108 E Superior
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ChinesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://chicago.peninsula.com/en/fine-dining/shanghai-terrace-chinese-restaurant
- Phone: 3125736744x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch 11:30 am to 2:00 pm (Sun – Sat)
Cocktails* 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm (Sun – Sat)
Dinner 5:00 pm to 10:30 pm (Sun – Sat)
*Cocktail hours do not include food service. Food service resumes with dinner at 5:00 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Executive Chef: Ivan Yuen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi Private Dining Room available for up to 30 guests. Set menu required. For larger parties The Peninsula Chicago offers a wide variety of banquet facilities.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Ashtari 3125736968x
A word from Shanghai Terrace
Recently ranked the number one "Chinese Restaurant in Chicago" by Zagat, the exquisite Asian decor enhances the intimate atmosphere of this venue, which is unique to the city of Chicago. Seating capacity fits 75 guests with additional seating on the Terrace during temperate weather. Also features an intimate Private Dining Room for up to 30 guests. The Shanghai Terrace offers Eastern skyline views over Chicago, serving Chinese cuisine with an emphasis on Cantonese and Shanghainese specialties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
Shanghai Terrace - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Shanghai Terrace reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (96)special occasion (76)romantic (73)fit for foodies (61)scenic view (46)great for lunch (29)good for groups (17)neighborhood gem (16)great for brunch (12)hot spot (12)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)Show More
- DinnerMorgan17Dined on 9/7/2014Dinner at The Shanghai Terrace was delicious ! The atmosphere was perfect to enjoy an evening dining on the terrace. The service was outstanding .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Chinese FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/7/2014If you want to find a place having both good Chinese food and quite environment, Shanghai Terrace is definitely a good choice. Haven being here for many times, the food here always has the power to remind me the hometown. You can taste tons of traditional Chinese food in Chinatown, however, this place, to my opinion, is the best place to enjoy Chinese food.Special Features:
- Great Chinese!GiddsDined on 9/3/2014A first class Chinese restaurant. Great tasting quality food from the appetisers to dessert! Get a seat on the outside terrace and enjoy a real foodies experience! In a word, classy.Special Features:
- First and last time at ShanghaiDispointmentDined on 8/31/2014This was our first and last time at Shanghai Terrace. We ordered our food around 7pm, both appetizers and entree. Appetizers were served in reasonable time and then came the wait! We waited more than an hour, after complaining food was finally served. I was hopping the food would be worth the wait but we were disappointed again. The food was average at best. I will give credit where it is due, the server and the manager were polite and helpful. They did not charge us for the Appetizers.Special Features:
- Probably the best Chinese In townGeorgiaGuyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Expensive, but it is the Peninsula. The food is wonderful. Great cocktail options and a good selection of wines by the glass. The outdoor terrace is great for dining, but it us probably the best outdoor bar in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience all around...TyanDined on 8/26/2014We were in Chicago for a concert and our anniversary and a friend recommended Shanghai Terrace. The staff was friendly, polite and helpful throughout the entire hotel. I loved the staff uniforms. Everyone was impeccably dressed. The terrace seating is lovely. Both of our waitresses were knowledgeable and helpful. I wanted to try so many things and my friends let me know that you can get a half portion of the chicken dish she recommended. Our waitress enthusiastically told us you can get a half portion of all of the large dishes! Peking Duck, charsiu bao, Kungpao chicken & beef with rice noodles. Heaven! The food was delicious, authentic and plated beautifully. We received a complimentary dessert for our anniversary. Couldn't be happier!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect outdoor dining experienceTobiasFunkeDined on 8/23/2014Spent a wonderful weekend at the Peninsula Hotel including a great dinner at Shanghai Terrace. If the weather is right, sitting outside is a must. Great view and atmosphere. Service was perfect. Formal but friendly. Exactly how I like it. We never felt rushed but never waited for anything. I had a love affair with the wonton soup and the steamed pork dim sum. The main course of rack of lamb was very good as well. My wife had the spring shrimp roll and Kung Pao chicken which was a little spicier than she expected but still very good. They have a small but good wine list as well. Is it expensive? Yes, but definitely worth it. Will recommend to friends and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!Bocabrit77VIPDined on 8/22/2014Absolutely fantastic! Food, service, ambience was outstanding. Well worth it. A must in Chicago! Fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegance in ChicagoCaMaBoDined on 8/21/2014Spent an evening dinner here with my husband and my parents while visiting Chicago. It was our first meal in Chicago, and it was excellent. The food was tasty, the decor was exotic and elegant. Ate on the terrace after a heavy rainstorm, and the evening air was fantastic!Special Features:
- Best Chinsese Food in Chicago!EMOOREVIPDined on 8/19/2014I and a business associate had dinner at Shanghai Terrace while on a business trip to Chicago. I had eaten in Chicago's China Town many times. Shanghai Terrace in the Peninsula Hotel is the best. I had the Peking Duck and it was served with real Plum Sauce and was exceptional, almost as good as Hong Kong. I would recommend Shanghai Terrace to anyone.Special Features:
- Very attentive servers.DibsdiditDined on 8/18/2014The food is very good and the outdoor seating is fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding OverallOutstandingDined on 8/16/2014I will recommend all my friends and family. The food, ambience and customer service was the absolute best. I plan to have lunch at the Shanghai Terrace at least once every month. Thank you for such a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Very good, overly expensivePhilVIPDined on 8/13/2014wonderful and creative Chinese food, wonderful service, very pleasant on the terrace, unnecessecarily expensive. We were celebrating our 32nd wedding anniversary so we were ok with splurging. They knew from our reservation that we were celebrating and they gave us a nice dessert to honor us. We are glad we ate outside which looked much more aesthetically pleasing than the relatively small inside part of the restaurant. Happy Red Rice was unusual and amazing. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, but would not spend this much on Chinese food except for a very special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shanghai TerraceJazz2Dined on 8/7/2014Excellent food and great service! Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner on the terraceArthurJacobVIPDined on 8/6/2014Dinner was slightly marred by a fundraiser being held on an adjacent terrace, particularly when we were captive listeners to their blah blah blah "God Bless America" "Reagan" "Thank you for your donations" etc., so we almost moved indoors, but thankfully the speeches were short and we persevered as it was a beautiful evening. I'd recommend the restaurant pre-emptively warn terrace diners before they sit down when they host an adjacent function. On a much note, The BEST VEGETABLE DUMPLINGS. EVER. And gracious service. Highly recommend sans the red politicos and party hacks. Excellent and beautifully executed Chinese food.Special Features:
- ALTERNATIVE TO EATING IN CHINAavipVIPDined on 8/2/2014Better than most resturants in Shanghai, good service, you can talk and hear your friends at the table, and the sole dish was excellent as were the dim sum. Only complaint - slow in filling water glasses and can become expensive but worth it.Special Features:
- Upscale ChinesePangurBanVIPDined on 8/2/2014Shanghai Terrace is a GREAT Chinese restaurant on cold and rainy nights. But it is at its best when you can dine on the TERRACE it is by far the BEST to dine outdoors. For lunch or late night dim sum with drinks it is GREAT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gynboyDined on 7/26/2014Very much enjoyed lunch here. Best kung pao chicken I've had in years. Servers are excellent. Beautiful location on a summer afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific service, excellent food.fulltummyDined on 7/23/2014This place is a gem. The service is attentive without being overbearing. The food really is the best Chinese in Chicago. Our server was really helpful in creating a meal that was perfect for everyone. We ate family style which I would recommend for anyone inexperienced with this cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbianceChiJVIPDined on 7/21/2014The spice hits you as you enter the dining room and the smell raises your expectations for what you'll be eating. You won't be disappointed, the food is very good. The turnip cake was a surprise, perhaps more authentic than I expected, but tasty for sure. We had the prix fixe "land" menu for lunch and our beef was very tender (perhaps a bit more salt than I like but no problem). The pork dumpling was a little dense but the mushroom dumpling (shumai, maybe) was wonderful, wonderful. Our iced teas, at $9 per glass, were pricey, but a beautiful pitcher for refills and waitstaff that constantly attended to our glasses made the price understandable! The terrace was simply beautiful, and sitting inside or out, it's a pleasure to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swank birthday lunch in the sunSassyChicagoanVIPDined on 7/19/2014My parents, husband and I very much enjoyed the gorgeous July day outside on the Terrace, with attentive service, fantastic food and great ambiance. The plantings were beautiful and the umbrellas cut the hot sunshine nicely. Overall, a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morgan17Dined on 7/18/2014I have been to Shanghai Terrace a number of times for lunch and the food is always outstanding. I especially enjoy the Land option. The outdoor dining is beautiful and relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a wonderful choicegame4allseasonsVIPDined on 7/17/2014I recently dined at Shanghai Terrace and it couldn't have been better. For years an elderly friend of mine who loved the dining at the Peninsula in Hong Kong tried to get me to try ST but I never got around to it. The service was perfect; the food was unusual, subtlety seasoned, wonderful. The ambiance is also exceptional in simple elegance. The crispy duck was just as good as the great Communist Party favorite in Beijing. The rice was different and tasty. The halibut was fresh and delicate. The dessert a coconut creme brulee with mango sherbet was one of the best desserts I've had, certainly the best in a Chinese restaurant. The glass of wine was expensive but a fine brand and a full pour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chinese in townAMBChicagoVIPDined on 7/13/2014This is a lovely restaurant. The service is impeccable and the food not your normal fried, greasy, over flavored Chinese. We had three appetizers and three entrees for the four of us. All different and all delicious. Although their dim sum menus come in three bites, we asked for four and they accommodated us. My sister and her husband had never had this kind of subtle beautifully prepared Chinese food. They not only raved about the food, but also the service and the atmosphere. It is truly lovely to be outside on the deck with the beautiful flowers, umbrellas and lovely atmosphere. We have been to this restaurant many times and tried many dishes. All have been good, so it just depends on what you are in the mood for. Enjoy.Special Features:
- A must goJRMandCNMDined on 7/12/2014Everything at the Shanghai Terrace in the Peninsula Hotel is first class and top quality. From the minute you enter the restaurant, the waitstaff treats you like a celebrity. The menu is unique and the food is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable service, delcious foodChicagoRNVIPDined on 7/10/2014Had dinner with a friend on the terrace. As we waited for a few minutes for our table, a waitress offered us drinks. My mocktail was delicious; I forgot there wasn't any alcohol in it. We were then seated and our server was so polite and attentive. We ordered 3 dim sum orders and a beef noodle dish. The food was enough for both of us. I was really surprised how delicious the food was. I've had Chinese food in Chinatown, but does not compare to the flavor and sauces at Shanghai Terrace. I made reservations for a friend's birthday dinner next month. Looking forward to dining with them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rare2postDined on 7/10/2014The food and cocktails are consistently great. But, aside from the terrace dining, what makes this place really stand out above so many other great restaurants are the people who work here. The entire staff is amazing. Attentive without being overbearing. They have consistently made our special nights out there special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect birthday dinnerworlddinersDined on 7/9/2014We took our son, daughter, and son-in-law to Shanghai Terrace to celebrate our son-in-law's birthday. The food was excellent--we had quite a variety of flavors and everyone loved their meals. The cocktails were great, as well, and the wine list was very impressive. Dining outdoors with an amazing view of the Hancock Building on a perfect summer night in Chicago was an extra-special treat, even for our kids who all live in Chicago. My husband and I, who have dined in Shanghai, thought the dinner was excellent--the jumbo tiger prawns were delicious! The staff were very attentive, and there was a lovely chocolate mousse cake with a candle for the birthday celebrant. Definitely worth a return visit!Special Features:
- Not as good as it's reviewsUnremarkableDined on 7/8/2014Small restaurant when the patio is taken by a private event Service was mediocre Peking duck was good not great and certainly not the quality or presentation we have experienced at Penninsula Hotels in Hong Kong and Bangkok
- Great service, decent food.Hydrant1Dined on 7/8/2014When we eat at a restaurant for two and have 2 entrees, 2 drinks, and an appetizer i don't usually spend a $ amount equal to my monthly college loan payments. i understand the view and ambiance is incredible but if im paying $200 for decent food its a little upsetting. The appearance on th food was great, order kung pao and it looked delicious. Took my first bite and I thought it was a Pf changs frozen dinner. Anyways, it would,be optimal to grab a drink there and take in the Hancock.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shanghai Superior in Every WayDiningdivaVIPDined on 7/6/2014The Peninsula is the pinnacle of hospitality and graciousness. From the moment you arrive everyone is keyed into offering top-line service. On my niece's 21st birthday we celebrated at the Shanghai Terrace first with stellar cocktails accompanied by bar snacks- wasabi peas, pretzels, nuts, and crackers. They have an imaginative refreshing beverage list with virgin versions also. The bellman brought up our presents and cake to the restaurant. The valet loaded a wheel-chair into the trunk helping everyone out of our vehicle. The doormen held both doors open. We loved having time out on the Terrace in the sun and dining inside on the best Chinese Food. We started with a variety of delectable dim sun. Their home made hot sauce was wonderful.Special Features:
- loved itnadouDined on 7/4/2014the food was so fresh. the dim sum was delicious especially the shrimp & lobster dumpling. the kung pao beef was so render. service was great. too bad they only offer lunch during summer months.Special Features:
- Fantastic French-ChineseshanghaineseDined on 7/1/2014First of all, I am a SHANGHAINESE who's born and grew up in Shanghai. After two years living in Chicago, finishing grad school and a few month of work, I brought my girlfriend, who's also from Shanghai, to this place for her birthday. I didn't believe I will be served traditional Chinese food, and I wasn't wrong. The food is not ordinary food that you can get from Chinatown for one-fourth of the check. We had foie gras duck dumpling, peking duck salad (not a real peking duck though), lamb rack, and sea bass. Every dish is AWESOME. The portion is big enough to feed more than one, and they are delicious. Together with two signature cocktails and service is less than $200 and we are very happy about it. Definitely recommended.Special Features:
- WonderfulssaxsmaVIPDined on 6/29/2014We ate on the outdoor terrace on a Sunday after church, and it was absolutely divine. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite menuTimFDined on 6/26/2014We went to dinner at the Shanghai Terrace with a group of 4. The menu was very deep and varied. The dim sum choices were numerous. We tried several and shared....the portions were perfect for sharing with a group of 4. Service was a bit slow at times but that was forgiven by our group as this is a place for a leisurely dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentcharDined on 6/26/2014The food was excellent as always and with wide variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff made you feel specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Was there for my friends b-day. They treated her like "royalty" (her words)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodFoodieDined on 6/21/2014Overall it was an amazing experience dining at Shanghai Terrace. The food was delicious and really liked the ambience. The service spectacular. Even my 2 year old was loving it. He got so many gifts to take home. Would highly recommend this place for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodMiamiConciergeVIPDined on 6/17/2014The dining room is long and narrow. A very large party in the adjacent room--separated by wooden screens--was quite loud. The volume was too loud simply because of the number of people and open design---not because the party was inappropriate. The terrace seemed nice. We enjoyed the foie gras and duck buns, the fried rice, sea bass, and the beef brisket casserole. The Shanghai noodles were ok, but too spicy for our taste. We did not anticipate the peppers listed on the menu to be jalapenos. Service was confusing. We had at least four different people offer water, order taking, etc. As a result, we received the wrong casserole dish at first. Overall, we enjoyed the dinner. However, guests have to created their own ambiance.Special Features:
- Great Fun with FriendsGirlsDined on 6/12/2014We had a very lovely time. It was perfect to catch up with former business associates and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.