Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
1750 Wharf Rd.
Capitola, CA 95010Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shadowbrook-capitola.com/
- Phone: 8314751511
- Hours of Operation:
Winter Dining Hours: Mon-Fri 5:00pm-8:45pm Sat 4:30pm-9:30pm Sun 4:30pm-8:45pm Winter Rockroom Bar Menu Available: Mon-Sat 4:00pm-10:00pm Sunday 2:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Kresge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Shadowbrook has an in-house pastry department for banquet, wedding, or special occasion needs. For more information please call Allyson at 831-475-1222.
- Private Party Facilities: Shadowbrook's four private dining rooms are the perfect location for evening special events, receptions, and weddings for groups of 10 to 100.
- Private Party Contact: Allyson 8314751222
- Entertainment: Live music in the Rock Room Lounge Friday and Saturday nights.
- Special Events: Mention to us that it is your birthday and receive a complimentary ice cream sundae.
A word from Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
In Capitola-by-the-Sea, beside lush Soquel Creek just before it empties into the Monterey bay, Shadowbrook is best reached by its own quaint, hillside 'cable car' or the meandering garden path alongside waterfalls, ferns and flowers. For over 60 years, Shadowbrook has been famous its for fine food, wine and liqueurs served in an atmosphere of Old World charm and grace. Now, better then ever, Shadowbrook is perfect for any special occasion...or for no occasion at all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola - Best Restaurants in Capitola ›
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola reviews from OpenTable diners
565 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (475)romantic (450)scenic view (429)fit for foodies (217)neighborhood gem (206)great for outdoor dining (192)notable wine list (159)good for groups (152)hot spot (76)kid-friendly (74)vibrant bar scene (72)great for brunch (61)late-night find (49)great for lunch (45)Show More
- 2nd AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014This was my first time eating about at a fancy restaurant, and my overall experience was excellent. I enjoyed ever moment of it. The night was very memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance is EverythingChowhoundVIPDined on 10/19/2014The food is just OK, but the ambiance makes up for everything.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food/serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I had high hopes that this would be a great place to celebrate my sons 40th birthday. The bar service was excellent, the waitress was very knowledgeable about the food and very up beat. When we were seated for dinner it went downhill, service was very very slow, the food arrived Luke warm, not sure where the hold up was at, I assume the waitress was slow getting the food out.Special Features:
- The most romantic restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014It was our two year anniversary and we very happy with Shadowbrook. It has beautiful garden. The food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014I have been coming here for more than 30 years and each and every time seems like a special time. The place is awesome for impressing your guest and the different levels and decor for each room is great. This is one of my favorite restaurants ever.Special Features:
- Love ShadowbrookLovetoeatdinnerDined on 10/18/2014We have been dining here for many years and is our restaurant since our first date together many years ago!Special Features:
- A TABLE FOR EVERY OCCASSIONOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We tried the lovely patio this time near the chef's garden. While there was no view of the river, the view of the garden and the trees was lovely. Nice thing about Shadowbrook is that they have many different dining rooms and you'll find one that is sure to please. Waiter was very knowledgeable about what was on the menu and there was plenty of extra hands to tend to the water, bread and taking plates, etc. They were very conscious of the pace and went at our speed. It was lovely.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The evening started at the bar I was alone fordinner an d meet a great couple that were there for there aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Wonderful from the moment I walked in! I was alone for dinner. Went to the bar for a cocktail and meet a couple there who were having an anniversary , when Gail came in and wanted to know if the seat between us was taken? And so she joined us Also alone, had good conversation with her invited her to join an be my guest for dinner had a lovely evening , Wonderful food and wine suggested by our Lovely waitperson Tarah!! Typically relaxed dining experince! Met a New friend, Had a Wonderful dinner and a GREAT Waitperson in TARAAH.....Want more could BETTER!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Location, Very CharmingEricDined on 10/17/2014It was a wonderful place for my fiancee and I to celebrate. Our waiter was knowledgeable and helpful, and the food and drinks arrived quickly and were simply amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobnarDined on 10/17/2014Great food, excellent service, beautiful setting. We go to Shadowbrook to celebrate special milestones, this was my husband's 50th. We were stuck in traffic heading over the hill, but we called ahead to let them know. They moved our reservation to 15 minutes later and seated us promptly when we finally arrived. The roasted tomato soup special was beyond compare, the smoky char of the tomatoes came through just enough. The filet was so tender and the Gizdich fruit pies were delicious. The only downside was that the room we were in was noisier than other rooms we'd dined in before as there were many large groups celebrating. Despite this, we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night at ShadowbrookBullitsDined on 10/16/2014As return customers we expected a great evening and we were not disappointed. Food, service and ambiance produced a great evening. We would highly recommend Shadowbrook to anyone interested in a great dinning experience. Keep up the good work!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at this place.CarlnAbbyDined on 10/16/2014This was a special occasion we rarly spend over $100 on dinner for the two of us. It was our Anniversary and we were wanting a special experience. While the ambience location and scenic view are outstanding it was a bit over rated and there were a lot of people seated close to us while other rooms were empty and this caused the noise leave to get elevated toward the end of our dinner which was a little intrusive but the way the room is setup it's Inevitable. Other then the noise issue and the food being real good but not great I would go back again but I wouldn't get dressed up again since it not a real "dressy place".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experience!NotHard2PleaseVIPDined on 10/14/2014A West Coast gem. We even ride their taxi to and from dinner. Wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/14/2014We enjoyed a lovely birthday celebration dinner. The new chef and sous chef are doing a great job. Our server was helpful with our wine choice and was able to substitute a side for a diner who had some health issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great restaurant for date nightRayGDined on 10/14/2014We had heard good things about Shadowbrook, and were not disappointed. The food was outstanding, well prepared, imaginative and cooked to perfection. The ambiance and setting are wonderful, the staff are helpful and knowledgable. A great place to celebrate!Special Features:
- unique restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014Beautiful grounds with restaurant far down hill. We walked down & took the cute trolley back up. Nice ambiance. Husband had blackened salmon - wonderful. I had beef brochettes with a truffle infused gnocchi - melt in yr mouth beef but gnocchi okay. Excellent caesar. One complaint: silverware so thin you could cut yourself, a big disappointment for such a nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 Year Wedding Anniversary DinnerChefJeffWineGuyDined on 10/12/2014We had a great time & really enjoyed the experience. I would describe it as a cross between Disneyland & 1990s Vegas with an old school, classic American cuisine menu. It was priced exactly where it should be and had a good variety on the menu. We made reservations through Open Table, but I didn't expect to be given a pager to be alerted as to when our table was ready. There are multiple dining rooms and the hostess was very friendly and offered to show us around. The dining room they were going to seat us in was very loud & crowded. We asked to be seated in the "wine cellar room" where it was much more romantic. The server was pretty good, but seemed to be having a bad night. The highlight is the tram style elevator & the decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant I've ever beenscarydrewDined on 10/12/2014I've not done much fancy dining in my 27 years, but at the same time, $180 with tax and tip for 2 people isn't an over the top fancy dining price, yet comes with the fancy dining experience. fantastic food, i hate fish but i tasted some of my girlfriends dish and it was fantastic, my one pound surf and turf was incredible and delicious. The corking fee was a modest $20 for us to drink our favorite bottle of wine. the service was impeccable and the atmosphere is unmatched. The view coming down the stairs as well as riding the really cool trolley back up is stunning, and the garden room in which we dined was gorgeous, romantic, and comforting.Special Features:
- loved the viewAuauDined on 10/12/2014Dined here with my family, we were all in love with the view that Shadowbrook offered. However, the food was not up to expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Haha5Dined on 10/12/2014Everything is good besides the foods could be too salty sometimes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great timeSAFARIMANDined on 10/12/2014My wife and I have eaten here several times, and it has always been exceptional. My filet was exactly as I like it, with no improvement needed. My wife's salmon was very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014are services was great the staff was courteous and pleasant. It was my birthday that day 12th the waitress made me feel special on my special Day thank will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but small portions of food.NotAFanAnyMoreDined on 10/11/2014This is a beautiful restaurant and I have been coming here for about 30 years. My son ordered the butchers steak for 34$ and it was 3 pieces of steak with a few carrots and a a few tablespoons of mashed potatoes. It looked lovely but hardly enough food for the price, could have given a few more slices of steak or at least more vegetables!! I was astonished at all the portion sizes for the prices. The vegan meal that was ordered was huge in comparison to the other meals that were ordered among the 5 diners. I will have lunch in the lounge if I ever go back to eat there and just take visitors to see it and eat somewhere else. It is a beautiful place but it has out priced the meal portions for me and my family.Special Features:
- Food was fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2014Waitress terrific but a 30 minute wait even with reservation and requested quiet table and was sat next to two large gatherings with kids running around. Not exactly a quiet dinner to celebrate anniversary as we hoped. Food was very good.
- Not as good as we expectedflyboyDined on 10/9/2014The appearance of the place was amazing. Very beautiful, old restaurant and the grounds are so well kept. Lots of little side rooms to explore with antiques everywhere you look. The service was above average and our waitress was very friendly and attentive. The food was a bit of a disappointment. The prime rib ordered was on the tough side even though the presentation was good, the food was mediocure. My brook trout was not so great either. I didn't like the cornmeal coating that the fish was cooked and the picked cabbage under it was a terrible combination. We would go there again for a special occasion, but probably not anytime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014A touch of yesterday, as far as ambiance is concerned A very pleasant experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shadowbrookluvgrumpy8Dined on 10/6/2014One of my favorite restaurants for a romantic night. The service is great and the view is wonderful. I wish I lived closer so I could go more often, it really is a special place. The food was a little off the night we were there. Normally it is superb, but must have hit a off night. It wasn't bad, just wasn't the usual delicious food we have enjoyed in the past. The hot bread served at your table is great and they always serve fresh butter with the bread. I like the fact that they never seem to rush you and I have never had a bad evening there.Special Features:
- Happy Anniversary!HipreplacementDined on 10/5/2014Great food! Great service! Celebrated wedding anniversary! Great family! A "great" place to go for a special occasion, but in a group. Not a very romantic quiet place for two. We went as a family so it worked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for anniversarymcchDined on 10/4/2014Atmosphere great. Dedicated a song to us for our anniversary and chocolate truffles on the house for dessert. I will be back.Special Features:
- great ambianceRick121Dined on 10/4/2014The gondola ride is an excellent way to begin and end, a wonderful evening. Not an expansive menu, but all of the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovethisplaceDined on 10/4/2014Shadowbrook is a destination restaurant for me; I live 70 miles away in San Francisco and go to Capitola just to eat at this restaurant. My reviews of Shadowbrook are usually raves; this visit rated a little lower simply because we chose to eat outside, which was pleasant in itself, but there were two drawbacks: a large family with noisy kids was seated next to us, and the parents did nothing to keep the noise level reasonable. Also, the breeze cooled the food somewhat, so by eating in a leisurely fashion, the food was cold halfway through the meal. I won't eat outside there again, but I will continue to consider this my favorite restaurant in northern California.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free OptionsJA33Dined on 10/4/2014Everything about this restaurant was great, but what made it even better is there were so many Gluten Free options to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too pricy....FirstimerDined on 10/3/2014Food is just ok but it's way too pricy... So I won't go againSpecial Features:
- Beautiful setting, average foodSalesScottVIPDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant is beautiful. The food is average says it all. Go to the restaurant for the ambiance, but don't expect to be blown away by the food.Special Features:
- MagicalDiningfunDined on 10/3/2014My husband and I and another couple were in Capitola for the evening, and lucked upon Shadowbrook's advertisement. Our hotel recommended that we call for the taxi service they offer. Both were so enchanting and fun! The only negative was the fact that their dress code was not adhered to. We dressed according to their code for evening. Business casual to dressy. There were two couples that had been seated across from us. The men were wearing shorts, no collar shirts and had Ball Caps on the entire time they ate. That really took away from the elegance of the restaurant. Someone should have asked them to, at least, remove their caps while they were eating. I know this review will end up in file 13, but I just had to speak my mind.Special Features:
- Sorry we waited so long to returnPiperDined on 10/3/2014The last time I dined at Shadowbrook was my High School Junior Senior Prom. Let's just say that was sometime in the last millennium, and the decade started with a "7"....My wife and I decided to spend our 22nd wedding anniversary at Shadowbrook and were so pleased we did. The setting is even more quaint than we remember. The gardens are mature and fantastically maintained, and the views are spectacular. Food was outstanding both in presentation, and taste. How can a Caesar Salad be remarkable...well it was...and the Salmon was the best I have had in the US. I said the only time I had tasted Salmon as good was in Vancouver, B.C. The manager laughed and said, that's where your fish came from. We will be back and it won't take us 30 + years.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Our previous experience was phenomenal. This experience was disappointing. While our particular server did a great job, the other staff seemed undertrained, such as taking my bread plate before asking, lack of eye contact, and especially the front room hostess, when she checked us in she then asked to us to just go stand by the fish tank... where there were no chairs, left standing awkwardly in the middle of a room, waiting for a mysterious seater. The food (gnocchi and steak) was average, but nothing I would expect in a nice restaurant, which is what I was expecting or paying for. The restaurant per usual was beautiful. Love the trolly/elevator! The title says it all. Overall experience = disappointing.
- great place for romantic dinnerMikhailRDined on 10/1/2014I was dating with a girl here. It's a very cozy, relaxing and quite place with great views on the garden surrounding the restaurant and on the river. Waiters are very professional and friendly, no long waiting, but no excessive disturbing attention either - they show up exactly when you need them. Food is a bit on pricy side, but it's extremely tasty and portions are large (so don't take too much appetizers, otherwise you won't finish your main course). One more thing to add - they have old style funicular for the elevator. So don't use stairs when you go down, but rather enjoy ride in this amazing car.Special Features:
- An Outstanding ExperiencefovtoggleDined on 10/1/2014The Shadowbrook is an outstanding place to be. Not only do they offer great food and wine and top service, but also the location and setup is remarkable. Use their limo service! The old Dodge in cab style with the very nice driver make the highlight shine even brighter! Absolutely recommend the Shadowbrook to anyone in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionsMenlo1Dined on 9/30/2014Vintage taxi, funicular, beautiful setting, excellent staff, good wine list and food add up to a great place for a special occasion.Special Features: