Sharky's Gulf Grill
6201 Poplar Ave.
Memphis, TN 38119Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Sharky's Gulf Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sharkysgulfgrill.com/
- Phone: 9016829796
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch Buffet: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 10:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Tim Foley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For smaller or medium size business luncheons and dinners.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private dinning room accommodates up to 48 guests for rehearsal dinners, family celebrations, business meetings, pharmaceutical meetings and cocktail receptions. Equipment provided.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Lanier 9016829796
- Entertainment: Sharky's offers live entertainment Tuesday and Wednesday on the patio; weather permitting.
A word from Sharky's Gulf Grill
Sharky"s is a locally owned restaurant with a unique menu combination of the freshest seafood and sushi selections. Enjoy fresh oysters, shrimp and sushi from our Seafood Bar or Sharky's fresh catch and other signature items such as shrimp and grits, jambalaya and seafood Alfredo. For guests who may not have a pallet for seafood; we offer a variety of dishes sure to satisfy their taste buds. Have a blast in our bar, or enjoy a quiet meal in a casual yet refined ambiance. Visit Sharky's tonight for a delicious meal and a unique dining experience. Sharky's Gulf Grill, Memphis was inspired by several great Gulf restaurants. Our "Fresh Catch" is always flown in overnight to assure you get the freshest seafood in Memphis. Eating at Sharky's is like visiting the Gulf Coast: you'll always enjoy a great meal and a good time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sharky's Gulf Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- great food-service okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2013The food was great- I feel that for the price you pay- you should get more food. When we got there we had to wait more than a few moments to be served. When we got our food it was great.Special Features:
- Better than beforeDebbieDined on 7/21/2013Decided to give it another try with new chef Food was much better. But sushi appetizer portion was ridiculously small for price Other portions were ample. But overall felt was overpricedSpecial Features:
- Fish was delicious. ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2013Fish was delicious. Server did not bring bread until we asked for it and then it came out with entrées. Other than the bread, our meal was wonderful and we will definitely eat at Sharkey's again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish FriendlyNateDined on 6/22/2013As in a variety of well-prepared seafood. We had a great tuna dip, grouper, pompano, crab cakes, oysters- all wonderfully done. I enjoy every visit here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed Culinary QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/22/2013The Grouper was delicious, fried oysters were not; part of the breading had fallen off when dish was served. Fried fish portion was salty. A wrong side item was served, this was quickly corrected by the waiter James when brought to his attention. The tines on one of my forks were noticeably bent, it could not be used. Overall service was great. Staff was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was very lacking.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/21/2013Service was very lacking. This is typical. Nice waiter but they need training or someone needs to learn how to run it. $100 for two, food was good as always but I should not have to ask the waiter to clear off the appetizer plates after they bring the main course.Special Features:
- Great place- but food not as greatyjuarezDined on 6/14/2013Great place- but food not as great, we did not enjoy the food as much as the ambience.Special Features:
- Nice placeChristieDined on 6/1/2013I was wanting sushi while the others in my group wanted seafood, I never thought we would all be satisfied but we were. Good food, good sushi, good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday FindHank901Dined on 5/25/2013My wife and I celebrated my birthday at Sharky's. Food and service were excellent especially the deserts. Comfortable and inviting atmosphere. Would recommend the grilled shrimp and scallops and the gumbo. Coconut cake was divine. Henry-MemphisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very freshOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/20/2013I got the Lobster cobb salad which was what our waitperson recommended. I was pleasantly surprised that the lobster was extremely fresh! Almost as if they just steamed, cracked and served it moments before. The waitperson accommodated cheese on the side and dressing on the side separately with oil and vinegar. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Food is very good. The onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2013Food is very good. The only exception is the slaw. Any restaurant that serves fried catfish, fried shrimp, etc. should be able to make a good slaw....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Off DayMemFoodieDined on 5/15/2013This was apparently an off day for our server. I did not get the sushi I ordered, our food took almost 30 minutes to get to the table (it was not crowded) and the server was just generally not on his game. I have had much better experiences at Sharky's.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AWFUL.....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013This was my WORST dining experience in the 30.years that I have been visiting the Memphis area....to pay 30.00 a person for that stuff they called a buffet on Mother's Day was CRIMINAL. Not to mention that not ANYWHERE on their website did they inform potential patrons that the regular menu would NOT be available on Mother's Day... just the stuff they passed off on their buffet....do yourself a FAVOR potential diners.....go to the HALF SHELL restaurant on S. Mendenhall and Poplar instead...now THAT place was one of my BEST DINING EXPERIENCES of the WEEK. SHARKY'S should be ASHAMED.....
- New chef makes a good place...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2013New chef makes a good place... better Sunday brunch serving location is a winner... Desserts are greatly improved!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mother's day brunchmcookeDined on 5/12/2013Unfortunately, the food was most unimpressive. Food crammed in bar. A hodgepodge of items. Mediocre desserts as well. Just a big disappointment. Expensive too.
- Nice to have pompano on the menu.VickiVIPDined on 5/11/2013We have been there twice in the past couple of months, after having gone there a few times after the restaurant first opened and being very unimpressed then. We enjoy having other fish choices on the menu, especially the pompano. I did have the special mahi mahi Saturday night and it was extremely overcooked. I only ate a couple of bites. The accompanying rice was crunchy. However the pesto served with the dish was very good. By the time we could get the server's attention my dinning companions had almost finished their meals so I chose to forgo another entree choice. My entree was taken off the bill. Everyone else at the table enjoyed their entrees of the pompano and red snapper.
- Much better than it used to beradioreaderDined on 5/10/2013We had been to Sharky's bar for Happy Hour on Fridays for about a year - year and half, but we're never happy with the food. We could tell the menu was updated, much more upscale and less "bar food" than the last time we had been there. Wine prices and entrees were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013Great service and very good food. I do not like the change in the menu since I last went. Was wanting calamari and it has been removed from the menu. Had to ask for the steamer platter with crab legs and boiled shrimp but they were accommodating. Fried shrimp is now only offered as an appetizer instead of a meal. Otherwise - great seafood place!Special Features:
- Change is good.pjw330VIPDined on 4/14/2013With a new chef and the subsequent menu changes, we were not sure we would return to Sharky's. But I got a birthday coupon, so we decided to give it a try again. This time I had the pompano and my husband had the halibut special. Both were excellent. Allison was top notch with her attentiveness and very pleasant. Except for other diners who were much too loud, the experience was delightful. We will return.Special Features:
- I took my my out for het 56thOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/8/2013I took my my out for het 56th birthday. We had 3 in our party. The fo od,was bland and the server was not attentiveSpecial Features:
- Good fish albeit no ambiancechiquiDined on 4/5/2013We were a party of four who decided to have dinner at Sharky's because the chef and manager from Circa had been hired. Circa was a great restaurant which we much miss. We had seafood and fish and thought the food was excellent but we felt the ambiance and service need improvement. The waiter was corteous but started taking out plates and brought the check before everybody in the party had finished their dinner. It was like rushing you out.
- Best food I have ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2013Best food I have ever had at Sharky's - learned from the waiter that Chef Bragg has moved there from Circa - which certainly explains the food quality. Looking forward to seeing further improvements -
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2013I had a wonderful birthday dinner. I enjoyed the Lump Crab Cakes with Sauted Kale. It was perfectly seasoned. For dessert I had the Chocolate Tart. It was warm and rich. I will definitely be back!!!Special Features:
- Once again I have had a businessOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/2/2013Once again I have had a business lunch at Sharky's. I have not been disappointed. Now over 15 of my business associates have experienced a great lunch.Special Features:
- I was disappointed! I alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/1/2013I was disappointed! I always liked Sharky's and was eager to try their new menu created by their new chef(I had eaten in his former restaurant and had high expectations). I enjoyed the lobster bisque but my entrée of grilled pompano was lackluster. I didn't care for the fish--it had a strong taste and everything else was just bland and visually, not that appealing. There was also an unpleasant fishy odor in the restaurant that for me, was a turn off. They need to tweak the décor. It's just very uninspired. I will give it a second try and hope I have a better experience next time.
