Shaw's Crab House - Chicago
21 East Hubbard St.
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Shaw's Crab House - Chicago
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.shawscrabhouse.com/
- Phone: 3125272722
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday Lunch: 11:30am - 2pm; Monday - Thursday Dinner: 5:30pm - 10pm; Friday - Saturday Dinner: 5pm - 11pm; Sunday Dinner: 5pm - 9pm.
Sunday Brunch Buffet: 10:00am - 1:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Yves Roubaud
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Call for details
- Private Party Facilities: For groups of 20 or more, we recommend getting a banquet menu available through our catering director.
- Private Party Contact: Dana Armon 3125272722
- Entertainment: Live Music in the Oyster Bar 3 Nights a Week!
Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday Nights, 7pm--No Cover!
- Special Events: Now serving Hotel-Style Sunday Brunch featuring classic breakfast fare, Chef prepared omelets & waffles and Shaw's specialties. Save room for the decadent sweet table!
A word from Shaw's Crab House - Chicago
Big and Bustling, Shaw's Crab House stands as a monument to fish and seafood. Besides the usual popular dishes, Shaw's management team is passionate about presenting treats such as Pacific salmon, fresh king crab, and smelt during their short seasons. Reservations made through Open Table will be for Shaw's Main Dining Room. If you would like to dine in the Oyster Bar, all seating is on a first come first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Shaw's Crab House - Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Shaw's Crab House - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
735 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (422)good for groups (289)fit for foodies (257)romantic (175)neighborhood gem (163)vibrant bar scene (140)great for lunch (139)notable wine list (135)great for brunch (122)hot spot (115)kid-friendly (59)late-night find (32)scenic view (9)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Seafood delightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014We were celebrating my wife's birthday and see loves seafood. I had salmon and she had surf and turf. I typically do not trust steak at a seafood place, but it was very juicy and flavorful. For the appetizer we had the cold combination and everything was great from the shripm, oysters, crab, and lobster. We will definitely dine at Shaw's again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014We had been recommended to dine here and were excited to be able to try different types of seafood than we get at home. We had oysters, Alaskan crab and a variety of Santa Barbara crab. Mains were grouper and shrimp. The 2 varieties of crab were dry, but we are unsure whether this was due to over cooking, being prepared hours earlier or indicative of the type of crab. The grouper and shrimp were wonderful. Service was awful. Starters arrived within 5minutes of ordering, mains arrived before our starter plates had been cleared. Turning our table over was the priority. Our wine glasses were not refilled. My husband's main plates were cleared while I was still eating. The service no to the standard of a restaurant where the meal cost $260.
- Great oystersJaeMLDined on 8/31/2014Two of us had a pleasant dinner ... Oysters and garlic shrimp were great, wouldn't recommend the crab cakes, but the green beans were awesome. Still one of my very favorite Chicago restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeanVIPDined on 8/31/2014We have been to Shaw's many times and love it. But we were a bit disappointed in the Brunch. While there was lots of very yummy items, by Noon, the seafood (cold and hot) tasted less than fresh.Special Features:
- Excellent seafood and brunchLuvfoodDined on 8/31/2014One word: amazing! This is our first time brunching at Shaws recommended by a friend and we were blown away! The food is so fresh and so good! Everything was just perfect! We love it and would recommend everyone to experience it in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Went for my anniversary and we made reservations, literally seated us as we walked in. They keep their word when they confirm a reservation, expect to be seated at that time. Great service and the food is excellent. They truly will accommodate you in any way (substitutions, extras, etc). Prices are high but well worth it. Great special occasion fine dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- legacyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014very old and tired decor. Service is outstanding, food pricing is a little high even at Chicago standards. Call you food was excellent, but it is clearly a seafood joint rather than beef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shaws crab house chicago standbyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014quality and sevice you can trust time and time again. A chicago institution.Special Features:
- It was okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014The reviews were great however my experience was average. The asiago cheese rolls were the highlight of the night. Our server provided incorrect information about one of the dishes so when it arrived there was disappointed but he later apologized. The food was prepared in a timely manner and the cocktails were very good. So overall the food was okay as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but prices are highAnneDined on 8/29/2014This is a great place but the price is high. 3 crab claws were $84. If you are ok with the pricing than you would have a nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Seafood HouseTrnrmomVIPDined on 8/29/2014Seafood in Chicago? Yes, most of it is flown in, but the specials are fresh. And the preparation is very well done. Our party's consensus was that the seafood pasta, yellowtail tuna, & steak stood out. Good bread, excellent key lime and blueberry peach cobbler.Special Features:
- Great place to eatNjoygoodfoodDined on 8/25/2014Was recommended by a friend. Excellent recommendation. Service and food was great. A little pricey, but worth it. Easy to get reservations. Nice spot for a couple or groupSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/25/2014fantastic fish and great service management very accessible as wellSpecial Features:
- Great seafood!Foodie84Dined on 8/25/2014Great seafood, well-prepared in the heart of downtown Chicago! The service was impeccable and started off with rolls that could have been prepared by my Grandmother. They were delicous, flaky and moist and topped with cheese. The restaurant was full on a Monday night and I understand why. Best seafood in the heartland!Special Features:
- Fantastic brunch!OliviaDined on 8/24/2014I love this place. I've been to the brunch a handful of times and I'm never disappointed. So delicious and fantastic! Live the Bloody Mary bar too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServicejaybirdDined on 8/23/2014There were 6 of us in the party and when we arrived on a Saturday evening, our table was waiting for us with no waiting. While a bit pricey, the food was exceptional from the entrees to the side dishes and service was absolutely top notch. Excellent choice for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Always Delicious!PlazaResidentVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great service, great food. Our favorite place when visiting Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DishesVivanolaDined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed everything. Grilled grouper was a little overdone.Special Features:
- 1st time at Shaw's. Will be backChicagoDined on 8/23/2014Our server Mike, was outstanding. He was knowledgable about the restaurant and the menu. We had a great night with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!woohooVIPDined on 8/22/2014Celebrated a birthday and had great food; mussels were probably the best we ever had, oyster rockerfeller and king crab were very good. Service was excellent, everyone was very attentive. The place was packed and the next door Oyster Bar was buzzing. Thumbs up, loved it.Special Features:
- Absolutely Fantastic!DWW3Dined on 8/22/2014You will enjoy this wonderful dining experience. The fresh seafood is delightful and the service is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Srumptious Shaws!MoonRiver1VIPDined on 8/22/2014I had been working a lot of hours and decided to splurge on a dinner at Shaw's. Although pricey, the seafood is absolutely scrumptious! Make sure you make a reservation as they are always packed and it is easy to understand why. Great service; great everything - one of Lettuce Entertain You Restaurants finest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bethelDined on 8/22/2014Excellent crab bites and seafood platter. Service fast and friendly.
- shaws/dinner 8/22/14OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014Started out with an order of 12 oysters in oyster bar--6 from east coast, 6 from west coast. The west coast ones were not good--a rather unpleasant taste. Dinner was good however, the st george scallops were not cooked quite enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crabs galore4foodwilltravelDined on 8/21/2014The place makes good on its title. Soft shell crab was a gem of a dish; king crab legs were good but Boston has one up on them. Lobster was excellent and overall experience above satisfactory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and atmosphereNigelDined on 8/21/2014Very much as expected. Good seafood, well prepared. Helpful and attentive staff in a pleasant, traditional atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodRobertDined on 8/21/2014Service was great and so was the food.................................................Special Features:
- Always greatSimplestuffDined on 8/21/2014Consistently good food, and service. Had the salmon. It was fresh and flavorful.Special Features:
- very nice!bestseafoodspotDined on 8/20/2014Being from MD, we were surprised to find a seafood friendly spot of quality in Chicago. Additionally, our server Eric was so attentive and flowing with what we look for in a restaurant, "anticipatory customer service". Worth a revisit during our next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a solid choicerak350Dined on 8/19/2014I had a conference in the area and took a group of business associates to dinner @ Shaw's. It had been a couple of years since I last dined there. I was happy to see the food quality was still there and everyone enjoyed their meals.Special Features:
- excellent as alwaysfoodloverVIPDined on 8/19/2014I have been here many times and taking out of town family out for fun. You can't go wrong here. I am as picky about the atmosphere as the food. Oysters....great as always. Clam chowder....excellent. We also had the Tuna Tartar and spicy tuna roll sushi. One person in our group With Pouilly- Fuisse bottle of French chardonnay. It was all amazing. So that should tell you about the atmosphere.....retro which in my mind is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shaws is still excellent but...TBAISDDined on 8/19/2014The food, as always, was outstanding. Some service issues however: 1. The host kept trying to put couples (like ourselves) in a cramped table with a large party next door (he didn't say no when I asked for another table but he did give me "the face") 2. We told the waiter my husband needed gluten free foods. He ordered a salad and it came full of croutons-we sent it back without any problems.Special Features:
- delicious foodpjinchicagoVIPDined on 8/19/2014Loved our seafood selections, blue crab,halibut and grouperI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!NokianDined on 8/18/2014This place is just plain awesome. You enter to a jazz classy surrounding with friendly hostess that appoint you a electronic device that buzz when your reservation is ready if any delay. You can go have a drink to the bar with a tv or 2 if you wanna watch a ball game Then when its ready they bring you to the tables side again with red comfy leather seats. The room has romantic/old school look and feel. Music is also nice. food and waiting was also prompt and omg was it good. This open table last minute reservation was superb and it made our day. One of the best clam chowder we've had and the big crab legs were excellent and already half opened so i didnt even have to use the clamps. Expensive but not out of reach at all. Well worth it!Special Features:
- Still good after all these yearsKatieDined on 8/17/2014We are "old timers" at Shaw's & have been going there since the '80's. The fresh fish selections are really fresh. The halibut and salmon were perfectly cooked. The sides are always good. I just wish I had room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experience!onetuftigerDined on 8/17/2014I live out of town, but try and go to Shaw's for Sunday brunch when given the opportunity. We always start with a Bloody Mary and "doctor" it up ourselves at the bar. The food was as good this time as it's ever been, especially enjoying the cold seafood bar with shrimp, crab legs and sushi. The breakfast bacon was amazing along with other breakfast items...I wasn't even able to make it to the waffle and omelet bar. I finished with steamed crab legs, a slice of beef tenderloin, and an amazing cup of lobster bisque. My only complaint at all was our table was at the entrance of a room, and thus very busy with customers and servers jostling by the table...try and get a table if possible back in the room. All in all, a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb restaurant!Happycustomer1Dined on 8/16/2014Expensive but worth every penny! We will definitely go back the next time were in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was great.DukeDined on 8/16/2014The seafood was great. As good as any that I've eaten on any coast. I had grilled halibut and my wife had crab cakes. I will definitely go back. It is a little noisy and crowded, therefore I would not call it an intimate dining experience. But sit back and enjoy the food along with your fellow diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed out of town visitorshealthyfoodie13Dined on 8/16/2014We had a delicious, fresh dinner here. Lovely wines, all varieties of fish and seafood, prepped in a variety of manners: raw, broiled, baked or sauted. variety of sauces and dips. relaxed timing and lots of good fun!Special Features:
- Go to Schaumburg locationNotATourist2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014Liked the Schaumburg restaurant better. This one is a bit of mill and pricey for what you get. Bar tenders are nice, waiter a bit pretenious. I loved the Dinner in the Schaumburg location and the wait staff was great. We went here for our anniversary and thought the food at this location was ok and felt treated as a number. If I went to this location first I would of never returned to Shaw's. Will return to the Schaumburg location, but not downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.