625 N Milwaukee Ave
Libertyville, IL 60048Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shakousushi.com/
- Phone: (224) 433-6675
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Mon – Tue: 11:00 am – 11:00 pm
Wed – Thur: 11:00 am – 1:00 am
Fri: 11:00 am – 2:00 am
Sat: 4:00 pm – 2:00 am
Sun: 4:00 pm – 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Shakou Sushi
Shakou has quickly become the most talked about restaurant and event venue in the Northern Suburbs of Chicago. Since the Grand Opening in March of 2013, Shakou has been named one of the Top 100 “Hot Spot” Restaurants in America by Open Table, voted as “Best of the Best” in Asian Cuisine by readers of Forest & Bluff Magazine, highlighted in the “Best of Cuisine” feature by Suburban Life Magazine and chosen by the editors of NS Luxury Magazine as one of the 50 “Best Bites” in the North Shore. Shakou is Japanese for social life and with a city caliber venue, city caliber service and city caliber Modern Japanese cuisine, it is clear to see why all of Chicago and the North Shore are flocking to Shakou. Whatever your appetite desires, whether it’s sushi or cooked, the shakou menu offers a delicious variety of Modern Japanese dishes. No great meal is complete without a specialty Shakou Sushi cocktail and dessert created to perfection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Shakou Sushi - Best Restaurants in Libertyville ›
Shakou Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (78)fit for foodies (68)neighborhood gem (60)special occasion (57)good for groups (54)vibrant bar scene (48)romantic (29)late-night find (24)great for lunch (17)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (10)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Back againFlorianDined on 11/26/2014Enjoyed another great sushi meal. We love the boat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RacemDined on 11/24/2014A little hesitant on the 25 mile snowy drive but ended up being worth it all. Restaurant was as we imagined it. Just like the website. Great ambiance, great food, great service, attentive staff overall. Tables, seats, floors, washrooms and anywhere you happen to glance at were all clean. Unfortunately we were stuffed and couldn't try the rest of the menu. Shakou is definitely a worldclass dining gem in the suburbs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2014Went here for our Anniversery and they definitely made it a wonderful night. Upbeat atmosphere paired with fantastic food and cocktails. Our server (Leeza) was incredible. She made great suggestions and was really attentive. Once they found out it was our Anniversery they offered us a quite table that's by itself out of the way. The food looked presentation was beautiful. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014My friends and I were suppose to go downtown to another Sushi Restaurant. I asked could we stay in the burbs and set a reservation at Shakou Sushi. It was a wonderful experience. The food was awesome. The Waitress was kind and very helpful when asked for suggestions. The manager on duty stopped by to make sure everyone was enjoying their time and even stopped again to say thank you for coming. I would highly recommend Shakou Sushi to my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in a cool atmosphereLGFoodiesDined on 11/7/2014Really enjoy the energy in this place. The food and service have been excellent each of our two experiences. Portions are small/moderate but the quality/taste is terrific and the prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharonaDined on 11/4/2014Excellent food. Music was too clubbish for lunch. A bit pricey.Special Features:
- Nice presentation and flavorseaterouterDined on 11/3/2014This place is modern, which is a nice change of pace. It reminds me of the decor found in Asia, in modern clubs. The sashimi had very nice, delicate cuts. The service was good. We spilled a drink and the wait staff filled it up gratis. I would go back for a nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hits on all cylindersRonJac94Dined on 10/31/2014My wife and I were looking for a location to celebrate at and feel lucky to have found Shakou. From the moment we walked in and were warmly created we were very impressed. Thank you to Kevin the GM who stopped by several times, to our excellent server Olivia, to the kitchen staff. We are not impressed easily when dining out as I have many years of food service experience. We look forward to many visits to Shakou. Thanks for making our night a memorable oneSpecial Features:
- Great Dining ExperiencenewbieDined on 10/31/2014I took my friend for a birthday lunch. This was her first time dining st Shakou and she will go back to take friends. The soup and Salmon Bento box were divine! Service was exceptional. It was Halloween sand there was a steady stream of trick or treaters coming in to get their candy, but there were enough servers to handle everything. Great lunch place! Will have to try it for dinner sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 10/25/2014The appetizers, main courses, and deserts were incredible. Franco was a solid server with great recommendations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ambiance and wonderful foodliv4greatfoodrinknfriendsDined on 10/25/2014Shakou served up a truly best in class customer experience! We had a reservation and were sat immediately upon arrival. The staff was friendly, attentive and encouraged our desire to "explore" the menu at a relaxed pace. Our party of 4 started the evening with their signature cocktails. Each one was quite unique in flavor and infused with fresh fruits. The Seven Spicy Ahi hot appetizer is to die for! From there, we shared 4 different Maki rolls (ordering one at a time - enjoying each while we determined which type we'd devour next!). The place was packed and the energy and music was upbeat. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- ExcellentFlashVIPDined on 10/21/2014A sports bar-sushi den combined it is a great place to watch the game and enjoy drinks and wonderful sushi. Recommended and will return. Staff is attentive and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperiencePeterDined on 10/18/2014The food was very good but nothing mind blowing. I was expecting sushi that was different, new, out of the ordinary and found none of that here. Also, we had to wait over 30 minutes for our table. We had reservations . . . We couldn't transfer our bar bill to our table either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite spot in town!ItalianWifeMomDined on 10/18/2014Shakou is Libertyville's best cosmopolitan spot! The food is fresh and appetizing, the atmosphere vibrant and elegant and the staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Shakou is our favorite sushi restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindSuzeysunshineDined on 10/18/2014This is one of favorite restaurants. It has my favorite sushi roll, Ocean Drive, and my husband loves the Sea Bass. We also get something new each time we visit and have never been disappointed. It has a great atmosphere. It is our go to place for special occasions or just to treat ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not disappointed at allLakotaDined on 10/18/2014Been meaning to try this place for awhile and went there for dinner with my fiancee. The food was really good and the sushi was fresh. I was a bit bummed they didn't have Toro but when our server (Lindsey who was awesome!) told us it was because it didn't meet their standards we were impressed as the blue fin's quality was excellent. We had a mushroom salad which was delicious and if there's only one thing I could recommend it's the appetizer Seven Spicy Ahi. I could have ordered 3 of those and had that alone for dinner. We also had some rolls which were quality. The ambience was modern and some trance/euro type of music was playing which I dug. If you haven't been here, definitely worth checking out! We'll be back there in the future!Special Features:
- Modern decor fabulous cocktailsFromchitwnDined on 10/17/2014The cocktails were creative and tasty. The decor is unique and trendy-very cool! The food is reasonably priced but mostly just average. Seems like more of a club venue that happens to serve food. Great DJSpecial Features:
- I love this place!mary16Dined on 10/17/2014I've come here quite a few times and never have I received bad service. This is my favorite sushi place in my area. The food is great and the staff is fantastic. And the place is also very modern and nice. I love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicago in LibertvilleGSP1Dined on 10/11/2014Excellent sushi in a Libertyvile location with a total city vibe. Beautiful room, beautiful dishes, wonderful flavors. Dragon Fire roll had nice heat if you like something a little more spicy. Black Widow roll made with black rice was unique & delicious. Everything was very fresh. Our server Katie was very knowledgable & helpful. An asset to our visit. Will definitely return to explore more of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi EverABNSmithDined on 10/11/2014I eat a lot of Sushi and Sashimi. The Ana Sashimi plate I had was fantastic, 20 pieces of fish in 10 varieties and preparation was exquisite. This became my go to Sushi Restaurant and would be worth an hour drive from any part of Chicago let alone a 15 minute drive from the northern Burbs.Special Features:
- Trendy and loudChicagoTexanVIPDined on 10/10/2014I'd give this place another try, but I found the "rave-like" music so loud and obnoxious, it was hard to converse without yelling. The nigiri we ordered was cut in odd shapes. Maybe this is a contemporary expression but couldn't help but think if we were getting quality pieces. It tasted good, but I guess we're traditionalists when it comes to sushi. The place was packed, and the ambiance is more like a restaurant in downtown Chicago or LA.Special Features:
- Never disappoints.enjoymytimeDined on 10/10/2014This was my 4th visit to the restaurant, brought different friends each time. They just never disappoint us. Keep up the great work.Special Features:
- Shakouisharronk2Dined on 10/9/2014Fabulous food and love the ambiance. Would recommend to all my family and friendsSpecial Features:
- LoveToDineOutDined on 10/8/2014This is really a find. It has a real cosmopolitan atmosphere. The food is delicious and if there is someone in your party that doesn't like sushi they have plenty of other choices. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerGl120Dined on 10/6/2014They gyoza was delic, 5 pieces was not enough. The California roll was tasty, ask for low sodium soy sauce. The tutti-frutti drinks were very tasty. Katie was a great server! The chicken katsu was only okay. Had a great time, will be going back to try some new things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeBus1224Dined on 10/3/2014My wife and I love the place. Always have a good time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What else can I say but wow!CityguyDined on 10/3/2014Great food and atmosphere without traveling downtown to the city. The menu has a lot to choose from and the wait staff was very knowledgeable in assisting and recommending choices. We had a group of six and everyone's food was great! We will definatly go back. The music is awesome too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!!!FishedInDined on 10/1/2014We had such a great evening, never feeling rushed and always felt like we were the only two in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Feels like city restaurantFoodsnobDined on 9/25/2014Great place for a night out with friends or family. Has a Vegas vibe. A real gem for the suburbs. Food is very good. Seared toro appetizer was a huge winner with all at the table oohing and aahing over the buttery silken toro. Everything was good, fresh, and well cut. Nothing compares to west coast sushi, but I'm giving this place 5 stars because it fills a void in the Chicago suburbs. I've been here about 5 or 6 times now. It's consistently fresh and good!! I am a picky sushi snob and this place does satisfy me! Yummy yum yum! Can't wait for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathyDined on 9/22/2014Awesome service Great GM food delicious I had the Seabass and my friend had lobster and filet. Cooked to perfection. Birthday dessert was delicious chocolate cake. Martini with blue cheese olives was delicious. Our waiter was the best! I think his name was Eric.Special Features:
- great foodtakeme80sVIPDined on 9/19/2014Everything we ate was wonderful. we will absolutely be going back!!! spicy salmon roll was good and the sunny hill was my favorite!Special Features:
- meetingarrangerDined on 9/18/2014The place is good. I was checking out the place during the afternoon when not busy to see if it would be a good place to arrange a private party for my group. Food is good, a bit pricey. I am not sure who the owners are or if they are around but the guys who seemed to be running the place did not seem to fit dress wise the great decor of the place. I still think the place is a good place for young people in town that don't want to travel to Chicago.Special Features:
- What A Find!mimiteachVIPDined on 9/15/2014My husband and I were looking for a new place to spend an evening out. We went to our favorite suburb - Libertyville, on Open Table and found Shakou Shushi. It far exceeded our expectations! The menu has something for everyone, from sushi fanatics to landlubers. When we saw the hot and cold appetizers along with the soups and salads, we went no further and made our way through those as our meal. The shumai soup was delectable and not salty as others I have had in the past. The mushroom salad came with large sections of mushrooms wine marinated and tossed with a delectable ginger dressing. Cold appetizers of tuna tartar and fresh oysters were phenomenal. Hot appetizers of orange duck and eggroll are superb. Not to be missed are desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerdatenightdinerDined on 9/12/2014I made my reservation with OpenTable.com for Shakou Sushi for my husband's birthday. I also made a note on my reservation that we were celebrating his birthday. We greatly enjoyed this restaurant. The sushi was fresh and delicious. The service was good; in fact, without saying anything else, our waitress brought out a slice of cake with a candle. The ambiance was excellent - good music and lighting. I'll be going there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!Juliana28Dined on 9/5/2014This place never fails to amaze me. I love Shakou their food and atmosphere.Special Features:
- First Experience at Shakou SushiLFfoodiesDined on 8/31/2014Walking in its hard to believe that this restaurant is in Libertyville. The decor, atmosphere and energy is more like a club / restaurant in New York or Chicago. Ceiling is two stories up and there are different seating areas - the bar, dining room and upstairs lounge. Service was a little slow to start but then picked up. As expected, there was a vast amount of sushi to pick from but also steaks etc for the non- sushi eaters in the group. Food was good even though my steak came out warm. Looking for a late night place...this is it. Open until 2am Fri & Sat. Not many places you can find open that late in the suburbs!Special Features:
- Great food and ambiance.SuenscotDined on 8/30/2014Great food and ambiance. Wanted to sit upstairs for the view, but low ottoman stools are uncomfortable for long durations. Men were uncomfortable. Even sofa benches had no "back". Have sat at these tables with women many times or just for cocktails, but for dinner it was a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SPECTACULAR SHAKOUPICKYBUTHONESTVIPDined on 8/30/2014My 3rd time there and it was outstanding like the first! I brought a friend who wanted to go back in 2 weeks with 7 ladies. What a night that was. Food was spectacular, décor is so inviting and wants you to keep coming back for more and the great touch of their GM Kevin making sure all of the guests in the restaurant are happy was a welcome site to see! Best Chilean Sea Bass in Illinois. I can't seem to get myself to order something different as my entrée. You must dine here if you have not already.Special Features:
- Exceeds expectations, again.enjoymytimeDined on 8/29/2014Not much else to say.....just a venue that everyone should experience.Special Features:
- THE place to go in Libertyville!OnlywhenitsgoodVIPDined on 8/20/2014There are some great long time restaurants in Libertyville and more that have joined the scene over the last few years, but none as nice in all aspects as Shakou. You do not need to be a huge sushi lover to enjoy this restaurant. From a great location in Downtown Libertyville, to the outstanding food, to the different seating options of the upstairs lounge, sushi bar, regular bar and main dining, and perhaps the greatest attribute are the owners. Two people that will make you feel right at home!Special Features: