Shebeen Pub and Braai
247 Ridge McIntire Rd
Charlottesville, VA 22903Neighborhood:
South AfricanPrice: $30 and under
Shebeen Pub and Braai
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shebeen.com/
- Phone: (434) 296-3185
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: South African
- Executive Chef: Walter Slawski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Shebeen Pub and Braai
Discover Africa at Shebeen. South African Inspired Cuisine in Downtown Charlottesville. Not the illicit beer hall of South African townships, our Shebeen, styled after the Cape wineries, offers unique food in an engaging setting. Presented with peerless South African hospitality, our menu reflects the multiculturalism of the Southern African palate. From spicy African peri-peri sauce and Dutch farmer"s Boer sausage to pub-style fish 'n chips, you will explore a cuisine of surprising diversity. Allow us to host your next dinner party, or simply meet your mates in the pub for a pint. In the warmer months, enjoy a traditional verandah luncheon on our expansive garden patio, or sun down under the summer sky with a bottle of acclaimed S.A. wine. A country of wonderful people, breathtaking landscapes, masterful wines and surprising cuisines, South Africa truly is a destination. Make The Shebeen your next. Cheers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shebeen Pub and Braai reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (7)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)romantic (4)special occasion (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- A taste of South AfricaDrive2EatDined on 10/25/2014Delicious food and great service. Very enjoyable meal with hearty portions that can be split if you are wanting a lighter meal with a shared appetizer, entree and dessert. This may be on the pricey side for some with the average cost of an entree being between $20-25 and up to $29 but as low as $14. The only disappointment was the seating for us. Most of the seating is traditional booths or tables, however one section is a shared bench with small 2 seat tables and a chair opposite. The bench was not comfortable and for a higher end restaurant, this is even more disappointing and very much avoidable by using simple chairs instead of a piece of decor for seating.Special Features:
- Amazing Food with an SA twistLuv2travelVIPDined on 10/25/2014We have been back several times since we discovered the Shebeen Pub and Braai. The dishes are prepared to perfection and the South African twist on each dish makes it come alive with flavor. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's the rush?HaroldDined on 10/24/2014This place was too fast to be enjoyable. Calamari out in less than 5 min. Salads out in less than 2 min. Entrees delivered while STILL eating salads. Waiter dumped drink on floor and wife's boots. No one ever came to clean up the sticky mess on floor under table. Still trying to get the stains off her boots. Not like they were busy and needed the tables, not sure why they wanted us out so soon. The food was very good however, I just wish we had more time to enjoy it. I may go back, but I will be ordering one course at a time when I do.Special Features:
- Attentive service & good foodSeymourVIPDined on 10/24/2014Everyone enjoyed their meals and the service was quick and friendly. They had zero issues with my two granddaughters who also enjoyed their food. Decent bang for the buck.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2014Been here many times. Food not as good as previous times.
- Outstanding foodLAN62Dined on 10/16/2014This restaurant is superb. We went as a group and everybody was extremely pleased with their meals, from lamb to vegetarian. The dessert samosas are to die for. Their mixed drinks are fantastic. The service was attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- OutandaboutOutandaboutDined on 10/16/2014Visited Shebeen for a Boss's Day lunch with a party of four. It was a grand occasion. Food and service was perfect. We all enjoyed the lunch and ended up being there for 2 hours. My fellow workers were visiting Shebeen for the first time and thanked me for introducing them to the restaurant. It became a favorite for them. I am a regular and this is precisely why I am.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014My husband and I spend some time in South Africa and loved the food. Shebeen's food is wonderful. We had a party of 8 and everyone enjoyed their meal. The service was terrific! Highly recommend Shebeen!Special Features:
- Spicy HotpmrthirdVIPDined on 9/16/2014Been here before and love their peri peri wings. They are prepared crispy but have a kick with the dry spice. Also shared the mussels as well....also fantastic. I ordered the peri peri shrimp for a change. Don't like grits but they had cheesy grits for side and everything was great and worth trying. If I had to pick on one thing, tonight's bartender started off slow (didn't seem to me tentative to us) but she did pick up and was very polite and provided great service rest of the dinner. I look forward to coming back. Discount bottle of wine night on Tuesdays too. I enjoyed the house wine for $4 instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go out of your wayTime2teeDined on 9/10/2014Sheebans was a tremendous disappointment !! The food was over-salted, over-spiced and over-cooked. None of us ( 7 total ) finished our meals except the one that got a salad. We have been to Africa and eaten and enjoyed a wide variety oF dishes in many different returants, including some of those we tried at Sheebans. Sheeban's food wasn't even close. All the cooked dishes had too much salt -particularly the Shepard's Pie. The lamb Pot Porie (spelling ??) was LOADED with curry - to the point of almost being ineatable. All in all --- not a good evening !!Special Features:
- casual dinnerDiner14Dined on 9/4/2014Shebeen is good for a casual dinner out. The menu has some unique items as well as some standard fare. Service is prompt and friendly and they can help with menu selections (what is spicy, etc.) Reasonable wine and beer selection as well. Noise can be an issue. One loud patron can be heard throughout the restaurant, whether they be in the bar or in the dining room.
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014very good until end of meal waitress disappeared and couldnt get a second beverage other than that waitress was excellentSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent food. Be careful wings are very hot!!! Interesting menu choices.Special Features:
- Great ethnic fooddiscerningdinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Was intrigued with South African cuisine so we took a chance here. Wow what a find. We shared an appetizer mixed plate, samosa, wings, stuffed mushroom and satay. Be forewarned the wings are HOT!!! Nonetheless yummy. My son had fish and chips, liked them very much, fries were outstanding. I had a lamb curry dish - an interesting but delicious combo of flavors and very generous portions. We will be backSpecial Features:
- The following 57 reviews are from the Shebeen Pub and Braai reviews archive.
- Good Atmosphere, Tasty FoodICEHOODined on 7/23/2014Our party of 8 included 3 generations, one which was a 3-year-old. We came from all over the US, but we shared an interest in exploring variety. We all enjoyed Shebeen's excellent starters and tasty main courses. Every offering was nicely spiced and well balanced. Nothing was bland or overwhelming. The good food was fitting for the warm, ambient atmosphere. It was a great meal!Special Features:
- DissapointingMandelaDined on 7/22/2014It was so much noise, that we couldn't hear each other or the waiters; everybody was seated beside each other even the restaurant had plenty of tables available. If you would like me to come back, you should have choose better dishes. Not impressed at alll, i even couldn't take the chance tovfinish it.Special Features:
- Would returnOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/22/2014Interesting flavors in a very loud restaurant. Yet I would return.Special Features:
- Durban Spice Chicken - yum!aincvilleDined on 7/21/2014This restaurant was a great place to meet up with friends, have a glass of wine and a great dinner. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not go during Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Lots of quality control problems...I would not recommend going during Restaurant Week. Staff clearly couldn't handle it. Served us 2nd course before the first after waiting almost an hr for the food. Waitress avoided us for rest of night like she was scared of how we might react - even though we just wanted to know that no one forgot about us...Special Features:
- Good Food. Poor Service.Quincy10Dined on 7/19/2014Atmosphere was great. Our 3-course meal was very good too ... when we finally got it. Not only was the service glacially slow, but the server (not waiter) knocked over red wine on my husband's new chinos. He spent 20. mins. in the men's room washing it off, then sat in wet pants for the rest of our meal. All we got was a few "sorrys" from the server. When the check came, there was no compensation for the error. My husband told the waiter what had happened & asked what the restaurant's policy was on these kinds of things. He didn't know but took the check back. Minutes later a woman came back and silently handed us the check again, with our wines removed. This was the poorest service recovery we've experienced in a long time. Buyer Beware!Special Features:
- Mixed experience.JimDDined on 7/7/2014We enjoy going to the Shabeen on special occassions. We truly love the South African atmopshere of the restaurant. We were a little disapponted in the main dishes this time. Typically, the food is excellent. The appetizers and bread were great though.Special Features:
- Nice changeTom66FDined on 7/5/2014We have been to Shebeen several time but it's location from us (25 miles) does not bring to the top of the list for last minute choice. Decided to go out for dinner in late afternoon but all the "local" choices were not appealling, and the chains at Stonefield menus were pedestrian. Called up Shebeen menu online and decided it was time for a return visit. Reservation was no problem, noise level was in part to World Cup (Netherlands v. Costa Rico). Food was excellent. Will keep it in mind for future outingsSpecial Features:
- Good Food, Terrible ServiceFeedMeGoodFoodDined on 6/15/2014We had a reservation, and waited to be seated for 10 minutes. It's not just that we waited, but there was literally no hostess at the hostess table. When we got outside, it took a solid 15 minutes for our waitress to show up, and she was aloof thereafter. We weren't the only ones. The other tables were confused and waiting too. If the food wasn't as good as it was then I would erase this place from my memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World Cup FinalsEattoliveDined on 6/14/2014The restaurant was crowded and very noisy due to the FIFA World Cup finals match between England and Italy. Too noisy to have a conversation. After the match was over the restaurant cleared out quickly and you could hear your companions. Wait until after the game if IOU want to talk. The food was good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service too slow!FishfreakDined on 6/6/2014We went on a Friday night as a group of 9. The restaurant was full and noisy. 7 people in our group loved the food but several were disappointed. It took a long time to get drinks and refills. I ordered fish and chips and the fish batter was not crispy and the chips (fries) arrived cold. We had waited almost two hours for our entrees, and I felt that mine had been held too long before serving. However, our appetizer, the curry corn chowder was very good.Special Features:
- Great, as alwaystablefor2Dined on 5/16/2014Although the brinjal fries were a tad greasy, the Shebeen was great as always. Large portions and nice vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Disappointed...FoxyLadyDined on 5/11/2014I was really looking forward to this and overall the food was good. However, as others have mentioned space is VERY limited. Tables are too close together and it's hard to move between them for both clients and staff. A waitress serving the table behind me hit me with her elbow! We were seated at the entrance/exit to the restrooms and had to endure a lot of traffic during our meal. I really regret not asking to be reseated elsewhere. I love lamb, but was not asked how well I would like it cooked and consequently it was too rare! As I was not paying for the meal myself, I did not feel it would be polite to be complaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FOH Attention SuggestedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2014This was my first visit. The food was outstanding! However, the staff seemed unsettled. The bartender was overwhelmed. Things just seemed disorganized, with servers each appearing to have stations indoors and outdoors. It was too much for them to handle. A little FOH management attention to server station size and bartender work load would have greatly improved the overall experience.Special Features:
- Service apologetic & slowOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/4/2014Servers were confused about who was doing what, apologized but there was no improvement, and one server spilled something when delivering main course. The quality of food was much better than the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lite FareEattoliveDined on 4/24/2014The menu is comprehensive and you can really eat a hearty meal; however, if, like us, you desire something lighter you can combine an appetizer to share (satay) with a salad (jovie de vivre) and have a delicious meal that's just enough! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter brunchMaggieDined on 4/20/2014We went for Easter brunch. The food was great. I had the eggs Chesapeake and the flavored mixed really well. Would defiantly go again for brunch. We were early so it wasn't very busy yet. All in all a great place for brunch.Special Features:
- Thanks for the special evening!jjjjiDined on 4/19/2014Our server went out of her way to make our special girls night out memorable. YUM!!! Thank you so much!Special Features:
- saturday visitwaa1944Dined on 4/12/2014helpful and courteous service, food presentation excellant and tasty, a bit noisy as the place filled up and the evening progressed - a very enjoyable evening overallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peri-Peri Spice abound!!!pmrthirdVIPDined on 4/7/2014What a great place to eat while away on business. The bar was packed with many locals. The house Shiraz wine from South Africa is great!!!! Enjoyed the peri-peri wings (not as spicy as I recalled the last time but still good). Also, tried the mussels that where cooked to perfection in a cream sauce that had NE Clam Chowder taste....excellent! Look forward to coming back and trying more items on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic South African Cuisinedeep2seeDined on 4/5/2014Perfect Ambiance. Terrific Food. Impeccable service. We felt we were back in the bush. We can't wait to go back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Great ExperienceFunNightDined on 3/29/2014They have a full bar, great food, great ambiance... My date was definitely impressed that night. It was lively but not so loud that we couldn't still have a great conversation and enjoy a couple cocktails. Service was great and had we stayed longer we would have enjoyed Salsa night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my first visit andOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/24/2014This was my first visit and I loved it. Our server, Leah, was wonderfully knowledgeable about the menu and Sheheen. Great smile and always there but never hovered. The coconut corn chowder is yummy as was the fried mozzarella cheese. We'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Introduced my friends on a day tripHappyEaterDined on 3/22/2014Sooo good. My usually picky girlfriends never complained. Not even once. Our server, Jenna, was stellar. Incredibly personable and dripping authentic southern charm, she raved about her favorite dishes and did not lead us astray. Our food was so wonderful, I've ordered take out from Shebeen for my next book club meeting with these friends, and I love to cook. Can't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodRSW1Dined on 2/28/2014This was my first time there for lunch and the food was just terrific. The sweet potato soup was off the charts - I could have ordered more and just had that for lunch. The steak ciabatta was also excellent though perhaps more than I needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dining experiencesocialVegDined on 2/14/2014This restaurant has a little bit of selection for vegetarians - enough for me. I had a very nice black bean soup, and the groundnut stew. Beer selection was just right for me - not too complicated - good mix of draught beers. Very cool decorating - quite unique.