had that for lunch. The steak ciabatta was also excellent though perhaps more than I needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dining experiencesocialVegDined on 2/14/2014This restaurant has a little bit of selection for vegetarians - enough for me. I had a very nice black bean soup, and the groundnut stew. Beer selection was just right for me - not too complicated - good mix of draught beers. Very cool decorating - quite unique.
- Excellent Lamb Shank & Grits!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/11/2014I love this place! Excellent variety and extensive menu for meat and veggie lovers alike. The special Peri-Peri chicken has an extremely hot sauce - beware - ask for a taste first. The lamb shank falls off the bone, and the grits are phenomenal (not breakfast grits). I put child friendly because it has a verbal child menu, however, the Mac and cheese is in a puff pastry that is more geared towards adults than non-adventurous kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great C'ville RestaurantMiami09Dined on 2/11/2014If you are looking for a different restaurant atmosphere, delicious one of a kind entrees, and a quiet & romantic dining area, then the Shebeen Pub and Braai is great restaurant to explore. The wine selections are great especially the sweet, white wines. There is an enough sitting where you are not over top of everyone and the mood lighting is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South African GemTeddDined on 1/31/2014Exotic dishes with delicious spice combinations. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2014One of, if not my absolute favorite among the MANY restaurants in Charlottesville. Great for nice date, meeting friends, or a moderately sized group. I've been here just my wife and I all the way to 8-9 people. Excellent cocktail menu, lots of fun things to try. I'm not a wine expert, but the wine list seems good too. The ambiance of the restaurant is really fun and unique. It really brings South Africa to you. The food is delightfully unique and I have never been less than thrilled with a selection. The service is impeccable. From calling ahead to picking up a check, I have always felt cared for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the AtmosphereKevinDined on 1/27/2014I loved the atmosphere with all their candles and slightly dim setting. Also the food was fantastic. What more could you want?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicioustboneDined on 1/27/2014we went during Restaurant Week which isn't always the best time but it was a great price and chance to try it again, having been only once a few years earlier, before we lived here. They offered us the Restaurant Week menu or the regular menu; we chose the Restaurant Week and were not at all disappointed. We each tried different items. All were delicious, good-sized portions, well prepared and very flavorful. Wonderful sauces and reductions. The shrimp crispies appetizer was so good- light, tempura batter with a kick. Coconut milk corn soup also a big hit. The lamb was also particularly tender and flavorful. A great meal all around. Pleasant young server, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.