Shark Sushi Bar and Grille
275 Thayer Street
Providence, RI 02906Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Shark Sushi Bar and Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://sharkbarandgrill.com/
- Phone: 4014900212
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 1:00am, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Fusion / Eclectic
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from Shark Sushi Bar and Grille
Shark is one of the best sushi restaurants in downtown Providence, Rhode Island. We offer indoor and outdoor seating for a party of two or twenty, whatever your pleasure we are here to help you enjoy a fine evening of dining, fun and relaxation. The food process here at Shark is very simple. Fresh each and every day, nothing hits the freezer here at the restaurant. Our sushi, fish, seafood, and beef are chilled and ready made to order upon request of our wait staff, and prepared to your complete satisfaction or we will make it right. Your dining experience here at Shark will be one of total satisfaction and distinction. We pride ourselves on being your first thought in a return trip to downtown Providence to experience fine dining at it's best.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shark Sushi Bar and Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great PlaceWayneTDined on 11/23/2013Shark is a great place to go for any occasion. If you haven't been there, i recommend you do. Ladies try the Victoria's Secret drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise 21st BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013Great service, great atmosphere, great food. They accommodated our every need and provided a very memorable night. Would definitely recommend this restaurant for a party or a night out.Special Features:
- Waste of Time w/Incompetent StaffGnat401Dined on 10/12/2013The staff at Shark is useless.They are just taking up space.I made a reservation & called that night to let them know I would be there at 9pm. The girl said it was fine & she would take care of it.When we arrived,she said it was reserved for 5.I told her it was only 3.She looked very confused & told us to wait by the bar & she would get us.Thirty minutes later,I went to her & asked how much longer.She had completely forgotten about us & just picked a random table for us to sit.The WORST table possible.Right in front of the door where we felt the cold breeze.I asked a few of the workers to change tables & they left & never returned. One gave me a lecture that I had to designate the area I wanted & that others made reservations.Which I had.
- vibrantgr8niteDined on 9/21/2013I read a few reviews before making my reservation and im so glad we went. My fiance n I had dinner before beginning our dancing adventure and we loved it. I was looking for something different and we found it. The food was good and our waitress Rita was great. Very friendly, very attentive and very helpful. I would def return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luncheon meeting on a Monday.businesslunchDined on 9/16/2013Luncheon meeting on a Monday. Only party in the restaurant so it was very quiet. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had made a reservation forprecious4747Dined on 8/31/2013I had made a reservation for 5 people . Tthey messed up my reservation after confirming it twice!! then they didn't have a table for me, which sucked because it was my bff birthday . Then people who showed up after us got drinks and menus before we did. I had a good experience proir to this but idk this changed my decision going back.Special Features:
- This place was fantastic.AnniversaryDined on 8/24/2013This place was fantastic. I took my husband there for our wedding anniversary and we both enjoyed every moment of this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi Explosion!Ka1mlaDined on 8/13/2013My wife and I went to Shark for sushi. We had the Niño Sushi Party for four. It was certainly too much for two people. The platter was impressive and quite beautiful for sure. We also enjoyed some mango Hookah. It was quite different but we both really enjoyed it. A new and interesting experience! The sushi was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No hibachi.beebDined on 6/8/2013Awesome decor but sadly the reason we chose this restaurant was because it listed hibachi on the website. They don't do this anymore. There was also a specific dish someone in my party requested but they didn't carry that either. Very nice place. Food was great. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Fantastic!SharkDined on 5/10/2013The food was amazing, great service, awesome atmosphere! Very cool decor inside. Awesome drinks, awesome sushi. Can't wait to go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shark is one of the best placesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Shark is one of the best places to eat on Thayer St. Great food nice and modern scene. Beautiful shark tank behind the bar.Special Features:
- Perhaps an off night...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2013Usually love dinner at Shark however...this was Valentines Day and they clearly could not handle the volume of guests. Seating was cramped and several couples either asked or were asked to move tables due to poor table placement. Tables themselves are so unbalanced that without a stack of napkins shoved under a table leg, your drinks would literally spill over. Sangria is always our favorite but on that night there was definitely a lack of alcohol and a lot of sugar. When we politely asked the waitress to bring us a new one she came back with a message from the bartender that the a new glass of Sangria would taste just the same. We ate our dinner and quickly left. Hoping it was a Valentines Day anomaly because we usually love Shark!
- Food really good, service is "meh".OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Went on Valentine's Day. Read on the website that they had a special that night, but really didn't clarify what it was. Asked the server and got special. She asked us for red or white wine. We said white and got red. Asked for a to go box and was told "no". LOL! Supposed to get rose and a gift, got neither. However food was awesome! Has the potential to be more than ambiance.Special Features:
- Had a great time celebratingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/11/2013Had a great time celebrating my moms 60th birthday with my family... She had a blast. Loved the food and the atmosphere... Waitress was great, n was better than I expected.Special Features:
- Great food and great drinks,RBEASVIPDined on 9/20/2012Great food and great drinks, plus a cool little atmosphere. I would definitely return!
- NO point of making a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2012Inside the Shark is awesome the ambiance is really cool and Modern but the place was very noisy. I went with a group of 6 people and had made reservations on Open Table and after 45 min of waiting and after being told "they're cleaning the table right now"(which was a lie) we were told that the table they thought was going to leaving wasn't so we ended up going to the hooka bar Byblos down the street where they seated us right away. I was really looking forward to trying some sushi and took the time to make the reservation so i was extremley disapointed with Shark although it does look like a cool place. tip: don't go there on a Fri or Sat night with a group of more then 3-4 people you WILL NOT get a seat.Special Features:
- Before shark was renovatedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2012Before shark was renovated I had a very good experience. I was not as happy this time around even though the restaurant is very nice looking. Prices are up there but then again you are on Thayer St. I don't mind paying for up scale dining, unfortunately I was not impressed by the sub par sushi, poorly cooked and tasting calamari, and slow waitress. The place wasn't even packed... so i don't understand the slow service. I won't be going back anytime soon or recommending Shark as I have in the past.
- If you're looking for a quietOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012If you're looking for a quiet night out... This is not the place. Music is so loud I could barely hear myself let alone the person right next to me. Great place for a group outing as they have hookah and large drink bowls to share!Special Features:
- A bunch of tables in a smallOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/6/2012A bunch of tables in a small room. Kept getting bumped by waitresses. Other than that, it was good
- It looks like the place isOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012It looks like the place is in the middle of a remodel so the ambience was not very good. The giant Shark tank and the lighting though is amazing and if they finish the remodel, I would like to see the end result. I started with 6 raw oysters but only received 5 for some reason. My second appetizer was the Seafood Ceviche which was amazing!! Perfectly spiced and the fish was very fresh. I then moved on to several different types of Sushi and Maki- all of which were exceptional and properly sized portions. Other members of my party had the following with these comments= Shrimp and Vegetable Tempura/Fair, a little greasy, Lobster Ravioli/Good, but not great, Balsamic Chicken/fair, chicken was overcooked. They should have stuck with the Sushi!Special Features:
- Great place! So glad I foundOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2012Great place! So glad I found this place! Great fish bowl drinks! Best sushi ever! My friend got chicken Parm and she said it wasThe best she ever had! Also smOked hooka there! And great music and dark with candlelight and laser lights. Def will be back! Was there perfect spot mix of restaurant, lounge, hooka bar. Love it!Special Features:
- Roped in & let downOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2012I was looking for a fun place to celebrate my birthday with co-workers. I saw that Shark was a Hibachi restaurant & made the resv. When I called to see how many seats were at a table I was told that Hibachi was no longer available but to keep my business the rest. would give my group 1 free app for every 2 people & free desserts, so I kept the reservation for 10. When we arrived we ordered a few apps & drinks & I told the waitress what I was told earlier, she said she would look into it. It wasn't until the bill came that the waitress told us that they didn’t see the note to my resv. anywhere but would cover 1 app & the 3 desserts we ordered. Very disappointed the rest roped us in & didn't follow through on their offer - do not recommend!!!
- Usually my experience at SharkReecespeanutbcDined on 4/23/2012Usually my experience at Shark is great. Unfortunately this past time however our waitress was awful. She messed up almost our entire order and still made us pay the astronomical amount that her errors caused.
