Shaw’s Grand Crab Buffet
1900 E Higgins Rd
Schaumburg, IL 60173Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
Shaw’s Grand Crab Buffet
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shawscrabhouse.com/
- Phone: 8475172722
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner:Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining rooms are available for groups of 10 up to 80.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Juache 8475172722x
- Entertainment: On Saturday nights, join us after the Grand Crab Buffet for live music in the Oyster Bar from 9:00 until midnight.
A word from Shaw’s Grand Crab Buffet
Enjoy our Grand Crab Buffet in our upstairs dining room on Saturday evenings, where we offer seasonal varieties of Crab including Alaskan Golden King Crab, Washington Dungeness and Snow Crab. In addition to seasonal crab varieties, we feature a full buffet of our signature items. Begin your evening with hand shucked Oysters, Sushi, Specialty Salads and Shrimp Cocktail. Once your settled in, indulge yourself with Lobster Bisque, Maryland Style Crab Cakes, Jumbo Fried Shrimp, Chicken Parmesan, and seasonal side dishes. Just when you thought you were finished, you will come across our Chef who is ready to carve Roasted Beef Tenderloin and serve our Seasonal Crab just for you. Top it all off at our Sweets Table. Filled with miniature versions of our famous Key Lime, Raspberry & Pecan Pies, but don't be shy, pile your plate high with Specialty Cupcakes, Creme Brulee & more! Also available is a full bar featuring Signature Cocktails, local beer and a full wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shaw’s Grand Crab Buffet reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (13)good for groups (9)fit for foodies (6)great for brunch (5)romantic (5)kid-friendly (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Shaw's Grand Crab BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Overall, had an amazing experience. Only had a couple problems with the buffet. One was that we had to wait about 10-15 min for crab and beef. When it finally became available, the server had an unwelcoming attitude. The sushi was a bit dry. Otherwise, I was able to eat plenty crab and enjoyed every bit of it. The oysters were fresh and oceanic. The veggies and salads were delicious. Make sure you save room for dessert (very hard to do)! Especially the creme brulee and the cupcakes. Can't wait to go back. Kudos to the server, you were very attentive, but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceElenchusDined on 9/13/2014The service was wonderful!!! The food was wonderful!! I'll definitely return. The lobster bisque soup and the crab cakes were my faves. But everything was GREAT!! Next time, I'll try brunch :-)Special Features:
- usually fantasticpaul5776VIPDined on 8/30/2014I could visit Shaw's every other Saturday just for the Grand Crab buffet. For the first time the Crab was short. Dungeoness crab wasn't available and I wouldn't spend the money without it. There is no reduction in cost without it. I will call a head of time next time to make sure.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow servicenicnac54Dined on 8/23/2014The food was fantastic as always but this time the service was extremely slow. The waiter didn't show up until we had been sitting down with our food from the buffet for 10 minutes and then didn't come back after that for another 15-20. Same thing when we asked for the check. It's a small room and they only need to get drinks so I'm not sure why he kept leaving the room for 10-15 mins at a time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Great food, ambiance , and environment. The service was impeccable , and numerous options in the buffetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value for the moneycoaster15Dined on 8/23/2014Food was great. It was replenished every few minutes, so the items on the buffet table were fresh, not sitting out for hours. All prepared great. Presented nice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014The buffet was excellent. It included king, dungeness, and snow crab legs. It also included lobster and brie pasta. Everything was delicious except for the crab dip. I'd definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh seafood, pathetic servicecurlymama17Dined on 7/26/20147:15p reservation, not seated until after 7:40p! Once seated, no one came to take drink order, bring crab dip, or instruct us on buffet items (as hostess stated would occur). The service was lackluster at best, could not even get a dish to discard the cracked shells. There was a point where I had to go in search of the hostess to request more clean plates. This is a CRAB buffet for $60pp, we need plates to eat and bowls for shells!! Service aside, seafood was deliciously fresh. Guy serving the tenderloin and steamed King Crab was very attentive and cut generous portions of meat. He even brought plates of meat/crab to tables when we were waiting for refills on trays. The food was super, the service pathetic.Special Features:
- THPIVIPDined on 6/7/2014Went here on saturday night. Food was very good. Service was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab buffetMortonsdiningexperienceVIPDined on 5/24/2014The upstairs room is where they have the all you can eat crab buffet. They cram as many people, and large parties with small children in. They do not have the desert in the same room as there is no room. The food was ok. I think for the money go to a fine seafood Resturant . The wait staff keeps you waiting. Take a pass.
- The following 38 reviews are from the Shaw’s Grand Crab Buffet reviews archive.
- ExcellentJImmyVIPDined on 5/17/2014The Grand Seafood Buffet at Shaw's Crab is absolutely excellent. The selection was great and everything was really good. The restaurant contacted us and I informed them it was our daughter and son-in-law's 25th anniversary. They helped make it a very memorable evening with flowers and a special desert.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerbizdiner2Dined on 5/17/2014Wife was excited as she had not been to Shaw's in years. First time having the buffet. Variety was adequate and everything tasted pretty good. Ambiance could have been better. Lights were on high and created an odd atmosphere rather than a fine dining experience. Felt rushed to finish the mealI would recommend this to a friend.
- great time, great foodmilkhauler46Dined on 5/10/2014the food was outstanding n the service was just as outstanding, will b comeing back not only for special occasions but for just a night out, best seafood I've had!!!!Special Features:
- Fabulous!outandaboutDined on 4/5/2014Food and service was fabulous. 3 different choices of crab legs. Beef tenderloin was cooked perfect. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- OverallFan2477Dined on 3/29/2014Had the Crab Buffet, it was not worth the price at all. Limited selections, not enough crab, buffet looked like it was from a dated hotel. There was a hair on one of the buffet plates. Not a very nice night out, was expecting more quality.
- Grand Crab BuffetAquaDined on 3/29/2014Excellent Price for all you desire Grand Crab Buffet. Many selections were included like Lobster Bisque and Pasta, several Salads, Oysters, and best of all three types of crab especially the Alaskan King Crab Legs. The Beef Tenderloin was the best I have ever had. Please do not miss the full line of Shaw's fabulous Desserts. Very complete with very attentive service. A most pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageBobbymyersDined on 3/22/2014Decent crab but nothing special. For the price, though, I can't complain.
- Nice to try onceraviVIPDined on 3/22/2014Overall it was an ok experience. The food was nice but I think quality suffers at the sake of quantity. The sushi was really nice, the lobster bisque was excellent, but the snow crab and alaskan crab were just ok. The filet was below average and desserts I did like that things were cut in smaller portions so you can taste a bit of something to see if you like it and not feel wasteful in throwing out food. The spacing on the second floor was very,very cramped and not enough servers. Our server must of been waiting 9+ tables and getting a refill or any service like a bowl to put castaway shell pieces took too much time. She was very competent but serving so many tables by herself meant everyone had slow service. I would try it once.
- The crab buffet was cancelledAjay99Dined on 3/8/2014The crab buffet was cancelled due to a leak. I was not made aware of this so proceeded to eat in the dining room. The crab buffet was priced at 59.00/person and the same items were on the menu at a much higher cost. The food is average at best and the price of the regular menu was very expensive. I would not go back to the restaurant...would only eat here if it was the buffet.
- its all u can eat crsbkarenWheelingDined on 2/15/2014The first time was better. Everything was good but nothing stood out this time. You have lobster bisque, 3 types of sushi, 2 types of oysters, 2 types of shrimp, 2 types of lobster dishes, 3 types of crab and prime rib. Last time we went I thought there was like 8 types of crab which makes sense when you call it a crab buffet. . I know it's pricey but it's a small dining room which gives you a nicer experience, no lines to wait in, and the crab is much fresher..ie it's cooked in small batches so you don't get that rubbery crab like most buffets. So if you want all you can eat without sacrificing quality or fighting huge crowds..this is the place...and try their raspberry tarts..my favoroteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service. Very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 2/14/2014Great service. Very friendly and helpful staff. First time to Grand Buffet and was very Impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- valentine's dayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We wish we could have given this crab buffet 5 stars but when the main course - the crab - is overcooked and dry, its a little hard - everything else was great - just a little disappointing especially when you come for a special occasion - it was our anniversary and valentine's day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was poorIzzy23Dined on 12/24/2013This is the third year I've taken my family and friends out for Christmas Eve buffet at Shaw's. This year the service was poor. We had to repeatedly flag down the waiter for coffee, ice tea or water. He would run through the dining room and not even look at the table. 20 or 30 minutes would go by and you would not even see him. The food was outstanding but the desserts were not good. As compared to last year, they cut the number of desserts and the quality was not present in most of them. For the amount of money spent, almost $500 bucks, there should be outstanding service and ALL the food should be top notch. Everyone had the same impression and we will probably go someplace else next year for Christmas Eve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grand Crab BuffetChristineBDined on 12/21/2013Shaw's Grand Crab Buffet is something everyone must experience at least once in their lifetimes! It is AWESOMELY DELICIOUS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My "birthday" dinnerFrostyDined on 11/30/2013This was my "birthday" dinner a week early! The staff was outstanding, they did everything to make it special for me (no reservations were available on my birthday due to parties.) The food was great, I loved the crab - all of it. I plan to return as soon as the weather is better (snow every weekend) Again, great staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Seafood OutingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/23/2013Enjoy the buffet at Shaw's. It was our second time attending and we brought our friends to celebrate our Anniversaries. They enjoyed it too. You should like to eat lots of seafood or it would not be worth the price. If that is something you enjoy, this is the place for you. Also had a wonderful gentleman carving at the beef station who helped to make our evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sliding downhillfrequentdinerVIPDined on 11/23/2013My wife and I have been going and bringing guests since Shaw's opened the buffet. Until recent the buffet has been treated like any other table at Shaws. The last two times service is much more like Denys. The assistant chefs attending the buffet and bus staff are great, the waitstaff, however, is either too busy, too disconnected or both. Drinks and checks are the only responsibility of the waitstaff and the last two visits didn't go well, this one in particular. It's great that a waitress can work well into maternity, assuming she can handle it or management is willing to augment her duties. This was NOT the case Saturday, I had to waive for drinks including coffee, which sat empty longer than full. It took 15 minutes to get a check.
- DisappointmentCosmoDined on 11/16/2013Very disappointing after having enjoying it at a summer Sat. Nite. No lobster was served as it was last time And there were no clams. Service was just ok. Would not go back.
- Decent Food / High PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2013We had the grand buffet and had higher expectations based on the price per person. They ran out of King Crab legs repeatedly and many of the other selections were often bare for 15-20 minute intervals at a time. We've had the brunch several times in the past and the quality of food and level of service was much better during brunch than during the Sat night buffet. The overall selections were also pretty limited for a buffet with such a high price point.
- Good but PricyHeatherDined on 9/7/2013The sushi was really good and fresh. Our service was slow and we didnt even get a bread basket. I thought the main course was a little over priced for what we got.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flawlessFoodmanDined on 8/30/2013EVERYTHING WAS PEFECT FROM THE VALET TO THE DINING. THE FOOD WAS PERFECT ME AND THE FAMILY JUST FELL IN LOVE WITH EVERTHING. WE WILL BE BACK EVERYTIME WE VISIT THE SCHAUMBURG AREASpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much better the second time around!Kitty624Dined on 8/17/2013My husband and I had been to Shaw's Crab buffet for his birthday in June and returned with a group of six for another occasion this past weekend. Everything was very good, from the food to the service. I'm sure we'll be back again, as it gets consistently better each time~Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceDbldVIPDined on 8/10/2013Great food and exceptional service. Always a pleasure.Special Features:
- Wonderous buffetjnfrankDined on 7/27/2013The Saturday night lobster and crab buffet is a gem, it reminded us of our honeymoon in Maine when lobsters were our daily fare. And the wait staff were all wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shaw's Grand Crab Buffet isCrabGourmetVIPDined on 7/13/2013Shaw's Grand Crab Buffet is a very special experience. There are multiple kinds of crab available, including empress claws, mini crab cakes, Dungeness and King Crab. There are seafood deviled eggs. During July there is also lobster bisque and steamed lobster available and lobster claws and a lobster pasta dish. There are some sushi choices. There is a prime cut of beef as a meat option. Solid desserts. The experience is crab heaven. Service is excellent. Items are replenished so they do not run out. Whoever conceived this idea should be commended. To have such an amazing choice in the Chicago area, which is not on a coast, is really incredible. We had no idea that this experience would be so amazing. A lot of attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buffet is worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/13/2013Great variety and value. We would defi itely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take Advantage of Sunday BrunchJaseDined on 7/12/2013We have gone to Shaw's Sunday brunch several times now and they are consistently very good with their service and their food. There is a nice variety of food available to cater to different tastes. It is well worth the price for the amount and types of food offered. At the time we had a variety of crab claws & lobster along with other seafood dishes. The dessert table was great for all ages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long driveYummyDined on 7/5/2013Long drive to Schaumburg, but my husband loves crab legs. For him it was worth the trip. So we'll be going again...Special Features:
- going down hillcheewuDined on 6/28/2013i was at Shaw's for the buffet on 28 june. my wife and i were excited about lobster month and that the buffet would also have lobster. my wife and i have been to the grand buffet several times previously and never had a bad experience. this time was completely different. the buffet dining room was basically cut in half in the way of food, space to eat and service. i get that it is a buffet so the server is just really there to get you a beverage and explain everything. none of that happened. we went to the bar to get sodas. the dining area had been cut in half. the other part of the regular room was cut off. the food was scattered about in two rooms. the lobster was not good. it will be hard to return to Shaw's for the buffet.Special Features:
- Shaws needs to step it upOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/7/2013Must have been a bad night. We've done Shaw's in the past and couldn't wait to go back. The service was lacking. We checked in for our reservation and were sent upstairs and told to see another host/hostess. The stand was unmanned and had to grab a waiter. Ordered drinks....20 mins later they arrived. They seemed short staffed. Food tables were sparse, and if you wanted a lobster, be ready to fight. they would bring out 6-8 lobsters at a time, allow people to take two, and make others wait 20 mins for another batch. Getting your water glass filled was difficult. The dessert table was half full, and even after waiting 15 mins nothing else came out. Seemed like we were taking end of night scraps, but it was 730pm.I would recommend this to a friend.