520 Florida Ave NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shawstavern.com/
- Phone: (202) 518-4092
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday -Saturday: 5:00pm - 11pm, Sunday & Monday 5:00pm-10:00pm
Bar open until midnight Sunday - Thursday, 2:30am Friday & Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Prime
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us if you are interested in private events or group happy hours.
- Private Party Contact: Rob Heim, General Manager 8776251703
- Entertainment: Wednesdays Piano Bar with Jill Parsons 9:30pm
Thursdays Live Jazz 9pm
Fridays Live Bands 8pm
A word from Shaw's Tavern
Shaw's Tavern is an exciting DC gastropub located in the heart of the city that brings a seasonal menu and innovative atmosphere to the energetic Shaw Neighborhood. Our seasonal menu offers both a vast array of classic comforts and rustic delicacies. Here, people gather to dine in one of the best restaurants in Washington, DC with family and friends amongst a backdrop that combines urban form with country elegance. Whether you are searching for a quiet table for two or multiple private dining venues, Shaw's Tavern is one of the best dining experiences in Washington, DC and can cater to all of your dining needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shaw's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (63)great for outdoor dining (43)good for groups (34)great for brunch (32)fit for foodies (25)vibrant bar scene (25)hot spot (24)great for lunch (23)late-night find (10)special occasion (6)romantic (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Good neighborhood pubOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Other reviewers had complained about the service - even when it wasn't busy -- but our experience on a slow Sunday evening was good. Though they were out of a first choice -- catfish -- the food was tasty and served hot. Fired calamari and french fries done just right, juicy burger and pretty good blue cheese salad. Sadly, Sunday night is the only night of the week where they don't have their great happy hour specials. At an earlier visit during happy hour we had a terrific server, $2 off draft beers, and a sizable appetizer of piping hot hush puppies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KateDined on 11/23/2014It was very hot inside and the waiter was not particularly attentive, but the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/9/2014Went here for Sunday brunch with two friends. We got the bottomless mimosas which were well worth it. Our waiter was extremely attentive, never leaving our glass less than half full. The food as also incredible: brunch pizza, pumpkin french toast and fried chicken and waffles. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014Great food and very friendly wait staff. Definitely will be coming back here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute rustic placePumpkinninjaDined on 11/2/2014This place exceeded expectations. The brunch offerings were great and the ambiance was also on point. Only down side: the prices are too high - $14 for a salad and added chicken is $6 and shrimp is $9?? Nope.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Dining ExperienceFoodieNGDined on 10/26/2014Great food options with something for any time of the day or whatever you have a taste for. Delicious cocktails that seem to compliment the menu perfectly with an nice notable wine and beer list. There is an awesome ambiance that made the dining experience extremely comfortable and yet intimate. I enjoyed the high level of customer service from the moment I walked in. Charismatic and knowledgeable staff that will leave you smiling throughout the experience.Special Features:
- Food was good, the rest was not.CarolineDined on 10/25/2014I went for the Saturday standup. Our waiter was not enthusiastic at all. First I ordered chicken and waffles, but they ran out. So I got a brunch pizza. I asked the waiter if it was good, and he said "if you like eggs." My friend ordered grapefruit brulee and asked if it was any good, the waiter said "I've never had it. It just looks like fruit." We ended up ordering and were pretty impressed with the food, so we asked where the standup was. He said it was upstairs, but he told us "don't come for the comedy. At least I hear people laughing today." ...Not impressed with this negative nancy.Special Features:
- Pre/Post Concert Must-StopSteveSDined on 10/24/2014My favorite place to stop before or after a show at 930 Club or DC9 or Velvet Lounge or Howard Theater or Axum Lounge. Great beer selection and delicious food offerings. I made a reservation for 930pm, we arrived about 20 minutes early because the show we saw let out early and they were still able to seat us. Service was a little slow mainly because the place was really busy (not a complaint at all!). Server did immediately notice the wrong item was brought out and fixed it up lickity-split.Special Features:
- Good Neighborhood BarOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014Food was pretty good, but the service left a lot to be desired. I will go back, but would definitely change servers if I got that same waitress again.Special Features:
- LovelyLiliDined on 10/5/2014Nice food, good service. Neighbourhood bar and grillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend the veggie plateOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/5/2014Great veggie plate! Good list of draft beers too. We were a little chilly because the front door was propped open. Other than that I highly recommend!
- Great ServicePAWsDined on 10/5/2014Not only was the food great, but our waiter really made a difference to our dining experience. He was friendly, attentive (not too attentive!) and overall a great person. Loved it!Special Features:
- Good not Greatmslanee1VIPDined on 10/4/2014In a city like DC where everyone loves a good brunch, I was surprised at how just okay everything was. The service was okay. Our waiter was around and busy but not as helpful and on time as we would have liked. We had to wait for about 15 min for him to take our order. The mimosas were bottomless, but they came in these small thing glasses, requiring lots of refills, which were difficult to get because our waiter was often MIA. The food was just okay. I had the red velvet french toast. I have had them done better with more fineness. Here they just dragged bread through red velvet cake batter and fried them. I'd give them a second shot because as I said, nothing was terrible. Nothing was great either.
- Great Place!EmmyarDined on 10/3/2014My boyfriend and I went for dinner on a Friday! The music was beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shaw's TavernLibbyjDined on 10/1/2014Great deviled eggs, chicken salad sandwich with crisp bacon and great bun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They really tried to make it badDCFoodie21Dined on 9/30/2014Rude bar tender, slow service, no one wanted to be helpful The food we ordered was great, except that they messed up 4 out of 4 dinners. The waiter never came to check if everything was OK, but we were able to flag a busboy a few minutes after. My friend with a severe gluten allergy ordered the jambalaya, which said ‘gluten-free’ on the menu. DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU ARE ACTUALLY GLUTEN-FREE. There was a piece of deep-fried chicken on top. When we asked the waiter about it, he acted like we were bothering him by asking if that was in-fact breaded, fried chicken. His answer was “I don’t know…probably.” No one ever even apologized for that extremely dangerous mistake.
- It's ok, but not that greatNibblinginDCDined on 9/28/2014I have never done brunch at ST and i don't think I'd do it again.No 'special' coffees, which is fine - I've been to other places that are the same. But they also don't do poached eggs, the scrambled where ok, but nothing special and generally I just wasn't that impressed. I'll stick to going in the evening with the spicy mac'n'cheese.
- Neighborhood gem!OrgelmanDined on 9/24/2014I've driven by this place a hundred times on my way to and from work. It always seemed to be packed and had a great look. I recently went there for lunch and it was terrific. Special recognition to the fried green tomatoes appetizer and the chicken and waffles entre. I went when things were a bit quiet in terms of the crowd, so I can't speak to peak services issues or noise levels when the place is filled. But it was a thoroughly enjoyable lunch experience, and I will be back. One caveat: There is a huge amount of construction going on in the neighborhood, so getting around by car and parking may be a slight challenge especially during the week. Non-residential parking is available on the side streets, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great live musicGoNatsDined on 9/19/2014And great Gouda cheese grits. Only downside is Florida avenue traffic and noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, casual & chillTottiDined on 9/18/2014Food was good!! Live Jazz, drinks, friends, & Thursday night football always equal good times...especially after a long day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchRandyDined on 9/14/2014Just a few blocks from the fussy restaurants of 14th Street is the wonderful Shaw's Tavern. It's comfortable and easy, with excellent service and delicious food. Shaw's offers a delicous brunch.Special Features:
- Culinary CacophonyPureSchmaltzDined on 9/12/2014This place looks great. Throw in a few dozen Friday night reveling urban professionals, pump up the music to 3X the necessary volume, make the wait staff disappear, and you've got bedlam. Nobody can hear a damned thing so it's a good thing nobody's really listening. The five minutes waiting for an outside table turns into thirty because the second guy can't find you on 'the list' the first guy left behind. Nobody even asks if we're interested in a beverage while we try to look thirsty at the bar. We believe the food will be worth the inconvenience. Wasn't. Noisy, over-wrought, bloat-inducing. We were excited to show up, at lot more pleased to leave. Urp.Special Features:
- Great place, just need more items.Aka1981VIPDined on 9/6/2014Needs more brunch menu items , other than that a good place. The menu is a pricey .Special Features:
- Shaw's Tavern DeliversSharidDined on 9/6/2014Shaw's Tavern is always on point, this was a friendly reunion brunch and it was unforgettable. Everyone tried a new dish and we raved about it even days later. Try the lamb and biscuits, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food! Great service!DCDiningDined on 9/4/2014The food was tasty and the service was great. The server never missed a beat. Our drinks were always full. The bar was quick and the beer was cold. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinnerkat69Dined on 9/4/2014I took my man friend here for his birthday and was not disappointed. We got apps, beers and entrees and enjoyed all of it. I'm vegetarian and there were quite a few options to choose. Great little neighborhood restaurant that I'll surely be visiting again. They also always have awesome Groupon deals for the money-savvy diner.Special Features:
- A TWIST ON BRUNCH!FilmmakertoWatchVIPDined on 9/1/2014Tempted by a Groupon I ventured into this neighborhood establishment. Street parking was not too bad, and as I walked in I was pleasantly greeted by the host and seated promptly. The tavern is an interior decorator's dream where the wooden barrel-tables and eclectic layout create a warm ambience. Brunch was a delightful experience with unusual twists such as red velvet pancakes, chicken and waffles of an ilk you have never tried before, and the smoothest possible cilantro gin that was enticing and refreshing on a warm summer day!Special Features:
- Brunch GroupJraftDined on 9/1/2014We went in on Labor Day with a large group (supposed to be 8, became 10) of bartenders for brunch. Our server was great- kept the mimosas coming and got everything right. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Pork sandwich was great - fries were really good and a good beer selection. Hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food!Chakra747Dined on 8/25/2014I love this place. The food is ALWAYS good as well as the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BrunchFoodieNiahDined on 8/24/2014Being is my favorite meal of the day and I travel to many states and try brunches in many locations. This is by far one of my favorites! There is absolutely nothing on the menu that I've tried and didn't like. I've recommended this place to others and they love it the same. It's kind of small, yet cozy so I would recommend making reservations well in advance. Steak and eggs with the potatoes is my favorite dish! Bon appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Okay ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014As big fans of Shaw's Tavern for happy hour, my friends and I decided to try their brunch. Definitely a great choice because their brunch menu is awesome. So many really good options to choose from. All of us were extremely happy with the food. Service was slow, but not slow enough to get upset about. Overall, very happy with Shaw's Tavern. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patio diningFriNightAppetiteDined on 8/8/2014Eclectic menu with a diversity of dishes. There were 4 in my party and I tasted ribs, chicken sandwich, blue cheese salad w chicken, and burger. All were good and just on the cusp of exceptional. A more meticulous kitchen manager and this place would be awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with girlfriendsSamanthaDined on 8/3/2014The food was amazing! We ordered lots to chair at the table. My favorite was the chicken&cornbreadwaffles!! Loves it! I will be going back... Especially to try the dessert :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High hopes were smashedhawktasticDined on 8/2/2014I had heard alot about Shaw's Tavern and how great their brunch was so I had pretty high hopes. I ordered the Mac N Cheese skillet and my friend ordered the Biscuits N Lamb Gravy. Both were subpar. The skillet didn't have any flavor (no salt, pepper or spices) and there were very few pieces of Andouille sausage in it. The biscuits and gravy was alot of gravy with very little lamb in the dish. Overall it was very expensive for such little protein, flavor or substance in the dishes. I would not recommend those dishes.Special Features:
- The following 104 reviews are from the Shaw's Tavern reviews archive.
- Nice placeKSholasVIPDined on 7/20/2014I enjoyed our selections. Trendy spot seemingly more geared toward young singles.Special Features:
- lostopportunityDined on 7/19/2014Though the experience of eating outside at Shaws was very nice, our brunch order was lost. The waitress did not even notice this until I asked at 45 minutes where our food was. She went away and said it will be up in a couple of minutes. Then ten minutes later she came back and said actually, our lunch order had been lost. She said she asked them to hurry it up. Another 15 minutes passed and finally the food came. This happens. However nothing was offered to us by way of acknowledging their mess up. That is such an easy thing to do when such poor service has been given. Better training is needed with the wait staff, I would say.
- Shaw's Tavern - Just What I NeededPattyDined on 7/17/2014I have been to Shaw's Tavern three times now and have ordered different items each time. For the most part, I love their food. The cornbread waffle is delicious and different from anything I've ever had. It tastes both like cornbread and a waffle. The fried chicken on top of it is great, but the serving doesn't provide enough syrup and you have to ask for more. The grilled cheese with tomato sauce (really tomato soup) was so good. The fried green tomatoes were tasty. The ribs, I didn't like those so much. I'm from St. Louis, so I was expecting to experience something close to what I grew up eating w/ the STL ribs. Not so. They weren't bad, just not what I had anticipated. I didn't like the sauce much. The pizza was really good.Special Features:
- Delicious Truffle BurgerInfromthenovaburbsDined on 7/12/2014Five in our party. All great meals. Two of us ordered the mushroom truffle burger. It was great: the smell, the toasted bun, grilled as requested, right amount of grease. Side salad only had greens and two small tomatoes, no dressing although I should have asked for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Little Neighborhood PlaceBinrahVIPDined on 7/11/2014Food is nothing special, but not bad either. On Friday nights they have a live band which makes the evening pleasant. Nice beer, wine and full bar. A fair amount of outdoor seating is available when the weather is nice. My only criticism is the condition of the chairs. The filling is coming out of the chairs which makes the place feel a little unsanitary. Most of the guests didn't appear to mind, but it was somewhat of a turnoff for me. If the chairs are replaced I would definitely increase my ambience rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.