520 Florida Ave NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shawstavern.com/
- Phone: 2025184092x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday -Saturday: 5:00pm - 11pm, Sunday & Monday 5:00pm-10:00pm
Bar open until midnight Sunday - Thursday, 2:30am Friday & Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Prime
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us if you are interested in private events or group happy hours.
- Private Party Contact: Rob Heim, General Manager 8776251703
- Entertainment: Wednesdays Piano Bar with Jill Parsons 9:30pm
Thursdays Live Jazz 9pm
Fridays Live Bands 8pm
A word from Shaw's Tavern
Shaw's Tavern is an exciting DC gastropub located in the heart of the city that brings a seasonal menu and innovative atmosphere to the energetic Shaw Neighborhood. Our seasonal menu offers both a vast array of classic comforts and rustic delicacies. Here, people gather to dine in one of the best restaurants in Washington, DC with family and friends amongst a backdrop that combines urban form with country elegance. Whether you are searching for a quiet table for two or multiple private dining venues, Shaw's Tavern is one of the best dining experiences in Washington, DC and can cater to all of your dining needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Shaw's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Shaw ›
Shaw's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (56)great for outdoor dining (53)great for brunch (39)good for groups (31)vibrant bar scene (24)great for lunch (17)fit for foodies (16)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (7)scenic view (4)romantic (3)special occasion (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Good Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014I love this place. The food is ALWAYS good as well as the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Being is my favorite meal of the day and I travel to many states and try brunches in many locations. This is by far one of my favorites! There is absolutely nothing on the menu that I've tried and didn't like. I've recommended this place to others and they love it the same. It's kind of small, yet cozy so I would recommend making reservations well in advance. Steak and eggs with the potatoes is my favorite dish! Bon appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Okay ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014As big fans of Shaw's Tavern for happy hour, my friends and I decided to try their brunch. Definitely a great choice because their brunch menu is awesome. So many really good options to choose from. All of us were extremely happy with the food. Service was slow, but not slow enough to get upset about. Overall, very happy with Shaw's Tavern. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patio diningFriNightAppetiteDined on 8/8/2014Eclectic menu with a diversity of dishes. There were 4 in my party and I tasted ribs, chicken sandwich, blue cheese salad w chicken, and burger. All were good and just on the cusp of exceptional. A more meticulous kitchen manager and this place would be awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with girlfriendsSamanthaDined on 8/3/2014The food was amazing! We ordered lots to chair at the table. My favorite was the chicken&cornbreadwaffles!! Loves it! I will be going back... Especially to try the dessert :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High hopes were smashedhawktasticDined on 8/2/2014I had heard alot about Shaw's Tavern and how great their brunch was so I had pretty high hopes. I ordered the Mac N Cheese skillet and my friend ordered the Biscuits N Lamb Gravy. Both were subpar. The skillet didn't have any flavor (no salt, pepper or spices) and there were very few pieces of Andouille sausage in it. The biscuits and gravy was alot of gravy with very little lamb in the dish. Overall it was very expensive for such little protein, flavor or substance in the dishes. I would not recommend those dishes.Special Features:
- Nice placeKSholasDined on 7/20/2014I enjoyed our selections. Trendy spot seemingly more geared toward young singles.Special Features:
- lostopportunityDined on 7/19/2014Though the experience of eating outside at Shaws was very nice, our brunch order was lost. The waitress did not even notice this until I asked at 45 minutes where our food was. She went away and said it will be up in a couple of minutes. Then ten minutes later she came back and said actually, our lunch order had been lost. She said she asked them to hurry it up. Another 15 minutes passed and finally the food came. This happens. However nothing was offered to us by way of acknowledging their mess up. That is such an easy thing to do when such poor service has been given. Better training is needed with the wait staff, I would say.
- Shaw's Tavern - Just What I NeededPattyDined on 7/17/2014I have been to Shaw's Tavern three times now and have ordered different items each time. For the most part, I love their food. The cornbread waffle is delicious and different from anything I've ever had. It tastes both like cornbread and a waffle. The fried chicken on top of it is great, but the serving doesn't provide enough syrup and you have to ask for more. The grilled cheese with tomato sauce (really tomato soup) was so good. The fried green tomatoes were tasty. The ribs, I didn't like those so much. I'm from St. Louis, so I was expecting to experience something close to what I grew up eating w/ the STL ribs. Not so. They weren't bad, just not what I had anticipated. I didn't like the sauce much. The pizza was really good.Special Features:
- Delicious Truffle BurgerInfromthenovaburbsDined on 7/12/2014Five in our party. All great meals. Two of us ordered the mushroom truffle burger. It was great: the smell, the toasted bun, grilled as requested, right amount of grease. Side salad only had greens and two small tomatoes, no dressing although I should have asked for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Little Neighborhood PlaceBinrahVIPDined on 7/11/2014Food is nothing special, but not bad either. On Friday nights they have a live band which makes the evening pleasant. Nice beer, wine and full bar. A fair amount of outdoor seating is available when the weather is nice. My only criticism is the condition of the chairs. The filling is coming out of the chairs which makes the place feel a little unsanitary. Most of the guests didn't appear to mind, but it was somewhat of a turnoff for me. If the chairs are replaced I would definitely increase my ambience rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in the cityScottVIPDined on 7/11/2014I've lived in dc for 8 years and overall this is the best restaurant in DC. Period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014Shaw's Tavern is a great place to go anytime of day. They happily accommodating our group when we made a reservation that day and even sat us outside on a lovely night. The live music on weekends is one of my favorite parts. Thanks Shaw's Tavern!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesdays are the best nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014Half priced burgers on Tuesday are great. 4 drinks and 2 burgers came to $35. Awesome!!! Plus they tasted great. The service was really slow. I suggest booking on opentable to avoid a wait too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jimmy Is the Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Our group of 5 went to Shaw's on Saturday for brunch and had the pleasure of having Jimmy as our server. He was extremely attentive and welcoming. I had the grilled cheese sandwich, which was pretty great. However, my friends were not as satisfied with their meals. The gouda grits were extremely runny, unseasoned and seemingly had no cheese in them. We ended up sending them back. The texture of the cornbread waffle was very crumbly, making it nearly impossible to eat and the chicken (like the grits) was very under seasoned. The hushpuppys were rather dry, but the red velvet french toast was AMAZING. I will definitely come back, however, I will only select from two dishes.Special Features:
- Truly AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2014Had brunch here recently with some friends, STAY AWaY!! The menu was dissapointing, food awful and service even worse. Was really dissapointing.
- Fast becoming a pre-show favoriteKateDDined on 6/18/2014My third visit to Shaw's Tavern did not disappoint. Found myself once again 9:30 Club bound & Shaw's is the perfect spot for pre-show dinner & drinks. Wings delicious. Burger & reg.fries (non truffled, this time) delicious, fun cocktails (strawberry mojito) fantastic. I am looking forward to my next visit and won't be waiting until my next concert outing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great visitKateDDined on 6/7/2014pre-show (at 9:30 Club) dinne was excellent-even got there early enough to enjoy some Happy Jpur Specials. Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for improvememtNYer4LifeDined on 6/7/2014Arrived for a late lunch on a beautiful Saturday and was seated immediately although it was fairly packed inside and out. It was their bottomless mimosa brunch so needless to say the noise level was through the roof, it was Pride weekend, and the dj was spinning. Made for a lively time. However, it took about 20 minutes for a waiter to arrive, not the swiftest delivery of food, and the pizzas for my kids were nothing better than Digiorno you can buy in the freezer section. My Cuke salad was nice and fresh but needed a bit more flavor; the fried green tomatoes were missing something in the remoulade and the tomatoes could've been a bit more ripened. Overall I think it's worth a try during the week for the lunch menu.Special Features:
- good food, but subpar servicecasualbruncherDined on 5/20/2014service was horribly slow this evening. not sure if it was the weather or happy hour specials, but it should not take 30 minutes to get dessert, esp. when it's only strawberry shortcake. thankfully it was tasty, but necessarily worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome chill setting!Jpfhu09Dined on 5/17/2014Great night catching up with old friends. The service was awesome and the food didn't disappoint. I will definitely come baack for brunch or another event filled night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014It was a little loud for my taste, but it was Saturday night- so I understand! The host was wonderful, and when he learned it was our first time there, he gave us high fives, made us feel welcome, and ensured we had a table that we liked by the window. Service was great (maybe a little slow, but of course, it was a busy night there).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was greatAshBDined on 5/11/2014Gouda grits were amazing!!!! The ambiance was cool Open windows and great outdoor seating.Special Features:
- AmyBVIPDined on 5/11/2014We ate brunch here and then dinner a week later and sat outside both times. The food was good both times. We had great service for brunch but dinner was a little spotty. It took forever to get our check the second time.Special Features:
- Great place to meet up with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/8/2014Love shaw tavern to meet up with friends after work. They have happy hour discounts on food, beer, wine & rail drinks- rare to find these days. The wood fire pizza is my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Food was very good, including cornmeal waffles, fried green tomatoes, chicken/salad combo, chicken/waffles and pizzas. Service was excellent, very kid friendly, and highly recommended.Special Features:
- The following 84 reviews are from the Shaw's Tavern reviews archive.