- We were at a conference atOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/30/2012We were at a conference at Brown and five of us went here for dinner on a Friday night during the school's spring break. I made reservations about an hour earlier and they seated us right away. It was bit too dark in our booth but the server got us another candle on request. We were surprised at the expansive menu, which offers sushi as well as pasta and other dishes. I tried the crab bisque, which was delicious, as was the sushi roll I ordered. (I don't remember the name but I think it was a house specialty.) The sake was just right for the cool evening. My dinner companions tried sushi, scallops wrapped in bacon, and miso soup; all met with approval. I forgot my gloves at the table but they held them for me till the next day.Special Features:
- Meredith our waitress is amazing.LauraDined on 2/25/2012Meredith our waitress is amazing. So sweet, so attentive, and so kind.Special Features:
- Our waitress Taylor was outstandingLauraDined on 2/18/2012Our waitress Taylor was outstanding. We were there for a 35th birthday and we brought a homemade red velvet cheesecake. Taylor took it to the kitchen and then brought it out with candles just at the right time. When the cake slices were served, the chef had prepped each slice with strawberries and whipped cream. We received complimentary shots. The food was plentiful and tasty. My favorite restaurant!Special Features:
- my favorite restaurant inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2012my favorite restaurant in providence..they took out hibachi and are turning into a hookah lounge soon
- Server was very friendly andOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/17/2012Server was very friendly and accommodating. Everyone in our party of six was happy with their entree. Decor is painted dark to accentuate the shark tank which is a fun focal point of the interior.Special Features:
- Great night out! The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2012Great night out! The food was tasty and the drinks were delicious! Great, friendly service.Special Features:
- Well Treated!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/28/2012Looking for something new, we picked Shark to try on a busy Saturday night. Food was delicious, portions were big, service was excellent, and drinks were tasty. As an added bonus, our server brought a complementary dessert. We'll definitely be back. Excellent night out.
- Our dinner plans changed atpalmDined on 1/27/2012Our dinner plans changed at the lat minute on a Friday night, with waits of 2-3 hours at all our favorite spots. I hit up Open Table for a suggestions. Shark Sushi Bar came out on top and there was a table wihin 15 minutes. Food was great, drinks were great, service was awesome. When a sweater and umbrella were left at the table after we had left they actually called me to let us know. That is exceptional in this day in age. Two thumbs up!Special Features:
- Had a nice, early dinner NewOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2011Had a nice, early dinner New Years Eve dinner. Our waitress Yebi was great. The seared tuna appetizer with sesame was delicious. The veggie tempura not so.much. the pieces of veggie were too large. The land and surf was good but the Cognac sauce was average. The Lamb chops were great. We were told the restaurant is under new management and we will go back again after some changes in January.Special Features:
- Although we went there forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/9/2011Although we went there for Sushi, we both ended up getting something different - I got the lamb chops and my boyfriend got the paella. Both were good and the sangria bowl we shared was excellent. Service was attentive and friendly and the atmosphere could have been quite romantic except... We tried Shark because Shanghai across the street had blaring dance music making conversation near impossible. Shark had the same music, though certainly not blaring it was at times louder than it should have been (someone kept playing with the volume) and it didn't really match the rest of the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Everyone is so pleasant andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2011Everyone is so pleasant and welcoming. It was a very comfortable dining experience. Ive recommended the Shark to many. Thanks for su h an eclectic menu too!Special Features:
- We had a great night at Shark.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/19/2011We had a great night at Shark. Our 6 yr old is not a very adventurous eater and he loved the hibachi chicken. Very cool and fun night for all. We look forward to going back with a bigger group.Special Features:
- Overall I thought that SharkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2011Overall I thought that Shark had a great atmosphere and friendly staff, but the food wasn't all up to par. The sushi and desserts were delicious but I thought the hibachi lacked in the quality department. I will say that they made up for it with their service because my friends and I ended up waiting far too long to be served at the hibachi grill we sat at, but we were given 4 complimentary desserts for the 9 of us at the end of the meal to thank us for our patience, and we also each got a complimentary shot of an espresso drink for my birthday. The service, sushi, and drinks were worth going for even if the hibachi was bland!Special Features:
- Excellent atmosphere wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2011Excellent atmosphere would absolutely recommend to others!!! Loved sangria bowls!Special Features:
- lunch at BrownAxelVIPDined on 10/28/2011Good for lunch in the Brown University student envirement.Special Features:
- Poor table layout and extremelyRichDined on 10/21/2011Poor table layout and extremely noisy. My dining partner had to move his seat over a dozen times to make room for the wait staff working an adjacent table. We were seated 15 minutes after our Open Table reservation time.
- Made reservations 9:30pm andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2011Made reservations 9:30pm and table was never reserved due to some college function that was going on. Standed for 20 minutes before being seated at the sushi bar. Me and my guest ate our dinner at 10:40pm while seated at the sushi bar which is right next to the habachi grills and we left sharks smelling of fried foodsSpecial Features: