Shaw's Crab House - Chicago
21 East Hubbard St.
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Shaw's Crab House - Chicago
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.shawscrabhouse.com/
- Phone: 3125272722
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday Lunch: 11:30am - 2pm; Monday - Thursday Dinner: 5:30pm - 10pm; Friday - Saturday Dinner: 5pm - 11pm; Sunday Dinner: 5pm - 9pm.
Sunday Brunch Buffet: 10:00am - 1:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Yves Roubaud
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Call for details
- Private Party Facilities: For groups of 20 or more, we recommend getting a banquet menu available through our catering director.
- Private Party Contact: Dana Armon 3125272722
- Entertainment: Live Music in the Oyster Bar 3 Nights a Week!
Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday Nights, 7pm--No Cover!
- Special Events: Now serving Hotel-Style Sunday Brunch featuring classic breakfast fare, Chef prepared omelets & waffles and Shaw's specialties. Save room for the decadent sweet table!
A word from Shaw's Crab House - Chicago
Big and Bustling, Shaw's Crab House stands as a monument to fish and seafood. Besides the usual popular dishes, Shaw's management team is passionate about presenting treats such as Pacific salmon, fresh king crab, and smelt during their short seasons. Reservations made through Open Table will be for Shaw's Main Dining Room. If you would like to dine in the Oyster Bar, all seating is on a first come first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Shaw's Crab House - Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Shaw's Crab House - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
756 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (432)good for groups (305)fit for foodies (279)neighborhood gem (176)romantic (176)vibrant bar scene (149)notable wine list (146)great for lunch (136)hot spot (130)great for brunch (106)kid-friendly (58)late-night find (35)scenic view (12)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great place for a good lobsterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Loved the lobster and the service was great. The ambiance was excelent . Dont forget to make a reservation as it is quite full at dinner time.Special Features:
- Shaws ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Outstanding fresh seafood, oysters, crab appetizers and yellow fin tuna. Brad our waiter most helpful ( 17 years at Shaws ) You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2014Excellent food, great service and our 5 year old loved the crab legs! Well done Shaws.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014reminds me of an "old" (in a good way) 1920s-1930s restaurant - very nice atmosphere and nice staff. Food was good. even though there was a 3 page menu, the fish/shellfish selection was limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overratedsnc215Dined on 9/19/2014The food was mediocre. I ordered halibut steak which was supposed to be grilled and arrived baked, overlooked, and under seasoned with the consistency of sawdust. When I returned it I waited 20 minutes for a replacement. I decided on salmon. The salmon was undercooked and under seasoned. I did have a teaspoon of sauce in a tiny dish on the plate which lasted for one bite. I did not send it back but left immediately and will not return.
- Awesome venue!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014Brought my boss from out of town here and we had a great time on a Thursday night with live blues music, great booze and delicious fried garlic shrimp, sushi and raw oysters. Yum! We highly recommend this as a fun place with awesome food and wonderful service! A real Chicago gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Evening!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Best meal we had in Chicago. Would go back next time we visit Chicago. Simply delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014Too much hustle and bustle .. They tried to serve us some one else's food. They kept setting huge trays down near my head. Very uncomfortable. Too hurried.
- Early dinner at Shaw's Crab HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014We happened to walk by Shaw's Crab House on our first visit to Chicago in more than 30 years and thought it looked like a good place to get some seafood. It's entrance is on a rather gloomy lower-level street, but it's a much more extensive restaurant than it appears from the outside. My wife made a complete meal of a crab cake appetizer and salad, while I had an excellent yellow fin tuna. She said it was the best crab cake she can remember eating (and we lived in Alexandria, VA, from 1992-2000 and often ate in my home town of Annapolis!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If Fish is you thingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014Shaws is a Classic restaurant. The best fish in the Midwest. First class great service. Perfect for business and large groups.Special Features:
- In town visit!Dick83Dined on 9/16/2014Wow, what a place for fresh seafood in the heart of the country. The menu is almost overwhelming.....but for a first timer try the Shaw Seafood Platter...sauteed, not fried. Wash it down with a Ferrari Carrano Fume Blanc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Very good Restaurant. The Crab legs amazing and The Service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AACBBABCGBTGOGDined on 9/15/2014Excellent food and superb service. Allison, Melissa and Antonio particularly make you feel welcome and well taken care of. It is not an act, they really care about the customers. The kitchen and bar all work hard to accommodate special request. And the jazz music playing is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKennethDined on 9/14/2014On the advice of the of the hotel we found what is more likly Chicago's top restaurant for sea food, total experince was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Excellent Brunch BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014Everything on the buffet was top quality. The king crab, oysters, crab cakes, beef tenderloin and much more were good enough to be made to order dishes and not typical buffet fare taste or quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising Great BrunchEAdinerDined on 9/14/2014I have always enjoyed dinner/late night dining here,and now amazed with Brunch! I got an email Brunch invite, and decided to check it out. I went with my family(some of whom dressed quite casually) including 2 kids. The brunch was spectacular both pleasing to the eye and palate. The kids had plenty of things to enjoy-not the least of which was a sweet table including cotton candy!! The adults were equally pleased from the omelette/waffle station, to the carved tenderloin, king crab legs with drawn butter, maki and MUCH MORE!! The cost was reasonable in general, but as kids EAT FREE, felt like a steal. Will most definitely return with MORE people all dressed much nicer. PS they were quite kind and accepting about the hoodie dress faux pas!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- King crab and Oysters were amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Definitely worth going just for those two food items, but the drinks and desserts were also really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab is where's it's at.FoodwoodDined on 9/13/2014Our waitress recommended both the King Salmon and red crab. The salmon was a little cloying, too sweet for my liking. The hot crab, completely cut open and served with drawn butter was delectable. Definitely a great recommendation. The place is gigantic and was packed on a Saturday nioght when we arrived at 8:30 and still packed when we left around 10:00. It is big and impersonal but the service was very good and the crab worth the trip. The fired clamari were also delicious, perhaps a bit bready but with an excellent flavor and the oysters also wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Chicago EateryTravelSkiBoatDined on 9/13/2014If you want the Chicago experience this could be it. We asked for a quiet table in our reservation and were given a booth which was much quieter than being in the general open area. Food and service were above average.Special Features:
- Not what I was expecting...Chicago5yrAnniWeekendDined on 9/13/2014We were crammed in the back if the dinning room on top of a four top and a two top. It was our anniversary and could not sit next to each other or feel romantic as he was on the other side of the table and the people were so close we were part of their conversations. Service was friendly but very slow. Our second drink didn't come till our last two bits of food and it took 20 to get our bill after our drinks were gone. Very expensive for the horrible service and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Very happyhoosiertravelerDined on 9/12/2014Great everything. Set in the Oyster Bar where the customers were as entertaining as the staff was on spot. From the host to server we were treated courteously and efficiently. We just had apps after a concert. Oysters, clam chowder, and hot shrimp. All were very good..Special Features:
- Shaw's never disappointsRoadWarriorDined on 9/12/2014Shaw's is a Chicago gem. In my twenty plus years visiting Chicago, I always dine at Shaw's at least once, the food is always fresh. Highly recommend the seafood tower as a starter, and potatoes au gratin as a side dish with your entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014We were a party of 11. The place was mobbed but our service was excellent and the food was delicous. Everyone enjoyed their meal.Special Features:
- Shaw's never disappoints!citygalDined on 9/12/2014Have been going to Shaw's for years and the excellent food and service are always consistently well done! Love the ambiance. It's a large restaurant but still offers cozy corners for quiet conversation. It's also great for business entertaining.Special Features:
- Noisy, good seafoodMamaDined on 9/11/2014Vibrant and noisy. Food was excellent. Service was excellent. Waiter was willing to pace the meal according to our wishes. I would recommend this place as long as you are not looking for a quiet dining experience. My husband had the King crab and it was superb!Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceLucy8438VIPDined on 9/11/2014The seafood at Shaw's is always outstanding, and the service was wonderful! Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureMrsDVIPDined on 9/11/2014We always have a wonderful dining experience at Shaw's and once again they delivered. Sublime food, top class service - everyone should eat here!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a favoriteHifeatsDined on 9/11/2014We've gone to Shaw's for year [decades]. It still is one of our favorites. Oysters are wonderful as are most of the fish dishes. The room can get packed but the noise level isn't too bad. Kudos to Shaw's for keeping the music level and selection to the right level. It won't be an inexpensive evening so save it for a special event.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/10/2014Wife and I were looking forward to a nice dinner because we both love seafood. I ordered the black grouper. The fish had to be sent back because it was not fully cooked. Grouper came back overcooked. My wife ordered the fish combo platter. Crab cake and scallops were excellent. Shrimp was over cooked. At these prices you would think they could get it right.
- Great bar atmospherefoodloverDined on 9/9/2014Mickey and Cameron behind the bar is the dream team! Awesome night.Special Features:
- Always a winnerTravelingForWorkDined on 9/8/2014Every time I visit Shaw's it seems better than I remember it. It is one of my favorite spots in Chicago. The food is outstanding, the service is excellent and the bar scene is a lot of fun. Always a great place to bring friends or clients!Special Features:
- Consiostently superiorEFredVIPDined on 9/8/2014As always, it is a wonderful dining experience in every respect, be it lunch, brunch, or dinner.Special Features:
- Outstanding oysters and crabOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/7/2014There aren't many places like this outside of Chicago, so I make it a point to eat here whenever I'm in town on business. The place was jammed so the service was slow, and the food is somewhat overpriced, but the food quality was excellent. I'll go next time I'm in town too.Special Features:
- Great EnergyFoodie4lifeDined on 9/7/2014I always enjoy myself at Shaws. The lighting and colors in the main dining area are very pleasing. The food is done very well and the service was outstanding. My only critique would be that I wish the restaraunt did a better job of offering more variety in the fish choices. The inclusion of a well prepared Chilean Sea Bass, Halibut or Grouper would be a great addition.Special Features:
- Best Brunch in Chicago!JohnsonVIPDined on 9/7/2014The service was wonderful and the food is always delicious. This is a great place to take family and friends or out of town guest.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceKussDined on 9/6/2014Shaw's did a great job with everything. I requested a romantic table and the delivered. Excellent food, excellent service, go there you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Amazing, as alwaysRAHAINDined on 9/6/2014Fabulous food, and always too notch service. I hosted my sister's bachelorette party here, and it was a great place for a special occasion dinner, and just lively enough for the group that we had :) A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okDianeHenDined on 9/6/2014We went to Shaw's for our 29th wedding anniversary. We were looking for a delicious lobster and crab dinner. I ordered the Surf and Surf which is a lobster tail and crab. It was literally one king crab leg cut into 4 pieces and a lobster tail. Not worth the $65 price at all. We also ordered the au gratin potatoes. They were undercooked and looked like a plate of saganaki, very unappealing. My husband ordered the blue crab stuffed lobster which he really liked...thank goodness. We were not impressed with the room. There were ceiling tiles missing, and some were repaired but looked terrible...really disappointing. I can now say I've been to Shaw's, but have no need to go back or recommend.
- Delicious once againluxlifeoneDined on 9/6/2014I don't recall our servers name. I don't think she had a name badge on, but she was THE best!!! Her attention to service and detailed explanation of menu items was on point. I have to try something other than the twin lobster tails next time I go. I love the food, the service, the drinks, I just wish the noise level could be abated a little. BUT it is an older place and the noise level will not stop me from going back.Special Features:
- TastelessTastebudsDined on 9/6/2014Ordered the halibut and it tasted like jello without flavoring. Ordered the peach cobbler and to my surprise the skins were on the peaches. Highly unusual. Northwest has much better seafood (e.g. Ray's Boathouse, Anthony's) and desserts.Special Features: