520 Florida Ave NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shawstavern.com/
- Phone: (202) 518-4092
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday -Saturday: 5:00pm - 11pm, Sunday & Monday 5:00pm-10:00pm
Bar open until midnight Sunday - Thursday, 2:30am Friday & Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Prime
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us if you are interested in private events or group happy hours.
- Private Party Contact: Rob Heim, General Manager 8776251703
- Entertainment: Wednesdays Piano Bar with Jill Parsons 9:30pm
Thursdays Live Jazz 9pm
Fridays Live Bands 8pm
A word from Shaw's Tavern
Shaw's Tavern is an exciting DC gastropub located in the heart of the city that brings a seasonal menu and innovative atmosphere to the energetic Shaw Neighborhood. Our seasonal menu offers both a vast array of classic comforts and rustic delicacies. Here, people gather to dine in one of the best restaurants in Washington, DC with family and friends amongst a backdrop that combines urban form with country elegance. Whether you are searching for a quiet table for two or multiple private dining venues, Shaw's Tavern is one of the best dining experiences in Washington, DC and can cater to all of your dining needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shaw's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (63)great for outdoor dining (43)good for groups (34)great for brunch (31)fit for foodies (25)vibrant bar scene (25)hot spot (23)great for lunch (23)late-night find (10)special occasion (6)romantic (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Best restaurant in the cityScottVIPDined on 7/11/2014I've lived in dc for 8 years and overall this is the best restaurant in DC. Period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014Shaw's Tavern is a great place to go anytime of day. They happily accommodating our group when we made a reservation that day and even sat us outside on a lovely night. The live music on weekends is one of my favorite parts. Thanks Shaw's Tavern!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesdays are the best nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014Half priced burgers on Tuesday are great. 4 drinks and 2 burgers came to $35. Awesome!!! Plus they tasted great. The service was really slow. I suggest booking on opentable to avoid a wait too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jimmy Is the Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Our group of 5 went to Shaw's on Saturday for brunch and had the pleasure of having Jimmy as our server. He was extremely attentive and welcoming. I had the grilled cheese sandwich, which was pretty great. However, my friends were not as satisfied with their meals. The gouda grits were extremely runny, unseasoned and seemingly had no cheese in them. We ended up sending them back. The texture of the cornbread waffle was very crumbly, making it nearly impossible to eat and the chicken (like the grits) was very under seasoned. The hushpuppys were rather dry, but the red velvet french toast was AMAZING. I will definitely come back, however, I will only select from two dishes.Special Features:
- Truly AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2014Had brunch here recently with some friends, STAY AWaY!! The menu was dissapointing, food awful and service even worse. Was really dissapointing.
- Fast becoming a pre-show favoriteKateDVIPDined on 6/18/2014My third visit to Shaw's Tavern did not disappoint. Found myself once again 9:30 Club bound & Shaw's is the perfect spot for pre-show dinner & drinks. Wings delicious. Burger & reg.fries (non truffled, this time) delicious, fun cocktails (strawberry mojito) fantastic. I am looking forward to my next visit and won't be waiting until my next concert outing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great visitKateDVIPDined on 6/7/2014pre-show (at 9:30 Club) dinne was excellent-even got there early enough to enjoy some Happy Jpur Specials. Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for improvememtNYer4LifeDined on 6/7/2014Arrived for a late lunch on a beautiful Saturday and was seated immediately although it was fairly packed inside and out. It was their bottomless mimosa brunch so needless to say the noise level was through the roof, it was Pride weekend, and the dj was spinning. Made for a lively time. However, it took about 20 minutes for a waiter to arrive, not the swiftest delivery of food, and the pizzas for my kids were nothing better than Digiorno you can buy in the freezer section. My Cuke salad was nice and fresh but needed a bit more flavor; the fried green tomatoes were missing something in the remoulade and the tomatoes could've been a bit more ripened. Overall I think it's worth a try during the week for the lunch menu.Special Features:
- good food, but subpar servicecasualbruncherDined on 5/20/2014service was horribly slow this evening. not sure if it was the weather or happy hour specials, but it should not take 30 minutes to get dessert, esp. when it's only strawberry shortcake. thankfully it was tasty, but necessarily worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome chill setting!Jpfhu09Dined on 5/17/2014Great night catching up with old friends. The service was awesome and the food didn't disappoint. I will definitely come baack for brunch or another event filled night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014It was a little loud for my taste, but it was Saturday night- so I understand! The host was wonderful, and when he learned it was our first time there, he gave us high fives, made us feel welcome, and ensured we had a table that we liked by the window. Service was great (maybe a little slow, but of course, it was a busy night there).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was greatAshBDined on 5/11/2014Gouda grits were amazing!!!! The ambiance was cool Open windows and great outdoor seating.Special Features:
- AmyBVIPDined on 5/11/2014We ate brunch here and then dinner a week later and sat outside both times. The food was good both times. We had great service for brunch but dinner was a little spotty. It took forever to get our check the second time.Special Features:
- Great place to meet up with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/8/2014Love shaw tavern to meet up with friends after work. They have happy hour discounts on food, beer, wine & rail drinks- rare to find these days. The wood fire pizza is my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Food was very good, including cornmeal waffles, fried green tomatoes, chicken/salad combo, chicken/waffles and pizzas. Service was excellent, very kid friendly, and highly recommended.Special Features:
- Shaws tavernOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/1/2014The food is always pretty good and the staff is friendly...problem is, service is ALWAYS slow no matter if the restaurant is crowded or not. This is a great mystery. Overall though, always a nice stop for a decent meal.Special Features:
- Food was fine. Kitchen was slow.EG11VIPDined on 4/26/2014It took us an hour to get seated, order drinks, and get a starter & a couple of sandwiches. We were seated near the kitchen and there really wasn't much food moving through at all. As the neighborhood gentrifies, they'll need to step up their game or they're sunk. I say that but I'm also clear that, in the spirit of PT Barnum, nobody ever went broke in DC providing alcohol to Hill staffers. As for the food, the poutine was good. Sandwiches were fine. My girl's tomato soup that accompanied her sandwich? I'll quote her - "it's rare that'll you'll hear me say I prefer Campbell's."Special Features:
- SaraVIPDined on 4/26/2014Always good food and drink and a great outdoor patio. THey never seem to have enough servers outside, though.
- Great pub food!JoanieboVIPDined on 4/25/2014It's a tavern with really good food -- love the dressing on the salad. Reasonable prices. Although it's not in my neighborhood, it's definitely worth going back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!NY2DMVDined on 4/24/2014This restaurant is wonderful. I was quite pleased with the food and service. Pretty laid back ambience, worth the return trip to try other entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusually disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014This was a dire night for the restaurant by any standards. The food took around 1 hour 10 mins from when we ordered it to arrive. When it finally did arrive, after much complaining to the wait staff, it was not as described on the menu. One vegetable and quinoa plate had no quinoa - the restaurant said they had run out when we asked. I ordered chicken which was supposed to come with roast vegetables. There were none. The restaurant had a big party upstairs but they clearly took in more people than they could cater. I usually like this place. I would give it another chance but was seriously disappointed even though they gave us all the food for free in the end.
- Apps were good. Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014Apps were good. Not impressed with the entrees/sandwiches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, Uneven Neighborhood SpotNeighborDined on 4/12/2014Fun hang out. Very much a tavern, with dark interior, great windows & streetside outdoor seating. Can be noisy inside with excellent, but over-amped singer, & outside with ambulances from nearby Howard hospital. Service started out prompt but ended so slow that we had to box entire entrée to make an event. Prices a bit hi for some entrees at this modest place. Most food tasty but not gourmet. Know that the lamb app is rather bland & very heavy on double-fries. Like Aanold, I'll be back.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014Food was decent but came to me cold. I had to send back the soup and ask them to reheat. My grilled cheese sandwich also could have been hotter. Overall, the food was fine. I'd like to give them another chance but hope the service is better the next time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love me some Shaw TavernKingMynoDined on 4/4/2014My girlfriend and I stopped in for dinner on a Friday and had a fantastic time. We split an appetizer and got a sandwich and a beer each; the prices were great and the sandwiches were huge (if you're hungry, get the Big Charcuterie). There was also a live bluegrass band playing, which we loved. Can't say enough good things about Shaw Tavern, it's a wonderful spot in a burgeoning part of DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service to service membernesrobin4VIPDined on 3/28/2014I was celebrating with my friend who just returned from a tour of Duty. Our server was great. The food very delicious and great for someone who just served our country. She really appreciated it. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We started with the blue salad,CaitVIPDined on 3/23/2014We started with the blue salad, which was quite good. I had the jumbalaya and my fiancé had the half chicken. Both were decent, but nothing spectacular, and like many things in DC, overpriced. It's a nice spot and decent food if you live on or near the neighborhood. For dinner, it's not worth a trip, but for the bar scene, I think it would be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must try their brunch menu!BrunchfandcVIPDined on 3/23/2014Shaw's Tavern is a neighborhood delight, situated in the quickly developing shaw neighborhood just on Florida Avenue past U Street, it's location is prime. But the atmosphere and the food are even better. The brunch menu especially is absolutely delicious. I've had almost everything on the menu and it all tastes amazing. The brunch burger is an easy callout, and the brunch pizza is pretty much to die for. The red velvet pancakes are also good, but a bit too sweet for my taste with the cream cheese frosting, but seriously just go and try anything. And get a brunch beverage while you're at it. You won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burnt, too loud, and way too slowheyyoDined on 3/15/2014The burgers were actually pretty good. The fried green tomatoes were burnt. They were obviously left in the fryer for a bit too long. Our appetizer (FGT) took 25 minutes to come out. Our entrees (the burgers) took 40 minutes to come out. That was a bit ridiculous. Not worth it.
- Expensive, Decent food, but $$fightingfredVIPDined on 3/15/2014Not a great deal for what you get. We got burgers that were good, but fries the fries were terrible. $12 for just a hamburger and terrible fries? No thank you. The bread pudding was exquisite and worth the money.
- I ordered the pizza. The crustOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014I ordered the pizza. The crust was not cooked on the top - still looked like raw dough. The cheese was low quality. Very disappointing. My boyfriend had the pulled pork sandwich. It was more like a sloppy joe. I thought this would be an authentic neighborhood spot, it felt more like a sports bar and the food was very disappointing. I won't be going back.
- Slow on food deliveryOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/9/2014The food was okay and took forever (we waited over 30 mins for our table of four's meals to be served during a nearly empty Sunday brunch), but our server was polite and quick with taking our orders and coffee refills. Overall, I liked the ambiance and am looking forward to enjoying the patio when the weather is warmer, but based on the food we got for brunch, I think I might just go for happy hour. I may amend my review once I've visited again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and slowJTNUGENTVIPDined on 3/7/2014So, I thought the point of a reservation was that you didn't have to wait for the next available table for 40 minutes.... Our waitress was good, but the food was only so-so. The live music was okay, but cranked way too loud which made everyone shout to each other to speak, which made the noise almost unbearable. Got out of there as quickly as we could. The whole upstairs area was apparently blocked off for a party, but when I went up there, only about 5 people were there. Kinda weird.Special Features:
- Great First Visit!YergsDined on 3/7/2014My partner and I finally made it to Shaw's Tavern for the first time, after living in DC for almost 7 years! It was well worth the wait! We had a 7:15 reservation, walked in at 7:12 and were seated immediately, on a Friday! We were met with drink menus and were immediately introduced to the food menu. The appetizer and food menu had a wide range from various meets, to vegan. Our appetizers were amazing and were immediately followed by our main course. Everything was cooked and prepared to perfection. Excellent spread of bar food to some fine entrees!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delighful eveningMonaDined on 3/6/2014Fortunately we got a semi-quiet table by the window. Everyone was attentive and helpful without hovering. The jambalaya was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch over Mimos & FoodbcrothDined on 3/3/2014Shaw's Tavern has always been a great spot for the nightcap, musical/piano karaoke wednesday nights. But, I was shocked to realize that their brunch was also a great event! The food was all drool-worthy and sophisticated in it's presentation, the service was on par with other DC places (so just keep on top of that waiter for drink refills ;) ), and no brunch is complete without: THE BOTTOMLESS MIMOSA! This spot will be put on the repeat list of brunching spots for my friends and I, for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantLancerDined on 3/2/2014Wonderful brunch experience for a moderate price by DC standards. The entire restaurant had a great laugh when a shelf of plates fell over while we were there. I know it sounds like a bad thing, but the neighborhood ambiance of the place made it a funny and memorable moment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch in ShawjbndcDined on 2/23/2014The staff were friendly and attentive. The meal was great. Service was prompt. My only complaint was the noise level and one of our party recieved a dirty spoon. I'll chalk both up to it being extremely busy on the warmest day of the year so far. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shaw's Tavern was awesome.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2014Shaw's Tavern was awesome. Our server was very accommodating for a party of 12. She was very attentive and was nice enough to split up our checks at the end which was really nice. She made it as easy as possible for our group which was perfect since we were celebrating a surprise birthday party. I had the grilled cheese, tomato soup, salad and mashed potatoes. It was the perfect comfort food and was really delicious. The mashed potatoes were amazing. I could have just ordered a trio of sides, they all sounded so good. The house red wine was great. The ambiance was great. Loved the piano player and karaoke that was going on in the background. We also had the fried green tomatoes, highly recommend. We love Shaw's Tavern. It is really a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It did the trickamsreDined on 2/7/2014I wasn't terribly impressed by the food, but the atmosphere was good and the booze was plentiful. I had no idea there was an upstairs area, which was nice a little quieter. Was not a big fan of the stools at the tables though.Special Features: