1791 Richmond Rd
Charlottesville, VA 22911Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shadwellsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (434) 202-2568
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday -Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jabari Wadlingtion
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Shadwells Restaurant
We are located on 250 East on Pantops Mtn at Peter Jefferson Place, adjacent to the new Martha Jefferson Hospital.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shadwells Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (29)fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (18)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (5)hot spot (3)great for brunch (3)romantic (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Easter BrunchFoodfor4Dined on 4/20/2014We had reservations for 4 and were seated immediately upon arrival, even though we were early. The waitress was prompt in acknowledging us. The food came in a reasonable amount of time and was hot and fresh. My bananas foster French toast was delicious but the side of bacon didn't come out with it and we had to catch the waitress to ask about it. The portions were nice size, not too big, not too small.Special Features:
- Saturday supper at ShadwellsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Shadwell's was an experience I've been waiting for and was by no means disappointed. The service was exceptional, the ambiance was perfect & the food was absolutely delicious. I ordered a dish I've had at many restaurants and Shadwell's chicken was a sheer delight. I look forward to my next dining experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!Mud500Dined on 4/17/2014My Manhatten was superb and the food was even better! My wife and I were happy to find this gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Neck RendezvousEatOutEdDined on 4/11/2014Pretty good crab cakes, though not up to Maryland's best. Chicken Calvados is juicy and delicious, but no trace of apples or calvados in its otherwise very tasty sauce. Unfortunately, the patrons of its former incarnation, a budget steakhouse, still flock to it for ribs and steaks. We sat in view of the entrance and were appalled by the parade of really slovenly dressed men and their apparently complicit dates/wives. Rumpled, collared shirts, not tucked in were a high fashion note among this crowd. A surprising number wore just T-shirts (again, not tucked in). Whether camouflage-colored or not, ball caps turned backward and worn throughout the meal were the norm. I consistently see much better dressed men in my weekly trips to Walmart.
- Crabcakes recommendedNoraTVIPDined on 4/5/2014Shadwells was recommended as the place for the best crabcakes in Charlottesville and the crabcakes met and exceeded our expectations. No filler in the cakes, just mayo to hold them together. They had a great crab taste and we encountered no shells. With the crabcake dinner entree, you receive a side salad and choice of one side. At $24.00, they were a bit pricey, but worth it for folks who are from the tidewater region and know good Chesapeake Bay blue crab! We probably will go again, but not have the sweet potatoe fries which are seasoned with cinnamon, and contended with the delicate taste of the crab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We stayed at the Hilton acrosssusheDined on 3/22/2014We stayed at the Hilton across the parking lot and when the concierge recommended the restaurant we decided to try it out. This was the best decision we could have made. The food was excellent. My daughter had the ribs and really enjoyed them. I had the crab cakes and they were seriously the best that I have ever had in my life! That's saying a lot since I'm from Maryland and we have great crab cakes here. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very friendly staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014Our waitress was excellent! She was there when we needed her but didn't hover. She was extremely personable and fun. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2014Sat on the bar side of the restaurant and enjoyed good cocktails and food. Fish tacos were great and the bartender was able to make our special drink requests. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had betternyctrainmanDined on 3/14/2014We were off to a good start. My friend was happy with her potato cakes and my she crab soup was outstanding. But then things went a bit down hill. The waiter messed up the order and brought the wrong main dish for one of my friends. We wait for quite some time before getting her main course. It showed that it was prepared from scratch but which is a good thing but it should have been right in the first place. I asked for prime rib to be be rare. It was "painted" to look that way. The waiter should have come back and told me that a rare cut was not available and I would have made a different choice. Service overall was not the best. The other dishes were OK, hence a rating of "good". The "energetic" noise level to me is annoying.Special Features:
- Girls luncheon was great.ValeriaDined on 3/13/2014The staff was great and the food was wonderful. Very accommodating staff. Prices was over the average. But well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for us--bar scene dominatesEffEffDined on 3/9/2014My wife and I stopped in here to have lunch on a recent Sunday. As soon as we walked in, we saw and heard a raucous group of men in the bar. They were watching NCAA basketball and whooping it up. We were puzzled, since Shadwell's doesn't look like a sports bar. We were shown to a cramped booth (not enough room between the seat and the table for a normal-sized person) and handed menus. This is a pricey place (starters are $7 to $9, main courses $10 to $17). As we scanned the menu, my wife noted that the kitchen staff (it's an open kitchen) were sharing a laugh. Then, something exciting happened in the game on TV in the bar and the guys began cheering loudly. That was our cue to leave. Don't go here if you're want a sophisticated atmosphere.
- What an incredible new restaurant!!charlottesvillefoodieDined on 3/5/2014What a fantastic gem in Charlottesville. Love that this locally owned restaurant uses fresh local ingredients. The food was just wonderful. I had the prime rib and it was some of the best I have ever had. My husband had the she crab soup and the crab cakes. The soup was better than any I have had in the Chesapeake Bay area and the crab cakes had no filler. They were all lump crab meat cooked to perfection. Good portions at a reasonable price. We also had great service! I have been hearing about this place and so happy we went. We will go back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic food!mfozDined on 3/2/2014We've now eaten here 5 times with small and large parties. We've had excellent meals and service every time. So glad to have this quality restaurant on this side of town. Yum, yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationRickDined on 3/1/2014We had a birthday celebration for eight. They put us in a room that had room for us and two additional tables. Perfect! Good solid food, attentive service and nice atmosphere. Even brought us plates for the cake we brought.Special Features:
- quinoa burgerjp4foodDined on 2/22/2014My group tried a lot of the appetizers, which were very good. We had the tempura veggies, potato pancake and the fish tacos. Very good, would get it again. I had the quinoa burger, which I would not get again. The burger lacked basic seasoning, like salt and pepper. It was also mushy. When I cut it in half, the burger spread out and didn't keep its shape. This could be resolved by a different way of cooking it, cooking it longer, so it would be more crispy or a better binder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were seated at a tableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014We were seated at a table with a dirty tablecloth but it was promptly changed at our request. Our meals were good but nothing special. For the price there are better offerings in the Charlottesville area.
- great for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014Food was a little pricey for the quality and quantity. Can understand managing portion size but two asparagus spears crossed over one another kind of chincy. Ambience was nice....great bar spot or place to grab a burger for lunch.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week DinnerIkoSezDined on 2/1/2014Our party of 4 was seated in the bar area which was full of huge TVs all tuned to sports. We had hoped for a finer dining experience but felt more like a sports bar. Had been wanting to try this new-ish place but Restaurant Week may not have been the best time (and it was packed). While the food was high quality and well prepared (stellar crab cake, perfect filet medallions entree and nice dessert and nice wine list, too) the service could use some finesse. Three of our entrees arrived several minutes before the 4th came out (no apologies from server), drinks were slow and plates started being cleared before we had all finished eating. Still, food was very good & we like the non-downtown location so will likely try it again.
- Service seemed be slow, evenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/31/2014Service seemed be slow, even as the restaurant cleared out. It took about 45min per plate, which seemed long.Special Features:
- Shadwell's looks great fromlove2travelDined on 1/31/2014Shadwell's looks great from the outside. The inside was lacking ambiance. The side room with tin roof was horrifically noisy, could barely hear my spouse throughout the entire meal. We dined during restaurant week. 2 of our wine choices were out, had to settle for something else. 1st course was blech (crab cake for me, scallops rockefeller for spouse). 2nd course seafood alfredo, and tenderloin medallions both were delicious! dessert was nice, nothing spectacular.
- Delicious FoodspageDined on 1/31/2014Came for Restaurant Week in Charlottesville. My friends and I each got different things. All of the options were delicious. Would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were delayed 30 mins fromOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/30/2014We were delayed 30 mins from our reservation time due to the kitchen being backup up during restaurant week. They offered us a tasting of a Chardonnay while we waited in attempt to compensate (A glass would have been more appropriate). The lighting is just way off in this place. They have hyper bright LED pendants hanging and then more traditional softer barn light pendants hanging higher up. You are not quite sure if you are in a diner or a fine restaurant. The menu suggests the later but the ambiance suggests the former.
- Shadwell's offerings decentMelftVIPDined on 1/30/2014The best part of my meal at Shadwell's was the she-crab soup. It was very tasty. My tenderloin entree and cheesecake dessert were both fine, but I expected a bigger flavor punch--I wanted the restaurant week menu to really wow me.
- Shadwells is worth trying!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/29/2014I've been to most restaurants in Charlottesville, and we're blessed to have quality and quantity. Shadwells holds true to that theme and provides some really great selections and top quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well run kitchen with chefKatherineDined on 1/27/2014Well run kitchen with chef who is in charge. When asked to bring the appetizer without the sauce on top, a new appetizer was presented. The main course was superb, cooked to perfection. I had the seafood pasta, that was just the right amount. My daughter had the beef medallions, cooked exactly to order. The secret recipe TJ roll was phenomenal with its sweet potato pate. The house dinner rolls were excellent as well, served really warm and dripping with a special oil infusion. The entire experience was great as we had time constrictions. Our waitress adhered to our wishes and was well organized. Hats off to Shadwell's Restaurant! Bon appetit!Special Features:
- Not our first experience,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/26/2014Not our first experience, but certainly our best. We had attentive, but not ovrbearing, service. The Restaurant Week limited menu was excellent with several items we wouls have liked just for the appetizer. She crab soup was one of the best we've had, and the seafood fettucini and beef medallions were both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PenPalPenPenDined on 1/26/2014Thanks for participating in restaurant week. The menu choices were wonderful and all four of us enjoyed every bite of the delicious food. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much great food!SuzabelDined on 1/24/2014We were a party of four. We ordered four appetizers and four entrees - however, one appetizer and two entrees would have fed us. One wedge salad, one Caprese salad, one onion petal and one batter fried vegetables. All were good but the batter fried vegetables was the best - and could have almost served as dinner for one person. The barbeque ribs were wonderful - there was so much moist meat on them. The stuffed pork chops were delicious but unusual. It was two pork chops with the stuffing between them - A LOT of food. The other two diners ordered the beef medallions and every bit was eaten. Needless to say, we didn't even look at the dessert menu. The prices were not that high, given the quality/quantity of food served.Special Features:
- Good food, dependable serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014Like being able to make reservations because it can get quite busy on a weekend night. We tried the jefferson biscuits for an appetizer and they were yummy,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Restaurant that you must try.MiroDined on 1/20/2014This was our first time there after it changed to a new owner and a new name. I was really impressed. The atmosphere was great, the service was awesome and the food was excellent. I wish they had more variety of wine, but even though, the wine I had was still good. We diffenitelly will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but more potentialRoccoBDined on 1/17/2014We ate at Shadwells on a Friday evening with reservations. It was our first visit. The restaurant was busy but not packed and we were seated immediately. We were first struck by the lack of ambience. The interior gave the impression of being a money saving attempt to convert Texas roadhouse (its former self) to a modern/urban restaurant that oddly mixed elements of both and had no distinct feel whatsoever. The service was fair. Nice wait staff, but not up to par yet. The food is Shadwells strength. We were pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Stuffed pork chops and salmon both prepared well, not over cooked, and delicious. I will go back but only after they improve the ambience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, fair serviceDiner14Dined on 1/16/2014Food was good. Service was friendly, but needed improvement (brought another table's food to us and delivered another table's check to us). Ambiance is somewhat industrial - polished concrete floors, open ceiling to rafters... Moderate noise from bar with no major sporting event on TV. They have a couple of rooms for larger groups. Go for good food ara reasonable price. Not an overall fine dining experience, but a nice night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location , great ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2014Nice location , great ambience ! But it went down from there , $24 12oz ribeye was select at its best was not a good deal. Starting a new restaurant is challaging. Portions are lite. Fish tasted like it was frozen. Salad very small. The Sysco rolls were good. I was amazed when the waiter told my wife that the capers on her plate was different tasting little peas?very over priced. Kitchen manager spent more time on cell phone then should have been. The steak was tough but very flavosble . Pork chops were good . I think they buy everything at Sysco and the quality of the food is not adequate for the pric
- DisappointingCindyVIPDined on 1/5/2014After reading many good reviews, we were looking forward to a late Sunday lunch. We were seated promptly but only given the Brunch Menu. We asked for the Lunch Menu and each ordered a starter and lunch. The She Crab Soup was tasty and the standout of all the dishes. The French Onion Soup arrived tepid and sent back was obviously microwaved. The calamari was overcooked as wasthe scallop rockefeller. Three of us ordered the Ahi Tuna Salad which was drenched in sweet/soy dressing and the wasabi mayo was not spicy. The fish tacos were tastless and needed seasoning. The server, who was also the bartender, couldn't remember to bring items we asked for. We will not be back.
- UninspiredMadison4VIPDined on 1/3/2014The bar area looked a little more vibrant while the dining area, consisting mostly of booths was quiet and rather subdued, this was on a Friday evening around 7pm. Service was very friendly, but not great. The white table cloth was stained with wine, we moved the brown napkin acting as placemat over it to hide it. The need better training of the wait staff or better kitchen management. No reason to rush service on a slow night. Our chicken and pork dishes were cooked okay. We wouldn't order them again though. Overall in my opinion it is overpriced for the quality of entrees. It may be a better bet for burgers and sandwiches. At these entree prices there are better choices downtown or in Belmont.Special Features:
- Was my treat for New YearsgracyDined on 12/31/2013My wife and I took her brother and his wife out for New Years Eve dinner, we live in Palmyra and didn't want to travel across town or on the Mall, took a chance with Shadwells. We were all excited with newness of surroundings, varied menu,, atmosphere and various dishes going past our table. Long story short we had a wonderful evening, delicious food with a reasonable price. My wife and I plan to visit again and have told several people about our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchWNH3Dined on 12/23/2013Our party of six enjoyed quite a nice meal, including seafood, gourmet burgers, wraps, French onion soup, and salads, in generous portions which unfortunately left no room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was well preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013The food was well prepared and the presentation was excellent.Special Features:
- Chalk it up to growing painsdiner1974Dined on 12/20/2013This was my second visit but I held off on the review to give this new restaurant a chance to work out the kinks. As far as the food, it was adequate for lunch. Nothing more exciting or better than you might find at any chain restaurant, Applebees or the like, but it was fine. As far as the service....This area needs some serious attention. It took 40 minutes to get a half a dozen sandwiches and we were seated for nearly 10 minutes before we were greated. This was for early lunch in a restaurant that was by no means busy upon our arrival or departure. I will go back, the location is good and as I said, the food is adequate, but my expectation is not for a great dining experience but more a convenient place to eat a business lunch .Special Features:
- Retirement LunchAliceDined on 12/17/2013I was somewhat disappointed--I had made a reservation well in advance and asked if it would be possible to have a table in the quietest part of the restaurant. One of our guests arrived before I did, and she was seated at t small table in the middle of the room. She said they didn't indicate they had a table reserved for us. When I arrived, again they didn't have a specific place for us, but let me choose the only available booth, which was right next to the kitchen. I get vertigo in noisy places, so that's the reason for my request. Thankfully, I didn't have any trouble, but had expected them to acknowledge my request. The waitresses were awesome, but the "greeters" didn't seem to have a clue! In spite of this, I will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.