5251 Oak Street
Vancouver, BC V6M 4H1Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shaughnessyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6042610011
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Northwest
- Executive Chef: DAVID WILLIAM GRIMSHAW
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: THE RESTAURANT MAY BE BOOKED FOR PRIVATE FUNCTIONS EITHER EXCLUSIVELY OR NON-EXCLUSIVELY FOR SMALLER GROUPS. PRICES VARY DEPENDING ON THE EVENT, NUMBER OF GUESTS, AND TIME OF YEAR. PLEASE INQUIRE VIA OUR WEB SITE WHICH ALSO PROVIDES A SELECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS AND MENUS.
- Private Party Contact: TED MCLEAN 6042610011
- Entertainment: THE OPPORTUNITY TO STROLL IN A 55 ACRE BOTANICAL GARDEN OFFERING AMAZING FOLIAGE AND GROWTH EVERY MONTH OF THE YEAR. TEST YOUR SENSE OF DIRECTION AS YOU FIND YOUR WAY THROUGH THE POPULAR "GARDEN MAZE". RELAX AND FIND YOUR CENTER IN THE MEDITATION GARDEN OR MEANDER THROUGH MEDITERRANEAN BELT. YOU'LL FIND JURASSIC SIZE PLANTS AROUND LINVINGSTONE LAKE. THE STONE GARDEN IS ONE OF VANCOUVER'S HIGHEST ELEVATIONS, OFFERING A VIEW OF THE MOUNTAINS ON A CLEAR DAY. TRULY SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE !!
- Cross Street: 37TH AVENUE
- Public Transit: SHAUGHNESSY RESTAURANT IS ON OAK STREET WHICH IS THE MAIN THROUGHFARE For MANY ARTERIES INTO OR OUT OF THE CITY. ON ROUTE FROM OR TO THE VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT OR THE US BORDER. SHAUGHNESSY RESTAURANT IS 15 MINUTES FROM DOWNTOWN AND 15 MINUTES FROM THE AIRPORT. TRANSIT BUS STOPS ARE LOCATED ONLY 2 MINUTES FROM THE ENTRANCE TO THE GARDEN.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: WE HAVE AMPLE FREE/COMPLIMENTARY PARKING FOR 200 CARS; ALSO PRIVATE COACH AND BUS PARKING AREA..
A word from Shaughnessy Restaurant
SHAUGHNESSY RESTAURANT IS LOCATED IN THE SPECTACULAR VANDUSEN BOTANICAL GARDEN (A 55-ACRE TEACHING GARDEN). THE RESTAURANT WAS ORIGINALLY OPENED IN 1984 TO SERVICE THE MANY MEMBERS & GUESTS OF THE GARDEN, BUT IT SOON BECAME A POPULAR DINING ESTABLISHMENT AND HAS EVOLVED INTO A VANCOUVER LANDMARK. IT IS NOW A FAVORITE WITH LOCALS & TOURISTS ALIKE. SHAUGHNESSY RESTAURANT OFFERS CONTEMPORARY COMFORT FOOD, PROFESSIONAL WARM SERVICE AND THE RIGHT MIX OF CREATIVITY AND COMMITMENT IN AN ELEGANT, RELAXED AND UNIQUE GARDEN SETTING. WE CATER TO A VARIETY OF EVENTS THROUGHOUT THE YEAR - WEDDING RECEPTIONS, ANNIVERSARIES, BIRTHDAYS, BAR/BAT MITZVAHS, FAMILY REUNIONS AND CORPORATE MEETINGS. EXCLUSIVE RESTAURANT BOOKINGS ARE AVAILABLE AND WE CAN ACCOMODATE A VARIETY OF GROUP SIZES UP TO 200 PEOPLE. THERE IS AMPLE FREE PARKING FOR CAR, PRIVATE COACH OR BUS. BOTH THE GARDEN AND THE RESTAURANT ARE WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLEContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Shaughnessy Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Shaughnessy ›
Shaughnessy Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (47)great for lunch (44)neighborhood gem (36)great for brunch (35)special occasion (35)great for outdoor dining (28)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (22)romantic (20)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/28/2014the food is great, everybody is friendly, and good services, the place is romantic and comfy. parking is easy. free. I will definitely recommend to my friends and love to have this place for my special eventsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful changeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014A delightful change from the hipster Main Street scene. Fun to get dressed up and take in the garden view for Sunday brunch. The veggie eggs benny was lame but the kale caesar salad was amazing! The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Disappointing1lov2porDined on 10/21/2014Service was very sporatic. The food was very expensive for what was served, for example my salad only had a touch of dressing at the bottom of the serving, the rest was dry, wilted and rather boring. My croissant was the worst that I have ever tasted. The cheese cake special for $9.00 was very small and tasted stale. Our water glasses were never refreshed.Special Features:
- A favourite!!TriplannerDined on 10/19/2014Not trendy and an older crowd but always a reliable restaurant choice. Good value for money. Nice atmosphere. Great selection of tasty food. Nice to not have to pay half the cost of a meal on parking.Special Features:
- LillyDined on 10/17/2014I took my friend for birthday dinner and the waiter said all they will do is if she ordered dessert they will put a candle on it. We were shockingly surprised as other less expensive restaurants gives free dessert for the birthday person. Our dinner was 28.00 and 30.00 and all she gets is a candle if order dessert. This is the first time we have ever experienced that a restaurant do nothing but a candle only if birthday person ordered a dessert.Special Features:
- Great AtmospherebebeDined on 10/16/2014Four of us went for dinner. Beautiful place,service was ok. We had Mussels and Calamari to start, was sooo good , I had Grilled Lamb Sirloin, humm i had better …. I wasnt impress…. my friend had New York Striploin, portion was small for the price. Desert, its always good… Over all i might go back there again because of Atmosphere, its phenomenalSpecial Features:
- Lovely but long in the toothOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/13/2014This used to be one of our favourite spots for a family outing, beautiful, with a nice approach to the food. The place is still lovely, but the menu is now long in the tooth, and the food now feels wilted in comparison to the vibrant life energy that you feel from the garden outside. I'm sorry to see this happen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LocationBennDined on 10/9/2014We have eaten here a number of times, not because the food is great, it's ok, or it's good value, a bit overpriced for what they serve, but because it is a great location to meet up with others. It has good easy access parking, a nice setting, good place to have a conversation, and a central location to meet with people coming from different areas of the City.Special Features:
- DisappointingMagnoliaDined on 10/6/2014We went for a special occasion. We know the gardens very well, since before they were developed. I have eaten at van Dusen often. We thought it would be lovely to have lunch there to mark what would have been my parents' 55th anniversary, though we lost my mum recently. Upon arriving, the host was having an argumentative call with a client and ignored us. The soup was very nice, but in general the food was a disappointment. The special -- salmon quiche -- was overcooked, dense, egg, with little salmon or flavour. The salad was dry, with almost no dressing. The white wine was not cold enough. The special--ice cream--was average. Nobody came to ask how the meal was. All in all, it was quite uncomfortable, as I had suggested the restaurant.Special Features:
- foodluv2dineVIPDined on 10/4/2014food size and quality have decreased - e.g. quesadilla used to be crispy and hot but was served luke warm and chewy; rock grab croissant used to be puffy with lots of filling but was served flat with little filling. Blueberry scones used to be served hot but was served cold.Special Features:
- Lovely lunch as alwaysMaggieJaneVIPDined on 9/30/2014This is my "go-to" restaurant for lunch or brunch in Vancouver. I would go for dinner too but I live in White Rock and do not drive at night. Wonderful food and polite, profession and friendly service are always the norm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasantvilleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014I have dined many times at The Shaughnessy Restaurant and have always enjoyed it.I like that I can always book my reservation online. I find the staff are always attentive and appreciate a good sense of humour. I will certainly reccommend this restaurant to my friends. I should also mention how pleasant it is to wander through the beautiful gardens after lunch.Special Features:
- I love the food exceptAwesomeVIPDined on 9/22/2014Overall the food are good and tasty but the sauce for the sable fish, it's kind of salty. Too much oyster sauce. Otherwise. Everything is good 👍👍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An enjoyable experienceMathersgirlDined on 9/19/2014A friend and I chose this place early evening on a Friday to have a bite and catch up. We ended up being ahead of schedule and a quick call was greeted with a happy response that they would take us sooner! The server was very pleasant and helpful and we enjoyed our meals and the lovely garden surroundings. My only complaint, was even though I noted there was an allergy on the reservation, no one seemed to be aware of this on my arrival. Other than that, a great place :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shaughnessy RestaurantSister3Dined on 9/16/2014I have been to Shaughnessy restaurant many times, especially at lunch time. The service is friendly,mand the food is fresh and very good. The variety of choices on the menu usually satisfies everyone. Of course the setting in the gardens is beautiful, providing a wonderful ambiance for tourists and locals alike.Special Features:
- A special treat for a dear friendamust4specialguestsDined on 9/14/2014Shaughnessy Restaurant offers the style to which I would like to become accustomed. But, until the day fortune comes my way, I must still treat myself, now and then, as well as special guests and friends, to the finest dining that I feel totally comfortable with, and, of course, it offers an outstanding view of my dearly beloved Van Dusen Gardens.Special Features:
- FacsLdrDined on 9/10/2014It's been awhile since we dined at Shaughnessy Rstrnt. And - it'll be awhile before we go back again. There was no 'Wow' factor to appetizers, main entrees, or desserts that we ordered, or in the respective presentations, that would have us planning to go back. Fish seemed on the overdone side; lamb was a bit tough and lacked taste.
- EXCELLANT evening with friendsMiriamDined on 9/6/2014Live in Richmond and we don't have to drive far to go to a high end restaurant with beautiful grounds. Parking no problem. Enjoyed their new outdoor patioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have never been disappointed.RowBearDined on 9/1/2014We have visited the Shaughnessy Restaurant several times and have never been disappointed. The food is excellent and the portion sizes good. The staff are really good, well trained, friendly and just plain nice. Our three year-old was being obstinate and wanted a cookie for lunch. Although not on the menu, our waitress found him two cookies which he loved. (With those inside him, he was happy to eat real food.) My wife had the prawn and crab quesadilla which was excellent (it looked fabulous too!). I had the seared tuna burger. Some restaurants will make the mistake of adding stuff to the burger that overwhelms the taste of the tuna. Shaugnessy's chef did not make this error. It was perfect. I had a local beer (Gypsy tears)—excellent. *****Special Features:
- Five starsPlimagesDined on 8/29/2014Have been going to this restaurant for lunch and dinner since 1990 and have never had a bad meal or poor service regardless of the size of group. The room size (not too big) and the white table cloth table settings add to the charm. There is not a bad table in the place. A good variety on the menu and the wine list nicely complements the menu items. Knowledgeable staff for food and wine. The garden views are a delight all year round.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and nice servicejosephVIPDined on 8/29/2014Always been my favorite in the neighborhood. Lots of parking. Very friendly service. Excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amateur HourPYTHONDined on 8/27/2014I did not expect to receive plated chicken that rivalled the calibre of the "infamous" rubber chicken that convention goers so often received: warmed up, tasteless, rubbery, somewhat tough; texture was of dried old chicken that had been nuked in a microwave and then thrown on to the top of greens. Waiter did not return to table to enquire if I wanted fresh pepper until I was more than halfway through the course. Very, very disappointing. I shall not be returning.
- Averageeasy2pleaseDined on 8/24/2014I ordered the brunch special, one poached egg,1 piece brioche toast, some mushrooms and a tiny bit of greens. It wasn't worth $14. My lady had a great looking tuna burger. Don't think I would eat there again. The gardens were beautiful. Great place to go for a walk. Next time I will eat at the garden cafeteria.
- Great dinnerMarylVIPDined on 8/21/2014We were welcomed warmly and drinks were served up immediately, perfect!!! Our dinners were excellent, one of the best ones we have had. We always enjoy our meals here, for any reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineluv2dineDined on 8/15/2014My last dining experience at the Shaughnessy Restaurant was very disappointing. I invited a friend for lunch and requested a table outdoors. Well, on this day a wedding was booked so those who dined outside needed to finish their meals by 1:30pm, we sat down for lunch at 11:45. Food was served to us cold, bumpy floor, noisy staff, and a deadline to boot - not impressed this time.Special Features:
- MarrobDined on 8/13/2014Always enjoyable atmosphere, good food and service. We started with the shrimp and crab cakes as a tasty appetizer. One of us had the paella with lots of clams and mussels, nice and fresh. The steak was very good and enjoyed. For dessert we shared a coconut creme brûlée - yum! Thanks for an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Wonderful LunchvjfoodieDined on 8/11/2014We found the whole atmosphere to be very pleasant. Very nice setting. The food was great and we thought the menu was very good.Special Features:
- Lackluster...AngieGVIPDined on 8/9/2014Service was somewhat nonexistent. There's no where to actually check-in anywhere. We stood for quite awhile, then seemed like we were a bother. Food was just meh...not horrible, but nowhere near terrific at all. We were never even asked if we wanted a second drink. The scenery was not great considering you are in a botanical garden. Definitely did not merit a special visit. Maybe if you just happen to be at the garden it would be acceptable.
- luv2dineDined on 8/8/2014Love this restaurant! I have yet to dine inside the restaurant as the 2 outside dining areas are beautifully situated with great views of the garden. The food is delicious and the service is stellar. The menu for lunch is a little pricey but is well worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/7/2014Been a regular customer for years. Lovely location, and beautifull restaurant. Only 5 minutes from home. Parking is so easy ! Service is always attentive. I just wish they would change the menu occasionally ! M.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable place to eat.SusieQ1Dined on 8/7/2014The food was good and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Nice peopleSpecial Features:
- You'll love the baby kale!ezdynerDined on 8/3/2014If you are used to kale being the tough waxy textured vegetable usually found at produce stores, you will be pleasantly surprised by the baby kale salad served at Shaughnessy. Combined with feta cheese and toasted chick peas, it is very tender, tasty, and not the least bit chewy. The restaurant has an arrangement with a local grower to supply the baby kale, so it it can always be fresh. Try it, you won't be disappointed. There are always very creative vegetarian options on the menu too. My wife had the kale and quinoa strudel and was very pleased. I had the paella, which was one of the best versions of this dish that I have ever had. Great food in a great setting overlooking VanDuesen gardens.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/15/2014We shared the Greek tomato salad (a somewhat different presentation, with a couple of small slabs of feta on top) then went on to the pasta of the day (okay, but it should have been hotter) and the vegetable strudel (quite good, and considerably hotter than my pasta). We would have enjoyed a couple more of the tiny buns but none were offered and we didn't bother to ask. Service was otherwise fine, and the south patio was a very pleasant place to enjoy a glimpse of the garden on a warm evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014My guest from Massachusetts, USA was pleased with the décor and ambiance at the restaurant. The view and mild temperature were ideal for a great outdoor dining. Both the meals and service were excellent. We plan to come back on our next trip to BCSpecial Features:
- Beautiful garden settingButterfly4VIPDined on 7/10/2014Having lunch at Shaughnessy is like a vacation. The garden is absolutely beautiful in the summer. The restaurant is open to allow fresh air and the view is fantastic.Special Features:
- good foodfoodieDined on 7/9/2014This restaurant is consistently very good with great service and great ambience. Always enjoy a meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyDined on 7/6/2014Service was a little slow, but the server was friendly when she came around. Food was tasty although they could have been a little more generous with the portion size.Special Features:
- The following 814 reviews are from the Shaughnessy Restaurant reviews archive.
- Garden settingchoosyeaterDined on 6/29/2014Shaughnessy Restaurant has a lovely location in Van Dusen Gardens. While I did have a different menu choice on this occasion, perhaps because it was a combination of lunch and brunch, my main comment would have to be that the menu doesn't change very much and I would like to see more gluten-free and vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch/lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014As I have only just 'refound' this place after absense of at least 10 years, I cannot guess at how the evening, etc. times would be like. Three of us were there for Sunday brunch/lunch and were seated at one of the side window seats and were so impressed with the table, the view, and the service although there were setting up for a big group about to come in so it was a bit busy with that activity. The food was excellent, beautiful presentation and well priced. I would definitely come back for lunch again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice ambiencebeatsdoindishesDined on 6/25/2014nice setting in Garden. Good place to eat while visiting the garden. would not make a special trip just for the restaurant. not sure why there needs to be a minimum number of words.. but there you go.Special Features: