1791 Richmond Rd
Charlottesville, VA 22911Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shadwellsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (434) 202-2568
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday -Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jabari Wadlingtion
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Shadwells Restaurant
We are located on 250 East on Pantops Mtn at Peter Jefferson Place, adjacent to the new Martha Jefferson Hospital.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shadwells Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (28)fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (18)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (5)hot spot (3)great for brunch (3)romantic (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Very welcoming, a good findTabletGuyDined on 11/20/2014Comfortable dining room and bar, extremely good great service, but most importantly excellent food. I was on business travel to Charlottesville recently and found this place a great spot for meals. The steak and the crab cakes were top quality as were the side dishes. I also had a pint of pecan-something craft beer, cold and perfect. Considering the quality of the menu, the prices are very reasonable. I'll recommend it recommend it to anybody in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow servicenicknameDined on 11/9/2014The food was delicious...once it got to the table. The service was pleasant but it seemed very odd to our party of 6 that it took a full hour from the time we were seated to having our entrees in front of us. The food was not cold nor was it anything but delicious. However, this is definitely not a place to go if you're in a rush to get anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobbobmDined on 11/2/2014Good for those wanting reasonably priced options that work for a group. Service was excellent; food and environment was very good.Special Features:
- happytoeathappytoeatDined on 11/1/2014We had a lovely dinner on November 1, 2014 - the restaurant was very busy, however, our server was very attentive and we never wanted for anything! The food was wonderful - spinach/crab dip, vegetable lasagna, filet, red fish, and crab cakes. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Football Crowd was OverwhelmingfoodiewannabesDined on 10/25/2014The food, as usual, was outstanding, but because of the UVa/UNC football crowd, the staff was stretched and service wasn't quite as good as we have come to expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShadwellsAlainDined on 10/23/2014Great food and great service and a very friendly staff. The crab cakes and the steakSierra are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingfoodiewannabeDined on 10/18/2014Ordered a prime rib medium rare and was served medium well. Rejected and ordered the tenderloin medallions - delish! Waitress failed to ask if we wanted dessert or after dinner anything.
- Good varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Shadwells offers a very good variety of menu items reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good casual dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014First time at Shadwell. Reservation for five. Service was attentive and friendly. Ordered potato cakes and calamari for appetizers. Everyone loved the potato cakes (maybe just a tad bit of salt on the potatoes themselves would have been nice). Calamari was a bit salty and too crispy and small, couldn't really taste the calamari. Caesar salad was too heavily dressed. I like my Caesar with a little bit more tang and acidic and did not get that.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Fair to poor service, very good burgers, however the pasta and sandwich orders did not look appetizing, very small house salad, the 2 appetizers were very small--- barely enough for the party of 5. Will not returnSpecial Features:
- Great service, space, and FOOD!EhcyclistDined on 10/11/2014Really enjoyed our lunch at shadwells. I had the sAlad special and it was delicious. Everything we had was outstanding. The tj sweet potato biscuits with honey butter were to die for. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evokes an interesting complainttrinity3Dined on 10/10/2014I brought two friends who have frequently treated me to dinner elsewhere. I urged them to order the steaks and by all means the she crabsoup. At the end of the dinner I asked their opinion of the meal and the restaurant. They remarked on the extremely affable service that did not hover. They said that their main complaint was that they only ordered a cup of the she crab soup and wanted more when finished. really good stuff!Special Features:
- genericOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014Pretty basic restaurant. Food was just OK. Nothing special about it.Special Features:
- DinnermealsDined on 10/5/2014The overall experience was lovely. I was not overly impressed with the appetizers. The hushpuppies were touted as special and were dry and very small. The rest of my family seemed to enjoy their meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner Was a SuccessfoodiewannabesDined on 10/4/2014We decided to try Shadwell's for my birthday and we were very glad we did. Food was wonderful and our waitress was attentive, efficient and very nice. We'll be back, and by the way, the crab soup is superior!Special Features:
- Outstanding crab cakes!rubyrubyDined on 10/2/2014Best crab cakes we have ever had and we have tried many over the years!Special Features:
- Eat Well @ Shadwell'sBeachpixieVIPDined on 10/2/2014OMG - the warm rolls with whipped butter were irresistible! And the salad with salmon was fresh and selfish with the house dressing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backLou2Dined on 9/29/2014The menu offers a variety of interesting choices without being overwhelming. The tuna special in a loosely draped wrap was delicious, and our friends thought the she-crab soup and the seafood pasta dish were outstanding. There are also plenty of options for meat lovers. I wasn't sure how to rate the noise level; my marking it low means that conversation was easy. The booths seem large enough to seat 6. This was our first time here, but we definitely will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude adjacent dinerpaladinDined on 9/27/2014Tables too close together such that person at adjacent table was rude and intimidating due to his chair being unintentionally bumped. Hanging over our table in threatening way. My guest had to stand up to counter this. Suggested he could contact manager or go to a different table. He left restaurant. That was okay with us but did start the evening on a "down" note. Ribs were a bit dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableEjmquiltsDined on 9/26/2014I am going to fess up...I had reservations for dinner downtown with our out-of-town guests. The traffic and parking were so bad we could not make our reservation there. I got on Open Table and grabbed an open reservation at our neighborhood restaurant, Shadwells. We had a delightful and relaxing dinner. Thanks Shadwells aNd Open Table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- felt far too rushedRushedAndNotHappyDined on 9/13/2014While the food wasn't bad, in fact the Scallops Rockefeller was very good, the entire meal was so rushed I never even had time to finish my glass of wine! We had 2 bites of salad and the appetizers came. Not even half way through those when the entree arrived. Bill brought without being offered coffee or dessert. Ended up with coffee but it was terrible. Sorry bit I won't be back.
- very goodChrisVIPDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant is not very romantic and a bit noisy (music too loud). But the food was extremely well prepared and tasty. the wine list is exceptional and you can get an excellent wine without spending all your money. You can even have an excellent wine by the glass. We had beef: it was perfect. Dessert was less surprizing, quite classic. Overall, we spent a nice evening and we were well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatsamanthaDined on 9/11/2014crab cakes were great. Lots of chunk crab. Dinner rols fresh, hot. Service was superiorI would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatGeeMoneyDined on 9/2/2014The service and food was great. This was my first time. I will be going back.Special Features:
- 4 1/2 StarsDaisy2Dined on 8/30/2014Wish I could give Shadwell's 4 1/2 stars. One minor slip - our salads arrived before our shared appetizer, but the service was otherwise excellent. Iced tea and water glasses were refilled promptly. Tenderloin steak was prepared medium rare as ordered. Fried shrimp were extra large and lightly coated. Creme Brûlée was a masterpiece, rich and creamy without being heavy. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Well done Shadwells!CosmosDined on 8/27/2014Our first visit to this little gem of a restaurant just off I-64 near Charlottesville. As close to a perfect dining experience as it gets. Best crab cakes we have had in Virginia! Daughter had pork chops which were HUGE and also delicious. Our server was super friendly and attentive. The gentleman who delivered our dishes chatted with us about the preparation of the pork chops. He was super friendly also. We don't go west often but next time we drive by Exit 124 on I-64, we'll be stopping by Shadwells.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliableDiner14Dined on 8/22/2014Shadwell's can be relied upon for good food and good service. It is not a high end fancy place, but it's a solid mid-market choice. Ambiance is a bit industrial and noise level can rise when the restaurant is crowded.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab cakes to die forNoraTVIPDined on 8/21/2014Although the crab cakes are why we go to Shadwells - they are famous for their crab cakes - their other entrees are wonderful, too. We used Open Table to make reservations. The waitress was lovely and helpful and we enjoyed chatting with her. My Caesar salad was delish and just the right saltiness. The crab cakes, you get two as an entree, have light seasoning and almost no filler. We would have had one of their yummy desserts, but we were trying to be good. The last glass of the perfect bottle of St. Supery sauvignon blanc was MY dessert!Special Features:
- lopsDined on 8/21/2014Over all there is good menu with many choices for everybody. The food is excellent and portions are good. Service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Eats!BigDDined on 8/18/2014First you have a nice looking restaurant, clean and welcoming. Then comes the best part - the food! A decent selection of varied styles and tastes. I had the fried oysters...perfect! My wife had the chicken strips, which she enjoyed. There was plenty to eat and those rolls...awesome! Repeat customer for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014The steak was overcooked and gristly. The service was poor. Some of us never received water even after requesting it three times. We wanted a quiet table, but were placed in the sports bar that did not even show the Redskins game.
- Consistent qualitywellfedDined on 8/7/2014We have been three times. Each had exceptional food and service. This last one included a wide variety from the standard menu that covered the gauntlet of food types (Fish, Beef and Vegetarian). All were done well and together with the appetizers served in a perfectly timed manner.Special Features:
- Good food!smf8396Dined on 8/2/2014The fingerling potatoes and scallops rockerfeller were delicious!! Service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed enough to returnmajorfoodieDined on 8/1/2014We walked in and the place felt very cozy with a Cape Cod ambiance. Our server had a shadow, I assume, as she didn't really speak. Drinks and appetizer arrived promptly and it went downhill from there. My husband started drinking my drink as his was out and our server was nowhere in sight. I had to personally go to the bar to get a refill for my daughters drink. I ordered a Caesar salad as a side and the dressing was very watery. My husband and I both ordered ribeyes as the prime rib was out. While they were cooked as ordered, more than half of mine was fat. There should be marbeling, but not 3/4 of the steak. The manager did take my order off of the bill, but we will most likely not return.
- Delightful evening!BarbDined on 7/30/2014We took friends that are moving away from area for dinner. It was absolutely wonderful. Two of us had the crab cakes, superb. Other two gad shrimp and oysters, they bragged and they are men, lol. Service was excellent, the entire dining experience was just what we were looking for, for our special occasion. We certainly will be returning again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Unpleasant Surprise!ShechefDined on 7/30/2014From the outside of the building it looks like a very nice upscale restaurant but as soon as you walk in the door, you realize that it's not. Typical booths, wooden tables, tacky decorations and very casual patrons meaning everything from ripped blue jeans to oil stained T-shirts from auto workers! The menu reads fantastic and so do the prices! We were very excited despite our first impression disappointment. I ordered the "fillet oscar" but the fillet was so small like the size of a golf ball! The potatoes were cold and bland. My DH ordered Mahi Mahi that was dry and burn't! So much for our nice romantic 20th wedding anniversary dinner! Next time we'll go to Outbacks!Special Features:
- The following 109 reviews are from the Shadwells Restaurant reviews archive.
- Fantastic dinnerwolf54Dined on 7/26/2014We dined at Shadwell's for restaurant week. The food was fantastic. We have dined there before with great meals. This was the best of all. The service was also excellent. A great meal.Special Features:
- Outstanding AgainJAYZDined on 7/26/2014Although we had a rough start with our waiter all turned out very good after a short talk with him. Service became as expected (outstanding) and the food again was top notch. My wife and I travel one hour to get here and will not question a return visit. Ahi Tuna Salad -- GREAT! - Restaurant week special - Lobster Risotto Croquette, Grilled Mahi with Mango Salsa, Couscous Salad, a side of Brussels and Mushrooms with Chocolate Caramel Bread Pudding for Dessert -- Awesome!!!!! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service and disorganizedgreatVIPDined on 7/26/2014We participated in Restaurant Week and what we ordered on the menu was not what was served. The server was young and unknowledgeable about not only the food but the wine and cider which he attributed to his young age. Our entrees came out well before we were finished with the appetizers and our server was unavailable to order a glass of wine with the entree. The overall experience was very poor.
- Simply Delicious!JillybeanDined on 7/26/2014We've dined at Shadwells several times now, and you can always count on a great meal. I must be honest, the first couple of times we were there while the food was great, the service was not so great. But....they listened to their customers feedback and did some retraining with the waitstaff and now the service is very much improved!!! You must try the She Crab soup...it's delicious. Friendly staff, well managed, great food, a good value and just a great place to meet family & friends for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.