520 Florida Ave NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shawstavern.com/
- Phone: 2025184092x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday -Saturday: 5:00pm - 11pm, Sunday & Monday 5:00pm-10:00pm
Bar open until midnight Sunday - Thursday, 2:30am Friday & Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Prime
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us if you are interested in private events or group happy hours.
- Private Party Contact: Rob Heim, General Manager 8776251703
- Entertainment: Wednesdays Piano Bar with Jill Parsons 9:30pm
Thursdays Live Jazz 9pm
Fridays Live Bands 8pm
A word from Shaw's Tavern
Shaw's Tavern is an exciting DC gastropub located in the heart of the city that brings a seasonal menu and innovative atmosphere to the energetic Shaw Neighborhood. Our seasonal menu offers both a vast array of classic comforts and rustic delicacies. Here, people gather to dine in one of the best restaurants in Washington, DC with family and friends amongst a backdrop that combines urban form with country elegance. Whether you are searching for a quiet table for two or multiple private dining venues, Shaw's Tavern is one of the best dining experiences in Washington, DC and can cater to all of your dining needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shaw's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (67)great for outdoor dining (53)great for brunch (39)good for groups (36)fit for foodies (24)vibrant bar scene (23)great for lunch (23)hot spot (19)late-night find (8)romantic (6)kid-friendly (6)special occasion (4)scenic view (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- LovelyLiliDined on 10/5/2014Nice food, good service. Neighbourhood bar and grillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend the veggie plateOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/5/2014Great veggie plate! Good list of draft beers too. We were a little chilly because the front door was propped open. Other than that I highly recommend!
- Great ServicePAWsDined on 10/5/2014Not only was the food great, but our waiter really made a difference to our dining experience. He was friendly, attentive (not too attentive!) and overall a great person. Loved it!Special Features:
- Great Place!EmmyarDined on 10/3/2014My boyfriend and I went for dinner on a Friday! The music was beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shaw's TavernLibbyjDined on 10/1/2014Great deviled eggs, chicken salad sandwich with crisp bacon and great bun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They really tried to make it badDCFoodie21Dined on 9/30/2014Rude bar tender, slow service, no one wanted to be helpful The food we ordered was great, except that they messed up 4 out of 4 dinners. The waiter never came to check if everything was OK, but we were able to flag a busboy a few minutes after. My friend with a severe gluten allergy ordered the jambalaya, which said ‘gluten-free’ on the menu. DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU ARE ACTUALLY GLUTEN-FREE. There was a piece of deep-fried chicken on top. When we asked the waiter about it, he acted like we were bothering him by asking if that was in-fact breaded, fried chicken. His answer was “I don’t know…probably.” No one ever even apologized for that extremely dangerous mistake.
- It's ok, but not that greatNibblinginDCDined on 9/28/2014I have never done brunch at ST and i don't think I'd do it again.No 'special' coffees, which is fine - I've been to other places that are the same. But they also don't do poached eggs, the scrambled where ok, but nothing special and generally I just wasn't that impressed. I'll stick to going in the evening with the spicy mac'n'cheese.
- Neighborhood gem!OrgelmanDined on 9/24/2014I've driven by this place a hundred times on my way to and from work. It always seemed to be packed and had a great look. I recently went there for lunch and it was terrific. Special recognition to the fried green tomatoes appetizer and the chicken and waffles entre. I went when things were a bit quiet in terms of the crowd, so I can't speak to peak services issues or noise levels when the place is filled. But it was a thoroughly enjoyable lunch experience, and I will be back. One caveat: There is a huge amount of construction going on in the neighborhood, so getting around by car and parking may be a slight challenge especially during the week. Non-residential parking is available on the side streets, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great live musicGoNatsDined on 9/19/2014And great Gouda cheese grits. Only downside is Florida avenue traffic and noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, casual & chillTottiDined on 9/18/2014Food was good!! Live Jazz, drinks, friends, & Thursday night football always equal good times...especially after a long day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchRandyDined on 9/14/2014Just a few blocks from the fussy restaurants of 14th Street is the wonderful Shaw's Tavern. It's comfortable and easy, with excellent service and delicious food. Shaw's offers a delicous brunch.Special Features:
- Culinary CacophonyPureSchmaltzDined on 9/12/2014This place looks great. Throw in a few dozen Friday night reveling urban professionals, pump up the music to 3X the necessary volume, make the wait staff disappear, and you've got bedlam. Nobody can hear a damned thing so it's a good thing nobody's really listening. The five minutes waiting for an outside table turns into thirty because the second guy can't find you on 'the list' the first guy left behind. Nobody even asks if we're interested in a beverage while we try to look thirsty at the bar. We believe the food will be worth the inconvenience. Wasn't. Noisy, over-wrought, bloat-inducing. We were excited to show up, at lot more pleased to leave. Urp.Special Features:
- Great place, just need more items.Aka1981VIPDined on 9/6/2014Needs more brunch menu items , other than that a good place. The menu is a pricey .Special Features:
- Shaw's Tavern DeliversSharidDined on 9/6/2014Shaw's Tavern is always on point, this was a friendly reunion brunch and it was unforgettable. Everyone tried a new dish and we raved about it even days later. Try the lamb and biscuits, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food! Great service!DCDiningDined on 9/4/2014The food was tasty and the service was great. The server never missed a beat. Our drinks were always full. The bar was quick and the beer was cold. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinnerkat69Dined on 9/4/2014I took my man friend here for his birthday and was not disappointed. We got apps, beers and entrees and enjoyed all of it. I'm vegetarian and there were quite a few options to choose. Great little neighborhood restaurant that I'll surely be visiting again. They also always have awesome Groupon deals for the money-savvy diner.Special Features:
- A TWIST ON BRUNCH!FilmmakertoWatchVIPDined on 9/1/2014Tempted by a Groupon I ventured into this neighborhood establishment. Street parking was not too bad, and as I walked in I was pleasantly greeted by the host and seated promptly. The tavern is an interior decorator's dream where the wooden barrel-tables and eclectic layout create a warm ambience. Brunch was a delightful experience with unusual twists such as red velvet pancakes, chicken and waffles of an ilk you have never tried before, and the smoothest possible cilantro gin that was enticing and refreshing on a warm summer day!Special Features:
- Brunch GroupJraftDined on 9/1/2014We went in on Labor Day with a large group (supposed to be 8, became 10) of bartenders for brunch. Our server was great- kept the mimosas coming and got everything right. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Pork sandwich was great - fries were really good and a good beer selection. Hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food!Chakra747Dined on 8/25/2014I love this place. The food is ALWAYS good as well as the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BrunchFoodieNiahDined on 8/24/2014Being is my favorite meal of the day and I travel to many states and try brunches in many locations. This is by far one of my favorites! There is absolutely nothing on the menu that I've tried and didn't like. I've recommended this place to others and they love it the same. It's kind of small, yet cozy so I would recommend making reservations well in advance. Steak and eggs with the potatoes is my favorite dish! Bon appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Okay ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014As big fans of Shaw's Tavern for happy hour, my friends and I decided to try their brunch. Definitely a great choice because their brunch menu is awesome. So many really good options to choose from. All of us were extremely happy with the food. Service was slow, but not slow enough to get upset about. Overall, very happy with Shaw's Tavern. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patio diningFriNightAppetiteDined on 8/8/2014Eclectic menu with a diversity of dishes. There were 4 in my party and I tasted ribs, chicken sandwich, blue cheese salad w chicken, and burger. All were good and just on the cusp of exceptional. A more meticulous kitchen manager and this place would be awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with girlfriendsSamanthaDined on 8/3/2014The food was amazing! We ordered lots to chair at the table. My favorite was the chicken&cornbreadwaffles!! Loves it! I will be going back... Especially to try the dessert :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High hopes were smashedhawktasticDined on 8/2/2014I had heard alot about Shaw's Tavern and how great their brunch was so I had pretty high hopes. I ordered the Mac N Cheese skillet and my friend ordered the Biscuits N Lamb Gravy. Both were subpar. The skillet didn't have any flavor (no salt, pepper or spices) and there were very few pieces of Andouille sausage in it. The biscuits and gravy was alot of gravy with very little lamb in the dish. Overall it was very expensive for such little protein, flavor or substance in the dishes. I would not recommend those dishes.Special Features:
- Nice placeKSholasVIPDined on 7/20/2014I enjoyed our selections. Trendy spot seemingly more geared toward young singles.Special Features:
- lostopportunityDined on 7/19/2014Though the experience of eating outside at Shaws was very nice, our brunch order was lost. The waitress did not even notice this until I asked at 45 minutes where our food was. She went away and said it will be up in a couple of minutes. Then ten minutes later she came back and said actually, our lunch order had been lost. She said she asked them to hurry it up. Another 15 minutes passed and finally the food came. This happens. However nothing was offered to us by way of acknowledging their mess up. That is such an easy thing to do when such poor service has been given. Better training is needed with the wait staff, I would say.
- Shaw's Tavern - Just What I NeededPattyDined on 7/17/2014I have been to Shaw's Tavern three times now and have ordered different items each time. For the most part, I love their food. The cornbread waffle is delicious and different from anything I've ever had. It tastes both like cornbread and a waffle. The fried chicken on top of it is great, but the serving doesn't provide enough syrup and you have to ask for more. The grilled cheese with tomato sauce (really tomato soup) was so good. The fried green tomatoes were tasty. The ribs, I didn't like those so much. I'm from St. Louis, so I was expecting to experience something close to what I grew up eating w/ the STL ribs. Not so. They weren't bad, just not what I had anticipated. I didn't like the sauce much. The pizza was really good.Special Features:
- Delicious Truffle BurgerInfromthenovaburbsDined on 7/12/2014Five in our party. All great meals. Two of us ordered the mushroom truffle burger. It was great: the smell, the toasted bun, grilled as requested, right amount of grease. Side salad only had greens and two small tomatoes, no dressing although I should have asked for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Little Neighborhood PlaceBinrahVIPDined on 7/11/2014Food is nothing special, but not bad either. On Friday nights they have a live band which makes the evening pleasant. Nice beer, wine and full bar. A fair amount of outdoor seating is available when the weather is nice. My only criticism is the condition of the chairs. The filling is coming out of the chairs which makes the place feel a little unsanitary. Most of the guests didn't appear to mind, but it was somewhat of a turnoff for me. If the chairs are replaced I would definitely increase my ambience rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in the cityScottVIPDined on 7/11/2014I've lived in dc for 8 years and overall this is the best restaurant in DC. Period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014Shaw's Tavern is a great place to go anytime of day. They happily accommodating our group when we made a reservation that day and even sat us outside on a lovely night. The live music on weekends is one of my favorite parts. Thanks Shaw's Tavern!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesdays are the best nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014Half priced burgers on Tuesday are great. 4 drinks and 2 burgers came to $35. Awesome!!! Plus they tasted great. The service was really slow. I suggest booking on opentable to avoid a wait too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 96 reviews are from the Shaw's Tavern reviews archive.
- Jimmy Is the Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Our group of 5 went to Shaw's on Saturday for brunch and had the pleasure of having Jimmy as our server. He was extremely attentive and welcoming. I had the grilled cheese sandwich, which was pretty great. However, my friends were not as satisfied with their meals. The gouda grits were extremely runny, unseasoned and seemingly had no cheese in them. We ended up sending them back. The texture of the cornbread waffle was very crumbly, making it nearly impossible to eat and the chicken (like the grits) was very under seasoned. The hushpuppys were rather dry, but the red velvet french toast was AMAZING. I will definitely come back, however, I will only select from two dishes.Special Features:
- Truly AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2014Had brunch here recently with some friends, STAY AWaY!! The menu was dissapointing, food awful and service even worse. Was really dissapointing.
- Fast becoming a pre-show favoriteKateDVIPDined on 6/18/2014My third visit to Shaw's Tavern did not disappoint. Found myself once again 9:30 Club bound & Shaw's is the perfect spot for pre-show dinner & drinks. Wings delicious. Burger & reg.fries (non truffled, this time) delicious, fun cocktails (strawberry mojito) fantastic. I am looking forward to my next visit and won't be waiting until my next concert outing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great visitKateDVIPDined on 6/7/2014pre-show (at 9:30 Club) dinne was excellent-even got there early enough to enjoy some Happy Jpur Specials. Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for improvememtNYer4LifeDined on 6/7/2014Arrived for a late lunch on a beautiful Saturday and was seated immediately although it was fairly packed inside and out. It was their bottomless mimosa brunch so needless to say the noise level was through the roof, it was Pride weekend, and the dj was spinning. Made for a lively time. However, it took about 20 minutes for a waiter to arrive, not the swiftest delivery of food, and the pizzas for my kids were nothing better than Digiorno you can buy in the freezer section. My Cuke salad was nice and fresh but needed a bit more flavor; the fried green tomatoes were missing something in the remoulade and the tomatoes could've been a bit more ripened. Overall I think it's worth a try during the week for the lunch menu.Special Features:
- good food, but subpar servicecasualbruncherDined on 5/20/2014service was horribly slow this evening. not sure if it was the weather or happy hour specials, but it should not take 30 minutes to get dessert, esp. when it's only strawberry shortcake. thankfully it was tasty, but necessarily worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome chill setting!Jpfhu09Dined on 5/17/2014Great night catching up with old friends. The service was awesome and the food didn't disappoint. I will definitely come baack for brunch or another event filled night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.