Shaw's Crab House - Chicago
21 East Hubbard St.
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Shaw's Crab House - Chicago
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.shawscrabhouse.com/
- Phone: (312) 527-2722
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday Lunch: 11:30am - 2pm; Monday - Thursday Dinner: 5:30pm - 10pm; Friday - Saturday Dinner: 5pm - 11pm; Sunday Dinner: 5pm - 9pm.
Sunday Brunch Buffet: 10:00am - 1:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Yves Roubaud
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private dining space with rooms with space for up to 12, up to 30, up to 80 and up to 150/400 for a full Oyster Bar or Main Dining Room buyout! Call 312-527-2722 and ask for Kate or Ruthann
- Private Party Facilities: For groups of 14 or more, we recommend getting a large party menu available through our catering director.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Van Fossan 3125272722x
- Entertainment: Live Music in the Oyster Bar 5 Nights a Week!
Sunday-Thursday, 7pm--No Cover!
- Special Events: Now serving Hotel-Style Sunday Brunch featuring classic breakfast fare, Chef prepared omelets & waffles and Shaw's specialties. Save room for the decadent sweet table!
A word from Shaw's Crab House - Chicago
Big and Bustling, Shaw's Crab House stands as a monument to fish and seafood. Besides the usual popular dishes, Shaw's management team is passionate about presenting treats such as Pacific salmon, fresh king crab, and smelt during their short seasons. Reservations made through Open Table will be for Shaw's Main Dining Room. If you would like to dine in the Oyster Bar, all seating is on a first come first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Shaw's Crab House - Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Shaw's Crab House - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
811 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (463)good for groups (354)fit for foodies (347)romantic (201)neighborhood gem (193)vibrant bar scene (170)notable wine list (157)hot spot (150)great for lunch (145)great for brunch (128)kid-friendly (58)late-night find (48)scenic view (15)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- Never disappointedKesacat3Dined on 11/19/2014From the moment we enter the restaurant until we leave...Shaw's does not disappoint us. Oysters are a fun beginning and the other choiices are abundant. Even the steaks are exceptional. The wines offer a sufficient choice and the services adds to the quality of experiences. Try it once and you'll find the experience will call you back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to deliver memorable meals.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/17/2014I took a Japanese business colleague here at his request and was very glad I did. Best crab legs in Chicago, impeccably prepared, grest oysteroysters and very prompt service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adam Has A Sense of Humor!JohnDined on 11/17/2014As usual the food was wonderful and our server, Adam, was very knowledgable and he also has a great sense of humor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dinner!!StickybeansDined on 11/16/2014The waitress said that the scallops would be the best we had ever eaten, and she was right!! Just wonderful food. Also really enjoyed the AuGratin potatoes. A must for seafood lovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch at ShawsMarieChristineDined on 11/16/2014Went to Shaw's on a quick getaway with my husband. We both really enjoyed the crab, the sushi was quite good, and we ate more shrimp, and crab that you can shake a crab leg at. The host and servers were lovely, the environment unique, and it was a very memorable experience in Chicago. Highly recommend that if you are in town, stop by and get a feel of Chicago's heydey and enjoy some great seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysMWSeemVIPDined on 11/16/2014A superb Sunday Brunch, highlighted with oysters on the half-shell, shrimp on ice, cold crab claws and legs, and some excellent sushi. Followed by fresh salads, and then a full buffet of hot foods; from steamed crab legs to roast beef to crab cakes to excellent crab macaroni/cheese. The caramelized bacon is perfect. End the meal with selections of various desserts, appropriately sized for ending the best buffet in Chicago...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionGalaGalDined on 11/16/2014Great management, staff, service and food. Very smooth operation. What a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service, lovely setting.DrDarthDined on 11/15/2014We had reservations for four on Saturday night and when we arrived, there was a long line. However we were seated on time. The decor is "old school" and very comfortable. Attentive and very knowledgeable wait staff. The surf and surf, king crab legs, scallops and grouper were all outstanding. We very much appreciated the subdued noise level. "Hip" restaurants could take a lesson here. Soft surfaces are much better and allow conversation without shouting. Probably one of our best Chicago dining experiences. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just the bestShellyVIPDined on 11/15/2014This is our family's go to restaurant in Chicago. Great in every waySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite in ChicagoJimWVIPDined on 11/15/2014We have had dinner here before and try to go when in ChicagoI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for foodies!TaraDined on 11/14/2014We celebrated my husbands birthday there on a friday night and it was perfect! The place is fancy but friendly. The food is delicious...everything from soups, appetizers to main courses. Our server Patrick was great, cute helpfull and friendly...The place was packed and had a really good vibe...good for celebrations, special occasions, groups and romantic dinners...We will definately come back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good See FoodSchorseDined on 11/14/2014Typical Chicago Surf and Turf. You better book a table as it tends to be very busy. It's not a fine dining place but very good food and a lifely athmosphered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Nantucket ScallopsBuckeye85Dined on 11/14/2014We love the Nantucket Scallops! We try to get back every year when they are in season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awkward SeatingTinaschDined on 11/14/2014The food was really good, the service was outstanding! My only gripe is the tables are so close together. We sat near the corner and was practically seated with another couple. We definitely couldn't hold a private conversation. The seating was just very awkward.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall ok!luvfinediningVIPDined on 11/13/2014Service, oysters and crab excellent! Maine lobster tail overdone! It had been under the heat lamp too long making it chewy! Good wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated with poor service.PDS81Dined on 11/13/2014The dinner started out with good appetizers of calamari and oysters on the half shell. We then waited almost 40 minutes for our entrees of Shaw's seafood platter and Whitefish that were fairly tasteless, uninteresting, and served lukewarm. One of the managers was very apologetic and did send a mixed desert platter to our table. The deserts were similar to the entrees. Uninteresting and served lukewarm. The restaurant was not overly busy. Maybe they were just having a bad night.
- Great seafoodmdinerDined on 11/12/2014Always loved this place, and will return again. Waitstaff is very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. Food is outstanding, and brunch is a must, if you've never been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheHallsDined on 11/11/2014Everything was good. We We're here for lunch. Everything except the desserts they are very (emphasize the very small!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantasticTAK42796Dined on 11/10/2014Shaw's is always fantastic. It is a Chicago classic and definitely worth the visit. The menu is extensive and it makes it difficult to choose. You can also hear live music in the oyster bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodBobbingontheriverDined on 11/9/2014Best selection of seafood I've ever seen. Also, the lobster bisque is terrific, and I couldn't believe I ate all of that king crab and oysters.Special Features:
- Excellent Sunday brunch buffetsandiVIPDined on 11/9/2014Stopped by here Sunday and almost left because of the big buffet, but then we looked at the buffet and were amazed at the selections! So much food, and so much variety. Its not cheap at $55 per person, but its a steal for what you get. Go hungry and stay awhile with a bottle of wine.Special Features:
- BrunchChicagodinerDined on 11/9/2014I've been here twice for brunch and I truly believe it's the best brunch buffet you'll find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duahgter's visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014My two daughters were in town for business with All State....they have never been in cold weather or even seen snow! My wife and I wanted to take them to the best seafood place in Chicago...Shaw's certainly filled that bill and then some. Our waiter was super suggesting things and answering our questionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good. Something for all.MomSaysVIPDined on 11/8/2014Have a little. Have a lot. Good drinks, sushi, oysters, fish, steaks, sides, desserts. Never disappointed. Expert service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exellent as always!BarryDined on 11/8/2014Another wonderful experience at Shaw's! That's why we come to Chicago!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014Very good seafood and handles large groups with ease.Special Features:
- Outstanding AGAINhardtopleaseDined on 11/8/2014Shaws never fails to deliver. We were seated right away and all of the staff treated us like royalty. The crab legs melt in your mouth. Will we be back -----------------oh yea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shaw's Crab House, ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Shaw's is a classic. Food and service are always excellent. The place exudes reliability and relaxed confidence. Dining there is always a treat of the highest order.Special Features:
- Excellent food!LowvalueVIPDined on 11/8/2014We loved the food. Service was a little slow, but the menu had a large variety and he crab cakes were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great crab!NickyDined on 11/7/2014We shared a couple of the platters and a crab between the 4 of us and it was perfect. Amazing crab! Would def recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great ExperienceMKEtravelerDined on 11/7/2014I have been to Shaw's several times over many years and they consistently have the best seafood in the country and the best service. The meal was well paced, the food and service excellent, and the location distinctive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to Joes!SneezeVIPDined on 11/7/2014Crab cake was wonderful ! Main courses were just ok. I've certainly eaten better scallops and cauliflower purée was pasty and salty. Also unattractive presentation. My husband's fish was just ok. Spinach was great. Maybe we would return for appetizers only.Special Features:
- Solid and consistent seafood in classic atmosphereBillNVIPDined on 11/7/2014Having had either lunch or dinner at Shaw's every time I've been in Chicago in the past decade, I was surprised to recently learn it's only 30 years old. It looks and feels like a well-maintained classic from deep into the past century. Solid, enjoyable experiences are to be had at the oyster bar, the drink bar, or the main dining room. It hasn't disappointed us yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nantucket Scallops!SuperpamVIPDined on 11/7/2014We went to Shaw's Crab House for a bon voyage dinner for my nephew, and we were happy to discover that the Nantucket Scallops were in season. Two of us ordered them and they were melt-in-your-mouth delicious. The mac&cheese side was the same, delicious and could have eaten the entire dish, but the au gratin potatoes were not tasty. The ambiance is very New England and a bit stuffy, but the food and service made up for anything lacking in the decor department. It's pricey, but felt like the meal was worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great foodnomi2623Dined on 11/6/2014This is the second time I have been here. Both times I have taken my love here for his birthday. He loved it so much the first time, I felt this place would be his birthday dinner every year as a tradition. The food is great. Perfectly cooked, both the entree and the cold dishes. Drinks were made great and they comp a nice Birthday dessert. It's just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only perfect...NancyBVIPDined on 11/6/2014Shaw's was, as it always is, sheer perfection. Great service, fresh and delicious seafood, and a warm, inviting atmosphere, it simply does not get any better. Every time I visit Chicago, Shaw's is on my must do list. This trip it was for lunch. The chowder was the best I've ever had, the oysters were fantastic, and the seafood salad was loaded with goodies and could easily have fed two people. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:
- Consistently goodeattomuchDined on 11/5/2014It's just a great restaurant which has been around for years and always pleases. Whether it's dinner in the main dining room or lunch at the oyster bar the service and food is tops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always on my list!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Whenever I am in downtown Chicago for trade shows, this is the place I go for my 'great seafood night'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014Excellent food, great service, sown experience! If we could go back 100 times we would!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service conquers allEatOutDined on 11/3/2014This has been our go-to spot for seafood for many years. We were there on a Monday night celebrating our 35th anniversary. The service and food were impeccable, as usual. The wait staff was attentive and responsive. My complaint has to do with the wait. We were on time (5 minutes early) for our reservation and were handed one of those pagers. We were seated 20 minutes later. The place was crowded and noisy. I don't know if the various groups paged ahead of us had reservations but it did get to be a bit irritating. Is it that making a reservation simply insures you a seat? Is 20 minutes reasonable? The irritation was forgotten with the appetizer - crab fingers. Cold but tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.