Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
1750 Wharf Rd.
Capitola, CA 95010Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shadowbrook-capitola.com/
- Phone: 8314751511
- Hours of Operation:
Winter Dining Hours: Mon-Fri 5:00pm-8:45pm Sat 4:30pm-9:30pm Sun 4:30pm-8:45pm Winter Rockroom Bar Menu Available: Mon-Sat 4:00pm-10:00pm Sunday 2:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Kresge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Shadowbrook has an in-house pastry department for banquet, wedding, or special occasion needs. For more information please call Allyson at 831-475-1222.
- Private Party Facilities: Shadowbrook's four private dining rooms are the perfect location for evening special events, receptions, and weddings for groups of 10 to 100.
- Private Party Contact: Allyson 8314751222
- Entertainment: Live music in the Rock Room Lounge Friday and Saturday nights.
- Special Events: Mention to us that it is your birthday and receive a complimentary ice cream sundae.
A word from Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
In Capitola-by-the-Sea, beside lush Soquel Creek just before it empties into the Monterey bay, Shadowbrook is best reached by its own quaint, hillside 'cable car' or the meandering garden path alongside waterfalls, ferns and flowers. For over 60 years, Shadowbrook has been famous its for fine food, wine and liqueurs served in an atmosphere of Old World charm and grace. Now, better then ever, Shadowbrook is perfect for any special occasion...or for no occasion at all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola - Best Restaurants in Capitola ›
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola reviews from OpenTable diners
552 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (471)romantic (440)scenic view (417)fit for foodies (224)neighborhood gem (206)great for outdoor dining (182)notable wine list (160)good for groups (144)vibrant bar scene (75)hot spot (72)kid-friendly (68)great for brunch (55)late-night find (47)great for lunch (43)Show More
- shadowbrookOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014location was awesome, had reservations for 5pm got there early sat a bar , atmosphere was warm and welcoming, bartender was great didn't get his name. Glenn was our dinner waiter and he is an exceptional find. Glenn and the busboy where efficient and friendly, they both gave us a history lesson on the Shadowbrook.We went to celebrate our birthdays, we had zucchini appetizers which were out of this world. my wife had prime rib dinner and I had panko and pecan mahi-mahi which were cooked perfectly. As soon as Glenn found out about our birthdays he brought out a great ice cream desert with candles and sang happy birthday. View and atmosphere were awesome we are already making plans for a return visit. We highly recommend this restaurant .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent service toosusieDined on 10/26/2014Great eveing. Great food, service wine everything!!Special Features:
- Dinner at the ShadowbrookggevDined on 10/25/2014I have eaten at the Shadowbrook many times, and always have a wonderful experience. One of my favorite dishes is prime rib, but unfortunately this time, I was quite disappointed. The prime rib was very tough. I will say that the rest of the meal was delicious.Special Features:
- Awesome!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014A co worker recommended Shadowbrook so I had to see for myself. I took a friend & my daughter. We had an awesome experience! Our waiter, Brent, was very knowledge. Definitely worth the two hour drive & we will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit Not LastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014I've heard all about the Shadowbrook since high school and it was everything I expected. At 61, I have been at some excellent restaurants and this is one of the most notable, top 10, I've been to. My wife and I will be back.Special Features:
- Romantic DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The scene was set from the start, taking a descent into tranquility. The atmosphere and scene stunned for romance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully IntimateAZKASRDined on 10/24/2014The Shadowbrook is a one of a kind restaurant. The various dining rooms are small and gives a sense of being special. The food is very good and varied enough that anyone could find something to enjoy. The staff was superb. I would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryFiftyDined on 10/24/2014We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary there. Very nice.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining Experiencelagunatic345VIPDined on 10/24/2014Breathtaking scenery, gracious and attentive service, and truly wonderful food. This is one of the best dining experiences -- ever. Not to be missed.Special Features:
- Mostly perfectMrMrsRDined on 10/24/2014Shadowbrook has been a family favorite for holidays and special events since the early 80's. When my husband and I were deciding where to celebrate our first anniversary, it was an easy choice. It has become our tradition every year and we always look forward to it. Every visit has been perfection, with just a few small complaints about this recent trip. We weren't offered refills on our drink orders or waters, they weren't generally as attentive as usual, and they didn't give us the anniversary truffles which we were really excited to receive. It made it feel a bit ordinary without that acknowledgement. Other than that we really enjoyed our visit and look forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialSeniorDined on 10/23/2014As a treat for the organizing committee of an event, we decided to hold our last "meeting" at Shadowbrook. A perfect ending to a perfect event. It couldn't have been better. Our server Matt was friendly but not pushy and the bus "boy" was mature with a little sparkle. All our food choices exceeded our expectations. The lights in the trees beautiful. The cable car was fun. Shadowbrook's history and mine, from high school Senior to senior citizen, have been closely linked for over 60 years. This is definitely the best dining experience in our area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Specials OccasionYummyDined on 10/22/2014After walking down many steps through beautiful gardens and by waterfalls and ponds, we arrived at a lovely old building with 7 dinning rooms. We were seated in the garden room overlooking the waterway filled with lights. Our energetic waiter helped make the experience wonderful, suggesting a perfect combination of food. We especially liked the Ahi Tuna appetizer and shared a prime rib dinner. Upon leaving, we took the tram back up to the parking lot. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- clwright5510Dined on 10/22/2014good place, and atmosphere, nice menu and good service, bartender even topped off drink, not cheap and scotch list could be bigger,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceCoachbryanDined on 10/22/2014My wife and I have enjoyed our dinning experience a two occasions. Both times we were greeted by friendly hostess and promptly seated. The serving staff was also friendly and educated in the food choices. The food was delivered to us in a timely manner. The taste of our food was expectional. A truly well done experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining Night Out1sttimedisappointedDined on 10/22/2014We have been coming to the Shadowbrook for 18 years usually for special occasions. This time we were taking my sister and daughter out for dinner. Spent some time in the bar first to enjoy the wonderful ambiance of the gorgeous bar. The dinner was fantastic, as always, and the servers (Sam and Ken-in training) were very attentive and pleasant. But, shortly after we were seated, a group/family with two small children were seated right next to us and there were plenty of other tables! The experience somewhat deteriorated after that. The children were running around and became somewhat noisy. In a place where one spends close to $300 to enjoy a special dinner evening out, it's unfortunate that we had to endure this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Anniversarywefancy4youDined on 10/20/2014This was my first time eating about at a fancy restaurant, and my overall experience was excellent. I enjoyed ever moment of it. The night was very memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Place!mcarlDined on 10/20/2014If in Capitola, this is the place to go! Wonderful.Special Features:
- Shadowbrook, Capitolawalnutcreeknewlyweds2Dined on 10/19/2014We loved our experience at Shadowbrook. The food was great, must try the Brie appetizer, AWESOME. The ride down their little tram car was fun and so unique. The gardens are wonderful. We suggest you walk down to the restaurant and take the tram up after your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance is EverythingChowhoundVIPDined on 10/19/2014The food is just OK, but the ambiance makes up for everything.I would recommend this to a friend.
- timeless treasureOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014we came to Shadowbrook 36 years ago when we got engaged. The food,atmosphere and service was excellent. We went Back to Shadowbrook while my husband was at a conference. Everything was just as I remembered it. Looking forward to coming back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food/serviceBirthdayDined on 10/19/2014I had high hopes that this would be a great place to celebrate my sons 40th birthday. The bar service was excellent, the waitress was very knowledgeable about the food and very up beat. When we were seated for dinner it went downhill, service was very very slow, the food arrived Luke warm, not sure where the hold up was at, I assume the waitress was slow getting the food out.Special Features:
- The most romantic restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014It was our two year anniversary and we very happy with Shadowbrook. It has beautiful garden. The food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner spotLifeistooshortDined on 10/18/2014I have been coming here for more than 30 years and each and every time seems like a special time. The place is awesome for impressing your guest and the different levels and decor for each room is great. This is one of my favorite restaurants ever.Special Features:
- it's a mustOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014If you are visiting the bay area this restaurant is a must place to see and eat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love ShadowbrookLovetoeatdinnerDined on 10/18/2014We have been dining here for many years and is our restaurant since our first date together many years ago!Special Features:
- A TABLE FOR EVERY OCCASSIONOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We tried the lovely patio this time near the chef's garden. While there was no view of the river, the view of the garden and the trees was lovely. Nice thing about Shadowbrook is that they have many different dining rooms and you'll find one that is sure to please. Waiter was very knowledgeable about what was on the menu and there was plenty of extra hands to tend to the water, bread and taking plates, etc. They were very conscious of the pace and went at our speed. It was lovely.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The evening started at the bar I was alone fordinner an d meet a great couple that were there for there aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Wonderful from the moment I walked in! I was alone for dinner. Went to the bar for a cocktail and meet a couple there who were having an anniversary , when Gail came in and wanted to know if the seat between us was taken? And so she joined us Also alone, had good conversation with her invited her to join an be my guest for dinner had a lovely evening , Wonderful food and wine suggested by our Lovely waitperson Tarah!! Typically relaxed dining experince! Met a New friend, Had a Wonderful dinner and a GREAT Waitperson in TARAAH.....Want more could BETTER!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Location, Very CharmingEricDined on 10/17/2014It was a wonderful place for my fiancee and I to celebrate. Our waiter was knowledgeable and helpful, and the food and drinks arrived quickly and were simply amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobnarDined on 10/17/2014Great food, excellent service, beautiful setting. We go to Shadowbrook to celebrate special milestones, this was my husband's 50th. We were stuck in traffic heading over the hill, but we called ahead to let them know. They moved our reservation to 15 minutes later and seated us promptly when we finally arrived. The roasted tomato soup special was beyond compare, the smoky char of the tomatoes came through just enough. The filet was so tender and the Gizdich fruit pies were delicious. The only downside was that the room we were in was noisier than other rooms we'd dined in before as there were many large groups celebrating. Despite this, we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversarydinner$160 for not great2foodcriticsDined on 10/17/2014A bit over priced for the food and overrated. Not much of a view. Would rather have gone to a more elegant, clean, place or even ocean side. Will not allow you to reserve a table with view. We got placed in a corner by stairs for anniversary. Our special occasion was not so special. Wife ordered salmon dinner and only got salmon. No sides. Better choices out there for $160. Service was good in restaurant, not bar. Posted dress code but ignored. Wear what you want.Special Features:
- Great night at ShadowbrookBullitsDined on 10/16/2014As return customers we expected a great evening and we were not disappointed. Food, service and ambiance produced a great evening. We would highly recommend Shadowbrook to anyone interested in a great dinning experience. Keep up the good work!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at this place.CarlnAbbyDined on 10/16/2014This was a special occasion we rarly spend over $100 on dinner for the two of us. It was our Anniversary and we were wanting a special experience. While the ambience location and scenic view are outstanding it was a bit over rated and there were a lot of people seated close to us while other rooms were empty and this caused the noise leave to get elevated toward the end of our dinner which was a little intrusive but the way the room is setup it's Inevitable. Other then the noise issue and the food being real good but not great I would go back again but I wouldn't get dressed up again since it not a real "dressy place".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experience!NotHard2PleaseVIPDined on 10/14/2014A West Coast gem. We even ride their taxi to and from dinner. Wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/14/2014We enjoyed a lovely birthday celebration dinner. The new chef and sous chef are doing a great job. Our server was helpful with our wine choice and was able to substitute a side for a diner who had some health issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great restaurant for date nightRayGDined on 10/14/2014We had heard good things about Shadowbrook, and were not disappointed. The food was outstanding, well prepared, imaginative and cooked to perfection. The ambiance and setting are wonderful, the staff are helpful and knowledgable. A great place to celebrate!Special Features:
- unique restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014Beautiful grounds with restaurant far down hill. We walked down & took the cute trolley back up. Nice ambiance. Husband had blackened salmon - wonderful. I had beef brochettes with a truffle infused gnocchi - melt in yr mouth beef but gnocchi okay. Excellent caesar. One complaint: silverware so thin you could cut yourself, a big disappointment for such a nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014Our dinner was excellent. The grounds and restaurant are memorable. Arriving via their cable/elevator car was unique and delightful. Service was great. All dinners were outstanding as were the appetizer and dessert. We will recommend to others.Special Features:
- 1 Year Wedding Anniversary DinnerChefJeffWineGuyDined on 10/12/2014We had a great time & really enjoyed the experience. I would describe it as a cross between Disneyland & 1990s Vegas with an old school, classic American cuisine menu. It was priced exactly where it should be and had a good variety on the menu. We made reservations through Open Table, but I didn't expect to be given a pager to be alerted as to when our table was ready. There are multiple dining rooms and the hostess was very friendly and offered to show us around. The dining room they were going to seat us in was very loud & crowded. We asked to be seated in the "wine cellar room" where it was much more romantic. The server was pretty good, but seemed to be having a bad night. The highlight is the tram style elevator & the decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant I've ever beenscarydrewDined on 10/12/2014I've not done much fancy dining in my 27 years, but at the same time, $180 with tax and tip for 2 people isn't an over the top fancy dining price, yet comes with the fancy dining experience. fantastic food, i hate fish but i tasted some of my girlfriends dish and it was fantastic, my one pound surf and turf was incredible and delicious. The corking fee was a modest $20 for us to drink our favorite bottle of wine. the service was impeccable and the atmosphere is unmatched. The view coming down the stairs as well as riding the really cool trolley back up is stunning, and the garden room in which we dined was gorgeous, romantic, and comforting.Special Features:
- loved the viewAuauDined on 10/12/2014Dined here with my family, we were all in love with the view that Shadowbrook offered. However, the food was not up to expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.