Shanghai Social Club
1277 Commonwealth Ave
Allston, MA 02134Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Shanghai Social Club
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shanghaisocialclub.com/
- Phone: 6172088909x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Full Menu: 11:30am-1:30am
Full Bar: 11:30am-2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Asian, Chinese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Bob Botchie
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Shanghai Social Club
Greetings from Shanghai. Inspired by the social clubs and bars of the Bund area of Shanghai. Experience the Prohibition Era in Allston’s version of opium fueled Old Shanghai. Shanghai Social Club was created by the fond memories of going out to dinner at a local Chinese Restaurant. Scorpion Bowls would be ordered and challenges would be made to see who could eat the most spicy mustard and chili paste. Fried Rice, Lo Mein and General Gao’s Chicken would be ordered. The Quality, Service and Ambiance would always leave a lasting impression and a yearning to return. Once a location was found. Well-known Architect Peter Nimitz was brought on to help develop the Prohibition Era Lounge concept that has become The Shanghai Social Club. To Match the food with the beautiful room Chef Bob Botchie, formerly of Myer’s and Chang, came along. Chef Botchie has created a menu full of flavors and spices that is founded upon traditional Chinese cuisine and cooking techniques.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shanghai Social Club reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (16)fit for foodies (16)late-night find (9)romantic (8)special occasion (8)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Delicious foodghornikDined on 8/14/2014The food was some of the best Chinese food we've had. We especially recommend their steamed buns, but everything was much better than the typical Chinese restaurant.
- VeggieloverVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was a fun restaurant, perfect for groups or a party, with excellent tiki type drinks and good renditions of American Chinese dishes and Chinese street food. They can be accommodating to vegetarian and gluten free diets. We will be back with our friends and possibly to host a party. It was shocking that the restaurant wasn't filled to capacity on the night we were there, but hurry in before the word is out. Loved the eggplant and Peking duck buns, the vegetable lo mein, cucumber salad, and General Gau's chicken. Every dish was tasty!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant, no parking.BillDined on 8/2/2014We chose this restaurant for "date night" and were not disappointed. The food and service were fantastic. Hands down, the best Chinese Spare Ribs that we've ever eaten. All of the food was excellent. The service was prompt and polite. The atmosphere is low light with a classy Asian theme and had Hawaiian style music being played. We sat in view of the bar where sports on TV were visible but didn't dominate the restaurant. The only real problem that we found was parking. It took us 20 minutes to find a spot and ended up receiving a parking ticket for parking in resident parking on a side street. Our waitress had told us not to worry, they don't ticket after 6 PM. We were cited at 6:27 P.M. Better parking information is need on its website.Special Features:
- Shanghai Social ClubOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/1/2014Excellent food and great drinks. Very good portion sizes and flavorfulSpecial Features:
- Great plates to shareIsabellaVIPDined on 7/30/2014Went for dinner with 3 friends, the portions are large enough to share among a group without a problem. That way you can try a few different things from the menu. They also have a great beer selection!!
- Great food and good prices!IsabellaVIPDined on 7/23/2014My friend and I couldn't decide on what to order and in talking with the bartender we created our own dish! We created a delicious wok charred chicken and vegetable dish with a delicious honey sauce! Also ordered the cucumber sesame salad ... it was all so good!! I also suggest the kimono dragon cocktail that is a brand new concoction one of the bartenders created!! Amazing!Special Features:
- Loved!foodie4lifeVIPDined on 7/19/2014This was a great place to get Chinese food. We liked the lunch portions. Wish the appetizers were a bit more, but overall great.Special Features:
- My new fav spot!IsabellaVIPDined on 7/16/2014My friend and I discovered Shanghai a few months ago and have made it our weekly spot to get together for dinner and cocktails. All the staff and bartenders are so friendly and accommodating. The cocktail list is out of this world, they have a great obscure selection of liquors. My new favorite cocktail is the white Mai Tai! Also the crab rangoons are amazing - so much crab!Special Features:
- Hidden Gem in AllstonAiredaleVIPDined on 6/20/2014This was our first time there and I'm eager to go back. Great setting, outstanding food (we ended up just ordering more appetizers as the first round were so good - but would not hesitate to try anything on the menu) and friendly service. It was a Friday night, place was kind of quiet and not sure why. Pricing was more than reasonable, food was truly excellent (think classic Chinese with some more modern interpretations and offerings) and the setting is very upscale and fun. Definitely check it out, we will be back!Special Features:
- LOVED it here! Amazing food!acandy7Dined on 6/12/2014My daughter turned 10 on 6/12. We wanted to take her somewhere special/different. I looked to Groupon for some help. She loves all food Asian and this menu of street food and a twist on classics totally caught my attention. Bought the groupon and made the reservation. Drove the 45 minutes and loved it all. The all were so amazing to her knowing it was her birthday before hand. We hit traffic and so it was late when we arrived- our 2 girls were the only children there (but we are raising foodies! LoL) just so welcoming! When they came out with dessert and a candle we started to sing as a family and before we knew it the entire place joined us! Just a fabulous place! We have already planned our return visit! My daughter is in love also! YUMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningHM978Dined on 6/8/2014We went foru husbands birthday. The ambiance was great, the staff was very friendly and the food was incredible. They even have us out own private room which we hadn't specifically requested which was a pleasant surprise. I would absolutely return and recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants an upscale Chinese restaurant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expected...ThatguyBriDined on 5/24/2014So my girlfriend (who is Chinese and from Shanghai) and I decided to check the place out on a whim as a fun experiment in "what crazy Americans (I'm American) think of as Chinese food. And much to our surprise it was pleasantly fun. I think you need to go into the place with the right expectations and right mindset. Is this true authentic Shanghai style cooking? Not really, but my date said that the Shanghai Style Chicken was actually pretty close and the food overall was good. Atmosphere: The decor is a bit silly with a strange mix of Golden Buddhas and picture of the Chinese revolution in the background all lit under Red Lanterns. But somehow it actually works. Realistic? Heck no, but it is fun. Only real complaint: Food was too salty.Special Features:
- Retro ChineseDebbieDined on 5/16/2014Food was salty, portions were large and ambience was fun. Best part was the fried wontons with duck sauce that they provided. Haven't had them served to me in boston since I moved here 25 years agoSpecial Features:
- Wonderful!Yankfan1213Dined on 5/16/2014This was a great experience, our server was amazing, food was so good!!Would go back again for sure!! even living in NH it's worth the trip.Special Features:
- Fun discoveryKaraDined on 5/11/2014Funky 50s communist China decor - lots of red and black - lending to a romantic vibe. I went there on Mother's Day 2014. Our server was awesome: she was attentive, respectful of my handicapped mother-in-law's needs, and just really nice. The menu is short - all American Chinese food - but it was good! Veggies not overcooked, the fried food nice and crispy, nothing overly seasoned. I would definitely recommend this place before it gets too popular and explodes. Oh and the drinks are really good. We had the usual Mai Tais and such - great presentation and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 14 reviews are from the Shanghai Social Club reviews archive.
- Love this place!cocktailqueenDined on 4/12/2014Great food and drinks with everything made fresh to order. No msg, they get daily fresh deliveries of their meat and seafood, and they use fresh juice (even pineapple!) in all of their cocktails. Amazing tiki drinks. Great service and atmosphere. Very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cool night spotjaylVIPDined on 3/22/2014great drinks, great food, spicy shortrib buns were really really spicy, home made siracha was fantastic, parking was a huge issue!, no place to park, had to drop off my wife and no kidding park a half mile away . a good solid 15 min walk. i would suggest valet parking.Special Features:
- We have been here four timesoerquiagaDined on 3/15/2014We have been here four times since it opened and it has become our new favorite neighborhood hangout. The staff knows us and we are always treated with the utmost respect. The food and drinks are wonderful and the space blows me away every time. Very accessible and wheelchair friendly. So glad we discovered this place at Taste of Allston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FairVIPDined on 3/1/2014Great asset to the neighborhood! Food is always fresh and tasty. The manager that came over to the table was super nice.Special Features:
- a must visitMittenDined on 2/28/2014This restaurant has a great ambiance. It was worth going for that alone. It wasn't too crowded for a Friday night and making reservations for the time we wanted was quite easy. The drinks tasted weak but they snuck up on us later. The food was proportionate to price. The service wad on the slow side but the waitress was very friendly. I will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy and CuteKassDined on 2/14/2014Took my sweetie to Shanghai for Valentine's Day and the ambiance was just right! They had a special 3-course pris fixe meal for V day that featured a shrimp appetizer, beef stir and veggie stir fry entree and chocolates for dessert. It was understated yet savory. The setting was warm and inviting and a great place for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ for the duck saucemegmegDined on 2/14/2014My bf and I keep coming back here for the duck sauce they give you while you wait for your meal to arrive (so good!). The first time we came here was when they first opened up and the service was great. We just came back for our third time on Valentine's Day, and the food was great, as usual. Our server was a little off, though, and it was far from a full house while we were there. She wasn't very helpful when we asked about dishes (since they have no description), but told us everything was "really good." She then took our beloved duck sauce without asking which really bummed us out since they usually offer us more. After clearing our plates, we had to flag her down to get the check even though we said no to needing anything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely an Allston KeeperMalloryVIPDined on 2/7/2014We had a wonderful time at Shanghai Social Club. Living right across the street, we were happy to find a place for food and drinks without having to even venture all the way down to Harvard Ave! The service was impeccable and they kindly recognized the birthday in our group. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. Everything came out in a good amount of time- I never felt like we were bombarded with plates, and the vibe was great for a Friday night, but it was not so loud we couldn't have a conversation. the drinks were high quality and plentiful. This is a wonderful spot in Allston, that is a step above the usual undergrad haunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad cocktails, poor food overallTuanVIPDined on 1/30/2014I admit that I'm a cocktail snob. After reviewing the drink options and noticing they are using quality spirits, I ordered one of their signature drinks. What came back was surprising as the bartender did not use fresh juices or quality filler ingredients to go with the good rum. The waitress noticed our displeasure and sent the drink back for another one of their cocktails. In this one, it seemed that they replaced orgeat with almost extract, giving the drink an artificial taste. Food was medium to poor as our rice came out dry and food came out at way different times. (My wife received her main, whlie I had to wait an additional 15 minutes for mine). I would not recommend this restaurant.
- The food was delicious andIheartnachosDined on 1/25/2014The food was delicious and not over priced, but the scorpion bowl was amazing. Get it... You won't be sorry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small menu done very wellEricCDined on 1/25/2014The menu choices were few compared to most Chinese restaurants, but the 3 dishes we had (Orange Chicken, Cashew chicken, and a shrimp dish) were all outstanding. The front room was the scene - noisy and boistrous, but we had asked for a quiet table were shown the back room, which was smaller, quiter, and perfect for conversation among friends. Hard to find that on a Saturday night. When we entered, we were enthusistically greeted by 3 people, our Open Table reservation was known to them and they had noted the request for a quiet table and suggested the backroom. A delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice people on a sinking shipOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/11/2014Every person working on the night we went was friendly and welcoming. That's literally all I can say in it's favor. The food varied from meh to bad. The atmosphere was fun to look at but a bit sad--near empty at 9 on a Saturday night, except for a table in the back and one guy eating alone while checking out his phone. I think it was empty because it's just not very good.
- Definately worth a try !CatherineVIPDined on 12/2/2013The decor was upscale & sophisticated. Beautiful Asian setting. The service was excellent. The food was very good. I would recommend the Shanghai buns & don't leave without dessert. The Shanghai donuts are the real thing ! A lovely night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting decor, horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/16/2013The decor is beautiful, but service was awful. After we were sat, our server offered to get us water, but never came back to our table until I said something to a manager 15 minutes later. There were only two other tables in the restaurant and I watched her bring things to them one at a time while avoiding eye contact with us let alone mentioning she would be back with the water. A man who appeared to be a manager stood behind the host stand the entire time doing nothing, let alone helping the servers who apparently couldn't keep up. I eventually approached him, and he went to get her, and then returned to tell us she would bring water soon, as opposed to getting them himself. The rest of the visit continued in the same fashion.Special Features: