500 Terry Ave N.
Seattle, WA 98109Neighborhood:
Lake Union / Eastlake
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://shanikrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2064866884
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Sa 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Meeru Dhalwala
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Shanik
Shanik is a modern Indian restaurant that serves our personal Indian cuisine which is creative and daring, yet comforting. We invite our customers into a version of India that is not intimidating, cliché, or a rehashing of what is traditionally marketed as Indian. Our restaurant is the same version of Indian that Meeru is: North American in lifestyle and attitude, while rooted in Indian heritage and cuisine. We take pride in making our own yogurt, paneer and ghee, as well as; sifting, grinding, and roasting our spices in-house. Our open kitchen is designed specifically so our diners can experience the warmth of our cooks, and signifies a sharing of heats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shanik reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)good for groups (46)neighborhood gem (39)special occasion (33)romantic (26)great for lunch (25)hot spot (14)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (6)notable wine list (5)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Upscale and UniquemwolfDined on 9/23/2014This is not your standard Indian fare. They have the usual things, basmati and naan, but paired with much more elegant mains. Try the lamb popsicles. Wonderfully tender and well seasoned.Special Features:
- PointbobpatronsDined on 9/22/2014Great food and spices are amazing. Lamb popsicles are as good as Vij's in Vancouver. Louder than needed lounge music being played did not fit at all with vibe at restaurant. Location is in a bit of a dead area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Indian foodNandNVIPDined on 9/20/2014This is a great Indian restaurant-maybe the best in Seattle. Make a reservation, especially in the evening, as this place is very popular. It will not disappoint. Service great too.Special Features:
- AllisonDined on 9/19/2014The food was very good and the service was very good one they waited on us. It took them about 15 minutes just to take our drink order.Special Features:
- Outstanding cuisinecfamomDined on 9/18/2014Shanik is one of the best restaurants in Seattle, certainly the best in Indian food. I'd refer to it as a destination for gourmets who appreciate fine cooking and excellent seasoning. Each meal can be as spicy or as mild as you choose. The atmosphere and ambiance are upscale and sophisticated, but since it's Seattle, there's no dress code required.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Right on!HappydinerVIPDined on 9/18/2014This was our first time back to Shanik in a year and we were THRILLED that they now offer reservations!! (Probably would not have gone otherwise) Our vegan son was visiting and we thought this would offer easy and delicicious options for us all. Starting off with hot chai, (offering a vegan version to son), warmed us up to share several appetizers. Our son's Grilled Vegetables on some kind of smoky tomato sauce, was the table favorite, followed closely by son-in-law's excellent Venison entree. The service was attentive, friendly and efficient. Food was excellent. There was a good crowd and lively atmosphere. And now with reservations, we'll be back more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a hot spot!belltownbuzzDined on 9/16/2014We used an Amazon Local deal to dine at Shanik. Since we are not really familiar with Indian cuisine this was a great opportunity to sample something new. The restaurant was very busy on a tuesday evening. There were a couple of large groups as well as the usual couples and foursomes. The service was a little slow and I'm sure the big groups ordering all at once had something to do with this. But our waiter and a nice young woman offering water stopped by several times so we didn't feel too neglected. Now on to the food. There are lots of interesting choices, lots of vegetarian options, then chicken, fish, lamb and short ribs. Everything we had was pretty highly spiced, so the water was welcome. The desserts were my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and perfect portionDipsDined on 9/13/2014We were a party of 6 and ordered 10 dishes, we had no left overs. Their food was great as well the portions were perfect. Loved their goat, lamb and paneer dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacks identityanonDined on 9/13/2014Food at the restaurant lacked character, taste and was a pure disaster.
- Unique menu, professional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014The food and service were outstanding. We had five people in our party and one had special dietary needs which were dealt with in a smooth, accommodating way (we used Open Table to provide that info a few days in advance). Shanik's ambiance is not particularly innovative, but the menu is and that's what we were looking for. Service was top-notch. When one server didn't know the answer to a question, another immediately came by and answered it. A high-end experience. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good experiencetheVainFoodieDined on 9/9/2014Shanik is an Indian fusion restaurant. Comfortably situated in the South Lake Union area, this restaurant has nice decor, a very friendly wait team (they are not called staff) and simple menu to grok. The food was fair, and basically lacked the creativity I would expect in a Indian fusion food, since fusion is all about creativity. I got the Spicy eggplant and black garbanzo peas. The eggplant tasted fine, nothing too memorable or spicy as a matter of fact. The garbanzo peas was essentially cooked in tomato sauce and lacked any flavor, It reminded me of my try at 'kala channa masala' from a recipe book. Here is my 2cents: Go for the ambiance, go for the drinks, don't go there expecting memorable foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MaryGDined on 9/9/2014We were with a small group and ordered plates to share. Everying was so delicious, cooked perfectly and with amazing sauces. This is not your typical Indian restaurant,definitely a cut above!Special Features:
- Meeting Meeru at ShaniksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014A fine luncheon experience, food, service, ambience and interesting locale. Meeru, made us welcome and gave us information about the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, imaginative foodDancingDinerDined on 8/30/2014A friend and I ate at Shanik on a recent vacation in Seattle. We were impressed with the food, which was flavorful and abundant, and with the cocktails. The decor was interesting and tasteful and the service was friendly. I would definitely recommend it!Special Features:
- a sharing restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014The food is not plated for completeness per individual order. We loved, loved, loved our pork main. We also liked our mango chutney on type of starter. Our grilled veggies in spicy sauce, with brown basmati and ?lentils? - it was our other main - was good, not sensational but the pork was so sensational that the measuring stick was impossibly "tall." Service is team driven. Which is good except, in our case, the server who took our order took the grilled veggie dish down wrong & the server who delivered our entrees had the role of smoothing life over. I was a titch uncomfortable accepting an apology from someone who had zero to do with the input error (the input is via a device which looked like a smart phone. Def not paper & pencil.Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014my second time- this time for a birthday celebration. Great food again, knowledgeable staff. terrific bottle of wine. The cardamom soaked cakes for dessert were *****Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to Seattle diningtampa4foodVIPDined on 8/23/2014A much needed contemporary Indian restaurant. Innovative menu with some original dishes including rare green jackfruit/kale/cauliflower curry. The Grilled Salmon curry was awesome. The Papri Chaat could have used more seasoning and acidity. The tanginess of chaat was missing. The Indian inspired cocktails were flat. Overall I felt the chef and bartender can be more brave in pushing bolder Indian flavors, like Vij in Vancouver or Vermillion in Chicago, instead of playing it safe with toned down spices and seasonings. I am certain the average American diner in larger cities like Seattle has a palate evolved enough to appreciate rich ethnic flavors. No need to play safe anymore, just let your rich spices shine!Special Features:
- Service not greatJennaSophiaVIPDined on 8/22/2014Staff wasn't very on the ball and when I asked for a refill on chai, the young woman seemed as if she was put out to provide us the service one should receive at a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014We were a group of 4 and the food was good but not outstanding. We had 3 appetizers and 4 entrees so we experienced a range of dishes. It wasn't notably better than our neighborhood indian restaurant and it was quite a bit more expensive.Special Features:
- Good and possibly greatairmilesguyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Had a lovely meal here, the food is excellent, the service is good. Nothing bad, but seems like it just needs a little lift in some way. Overall though, as long as they turn their menu over often, it is good. I will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too spicyartistandeaterDined on 8/16/2014Our group of 5 ordered a variety of things; best by far was the beef spare-rib. It was delicious. But the vegetarian dishes had a ubiquitous, harsh spiciness that was tiresome to the palate. (We love Indian food generally!) The ambiance is OK but not special. Waiters were nice. Because I really love Indian food, I will stick to the more traditional, excellent choices in Seattle (Taste of India, Saffron, Bengal Tiger). For less traditional, more trendy/fancy Indian food, I prefer Poppy on Capitol Hill.
- tasty but overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014tasty but not worth the price or expense. the lamb popsicles and gulab jamun were really nice, though samosas and kofta nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Great food but portion size is ughhCoryVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was very good but I would've like a little larger portions. $75 and I left hungry.Special Features:
- Doesn't measure up to Vij'sMarkT1970VIPDined on 8/14/2014We have been looking forward to trying this out having enjoyed Vij's in Vancouver. Been reluctant to go when it didn't take reservations. Got in with a Rez no problem and now we see why. While the starters were very good, the service was haphazard and inattentive, and the mains were almost flavorless. Had the salmon and the cauliflower veg Dishes for main courses and they were surprisingly flavorless. This place has good DNA and potential, but it won't make it with the local foodies unless it steps up its game. Waitstaff needs to be better trained, kitchen needs to learn to manage output and flavoring and the wine list needs a little better pairing by the glass withe the promised Indian flavors.
- Indian Food HeavenFireballRobertsDined on 8/11/2014The Indian food at Shanik is out of this world. The flavor palate is exceptional and you leave craving more. We had a fairly large group of "Food lovers" and tried just about everything on the menu. There was not one single dish that was not amazing. All of the sauces are simply amazing. If you love Indian food or just really good fresh and organically sourced food, this is a must try restaurant.Special Features:
- great meal with out of town guestsluvs2eatDined on 8/8/2014A very unique take on Indian food. Not your traditional. Probably the best Indian restaurant in the city of Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014High prices, although food is good and portions are fine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian FoodWallasweetVIPDined on 8/6/2014Our food was delicious, creative and fun to share. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and serviceStewartDined on 8/6/2014If you are a fan of Indian Cuisine you must try Shanik! A little different twist on some of the dishes but tremendously delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious IndianJhubeDined on 8/6/2014Delicious Indian food in an upscale setting. Attentive service and tasty options led to a wonderful work lunch.Special Features:
- Fabulousness!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2014Creative and flavorful food. Clean simple atmosphere. Reasonably priced. Loved the flexibility of half portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat night, parked right in frontFuzzyoneDined on 7/26/2014Nicely appointed, well prepared food tho on the bland side. Sampled 7 entrees, all good (not a hint of mutton in the lamb,) generous portions except for the beef short ribs (90% gravy, not nearly enough to share.) I'm a serious carnivore, but liked the vegetarian entree best. Oh, and prepare to cup your ears and read lips because conversation and wait staff explanations are EXCEEDINGLY hard to hear due to ambient noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cricketeufwDined on 7/25/2014Had to try it. the ground crickets were very tasty as was everything else. We were a group of 6 and was nice to be able to hold a conversation even though the restaurant was full. Tables are spaced apart so very comfortable. wonderful service and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not a great findNotBlandDined on 7/24/2014Still waiting for a Vij of our own. The place is of a piece with the growing number of new restaurants in the South Lake Union area - trendy, bright, upscale, pricey. I was there for lunch with two friends, so we had the opportunity of a fair sample of the fairly limited lunch menu. The menu is surprisingly inventive, and very fusion-ish, non-"Indian" in food combinations and presentation. The food is good, bright flavors, almost very good in not being the usual mush of flavor that is so much the common experience of Indian restaurants here. But it is not memorably good-tasting. Service was very good, responsive to questions and modifications, sufficiently attentive as the lunch crowd grew.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alway AmazingATwinesDined on 7/23/2014Our first steps through the door were greeted with a friendly smile & welcome. Lovely table for two, chai tea to warm the senses. A unique menu (only addition I would make is a few more finger friendly appy's) and wonderful wine selection. Then came the food, so delicious, the layering of flavors built in your mouth and then a sip of wine to start the whole process again. We truly loved our experience at Shanik. Being a devoted Vij's patron for so many years, very happy Meeru & Vikram decided to expand. We will be back. cheers, ArielSpecial Features:
- Excellent foodkk58Dined on 7/23/2014Excellent food, especially the sauces. Lamb lollipops not to be missed. Indian food on a whole different level than what you usually get. The custard dessert was different and delicious and just right for the meal. Pleasant, professional service. The only thing we didn't like was the seating in the bar. They really should just replace the pretty but very uncomfortable stools and chairs.Special Features:
- Variety of interesting dishesCindyVIPDined on 7/22/2014Not just a regular Indian restaurant, lots of interesting foods, well prepared and presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/22/2014Food was great! Server was awful! Luckily, there were other servers to pick up the slack. While it is nice that you can grab any of the servers walking by, the customer should never have to constantly ask for food/drink throughout the evening. It was not a busy evening, other than one large table.Special Features:
- Great food!JohnDined on 7/21/2014My wife loves indian food and this is her favorite restaurant. Indian food often upsets my stomach but Shanik's fare doesn't, I'm a foodie from way back and Shanik turns out excellent food. My wife and sister are both Gluten free and Shanik was able to accommodate this with numerous Gluten free options and even substituted corn chapati for the usual naan. We eat there whenever we are in Seattle.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/11/2014A friend had recommended this restaurant on our recent visit to Seattle and our expectations were exceed by 1000+ times. Almost immediately upon being seated the chef/owner came to our table to provide personal recommendations for our seven year old boys. She us provided recommendations to myself and husband. The food was absolutely amazing - best we had during our Seattle trip (and we tend to be harsh critics when it comes to food). Great feeling in the place as well - party going on in back part of restaurant, outdoor dining available and amazing/courteous wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.