1791 Richmond Rd
Charlottesville, VA 22911Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shadwellsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 434-202-2568x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday -Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jabari Wadlingtion
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Shadwells Restaurant
We are located on 250 East on Pantops Mtn at Peter Jefferson Place, adjacent to the new Martha Jefferson Hospital.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Shadwells Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Shadwells Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (36)good for groups (30)neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (28)great for lunch (19)kid-friendly (11)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (7)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- We'll be backLou2Dined on 9/29/2014The menu offers a variety of interesting choices without being overwhelming. The tuna special in a loosely draped wrap was delicious, and our friends thought the she-crab soup and the seafood pasta dish were outstanding. There are also plenty of options for meat lovers. I wasn't sure how to rate the noise level; my marking it low means that conversation was easy. The booths seem large enough to seat 6. This was our first time here, but we definitely will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude adjacent dinerpaladinDined on 9/27/2014Tables too close together such that person at adjacent table was rude and intimidating due to his chair being unintentionally bumped. Hanging over our table in threatening way. My guest had to stand up to counter this. Suggested he could contact manager or go to a different table. He left restaurant. That was okay with us but did start the evening on a "down" note. Ribs were a bit dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- felt far too rushedRushedAndNotHappyDined on 9/13/2014While the food wasn't bad, in fact the Scallops Rockefeller was very good, the entire meal was so rushed I never even had time to finish my glass of wine! We had 2 bites of salad and the appetizers came. Not even half way through those when the entree arrived. Bill brought without being offered coffee or dessert. Ended up with coffee but it was terrible. Sorry bit I won't be back.
- very goodChrisVIPDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant is not very romantic and a bit noisy (music too loud). But the food was extremely well prepared and tasty. the wine list is exceptional and you can get an excellent wine without spending all your money. You can even have an excellent wine by the glass. We had beef: it was perfect. Dessert was less surprizing, quite classic. Overall, we spent a nice evening and we were well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatsamanthaDined on 9/11/2014crab cakes were great. Lots of chunk crab. Dinner rols fresh, hot. Service was superiorI would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatGeeMoneyDined on 9/2/2014The service and food was great. This was my first time. I will be going back.Special Features:
- 4 1/2 StarsDaisy2Dined on 8/30/2014Wish I could give Shadwell's 4 1/2 stars. One minor slip - our salads arrived before our shared appetizer, but the service was otherwise excellent. Iced tea and water glasses were refilled promptly. Tenderloin steak was prepared medium rare as ordered. Fried shrimp were extra large and lightly coated. Creme Brûlée was a masterpiece, rich and creamy without being heavy. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Well done Shadwells!CosmosDined on 8/27/2014Our first visit to this little gem of a restaurant just off I-64 near Charlottesville. As close to a perfect dining experience as it gets. Best crab cakes we have had in Virginia! Daughter had pork chops which were HUGE and also delicious. Our server was super friendly and attentive. The gentleman who delivered our dishes chatted with us about the preparation of the pork chops. He was super friendly also. We don't go west often but next time we drive by Exit 124 on I-64, we'll be stopping by Shadwells.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliableDiner14Dined on 8/22/2014Shadwell's can be relied upon for good food and good service. It is not a high end fancy place, but it's a solid mid-market choice. Ambiance is a bit industrial and noise level can rise when the restaurant is crowded.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab cakes to die forNoraTVIPDined on 8/21/2014Although the crab cakes are why we go to Shadwells - they are famous for their crab cakes - their other entrees are wonderful, too. We used Open Table to make reservations. The waitress was lovely and helpful and we enjoyed chatting with her. My Caesar salad was delish and just the right saltiness. The crab cakes, you get two as an entree, have light seasoning and almost no filler. We would have had one of their yummy desserts, but we were trying to be good. The last glass of the perfect bottle of St. Supery sauvignon blanc was MY dessert!Special Features:
- lopsDined on 8/21/2014Over all there is good menu with many choices for everybody. The food is excellent and portions are good. Service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Eats!BigDDined on 8/18/2014First you have a nice looking restaurant, clean and welcoming. Then comes the best part - the food! A decent selection of varied styles and tastes. I had the fried oysters...perfect! My wife had the chicken strips, which she enjoyed. There was plenty to eat and those rolls...awesome! Repeat customer for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014The steak was overcooked and gristly. The service was poor. Some of us never received water even after requesting it three times. We wanted a quiet table, but were placed in the sports bar that did not even show the Redskins game.
- Consistent qualitywellfedDined on 8/7/2014We have been three times. Each had exceptional food and service. This last one included a wide variety from the standard menu that covered the gauntlet of food types (Fish, Beef and Vegetarian). All were done well and together with the appetizers served in a perfectly timed manner.Special Features:
- Good food!smf8396Dined on 8/2/2014The fingerling potatoes and scallops rockerfeller were delicious!! Service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed enough to returnmajorfoodieDined on 8/1/2014We walked in and the place felt very cozy with a Cape Cod ambiance. Our server had a shadow, I assume, as she didn't really speak. Drinks and appetizer arrived promptly and it went downhill from there. My husband started drinking my drink as his was out and our server was nowhere in sight. I had to personally go to the bar to get a refill for my daughters drink. I ordered a Caesar salad as a side and the dressing was very watery. My husband and I both ordered ribeyes as the prime rib was out. While they were cooked as ordered, more than half of mine was fat. There should be marbeling, but not 3/4 of the steak. The manager did take my order off of the bill, but we will most likely not return.
- Delightful evening!BarbDined on 7/30/2014We took friends that are moving away from area for dinner. It was absolutely wonderful. Two of us had the crab cakes, superb. Other two gad shrimp and oysters, they bragged and they are men, lol. Service was excellent, the entire dining experience was just what we were looking for, for our special occasion. We certainly will be returning again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Unpleasant Surprise!ShechefDined on 7/30/2014From the outside of the building it looks like a very nice upscale restaurant but as soon as you walk in the door, you realize that it's not. Typical booths, wooden tables, tacky decorations and very casual patrons meaning everything from ripped blue jeans to oil stained T-shirts from auto workers! The menu reads fantastic and so do the prices! We were very excited despite our first impression disappointment. I ordered the "fillet oscar" but the fillet was so small like the size of a golf ball! The potatoes were cold and bland. My DH ordered Mahi Mahi that was dry and burn't! So much for our nice romantic 20th wedding anniversary dinner! Next time we'll go to Outbacks!Special Features:
- Fantastic dinnerwolf54Dined on 7/26/2014We dined at Shadwell's for restaurant week. The food was fantastic. We have dined there before with great meals. This was the best of all. The service was also excellent. A great meal.Special Features:
- Outstanding AgainJAYZDined on 7/26/2014Although we had a rough start with our waiter all turned out very good after a short talk with him. Service became as expected (outstanding) and the food again was top notch. My wife and I travel one hour to get here and will not question a return visit. Ahi Tuna Salad -- GREAT! - Restaurant week special - Lobster Risotto Croquette, Grilled Mahi with Mango Salsa, Couscous Salad, a side of Brussels and Mushrooms with Chocolate Caramel Bread Pudding for Dessert -- Awesome!!!!! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service and disorganizedgreatVIPDined on 7/26/2014We participated in Restaurant Week and what we ordered on the menu was not what was served. The server was young and unknowledgeable about not only the food but the wine and cider which he attributed to his young age. Our entrees came out well before we were finished with the appetizers and our server was unavailable to order a glass of wine with the entree. The overall experience was very poor.
- Simply Delicious!JillybeanDined on 7/26/2014We've dined at Shadwells several times now, and you can always count on a great meal. I must be honest, the first couple of times we were there while the food was great, the service was not so great. But....they listened to their customers feedback and did some retraining with the waitstaff and now the service is very much improved!!! You must try the She Crab soup...it's delicious. Friendly staff, well managed, great food, a good value and just a great place to meet family & friends for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely DinnerScillaDined on 7/25/2014Our group of 7 enjoyed our dinner on the very busy Friday night of Restaurant Week. The front desk staff was attentive despite being a bit overwhelmed by all the walk in diners. Our server was very efficient and charming, patiently explaining the different choices. I was impressed by cheerful friendly bar staff who made us feel very welcome. The food was well prepared and we all enjoyed our Restaurant Week choices. We especially loved the Calamari appetizers. We will return to Shadwell's soon for a taste of the full menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week WinnerfoodsnobVIPDined on 7/24/2014Took the whole family here during restaurant week for their price-fixed 3-course dinner. Everything was outstanding from the smoked duck salad and she crab soup appetizers to the filet oscar and crab cake mains. The chocolate bread pudding is quite decadent and rich. Will definitely return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- againbettyeeatsoutDined on 7/23/2014I eat at Shadwell's a lot with friends from WCBR which is right across the street. This last meal was especially good and I had a woman with mne who had never been there and is very picky. She thought the crab cakes were the best she had had in this area. It was very crowded because of restaurant week and noisier than usual but still good evening.Special Features:
- The sever seemed disconnectedThecloserDined on 7/22/2014The manager's took a while to stop at our table to greet my wife and I for some reason. They stopped at the tables around us though. Finally, they made it by to say hello. It was quick, rushed and didn't seem sincere. I've been to a lot of restaurants and this one was "ok", but you can tell they are not as savvy as they say they are. Service is everything, then food must be great. The food was good, not great. My plate was hot "per the sever", however my food was not. Who does that??Special Features:
- Shadwell Restaurant'sRobieDined on 7/22/2014This restaurant is outstanding. Loved that we brought our two grandsons 5 and almost 3, and we had a beautiful room with a nice view to ourselves. This little thoughtfulness went along way in that it allowed us to celebrate their parents anniversary without worrying about the children and if they had a slight melt down or needed a gentle reminder how to behave we were not bothering other guest. The waitress was professional yet down home friendly and we enjoyed her. The food I cannot say enough,have already started to spread the word on this wonderful establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but noisydinnergalDined on 7/21/2014We tried Shadwell's at dinner as part of restaurant week. Food was good, but it was quite noisy... lots of hard surfaces to echo sound... needs some sound buffering. Can't comment on portion size as I assume they were smaller than usual given the fixed price during restaurant week ($26 for 3 courses). Food was pretty good. Menu offering in general was decent.Special Features:
- Great FoodMattDined on 7/21/2014The food was amazing and the service was great. The place is a little loud though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome DinnerdinneroutDined on 7/21/2014Went to Shadwells for Restaurant Week. Fabulous dinner! Wedge salad, filet oscar, and creme brule. Waiter was excellent. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer finddinersdelightDined on 7/21/2014An excellent addition to the Charlottesville dining scene...very good food, great menu selection, excellent service and definitely one of our favorites.dSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingMandelaDined on 7/20/2014Food was really good. Not so impressed with the wine. Great cobbler pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014We enjoyed the restaurant very much and will definitely return in the future to try the regular menu, as we ordered from the restaurant week menu. Food was delicious, steak cooked perfectly! Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservations don't matter hereAbiGoDined on 7/19/2014We were visting Monticello and arrived on time for our confirmed reservation and were told to stand in line with all those without reservations. We then had to wait until everyone without a rez was seated first. Ridiculous. What was the point of making the reservation in the first place? The hostess was very rude when I asked if we needed to wait behind everyone else. We almost walked out. Our server was sweet aK. We can probably leave from mom's. nd pretty attentive overall. Delicious fresh food which my fiancé very much enjoyed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The restaurant service was awesome. We had reservations but we were about 45 minutes late because of a diaper disaster. We called to let them know and on a busy night we were seated as soon as we finally arrived. The waiter was excellent and the food was very good. It wasn't the most innovative food I've ever had but my filet mignon was cooked perfectly and everything tasted great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summertime MenuOutOfTownersDined on 7/19/2014We were in Charlottesville visiting the University. Shadwells was recommended to us. The summertime menu was fabulous. Our waiter was wonderful. The food was unique and gathered from local farms. The only slight negative to the whole experience was the noise level. Slightly louder than desired for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for groupHuffyDined on 7/13/2014They had a great room for our small group with a door we could close if we wanted to. A nice variety on the menu to choose from. The service was excellent and everyone had a good experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014VERY FEW PEOPLE,SUNDAY,3 OF US,DRINKS FINE,SALAD SERVED IMMEDIATELY.NO TIME TO VISIT OVER DRINKS,DINNER SERVED RIGHT ON TOP OF SALAD.UNACCEPTABLE! PLACE TO EAT,NOT DINE! WAITER DISINTERESTED
- Not What We ExpectedlindawdwDined on 6/15/2014We felt rushed to order dinner as they closed at 9 pm and we arrived at 7:25. We started with fried calamari which was just OK and then my salad (that came with my entree) came out soon after which was pretty good but our entree came out soon after and my salmon was cold and somewhat under cooked. My husband got the beef tenderloin which he enjoyed but it wasn't super hot. I told the server that my meal was cold and the manager did comp us for half off my entree and gave us a free dessert. They were very apologetic for the cold entree and offered to bring me something else. By this time I wasn't hungry so I declined. This restaurant was a disappointment to us but I did like that they tried to make it up to us with the comp and dessert.Special Features:
- James F. DickersonZionCrossroadsRealtorDined on 6/15/2014We've dined at Shadwells a half dozen times and enjoyed enjoyed every meal. The seafood preparations not overdone (over breaded, over fried, just the right filler in the crab cakes, etc.). This spring I got hooked on fish tacos in Nags Head and find the Shadwells fish tacos just as yummy as those on the Outer Banks. Sunday we had family in town for a father's day celebration. The wait staff provides efficient service with great knowledge of the food. Some of us have special dietary needs and they're able to find multiple choices instead of just one item on the menu. It's great to have a true restaurant on the East Side of Charlottesville!Special Features: