108 E Superior
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ChinesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://chicago.peninsula.com/en/fine-dining/shanghai-terrace-chinese-restaurant
- Phone: (312) 573-6744
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch 11:30 am to 2:00 pm (Sun – Sat)
Cocktails* 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm (Sun – Sat)
Dinner 5:00 pm to 10:30 pm (Sun – Sat)
*Cocktail hours do not include food service. Food service resumes with dinner at 5:00 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Executive Chef: Ivan Yuen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi Private Dining Room available for up to 30 guests. Set menu required. For larger parties The Peninsula Chicago offers a wide variety of banquet facilities.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Ashtari 3125736968x
A word from Shanghai Terrace
Recently ranked the number one "Chinese Restaurant in Chicago" by Zagat, the exquisite Asian decor enhances the intimate atmosphere of this venue, which is unique to the city of Chicago. Seating capacity fits 75 guests with additional seating on the Terrace during temperate weather. Also features an intimate Private Dining Room for up to 30 guests. The Shanghai Terrace offers Eastern skyline views over Chicago, serving Chinese cuisine with an emphasis on Cantonese and Shanghainese specialties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
Shanghai Terrace - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Shanghai Terrace reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (76)great for outdoor dining (71)fit for foodies (71)romantic (58)scenic view (44)great for lunch (27)good for groups (26)notable wine list (18)neighborhood gem (16)hot spot (14)late-night find (9)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Good food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2014We were promptly seated and then waited quite a long time for a menu and our wine. Surprisingly, our dumplings were a bit hard. Our food was good, but not spectacular. Our server was pleasant. Probably won't go back.
- Fantastic Asian ExperiencefoodbugVIPDined on 11/16/2014This is a rare chance to experience elegant Chinese food in a lovely intimate setting. Start with Dim Sum and continue with outstanding duck or seafood entresSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, great food, but pricey!RosybelDined on 11/14/2014I highly recommend the spicy beef pot stickers, golden shrimp and kung pao spicy chicken-delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what i was looking forjavierVIPDined on 11/12/2014Great food, great restaurant and excellent service. Thanks Annie for the great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous diningOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/11/2014The food at Shanghai Terrace is outstanding. They are helpful deciding what to order to make a fabulous meal to share. The service is impeccable - I was called by my name by the staff. In the winter it is warm and cozy, beautiful ambience, in the summer they have the terrace. I hadn't been in a long time and can't wait to go back. Well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat. night dinnerfoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014Great food and service. Love this place. The shrimp was so tender. The sea bass was great. Everything is so fresh. Great suggestions by the staff.Special Features:
- Very good Cantonese cuisineJudithLDined on 11/8/2014We had beef pot stickers, a non spicy eggplant dish, and wok fried rack of lamb (boogles my mind how that can be done). The lamb was done perfectly to the requested medium rare. The pot stickers were so delicious that I want to try more dishes from the extensive dim sum menu on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NatashaDined on 11/8/2014We liked it! It was quite romantic place for dinner.Special Features:
- High-End Dim Sum?Dogbert95Dined on 11/8/2014Well, not sure if it's high-end only because it's in the Peninsula. Best way to describe this would be... if you were in Hong Kong, this is what Dim Sum would look like at the local 4 star hotel, vs. at the best spots in town. You know... "westernized" while retaining some of the original. They're nicely prepared, well presented, colors and whatnot added for visual effect. Taste was fine.. not the best dim sum you'll ever eat... but it was good. (better than what we have where I live where there isn't that strong a Chinese community). Worth a visit - if you want a nice quiet place to have some lunch and you're in middle of downtown and don't feel like driving anywhere and you just have that hankering for some dim sum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatChoosyVIPDined on 11/7/2014Although well presented, the Kung pao chicken wasn't any different from other Chinese restaurants where I have had this dish before at a fraction of their price. My husband enjoyed his fried lobster dish, but couldn't call it great, just good to very good. Nice atmosphere. Impeccable service and food well presented but if you are expecting original out of this worl Chinese food, you will only find the "wow factor" in the priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant dim sumDowntownDinerVIPDined on 11/4/2014Great food and excellent service. Dessert was amazing. Will be back to explore the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All-Time Top 5 Dining ExperienceKaranVIPDined on 10/29/2014I don't usually write reviews unless I have extremely polarizing experiences. Shanghai Terrace was that rare experience that exceeded even our loftiest expectations. The food was delightful - we ordered the vegetable dumplings, which were by far the freshest, and flavorful we've had. The kung pao tofu was just the right amount of hot and spicy. My wife's cocktail was excellent too. We weren't crazy about the mango ice cream that came as part of the chocolate parfait though. The service was excellent; from being seated, to making sure we didn't run out of wine, to overall courteousness - we knew we were going to go back there the moment we stepped out. Don't miss this place if you like good Asian food and cocktails.Special Features:
- Tried and TrueLetsEatOutTonightVIPDined on 10/28/2014I have never been disappointed in my dining experiences at Shanghai Terrace. The service remains exemplary and the food carefully prepared with the finest of ingredients. The duck and foie gras dumplings were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceMazin13Dined on 10/27/2014Good food, great ambiance, excellent outdoor dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic high end ChineseStormypetrolDined on 10/26/2014Finding your way through the Peninsula to Shanghai Terrace is less than easy but the restaurant that awaits you is well worth finding. Beautiful decor; impeccable service; charming staff; all combine to raise expectations. We had 4 different dim sum between three as an ample starter. Exceptional. We then had an entree each with a special rice also all very nice though not quite on a par with the dim sum. Highly recommended but this is proper Chinese food at serious food prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alexalexDined on 10/23/2014Best Chinese cuisine in the city...innovative and unique making the experience well worth the price. Servers are professional and the wine we selected was really perfect for the entree choices. The outdoor seating was just romantic and serene which was an added bonus. Highly recommended from two foodies!Special Features:
- ElegantVRDaveDined on 10/23/2014A Chinese restaurant doesn't get more elegant or well located than this. Delicious, carefully prepared food, excellent service. Nice terrace if weather permits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience at Shanghai TerracejcloftDined on 10/21/2014Very nice and elegant chinese restaurant. Our experience was good. The food is not outstanding, but good.Special Features:
- Great Expectations ThwartedDACKVIPDined on 10/21/2014Being devotees of Hakkasan, an international chain of Michelin starred restaurants in London and New York, we hoped that Shanghai Terrace would fill the void of really excellent Chinese food in Chicago. Sadly it did not. We found that the main courses, were too highly seasoned and the preparations didn't work. The sweet potatoes and lamb were odd and although the lobster was tasty, the glass noodles were hardly to be found.The portions were very small, making the expensive prices unjustifiable. The dim sum lacked delicacy and freshness and the peking duck salad was nondescript. Sadly the best part of the meal was the complimentary almond cookies and the chocolates and the surroundings and ambience were excellent! We will not return!
- DisappointingedubrDined on 10/18/2014Frustrated expectations, especially with relation to food, which I believe not to be the best chinese in Chicago.
- DelicousSaturdayDined on 10/18/2014The food was wonderfully flavored and elegantly presented. The best Chinese meal we have ever had.Special Features:
- Very good chinese foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014The taste is very good, the ambient, but the price is quite expensive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Chinese LunchGregVIPDined on 10/9/2014We were looking for a nice lunch in the area and saw that Shanghai Terrace was highly rated. We were not disappointed! Great food, great service in a lovely setting. The shrimp and chive potstickers were our favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodGoodVIPDined on 10/8/2014Great dining experience. Miser vice was great. Not very big, they do have outdoor dining. We thought it was going to be very expensive, but it was in line with most nice restaurants we go to. If nice, ask for the terrace.ourwaiter , Max, was accommodating and friendly. Made for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food way overpricedBradDined on 10/7/2014The Peking duck was good, but not $80 good. The wine list was absurdly expensive. The duck was supposed to be 3 courses, but the last 2 came at once. Decreased the experience considerably.
- Dinner was shanghai'd...LainchDined on 10/6/2014Based on other Open Table reviews, I booked a table for 4 and anticipated a delicious evening. It's not that anything was bad; it's just that it wasn't all that good. Two of us ordered the Kung Pao dishes, not overly spicy. They were just ... okay. I've had better Kung Pao at little neighborhood restaurants. Another diner's dim sum was again.. just okay. I kept borrowing his sauces to put on my kung pao - which made it so much better. Service was erratic. Two of us were served quickly (kind of) while the other two had to wait for their meals - a problem compounded by my being able to see our food, on a tray, being held by the runner (?), who stood and watched for a solid 3 to 4 minutes while our waiter was at the next table.Special Features:
- Great Service and Amazing FoodlovefoodDined on 9/28/2014Shanghai Terrace has the best service I've ever experienced. The food is absolutely perfect and the chef is very accommodating. The outdoor ambiance is very romantic and overall the terrace seating is an experience that should not be missed. The terrace has a combination of lounge type seating and actual dining tables. We started at the lounge seats for drinks and eventually were moved to a table. The flora is beautiful and very tastefully decorated.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/21/2014We celebrated my birthday on Sunday, September 21. The staff could not have been nicer. The food was excellent. We return again and again to this very special restaurant.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014One of the top restaurants in the city, on every level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedCPowDined on 9/18/2014My husband and I wanted a decent Asian food experience above the norm with our 3 month old in tow. The service, especially related to our daughter, was impeccable and above and beyond. They gave us an over-sized table to accommodate the small stroller our daughter was in without us even inquiring if it was a possibility. I just assumed they wouldn't let us have the stroller in the restaurant and would put us at a standard sized table, but they did the complete opposite. It was unexpected and appreciated more than they know. The food was delicious and the cucumber garden fizz was refreshing with the eggplant dish and dim sum. Everyone we encountered seemed to truly want us to enjoy our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly a wonderful experiencedracoDined on 9/16/2014The ambiance was very nice. Comfortable and romantic. The service was excellent; but the star of the show was truly the food. The first bite was so outstanding, it made you pause... to reflect on the flavors, experiencing the simple yet complex flavors. It was honestly the best Chinese food I've ever had, from anywhere in the world. It is on the pricier side of restaurants in Chicago, but well worth the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Asian Restaurant .Chuck1VIPDined on 9/16/2014This place gets 5 stars across the board. We have been there several times this past month. Excellent every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foo & okay foodMiguelBuseDined on 9/11/2014Great customer service. The lamb was AMAZING. The rosemary and lavender cocktail was AMAZING. However, the crab wonton is no different then any random Chinese/Cantonese dining spot, I didn't even taste much crab. General tso chicken was very good but lacking in the sauce department and ultimately not worth the price tag. After 1 cocktail, 2 bottled waters, 2 entrees and an appetizer the meal came out to about $135 so be aware.Special Features:
- DinnerMorgan17Dined on 9/7/2014Dinner at The Shanghai Terrace was delicious ! The atmosphere was perfect to enjoy an evening dining on the terrace. The service was outstanding .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Chinese FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/7/2014If you want to find a place having both good Chinese food and quite environment, Shanghai Terrace is definitely a good choice. Haven being here for many times, the food here always has the power to remind me the hometown. You can taste tons of traditional Chinese food in Chinatown, however, this place, to my opinion, is the best place to enjoy Chinese food.Special Features:
- Great Chinese!GiddsDined on 9/3/2014A first class Chinese restaurant. Great tasting quality food from the appetisers to dessert! Get a seat on the outside terrace and enjoy a real foodies experience! In a word, classy.Special Features:
- First and last time at ShanghaiDispointmentDined on 8/31/2014This was our first and last time at Shanghai Terrace. We ordered our food around 7pm, both appetizers and entree. Appetizers were served in reasonable time and then came the wait! We waited more than an hour, after complaining food was finally served. I was hopping the food would be worth the wait but we were disappointed again. The food was average at best. I will give credit where it is due, the server and the manager were polite and helpful. They did not charge us for the Appetizers.Special Features:
- Probably the best Chinese In townGeorgiaGuyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Expensive, but it is the Peninsula. The food is wonderful. Great cocktail options and a good selection of wines by the glass. The outdoor terrace is great for dining, but it us probably the best outdoor bar in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience all around...TyanDined on 8/26/2014We were in Chicago for a concert and our anniversary and a friend recommended Shanghai Terrace. The staff was friendly, polite and helpful throughout the entire hotel. I loved the staff uniforms. Everyone was impeccably dressed. The terrace seating is lovely. Both of our waitresses were knowledgeable and helpful. I wanted to try so many things and my friends let me know that you can get a half portion of the chicken dish she recommended. Our waitress enthusiastically told us you can get a half portion of all of the large dishes! Peking Duck, charsiu bao, Kungpao chicken & beef with rice noodles. Heaven! The food was delicious, authentic and plated beautifully. We received a complimentary dessert for our anniversary. Couldn't be happier!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect outdoor dining experienceTobiasFunkeDined on 8/23/2014Spent a wonderful weekend at the Peninsula Hotel including a great dinner at Shanghai Terrace. If the weather is right, sitting outside is a must. Great view and atmosphere. Service was perfect. Formal but friendly. Exactly how I like it. We never felt rushed but never waited for anything. I had a love affair with the wonton soup and the steamed pork dim sum. The main course of rack of lamb was very good as well. My wife had the spring shrimp roll and Kung Pao chicken which was a little spicier than she expected but still very good. They have a small but good wine list as well. Is it expensive? Yes, but definitely worth it. Will recommend to friends and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.