500 Terry Ave N.
Seattle, WA 98109Neighborhood:
Lake Union / Eastlake
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://shanikrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2064866884
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Sa 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Meeru Dhalwala
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Shanik
Shanik is a modern Indian restaurant that serves our personal Indian cuisine which is creative and daring, yet comforting. We invite our customers into a version of India that is not intimidating, cliché, or a rehashing of what is traditionally marketed as Indian. Our restaurant is the same version of Indian that Meeru is: North American in lifestyle and attitude, while rooted in Indian heritage and cuisine. We take pride in making our own yogurt, paneer and ghee, as well as; sifting, grinding, and roasting our spices in-house. Our open kitchen is designed specifically so our diners can experience the warmth of our cooks, and signifies a sharing of heats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shanik reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (70)good for groups (33)special occasion (32)neighborhood gem (31)romantic (23)great for lunch (21)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (5)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Service not greatJennaSophiaDined on 8/22/2014Staff wasn't very on the ball and when I asked for a refill on chai, the young woman seemed as if she was put out to provide us the service one should receive at a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014We were a group of 4 and the food was good but not outstanding. We had 3 appetizers and 4 entrees so we experienced a range of dishes. It wasn't notably better than our neighborhood indian restaurant and it was quite a bit more expensive.Special Features:
- Good and possibly greatairmilesguyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Had a lovely meal here, the food is excellent, the service is good. Nothing bad, but seems like it just needs a little lift in some way. Overall though, as long as they turn their menu over often, it is good. I will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too spicyartistandeaterDined on 8/16/2014Our group of 5 ordered a variety of things; best by far was the beef spare-rib. It was delicious. But the vegetarian dishes had a ubiquitous, harsh spiciness that was tiresome to the palate. (We love Indian food generally!) The ambiance is OK but not special. Waiters were nice. Because I really love Indian food, I will stick to the more traditional, excellent choices in Seattle (Taste of India, Saffron, Bengal Tiger). For less traditional, more trendy/fancy Indian food, I prefer Poppy on Capitol Hill.
- tasty but overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014tasty but not worth the price or expense. the lamb popsicles and gulab jamun were really nice, though samosas and kofta nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Great food but portion size is ughhCoryVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was very good but I would've like a little larger portions. $75 and I left hungry.Special Features:
- Doesn't measure up to Vij'sMarkT1970VIPDined on 8/14/2014We have been looking forward to trying this out having enjoyed Vij's in Vancouver. Been reluctant to go when it didn't take reservations. Got in with a Rez no problem and now we see why. While the starters were very good, the service was haphazard and inattentive, and the mains were almost flavorless. Had the salmon and the cauliflower veg Dishes for main courses and they were surprisingly flavorless. This place has good DNA and potential, but it won't make it with the local foodies unless it steps up its game. Waitstaff needs to be better trained, kitchen needs to learn to manage output and flavoring and the wine list needs a little better pairing by the glass withe the promised Indian flavors.
- Indian Food HeavenFireballRobertsDined on 8/11/2014The Indian food at Shanik is out of this world. The flavor palate is exceptional and you leave craving more. We had a fairly large group of "Food lovers" and tried just about everything on the menu. There was not one single dish that was not amazing. All of the sauces are simply amazing. If you love Indian food or just really good fresh and organically sourced food, this is a must try restaurant.Special Features:
- great meal with out of town guestsluvs2eatDined on 8/8/2014A very unique take on Indian food. Not your traditional. Probably the best Indian restaurant in the city of Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014High prices, although food is good and portions are fine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian FoodWallasweetVIPDined on 8/6/2014Our food was delicious, creative and fun to share. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious IndianJhubeDined on 8/6/2014Delicious Indian food in an upscale setting. Attentive service and tasty options led to a wonderful work lunch.Special Features:
- Fabulousness!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2014Creative and flavorful food. Clean simple atmosphere. Reasonably priced. Loved the flexibility of half portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat night, parked right in frontFuzzyoneDined on 7/26/2014Nicely appointed, well prepared food tho on the bland side. Sampled 7 entrees, all good (not a hint of mutton in the lamb,) generous portions except for the beef short ribs (90% gravy, not nearly enough to share.) I'm a serious carnivore, but liked the vegetarian entree best. Oh, and prepare to cup your ears and read lips because conversation and wait staff explanations are EXCEEDINGLY hard to hear due to ambient noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cricketeufwDined on 7/25/2014Had to try it. the ground crickets were very tasty as was everything else. We were a group of 6 and was nice to be able to hold a conversation even though the restaurant was full. Tables are spaced apart so very comfortable. wonderful service and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not a great findNotBlandDined on 7/24/2014Still waiting for a Vij of our own. The place is of a piece with the growing number of new restaurants in the South Lake Union area - trendy, bright, upscale, pricey. I was there for lunch with two friends, so we had the opportunity of a fair sample of the fairly limited lunch menu. The menu is surprisingly inventive, and very fusion-ish, non-"Indian" in food combinations and presentation. The food is good, bright flavors, almost very good in not being the usual mush of flavor that is so much the common experience of Indian restaurants here. But it is not memorably good-tasting. Service was very good, responsive to questions and modifications, sufficiently attentive as the lunch crowd grew.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alway AmazingATwinesDined on 7/23/2014Our first steps through the door were greeted with a friendly smile & welcome. Lovely table for two, chai tea to warm the senses. A unique menu (only addition I would make is a few more finger friendly appy's) and wonderful wine selection. Then came the food, so delicious, the layering of flavors built in your mouth and then a sip of wine to start the whole process again. We truly loved our experience at Shanik. Being a devoted Vij's patron for so many years, very happy Meeru & Vikram decided to expand. We will be back. cheers, ArielSpecial Features:
- Excellent foodkk58Dined on 7/23/2014Excellent food, especially the sauces. Lamb lollipops not to be missed. Indian food on a whole different level than what you usually get. The custard dessert was different and delicious and just right for the meal. Pleasant, professional service. The only thing we didn't like was the seating in the bar. They really should just replace the pretty but very uncomfortable stools and chairs.Special Features:
- Variety of interesting dishesCindyVIPDined on 7/22/2014Not just a regular Indian restaurant, lots of interesting foods, well prepared and presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/22/2014Food was great! Server was awful! Luckily, there were other servers to pick up the slack. While it is nice that you can grab any of the servers walking by, the customer should never have to constantly ask for food/drink throughout the evening. It was not a busy evening, other than one large table.Special Features:
- Great food!JohnDined on 7/21/2014My wife loves indian food and this is her favorite restaurant. Indian food often upsets my stomach but Shanik's fare doesn't, I'm a foodie from way back and Shanik turns out excellent food. My wife and sister are both Gluten free and Shanik was able to accommodate this with numerous Gluten free options and even substituted corn chapati for the usual naan. We eat there whenever we are in Seattle.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/11/2014A friend had recommended this restaurant on our recent visit to Seattle and our expectations were exceed by 1000+ times. Almost immediately upon being seated the chef/owner came to our table to provide personal recommendations for our seven year old boys. She us provided recommendations to myself and husband. The food was absolutely amazing - best we had during our Seattle trip (and we tend to be harsh critics when it comes to food). Great feeling in the place as well - party going on in back part of restaurant, outdoor dining available and amazing/courteous wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so-so...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Staff and service were very good but the food was on the rough side. I've had better Indian food elsewhere for much less $$$ and not overly spiced.
- Lunchtime treatJaneWDined on 7/9/2014Shanik is quiet and comfortable. It is easy to order a delicious meal which arrives promptly and is served by polite, friendly staff. We have not tried the dinner menu but for lunch this a wonderful place and the prices are very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Variations sometimes missedveggieKDined on 7/5/2014They use local ingredients and do twists on classic South Asian food...and they didn't always work. Staff was very helpful, but I just don't want dill in my samosas.
- Great Indian Foodjmg98118VIPDined on 7/5/2014I went with my husband, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law who are from India, and they all raved about the food. The Lamb Popsicle s were all they were said to be, great flavor and cooked well. The Chicken in curry sauce was very flavorful. The only draw back was they were out of Kofta, being it was fairly early in the evening 7:30 pm this was a bit surprising, but the chicken schnitzel was a great substitute. Overall a very nice experienceSpecial Features:
- DinnerwannabefoodieDined on 7/5/2014The food, service and environment were excellent. The only thing that was disappointing were the portions. We were told when we were ordering that the portions were enough to share with others at the table. With this information, we were disappointed when the food arrived. There was barely enough to share with others. We enjoyed Vij's in Vancouver but were disappointed with Shanik. We will continue to look for other options in Seattle. Pat
- Disappointing food, lovely settingRookwoodDined on 7/5/2014I don't like to be harsh, since I'm sure they're trying, but the kitchen is letting this place down. The atmosphere and service are great, but this is without a doubt the worst Indian food I have ever had. It really is nowhere near as good as the Trader Joe's frozen Indian entrees. And it's worse than even the lowest-end places in strip malls I've been to.
- Great start for our family vacationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2014Had a great time at shanik. So many wonderful flavors to choose from, each one unique. The owner helped us sort out the menu to accommodate our large group so everyone could try everything. Very nice wine selection to pair with your meal. Highly recSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not a Vij's clone but still goodAFAFDined on 7/1/2014We went to Shanik because we loved its famous sister restaurant in Vancouver, Vij's. While the two places have some similarities, they are not the same and you shouldn't go expecting a Seattle Vij's. Go ready to try the restaurant for its own sake and you will have a better time. The drinks were interesting; the samosa appetizer was terrific. I had a cold salad plate of mung beans and brussel sprouts that was fine, but not outstanding. Could have used more seasoning, actually. The dessert, rice pudding, was good but too sweet for my taste, and a bit of a letdown given how fondly I remembered the mango icecream at Vij's. We will go back, and happily, but won't order as adventurously, since they seem to do the standards best.Special Features:
- amazingjakieDined on 6/20/2014the best indian food i ever ate. a bit pricey but worth it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- More fresh greensAE2014Dined on 6/20/2014What was described as a salad was lacking in a few crisp greens. Otherwise a very pleasant lunch.Special Features:
- Great Food, funny storyTVfoodieDined on 6/19/2014Our group was celebrating a couple of graduations, and we had a very good experience. The food was very tasty, and able to accommodate some dietary restrictions. The funny story is that the building had a fire drill during the meal, and we all had to go outside and sit in the outdoor seating area. The staff was very helpful, and offered to bring our desserts outside for us. The drill did not last long, and we finished out meal back inside after a few minutes. It certainly made the lunch more memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodRobinGLDined on 6/14/2014Shanik is delicious and I am a considerably excellent Indian cook myself so my standards are very high. This is high-end, fragrant, unusual food and very worth the price. It would appeal to those who believe that they don't like Indian food because they have tasted mostly the more standard version of this fine cuisine in usual Seattle restaurants. Shanik's efforts are sublime--on the spicey/hot side but never overwhelming and the blends of flavors really layered and complex. And not all dishes taste alike. The Tandoori/grilled chicken was amazing--still moist--and the grilled vegetables equally delicious. I plan to return and eat my way through the menu. Desserts not worth the calories in my view--rice pudding--lovely cardamon infusedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulFoodBeaDined on 6/7/2014All members of our dinner party are Vij fans and make a point of having at least one meal at Vij's when in Vancouver. Shanik did not disappoint! We had a wonderful dinner experience and all shall return to explore more of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chilly bellyChellyBellyDined on 6/6/2014Great food! A friend and I stopped in and at first the price seemed a bit high but you get a large amount of really tasty food. We shared an appetizer, a main dish, delicious free chi tea with free refills, naan and rice refills with the entree and had leftovers. We paid $20 each for great food in a friendly and beautiful atmosphere. It feels like the staff really take pride in the food they serve and the service they provide. Overall a wonderful inviting experience I would recommend to Indian food lovers and those new to Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place.KW33VIPDined on 6/6/2014Would definitely return here. The food and the staff are amazing! And they catered to my never ending food needs. So good!!!Special Features:
- DisappointedSpivDined on 5/31/2014I have dined at VJ in Vancouver. This trendy restaurant has great decor but the food was a play on Indian food that did not make it.
- Amazing Food and ServiceFunfoodDined on 5/24/2014The food was incredible with exceptional service!! We shared an amazing Kale with Paneer appetizer then ordered two main dishes - one veggie (more Kale) and the Beef short ribs. This was the perfect amount of food for the two of us, where we left not too full but very filled and satisfied. The service team was awesome in that they have a team approach and we never felt like we were waiting for anything nor did we feel rushed. It felt very natural and made for an enjoyable evening. I'm already looking forward to going back and trying more dishes, but it will be hard not to order the Short Ribs again - they were the best ever!!Special Features:
- Not your regular curry placeSueGDined on 5/24/2014This is elevated Indian food, so if you are looking for a big bowl of butter chicken or any of your go to curries, go somewhere else. This food is delicious and worth a trip because it is different and a bit adventurous. I will definitely go back for the short ribs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.