- Shaws tavernOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/1/2014The food is always pretty good and the staff is friendly...problem is, service is ALWAYS slow no matter if the restaurant is crowded or not. This is a great mystery. Overall though, always a nice stop for a decent meal.Special Features:
- Food was fine. Kitchen was slow.EG11VIPDined on 4/26/2014It took us an hour to get seated, order drinks, and get a starter & a couple of sandwiches. We were seated near the kitchen and there really wasn't much food moving through at all. As the neighborhood gentrifies, they'll need to step up their game or they're sunk. I say that but I'm also clear that, in the spirit of PT Barnum, nobody ever went broke in DC providing alcohol to Hill staffers. As for the food, the poutine was good. Sandwiches were fine. My girl's tomato soup that accompanied her sandwich? I'll quote her - "it's rare that'll you'll hear me say I prefer Campbell's."Special Features:
- SaraVIPDined on 4/26/2014Always good food and drink and a great outdoor patio. THey never seem to have enough servers outside, though.
- Great pub food!JoanieboVIPDined on 4/25/2014It's a tavern with really good food -- love the dressing on the salad. Reasonable prices. Although it's not in my neighborhood, it's definitely worth going back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!NY2DMVDined on 4/24/2014This restaurant is wonderful. I was quite pleased with the food and service. Pretty laid back ambience, worth the return trip to try other entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusually disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014This was a dire night for the restaurant by any standards. The food took around 1 hour 10 mins from when we ordered it to arrive. When it finally did arrive, after much complaining to the wait staff, it was not as described on the menu. One vegetable and quinoa plate had no quinoa - the restaurant said they had run out when we asked. I ordered chicken which was supposed to come with roast vegetables. There were none. The restaurant had a big party upstairs but they clearly took in more people than they could cater. I usually like this place. I would give it another chance but was seriously disappointed even though they gave us all the food for free in the end.
- Apps were good. Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014Apps were good. Not impressed with the entrees/sandwiches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, Uneven Neighborhood SpotNeighborDined on 4/12/2014Fun hang out. Very much a tavern, with dark interior, great windows & streetside outdoor seating. Can be noisy inside with excellent, but over-amped singer, & outside with ambulances from nearby Howard hospital. Service started out prompt but ended so slow that we had to box entire entrée to make an event. Prices a bit hi for some entrees at this modest place. Most food tasty but not gourmet. Know that the lamb app is rather bland & very heavy on double-fries. Like Aanold, I'll be back.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014Food was decent but came to me cold. I had to send back the soup and ask them to reheat. My grilled cheese sandwich also could have been hotter. Overall, the food was fine. I'd like to give them another chance but hope the service is better the next time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love me some Shaw TavernKingMynoDined on 4/4/2014My girlfriend and I stopped in for dinner on a Friday and had a fantastic time. We split an appetizer and got a sandwich and a beer each; the prices were great and the sandwiches were huge (if you're hungry, get the Big Charcuterie). There was also a live bluegrass band playing, which we loved. Can't say enough good things about Shaw Tavern, it's a wonderful spot in a burgeoning part of DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service to service membernesrobin4Dined on 3/28/2014I was celebrating with my friend who just returned from a tour of Duty. Our server was great. The food very delicious and great for someone who just served our country. She really appreciated it. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We started with the blue salad,CaitDined on 3/23/2014We started with the blue salad, which was quite good. I had the jumbalaya and my fiancé had the half chicken. Both were decent, but nothing spectacular, and like many things in DC, overpriced. It's a nice spot and decent food if you live on or near the neighborhood. For dinner, it's not worth a trip, but for the bar scene, I think it would be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must try their brunch menu!BrunchfandcVIPDined on 3/23/2014Shaw's Tavern is a neighborhood delight, situated in the quickly developing shaw neighborhood just on Florida Avenue past U Street, it's location is prime. But the atmosphere and the food are even better. The brunch menu especially is absolutely delicious. I've had almost everything on the menu and it all tastes amazing. The brunch burger is an easy callout, and the brunch pizza is pretty much to die for. The red velvet pancakes are also good, but a bit too sweet for my taste with the cream cheese frosting, but seriously just go and try anything. And get a brunch beverage while you're at it. You won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burnt, too loud, and way too slowheyyoDined on 3/15/2014The burgers were actually pretty good. The fried green tomatoes were burnt. They were obviously left in the fryer for a bit too long. Our appetizer (FGT) took 25 minutes to come out. Our entrees (the burgers) took 40 minutes to come out. That was a bit ridiculous. Not worth it.