108 E Superior
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ChinesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://chicago.peninsula.com/en/fine-dining/shanghai-terrace-chinese-restaurant
- Phone: 3125736744x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch 11:30 am to 2:00 pm (Sun – Sat)
Cocktails* 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm (Sun – Sat)
Dinner 5:00 pm to 10:30 pm (Sun – Sat)
*Cocktail hours do not include food service. Food service resumes with dinner at 5:00 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Executive Chef: Ivan Yuen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi Private Dining Room available for up to 30 guests. Set menu required. For larger parties The Peninsula Chicago offers a wide variety of banquet facilities.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Ashtari 3125736968x
A word from Shanghai Terrace
Recently ranked the number one "Chinese Restaurant in Chicago" by Zagat, the exquisite Asian decor enhances the intimate atmosphere of this venue, which is unique to the city of Chicago. Seating capacity fits 75 guests with additional seating on the Terrace during temperate weather. Also features an intimate Private Dining Room for up to 30 guests. The Shanghai Terrace offers Eastern skyline views over Chicago, serving Chinese cuisine with an emphasis on Cantonese and Shanghainese specialties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
Shanghai Terrace - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Shanghai Terrace reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (99)special occasion (86)fit for foodies (79)romantic (71)scenic view (54)great for lunch (30)good for groups (26)neighborhood gem (19)notable wine list (19)hot spot (15)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Tried and TrueLetsEatOutTonightVIPDined on 10/28/2014I have never been disappointed in my dining experiences at Shanghai Terrace. The service remains exemplary and the food carefully prepared with the finest of ingredients. The duck and foie gras dumplings were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Good food, great ambiance, excellent outdoor dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic high end ChineseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014Finding your way through the Peninsula to Shanghai Terrace is less than easy but the restaurant that awaits you is well worth finding. Beautiful decor; impeccable service; charming staff; all combine to raise expectations. We had 4 different dim sum between three as an ample starter. Exceptional. We then had an entree each with a special rice also all very nice though not quite on a par with the dim sum. Highly recommended but this is proper Chinese food at serious food prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alexalexDined on 10/23/2014Best Chinese cuisine in the city...innovative and unique making the experience well worth the price. Servers are professional and the wine we selected was really perfect for the entree choices. The outdoor seating was just romantic and serene which was an added bonus. Highly recommended from two foodies!Special Features:
- ElegantVRDaveDined on 10/23/2014A Chinese restaurant doesn't get more elegant or well located than this. Delicious, carefully prepared food, excellent service. Nice terrace if weather permits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience at Shanghai TerracejcloftDined on 10/21/2014Very nice and elegant chinese restaurant. Our experience was good. The food is not outstanding, but good.Special Features:
- Great Expectations ThwartedDACKVIPDined on 10/21/2014Being devotees of Hakkasan, an international chain of Michelin starred restaurants in London and New York, we hoped that Shanghai Terrace would fill the void of really excellent Chinese food in Chicago. Sadly it did not. We found that the main courses, were too highly seasoned and the preparations didn't work. The sweet potatoes and lamb were odd and although the lobster was tasty, the glass noodles were hardly to be found.The portions were very small, making the expensive prices unjustifiable. The dim sum lacked delicacy and freshness and the peking duck salad was nondescript. Sadly the best part of the meal was the complimentary almond cookies and the chocolates and the surroundings and ambience were excellent! We will not return!
- DisappointingedubrDined on 10/18/2014Frustrated expectations, especially with relation to food, which I believe not to be the best chinese in Chicago.
- DelicousSaturdayDined on 10/18/2014The food was wonderfully flavored and elegantly presented. The best Chinese meal we have ever had.Special Features:
- Very good chinese foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014The taste is very good, the ambient, but the price is quite expensive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Chinese LunchGregVIPDined on 10/9/2014We were looking for a nice lunch in the area and saw that Shanghai Terrace was highly rated. We were not disappointed! Great food, great service in a lovely setting. The shrimp and chive potstickers were our favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodGoodVIPDined on 10/8/2014Great dining experience. Miser vice was great. Not very big, they do have outdoor dining. We thought it was going to be very expensive, but it was in line with most nice restaurants we go to. If nice, ask for the terrace.ourwaiter , Max, was accommodating and friendly. Made for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food way overpricedBradDined on 10/7/2014The Peking duck was good, but not $80 good. The wine list was absurdly expensive. The duck was supposed to be 3 courses, but the last 2 came at once. Decreased the experience considerably.
- Dinner was shanghai'd...LainchDined on 10/6/2014Based on other Open Table reviews, I booked a table for 4 and anticipated a delicious evening. It's not that anything was bad; it's just that it wasn't all that good. Two of us ordered the Kung Pao dishes, not overly spicy. They were just ... okay. I've had better Kung Pao at little neighborhood restaurants. Another diner's dim sum was again.. just okay. I kept borrowing his sauces to put on my kung pao - which made it so much better. Service was erratic. Two of us were served quickly (kind of) while the other two had to wait for their meals - a problem compounded by my being able to see our food, on a tray, being held by the runner (?), who stood and watched for a solid 3 to 4 minutes while our waiter was at the next table.Special Features:
- Great Service and Amazing FoodlovefoodDined on 9/28/2014Shanghai Terrace has the best service I've ever experienced. The food is absolutely perfect and the chef is very accommodating. The outdoor ambiance is very romantic and overall the terrace seating is an experience that should not be missed. The terrace has a combination of lounge type seating and actual dining tables. We started at the lounge seats for drinks and eventually were moved to a table. The flora is beautiful and very tastefully decorated.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/21/2014We celebrated my birthday on Sunday, September 21. The staff could not have been nicer. The food was excellent. We return again and again to this very special restaurant.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014One of the top restaurants in the city, on every level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedCPowDined on 9/18/2014My husband and I wanted a decent Asian food experience above the norm with our 3 month old in tow. The service, especially related to our daughter, was impeccable and above and beyond. They gave us an over-sized table to accommodate the small stroller our daughter was in without us even inquiring if it was a possibility. I just assumed they wouldn't let us have the stroller in the restaurant and would put us at a standard sized table, but they did the complete opposite. It was unexpected and appreciated more than they know. The food was delicious and the cucumber garden fizz was refreshing with the eggplant dish and dim sum. Everyone we encountered seemed to truly want us to enjoy our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly a wonderful experiencedracoDined on 9/16/2014The ambiance was very nice. Comfortable and romantic. The service was excellent; but the star of the show was truly the food. The first bite was so outstanding, it made you pause... to reflect on the flavors, experiencing the simple yet complex flavors. It was honestly the best Chinese food I've ever had, from anywhere in the world. It is on the pricier side of restaurants in Chicago, but well worth the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Asian Restaurant .Chuck1VIPDined on 9/16/2014This place gets 5 stars across the board. We have been there several times this past month. Excellent every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foo & okay foodMiguelBuseDined on 9/11/2014Great customer service. The lamb was AMAZING. The rosemary and lavender cocktail was AMAZING. However, the crab wonton is no different then any random Chinese/Cantonese dining spot, I didn't even taste much crab. General tso chicken was very good but lacking in the sauce department and ultimately not worth the price tag. After 1 cocktail, 2 bottled waters, 2 entrees and an appetizer the meal came out to about $135 so be aware.Special Features:
- DinnerMorgan17Dined on 9/7/2014Dinner at The Shanghai Terrace was delicious ! The atmosphere was perfect to enjoy an evening dining on the terrace. The service was outstanding .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Chinese FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/7/2014If you want to find a place having both good Chinese food and quite environment, Shanghai Terrace is definitely a good choice. Haven being here for many times, the food here always has the power to remind me the hometown. You can taste tons of traditional Chinese food in Chinatown, however, this place, to my opinion, is the best place to enjoy Chinese food.Special Features:
- Great Chinese!GiddsDined on 9/3/2014A first class Chinese restaurant. Great tasting quality food from the appetisers to dessert! Get a seat on the outside terrace and enjoy a real foodies experience! In a word, classy.Special Features:
- First and last time at ShanghaiDispointmentDined on 8/31/2014This was our first and last time at Shanghai Terrace. We ordered our food around 7pm, both appetizers and entree. Appetizers were served in reasonable time and then came the wait! We waited more than an hour, after complaining food was finally served. I was hopping the food would be worth the wait but we were disappointed again. The food was average at best. I will give credit where it is due, the server and the manager were polite and helpful. They did not charge us for the Appetizers.Special Features:
- Probably the best Chinese In townGeorgiaGuyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Expensive, but it is the Peninsula. The food is wonderful. Great cocktail options and a good selection of wines by the glass. The outdoor terrace is great for dining, but it us probably the best outdoor bar in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience all around...TyanDined on 8/26/2014We were in Chicago for a concert and our anniversary and a friend recommended Shanghai Terrace. The staff was friendly, polite and helpful throughout the entire hotel. I loved the staff uniforms. Everyone was impeccably dressed. The terrace seating is lovely. Both of our waitresses were knowledgeable and helpful. I wanted to try so many things and my friends let me know that you can get a half portion of the chicken dish she recommended. Our waitress enthusiastically told us you can get a half portion of all of the large dishes! Peking Duck, charsiu bao, Kungpao chicken & beef with rice noodles. Heaven! The food was delicious, authentic and plated beautifully. We received a complimentary dessert for our anniversary. Couldn't be happier!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect outdoor dining experienceTobiasFunkeDined on 8/23/2014Spent a wonderful weekend at the Peninsula Hotel including a great dinner at Shanghai Terrace. If the weather is right, sitting outside is a must. Great view and atmosphere. Service was perfect. Formal but friendly. Exactly how I like it. We never felt rushed but never waited for anything. I had a love affair with the wonton soup and the steamed pork dim sum. The main course of rack of lamb was very good as well. My wife had the spring shrimp roll and Kung Pao chicken which was a little spicier than she expected but still very good. They have a small but good wine list as well. Is it expensive? Yes, but definitely worth it. Will recommend to friends and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!Bocabrit77VIPDined on 8/22/2014Absolutely fantastic! Food, service, ambience was outstanding. Well worth it. A must in Chicago! Fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegance in ChicagoCaMaBoDined on 8/21/2014Spent an evening dinner here with my husband and my parents while visiting Chicago. It was our first meal in Chicago, and it was excellent. The food was tasty, the decor was exotic and elegant. Ate on the terrace after a heavy rainstorm, and the evening air was fantastic!Special Features:
- Best Chinsese Food in Chicago!EMOOREVIPDined on 8/19/2014I and a business associate had dinner at Shanghai Terrace while on a business trip to Chicago. I had eaten in Chicago's China Town many times. Shanghai Terrace in the Peninsula Hotel is the best. I had the Peking Duck and it was served with real Plum Sauce and was exceptional, almost as good as Hong Kong. I would recommend Shanghai Terrace to anyone.Special Features:
- Very attentive servers.DibsdiditDined on 8/18/2014The food is very good and the outdoor seating is fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding OverallOutstandingDined on 8/16/2014I will recommend all my friends and family. The food, ambience and customer service was the absolute best. I plan to have lunch at the Shanghai Terrace at least once every month. Thank you for such a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Very good, overly expensivePhilVIPDined on 8/13/2014wonderful and creative Chinese food, wonderful service, very pleasant on the terrace, unnecessecarily expensive. We were celebrating our 32nd wedding anniversary so we were ok with splurging. They knew from our reservation that we were celebrating and they gave us a nice dessert to honor us. We are glad we ate outside which looked much more aesthetically pleasing than the relatively small inside part of the restaurant. Happy Red Rice was unusual and amazing. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, but would not spend this much on Chinese food except for a very special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning!!!Chicago12Dined on 8/7/2014This is one beautiful restaurant with great outdoor dinning at one of Chicago's finest hotels. You feel transformed into the wonder and beauty of China!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shanghai TerraceJazz2Dined on 8/7/2014Excellent food and great service! Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner on the terraceArthurJacobVIPDined on 8/6/2014Dinner was slightly marred by a fundraiser being held on an adjacent terrace, particularly when we were captive listeners to their blah blah blah "God Bless America" "Reagan" "Thank you for your donations" etc., so we almost moved indoors, but thankfully the speeches were short and we persevered as it was a beautiful evening. I'd recommend the restaurant pre-emptively warn terrace diners before they sit down when they host an adjacent function. On a much note, The BEST VEGETABLE DUMPLINGS. EVER. And gracious service. Highly recommend sans the red politicos and party hacks. Excellent and beautifully executed Chinese food.Special Features:
- ALTERNATIVE TO EATING IN CHINAavipVIPDined on 8/2/2014Better than most resturants in Shanghai, good service, you can talk and hear your friends at the table, and the sole dish was excellent as were the dim sum. Only complaint - slow in filling water glasses and can become expensive but worth it.Special Features:
- Upscale ChinesePangurBanVIPDined on 8/2/2014Shanghai Terrace is a GREAT Chinese restaurant on cold and rainy nights. But it is at its best when you can dine on the TERRACE it is by far the BEST to dine outdoors. For lunch or late night dim sum with drinks it is GREAT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale delicious Chinesedogbaby60VIPDined on 7/29/2014We loved this restaurant, went back twice during our 1 week stay in Chicago. Duck 3 ways is full of subtle flavors, dim sum is quality, service matches the food. A must if you are in Chicago and love Chinese food