- the ambiance was amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/30/2013the ambiance was amazing. nice, quiet and very romantic. it was date night for my husband and i. we try to try something different everytime we come. and once again the food was cooked to perfection, service was top notch. i would recommend this to anyone hands down.Special Features:
- The staff went out of theirOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013The staff went out of their way to ensure my wife's Birthday was a success. Management personally came over to the table and provided greetings. I really appreciated how they respected my wishes for a celebration.Special Features:
- Tried it, didn't like itRobbinsnestDined on 3/29/2013Fish was a bit tough, pompano. Microwave was used a lot for cooking/ heating. Service was very slow. Dining rooms half full at the time. Would not return
- We went to Sharky's Gulf GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/28/2013We went to Sharky's Gulf Grill for our anniversary. We were placed at a more private table, per my request. We like seafood, and felt like the menu had some solid options. I got the grouper and my husband got the crab cakes. They were both delicious. We had a sushi roll as an appetizer, a little heavy on the chili sauce, but it was still tasty. I would consider going back to just have sushi. The only disappointment was the dessert. We fancy ourselves connoisseurs of anything sweet, and the key lime pie wasn't too tart, but the graham cracker crust wasn't really much of a crust at all--just a light smattering of crust...not the note we wanted to end our dinner on, but we would go back, just probably not order dessert again.Special Features:
- I should have sent my orderOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/24/2013I should have sent my order back because it was cold and the eggs were undercooked. I ordered the steak benedict and would not recommend it. The other two people with me were satisfied with their order, but we thought the server was not experienced and although she was nice, gave poor service.
- Great dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/23/2013Great dining experience. The pineapple martinis are outstanding!!Special Features:
- Foodcwas very good, but notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2013Foodcwas very good, but not outstanding. Wait staff needs training, badly. Ambience needs updating.
- We thoroughly enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013We thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience! My dad and I wanted to go someplace special to celebrate his 80th birthday! We wanted a quiet place where we could enjoy conversation. We had an excellent server. We were not familiar with many items on the menu and she did an excellent job of answering our questions. She also returned to the table often to make sure and take care of our needs. I believe her name was Ashley. I would recommend the restaurant to anyone and we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- None of our food was good.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2013None of our food was good. Apps were mediocre. Mac n cheese was not good at all. Very disappointing
- this was my second visit andBe673Dined on 3/20/2013this was my second visit and it was much better this time
- Good food - bad reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/19/2013My concern was made reservation in advance, time was key to me - date had broken leg and we were in wheel chair - regardless had to wait 25 minutes for table even with reservation - not good - food though was excellent!
- Where to begin...restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/19/2013Where to begin...restaurant very cold, server added 18% for party of 2 (we used a free birthday lunch voucher), food OK but nothing special (we should have ordered our usual sushi and sat at the bar where we would have had much better service), we would have complained but we did not see manager and had to get back to office.
- This place is struggling toOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/16/2013This place is struggling to find an identity in the competitive East Memphis market---haven't done it yet.
- terrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013We could not have been more unhappy with our visit! They did not honor our reservations because they "had a full house!" We sat on the patio as to not wait the thirty minutes past our 7:00 pm reservation time. The service was unacceptable as a member of our party did not receive his meal until we were almost finished. It took 15 minutes to get our drinks after we initially took our seats. The portions were horribly small and the cost of the meal well over $200.00 for a part of 7. We will not be returning and do not have one good word for Sharkys.
- Good fish, a bit pricey.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/13/2013Good fish, a bit pricey. The 50 cent oyster nights a great deal.