5251 Oak Street
Vancouver, BC V6M 4H1Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shaughnessyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6042610011
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Northwest
- Executive Chef: DAVID WILLIAM GRIMSHAW
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: THE RESTAURANT MAY BE BOOKED FOR PRIVATE FUNCTIONS EITHER EXCLUSIVELY OR NON-EXCLUSIVELY FOR SMALLER GROUPS. PRICES VARY DEPENDING ON THE EVENT, NUMBER OF GUESTS, AND TIME OF YEAR. PLEASE INQUIRE VIA OUR WEB SITE WHICH ALSO PROVIDES A SELECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS AND MENUS.
- Private Party Contact: TED MCLEAN 6042610011
- Entertainment: THE OPPORTUNITY TO STROLL IN A 55 ACRE BOTANICAL GARDEN OFFERING AMAZING FOLIAGE AND GROWTH EVERY MONTH OF THE YEAR. TEST YOUR SENSE OF DIRECTION AS YOU FIND YOUR WAY THROUGH THE POPULAR "GARDEN MAZE". RELAX AND FIND YOUR CENTER IN THE MEDITATION GARDEN OR MEANDER THROUGH MEDITERRANEAN BELT. YOU'LL FIND JURASSIC SIZE PLANTS AROUND LINVINGSTONE LAKE. THE STONE GARDEN IS ONE OF VANCOUVER'S HIGHEST ELEVATIONS, OFFERING A VIEW OF THE MOUNTAINS ON A CLEAR DAY. TRULY SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE !!
- Cross Street: 37TH AVENUE
- Public Transit: SHAUGHNESSY RESTAURANT IS ON OAK STREET WHICH IS THE MAIN THROUGHFARE For MANY ARTERIES INTO OR OUT OF THE CITY. ON ROUTE FROM OR TO THE VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT OR THE US BORDER. SHAUGHNESSY RESTAURANT IS 15 MINUTES FROM DOWNTOWN AND 15 MINUTES FROM THE AIRPORT. TRANSIT BUS STOPS ARE LOCATED ONLY 2 MINUTES FROM THE ENTRANCE TO THE GARDEN.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: WE HAVE AMPLE FREE/COMPLIMENTARY PARKING FOR 200 CARS; ALSO PRIVATE COACH AND BUS PARKING AREA..
A word from Shaughnessy Restaurant
SHAUGHNESSY RESTAURANT IS LOCATED IN THE SPECTACULAR VANDUSEN BOTANICAL GARDEN (A 55-ACRE TEACHING GARDEN). THE RESTAURANT WAS ORIGINALLY OPENED IN 1984 TO SERVICE THE MANY MEMBERS & GUESTS OF THE GARDEN, BUT IT SOON BECAME A POPULAR DINING ESTABLISHMENT AND HAS EVOLVED INTO A VANCOUVER LANDMARK. IT IS NOW A FAVORITE WITH LOCALS & TOURISTS ALIKE. SHAUGHNESSY RESTAURANT OFFERS CONTEMPORARY COMFORT FOOD, PROFESSIONAL WARM SERVICE AND THE RIGHT MIX OF CREATIVITY AND COMMITMENT IN AN ELEGANT, RELAXED AND UNIQUE GARDEN SETTING. WE CATER TO A VARIETY OF EVENTS THROUGHOUT THE YEAR - WEDDING RECEPTIONS, ANNIVERSARIES, BIRTHDAYS, BAR/BAT MITZVAHS, FAMILY REUNIONS AND CORPORATE MEETINGS. EXCLUSIVE RESTAURANT BOOKINGS ARE AVAILABLE AND WE CAN ACCOMODATE A VARIETY OF GROUP SIZES UP TO 200 PEOPLE. THERE IS AMPLE FREE PARKING FOR CAR, PRIVATE COACH OR BUS. BOTH THE GARDEN AND THE RESTAURANT ARE WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLEContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Shaughnessy Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Shaughnessy ›
Shaughnessy Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (51)great for lunch (49)great for brunch (44)special occasion (44)great for outdoor dining (34)neighborhood gem (34)romantic (25)good for groups (24)fit for foodies (19)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)Show More
- A special treat for a dear friendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Shaughnessy Restaurant offers the style to which I would like to become accustomed. But, until the day fortune comes my way, I must still treat myself, now and then, as well as special guests and friends, to the finest dining that I feel totally comfortable with, and, of course, it offers an outstanding view of my dearly beloved Van Dusen Gardens.Special Features:
- FacsLdrDined on 9/10/2014It's been awhile since we dined at Shaughnessy Rstrnt. And - it'll be awhile before we go back again. There was no 'Wow' factor to appetizers, main entrees, or desserts that we ordered, or in the respective presentations, that would have us planning to go back. Fish seemed on the overdone side; lamb was a bit tough and lacked taste.
- EXCELLANT evening with friendsMiriamDined on 9/6/2014Live in Richmond and we don't have to drive far to go to a high end restaurant with beautiful grounds. Parking no problem. Enjoyed their new outdoor patioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have never been disappointed.RowBearDined on 9/1/2014We have visited the Shaughnessy Restaurant several times and have never been disappointed. The food is excellent and the portion sizes good. The staff are really good, well trained, friendly and just plain nice. Our three year-old was being obstinate and wanted a cookie for lunch. Although not on the menu, our waitress found him two cookies which he loved. (With those inside him, he was happy to eat real food.) My wife had the prawn and crab quesadilla which was excellent (it looked fabulous too!). I had the seared tuna burger. Some restaurants will make the mistake of adding stuff to the burger that overwhelms the taste of the tuna. Shaugnessy's chef did not make this error. It was perfect. I had a local beer (Gypsy tears)—excellent. *****Special Features:
- Five starsPlimagesDined on 8/29/2014Have been going to this restaurant for lunch and dinner since 1990 and have never had a bad meal or poor service regardless of the size of group. The room size (not too big) and the white table cloth table settings add to the charm. There is not a bad table in the place. A good variety on the menu and the wine list nicely complements the menu items. Knowledgeable staff for food and wine. The garden views are a delight all year round.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and nice servicejosephDined on 8/29/2014Always been my favorite in the neighborhood. Lots of parking. Very friendly service. Excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amateur HourPYTHONDined on 8/27/2014I did not expect to receive plated chicken that rivalled the calibre of the "infamous" rubber chicken that convention goers so often received: warmed up, tasteless, rubbery, somewhat tough; texture was of dried old chicken that had been nuked in a microwave and then thrown on to the top of greens. Waiter did not return to table to enquire if I wanted fresh pepper until I was more than halfway through the course. Very, very disappointing. I shall not be returning.
- Averageeasy2pleaseDined on 8/24/2014I ordered the brunch special, one poached egg,1 piece brioche toast, some mushrooms and a tiny bit of greens. It wasn't worth $14. My lady had a great looking tuna burger. Don't think I would eat there again. The gardens were beautiful. Great place to go for a walk. Next time I will eat at the garden cafeteria.
- Great dinnerMarylVIPDined on 8/21/2014We were welcomed warmly and drinks were served up immediately, perfect!!! Our dinners were excellent, one of the best ones we have had. We always enjoy our meals here, for any reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineluv2dineDined on 8/15/2014My last dining experience at the Shaughnessy Restaurant was very disappointing. I invited a friend for lunch and requested a table outdoors. Well, on this day a wedding was booked so those who dined outside needed to finish their meals by 1:30pm, we sat down for lunch at 11:45. Food was served to us cold, bumpy floor, noisy staff, and a deadline to boot - not impressed this time.Special Features:
- MarrobDined on 8/13/2014Always enjoyable atmosphere, good food and service. We started with the shrimp and crab cakes as a tasty appetizer. One of us had the paella with lots of clams and mussels, nice and fresh. The steak was very good and enjoyed. For dessert we shared a coconut creme brûlée - yum! Thanks for an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Wonderful LunchvjfoodieDined on 8/11/2014We found the whole atmosphere to be very pleasant. Very nice setting. The food was great and we thought the menu was very good.Special Features:
- Lackluster...AngieGVIPDined on 8/9/2014Service was somewhat nonexistent. There's no where to actually check-in anywhere. We stood for quite awhile, then seemed like we were a bother. Food was just meh...not horrible, but nowhere near terrific at all. We were never even asked if we wanted a second drink. The scenery was not great considering you are in a botanical garden. Definitely did not merit a special visit. Maybe if you just happen to be at the garden it would be acceptable.
- luv2dineDined on 8/8/2014Love this restaurant! I have yet to dine inside the restaurant as the 2 outside dining areas are beautifully situated with great views of the garden. The food is delicious and the service is stellar. The menu for lunch is a little pricey but is well worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/7/2014Been a regular customer for years. Lovely location, and beautifull restaurant. Only 5 minutes from home. Parking is so easy ! Service is always attentive. I just wish they would change the menu occasionally ! M.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable place to eat.SusieQ1Dined on 8/7/2014The food was good and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Nice peopleSpecial Features:
- You'll love the baby kale!ezdynerDined on 8/3/2014If you are used to kale being the tough waxy textured vegetable usually found at produce stores, you will be pleasantly surprised by the baby kale salad served at Shaughnessy. Combined with feta cheese and toasted chick peas, it is very tender, tasty, and not the least bit chewy. The restaurant has an arrangement with a local grower to supply the baby kale, so it it can always be fresh. Try it, you won't be disappointed. There are always very creative vegetarian options on the menu too. My wife had the kale and quinoa strudel and was very pleased. I had the paella, which was one of the best versions of this dish that I have ever had. Great food in a great setting overlooking VanDuesen gardens.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/15/2014We shared the Greek tomato salad (a somewhat different presentation, with a couple of small slabs of feta on top) then went on to the pasta of the day (okay, but it should have been hotter) and the vegetable strudel (quite good, and considerably hotter than my pasta). We would have enjoyed a couple more of the tiny buns but none were offered and we didn't bother to ask. Service was otherwise fine, and the south patio was a very pleasant place to enjoy a glimpse of the garden on a warm evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014My guest from Massachusetts, USA was pleased with the décor and ambiance at the restaurant. The view and mild temperature were ideal for a great outdoor dining. Both the meals and service were excellent. We plan to come back on our next trip to BCSpecial Features:
- Beautiful garden settingButterfly4VIPDined on 7/10/2014Having lunch at Shaughnessy is like a vacation. The garden is absolutely beautiful in the summer. The restaurant is open to allow fresh air and the view is fantastic.Special Features:
- good foodfoodieDined on 7/9/2014This restaurant is consistently very good with great service and great ambience. Always enjoy a meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyDined on 7/6/2014Service was a little slow, but the server was friendly when she came around. Food was tasty although they could have been a little more generous with the portion size.Special Features:
- Garden settingchoosyeaterDined on 6/29/2014Shaughnessy Restaurant has a lovely location in Van Dusen Gardens. While I did have a different menu choice on this occasion, perhaps because it was a combination of lunch and brunch, my main comment would have to be that the menu doesn't change very much and I would like to see more gluten-free and vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch/lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014As I have only just 'refound' this place after absense of at least 10 years, I cannot guess at how the evening, etc. times would be like. Three of us were there for Sunday brunch/lunch and were seated at one of the side window seats and were so impressed with the table, the view, and the service although there were setting up for a big group about to come in so it was a bit busy with that activity. The food was excellent, beautiful presentation and well priced. I would definitely come back for lunch again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice ambiencebeatsdoindishesDined on 6/25/2014nice setting in Garden. Good place to eat while visiting the garden. would not make a special trip just for the restaurant. not sure why there needs to be a minimum number of words.. but there you go.Special Features:
- Good food, quiet during the weekBCBigWeldDined on 6/24/2014Not the cheapest place, but the food is very good and it is quiet for dinner during the week. The lunch menu is more reasonable and it is always busy at lunchtime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three great fish dishesHecateVIPDined on 6/24/2014Three of us (two locals and an out-of town guest had three of the fish offerings. They were all really good. Been many times to the Shaughnessy and we had one of the best meals ever and, of course, the view is almost as good!Special Features:
- Rude conciergeHBHBVIPDined on 6/22/2014The concierge was rude - we were made to feel extremely unwelcome the first few minutes at the restaurant - in the way that he spoke to us, his body language and how he seated us by throwing the menus on the table. Our waiter again was very professional and friendly. We will not visit again.
- Amazing !Lucy1959Dined on 6/22/2014Everything was perfect ! Thankyou very much. We were celebrating my son's wedding and presented their wedding gift to them. They loved in and the Shaunessy Restaurant helped !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will come backAwesomeDined on 6/20/2014I had a great time with my family. Food and service were great. I wouldn't complain; except the Host, he had no smile and not friendly and I don't think he should be the person for this position. Anyway, HOST was not professional at allSpecial Features:
- reflectiveduoDined on 6/19/2014Over the years, I have dined at Shaughnessy almost monthly! I find it consistently good, very friendly, and even able to accommodate special requests. This visit, my sister from Sydney was spending her last evening with us before her return to Australia. We walked in the garden, ate good food (especially the lemon tart), and had a wonderful time to talk. Thank you for helping us soften her leaving! IreneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarstenDined on 6/13/2014Shaughnessy is a wonderful spot for a relaxing dinner in a garden setting. We sat on the patio which let's you only see a small portion of the expansive VanDusen gardens, the only drawback of the patio) but overall the classic tea room ambient is very beautiful. Service was impeccable and very prompt but never pushy. The food was excellent although the wine list is a bit compact. We will surely returnSpecial Features:
- Perfect for dinner in Vancouverlinda1Dined on 6/13/2014Shaughnessy's is an excellent choice to celebrate a special occasion, be with friends or family. The ambience is outstanding, both inside and out, the location in the garden's makes this a must visit location if you live in Vancouver or are visiting. The menu includes a variety of seafood and other dishes to satisfy most individual tastes. We were impressed having booked our reservation through Open Table that they had read the note indicating that my friends had train reservations and we were pressed for time. They paid special attention to keeping our service onetime and we did not feel rushed. Simply outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superrrrrrrrrbwestcoasterDined on 5/30/2014Superb dining experience here @ Shaughnessy Restaurant...from the attentive wait staff to the savory entrees. The lamb shank was succulent and melted off the bone...lovely fresh sides as well. The New England chowder was meh...barely tasted any clams in the soup. The Ahi Tuna was a tad bit overcooked...would have been perfect with less of a sear....the bed of soba noodles was fantabulous and perfectly seasoned. Will definitely return to this phenomenally tasty gem~Special Features:
- great menuShaughnessyGemDined on 5/28/2014I had dinner with two other friends as a going away for one of them. I had a hard time choosing my dinner but settled on the paella. It was very tasty and a generous portion. I tried the steelhead previously and thoroughly enjoyed that as well. The server gave me a good recommendation on a glass of wine and we had a table with a partial view of the gardens. The server also split our bill when asked, with no problem. All in all a great time.Special Features:
- A real brunch treatsunshineDined on 5/24/2014We booked here as a treat before my parents returned to the UK. We went for the brunch menu and were not disappointed. The food was served in a timely manner, well presented and very tasty. Our server was attentive, and seemed knowledgeable of the menu. The restaurant had a light-friendly and casual atmosphere, and seemed to cater for all types, from single people, to couples, and groups, to families. The food was fairly priced, and the house wine only a little higher than average in price, but good quality. The location is pretty good too considering it is at the Van Dusen GradensSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for a special lunchlovetocookDined on 5/23/2014We took several family members to the Shaughnessy Restaurant to celebrate our daughter's university graduation. The restaurant had a lovely elegant, casual ambiance for this special occasion. The food was delicious and the service attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ReceptionSurprised23Dined on 5/21/2014The food was interesting and well served, but our experienced was marred by the extreme and unnecessary rudeness of the maitre d' to a Van Dusen gardener who had helped us find the entrance. In fact we almost walked out at that point. There are no signs in the Garden to indicate the entrance to the restaurant from the Garden, nor is there a sign stating there is no access. It is astonishing in this day and age that see such actions in a restaurant.Special Features:
- PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/19/2014This restaurant is a hidden gem. So romantic. We were married there and it provided the most spectacular atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 797 reviews are from the Shaughnessy Restaurant reviews archive.
- Another fine meal at VanDusenOldIrishDined on 5/17/2014We had a nice lunch while at a car show at VanDusen gardens recently. This is an annual event for us and look forward to a relaxing lunch during a busy day. I had the ahi tuna burger and my wife had chicken breast panini. Both were very good and service was efficient and friendly. Prices are a bit high, but given lack of other choices and fact that food is always good, it helps make our annual visit complete.Special Features: