3410 Plum Tree Dr
Ellicott City, MD 21042Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shantygrille.com/
- Phone: 4104659660
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 10:00am - 1:30pm
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jim Harlow/Charles Warner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music on Saturday Evenings 9-12 in the bar
A word from Shanty Grille
The Shanty Grille is a family-owned & operated local business. The King family has been satisfying the cravings of Maryland seafood lovers for over sixty years with fresh, delicious seafood, steaks, pastas and desserts. With a reputation built on scratch-made, fresh food, the Shanty Grille, formerly Crab Shanty, has maintained an unwavering commitment to the community and its guests. Come for a visit, and you will definitely come back for more!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shanty Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
- disappointinga1coolmomDined on 10/27/2013We were regular diners of the Crab Shanty, but am disappointed in the Crab Grill. Prices are higher and the favorites are missing from the menu. No crab imperial, no scallops. We use to love the warm bread and now that's not served either. My favorite, the twice baked potato is now an additional charge. The food we did order was okay and the server was very attentive to our needs but it just wasn't the same. I hope the owners will reconsider some of their changes. The restaurant was basically empty when we arrived at 4 on a Sunday (although it did seem to get slightly busier when we left) and many of the arriving patrons were older citizens who were probably expecting the same thing we were,The old Crab Shanty!
- Solid All Around RestaurantMichaelDined on 9/21/2013Not much else to say. It's the choice for above average food and service. It's not exciting, exotic, or trendy... So take that for what it means. If you're looking for a decent meal and no surprises, this is it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After going to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2013After going to this restaurant for many years, we where disappointed with both the service and food. Not sure we would go back.
- Great food, fun spotHappyguy11Dined on 9/1/2013We had a good time at Shanty Grille. This is our first time eating here since coming under new management and a new name. We were very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entrees were great4HiMarksVIPDined on 8/31/2013The crab cake Cordon Bleu was delicious. The ranch mashed potatoes were rather dry and were obviously prepared in a large batch for the "chef's selection starch" of the night. The asparagus was also a little overdone. But our reservation was for 8:00 since my friend's band was playing in the bar at 9, so if you got there earlier, the sides might be fresher.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2013I read some reviews before going here for dinner and became a little nervous, as some reviews were anything less than favorable. However, as soon as we arrived we were greated by a great staff and taken to our table. Our server, Marty, was fabulous and took great care of us. The food came out fast and was delicious! I will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely not my favoritedisappointinglunchDined on 8/10/2013Definitely not my favorite place. Food came hot, but wasn't particularly flavorful in my opinion (although my husband's steak on his carbonara was cooked nicely). My husband's carbonara was okay, definitely not a very beautiful plate. I had the cedar plank salmon, which was only okay...nothing to write home about.. Absolutely no freebies... (if you want bread you pay for it). The facility is dimly lit, but beautifully decorated. Didn't really feel like it was a good price for the quality of the food.
- We all had the clam chowderOystersanytimeVIPDined on 7/14/2013We all had the clam chowder which was tasty. Soup and salads came together which crowded the table. My sons both commented that the Caesar salad was the best part of the meal. We ordered a range of entrees from Pasta Norcina which was inedible to Rockfish which was loved. The crab cake was the most disappointing one I have had in my 25 years in Baltimore. Service was sketchy for a day when there were only three or four tables occupied. The food is not a great value when compared to the prices. Not likely to go back.
- First Impression: NoticedLuv2EatDined on 7/3/2013First Impression: Noticed weird smell as soon as I walked into the restaurant. It's dark inside, even in the middle of a bright day. Crab dip appetizer was the only thing that was decent. Kitchen messed up order (well done looked very rare). Wouldn't really recommend .
- Special WAS special .... Really !!JIMPALMVIPDined on 6/28/2013Tenpura Rockfish. Entree was very,very good. Recd by our server Linda W who always provides excellent service. Joe makes very good drinks.Special Features:
- Food worth waiting for . . . almostAlohaLouieVIPDined on 6/9/2013We have dined at the Shanty Grille several times and each time received excellent service and good. This time, we went for an early Sunday dinner to beat the crowds. Sure enough, the restaurant was less than one-third full so we figured we'd get good service and served in a timely manner. Wrong. We waited for over an hour for our meal to come . . . along with apologies galore. The food, when it came, was excellent. Still, if this were the first time we had eaten there, we would not return. Having had several good prior experiences, however, we will return . . . maybe just not right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT JUST SEAFOOD ANYMOREJIMPALMVIPDined on 6/7/2013The dishes we ordered were prepared perfectly this visit with top notch service by Tammy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shanty Grille does it right.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2013The service, food, and ambiance were great overall. My only criticism is that the food was warm, and could have been hotter. However, we've eaten at Shanty on several occasions and never had an issue with this. The menu is vaied and theprices are reasonable, especially the small plates selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming/OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2013Our waiter was great - attenttive and accommodating. All food was served in a timely manner. Presentation was lacking - no eye appeal. We had steamed clams and tuna apps. The Jasmine rice on the tuna app was dry. We each got the crab cakes, a single and double. The vegetables (broccoli and carrots) took over the plates. I got fries instead of the carrots, but they could have stayed in the frier a little longer. The crab cakes, roughly 4 oz each/no larger than 6 oz were moist, had some good lump crab in them and tasted pretty good, but wasn't picked out well - we each got numerous pieces of shell. $32 for my double was high. 2 iced teas, 2 apps, 2 entrees, no dessert/coffee and basic bill was $85. Overpriced for the amounts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okGlenDined on 5/4/2013Nothing to write home about. I would have expected more seafood on the menu. When will someone ever make a shrimp dish and remove the tails for you!? Nothing like eating a dish then having to dig through the meal to remove the tails with your fingers. Also, I phoned prior to using open table and was told that they don't take reservations of two people. So that's why I used this service because I could book it for two. I also told them this was my 17th wedding anniversary and asked for a nice table. We got the small booth across from the bus station even though the restaurant was half empty. Waiter and busboy were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'd go back!goodtoeatDined on 4/27/2013Each of the six of us commented on how good the food was. Our waitress, Nicole, was very attentive. Most of the tables were full of guests, but we had no problem with excessive noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but inflexible managemenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2013The pros of the Shanty Grille was they had a great kids menu - the chicken fingers were really very good. They always have excellent crabcakes. My disappoint lies with the inflexibility of management to provide what a diner requests. For example, I wanted to order off the small plates menu and add a crab cake a la carte (and of course pay for it). The waitress went back to management and they refused. Then I wanted the 2x baked potato instead of the wild rice/red skinned potatoes ( I would have paid extra) and they also refused that request. My recommendation is if the customer is willing to pay, why not give them what they want? I probably won't go back because of this inflexibility.
- Quick weekday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/3/2013Even though we just had sandwiches and a glass of wine, the food was very good,well my chicken was very good, my partner's pulled pork was too dry, but both were attractively served, and we loved the hand made chips.Special Features:
- We like the Shanty and theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013We like the Shanty and the wine, dinner, and desert were all very good. The only hitch was that one of the entrees was cold and had to be sent backSpecial Features:
- This was the first time IOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/2/2013This was the first time I ate at the Shanty Grille (Saturday night). We were a party of 4. There was no place to place my winter coat, the booth was cozy for 4 so I had to stash my coat behind me and squeeze my purse in. The shanty Grille was completely booked, my cocktail was spilled on the floor but they served it to me anyway. The fish portion was small but tasty. The best thing was that they were so busy that we were not rushed through any portion of our meal. The chocolate molten cake was absuletly to die for.Special Features:
- service somewhat slow; drinkOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013service somewhat slow; drink orders not filled promptly or accurately, waitress left on bill a charge for an incorrect bar order; felt like the customer has to watch the bill and service too much. Food fine. But if this poor service from both bar and waitress happened another time, I would not recommend the place. The Grille is the successor to a longtime seafood restaurant, with a plain menu but great service. Now it has upgraded to nouvelle cuisine plus MD seafood, but the service seriously declined. Perhaps. We will try it one more time. But diners should be wary of poorly fulfulled orders and incorrect bills.
- Nice spot for our family nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2013Nice spot for our family night out. We hadn't been in a while and the menu had changed dramatically since our last visit a few years back. Less fresh fish options was disappointing but we still enjoyed our meal. The service was great and the place was packed by the time we left.Special Features:
- Very nice dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2012Very nice dining experience. We took my Mom and Dad for a birthday lunch during the week and it was great service and food - we all had seafood (crab cakes, stuffed shrip...). Will return.Special Features: