Shaman by Chilam Balam
1438 W Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60642Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Shaman by Chilam Balam
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shamanchicago.com/index.html
- Phone: (312) 226-4175
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout
A word from Shaman by Chilam Balam
Mexican small plates restaurant in the heart of Chicago's west town neighborhood. BYOB and we take Visa and MC. BYOB, but no vodka, rum or whiskey allowed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shaman by Chilam Balam reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great experience. Tasty food. Good prices.Nat30Dined on 11/15/2014The only thing we didn't like is the limitation of 1 bottle of wine per 2 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/1/2014One of my favourite neighborhood places! Great food you won't find anywhere else. Half the menu changes once a month so always some great new things to try.Special Features:
- Great food but tight quartersCheriVIPDined on 10/25/2014We enjoyed all the dishes we had, the food was interesting and tasty. The tables are packed tightly in the small space. Despite our reservation and a restaurant that was nearly empty they wouldn't seat us till the other couple joined us. We had to sit at what they called the bar. There were no drinks served. Tough we brought wine they wouldn't open it till we were finally seated. So come for the interesting food but not the hospitality or comfort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service/ ridiculous rulesSid3Dined on 10/24/2014Service was horrible, they were rude and the food wasn't even good. Now I understand why they always have reservations available. Diners beware! This was the worst dining experience my friends and I ever had. None of us will ever return!
- Great food!LaBrujaBuenaDined on 9/27/2014Innovative and well executed Mexican food. Yes Barramundi is a real fish..and the dish was excellent. Check out the chocolate flan - incredible...Amazing that two chefs in the kitchen can aptly handle such a big crowd.Special Features:
- Really great Mexican food!LovelyVIPDined on 9/20/2014For being a "small plates" kind of place, the portions are quite filling. I'm inclined to call them "medium" plates. The menu changes monthly with few items recurring. We had the chile with pork filling, duck breast and steak and all were excellent. Great flavors and so unassuming! The lime-ade / margarita mix they provide with your BYO tequila was really good too. Will definitely come back again!Special Features:
- Noisy with great foodJackMVIPDined on 9/12/2014Inventive delicious food served in small plates. Great variety and well prepared. We arrived early but as the placed filled it became almost intolerably noisy. If this sort of thing bothers you definitely go but on the early side.Special Features:
- Fabulous Mexican BYOBjulesDined on 9/11/2014I have been to Chilam Balam a couple times, but just discovered Shaman on OpenTable last week, while some family was visiting from out of town. We decided to check it out because, well the food at Chilam Balam is amazing, so assumed this would be too. And it's BYOB and accepts reservations. We were not disappointed- had a fantastic time. Our server suggested doing a sampler of some of their most popular items. It ended up being 9 courses-- all amazing! And he also mixed the tequila we had brought with their home-made limeade- fantastic margaritas! Loved it. And all for a very reasonable price. Only note is that the ambiance is pretty low-key (school chairs at the tables). But we had a fabulous time anyway. Definitely will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/11/2014Great food. Shared plates. Generous enough for 3-4 to share. Would returnSpecial Features:
- Interesting foodfoodiegirlVIPDined on 9/6/2014I still enjoy Shaman even 'tho I am not enthralled by small plates. Many small plates come in threes and I wonder what the 4th person does... However, when it is just my husband and I it works well. The salad was wonderful with the spicy dressing. The pork belly tacos are a winner. Service is lovely and the people are very friendly.Special Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the Shaman by Chilam Balam reviews archive.