Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
1750 Wharf Rd.
Capitola, CA 95010Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shadowbrook-capitola.com/
- Phone: 8314751511
- Hours of Operation:
Winter Dining Hours: Mon-Fri 5:00pm-8:45pm Sat 4:30pm-9:30pm Sun 4:30pm-8:45pm Winter Rockroom Bar Menu Available: Mon-Sat 4:00pm-10:00pm Sunday 2:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Kresge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Shadowbrook has an in-house pastry department for banquet, wedding, or special occasion needs. For more information please call Allyson at 831-475-1222.
- Private Party Facilities: Shadowbrook's four private dining rooms are the perfect location for evening special events, receptions, and weddings for groups of 10 to 100.
- Private Party Contact: Allyson 8314751222
- Entertainment: Live music in the Rock Room Lounge Friday and Saturday nights.
- Special Events: Mention to us that it is your birthday and receive a complimentary ice cream sundae.
A word from Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
In Capitola-by-the-Sea, beside lush Soquel Creek just before it empties into the Monterey bay, Shadowbrook is best reached by its own quaint, hillside 'cable car' or the meandering garden path alongside waterfalls, ferns and flowers. For over 60 years, Shadowbrook has been famous its for fine food, wine and liqueurs served in an atmosphere of Old World charm and grace. Now, better then ever, Shadowbrook is perfect for any special occasion...or for no occasion at all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola - Best Restaurants in Capitola ›
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola reviews from OpenTable diners
545 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (462)romantic (433)scenic view (418)fit for foodies (205)neighborhood gem (197)great for outdoor dining (182)notable wine list (155)good for groups (133)hot spot (76)kid-friendly (73)vibrant bar scene (68)great for brunch (59)great for lunch (45)late-night find (44)Show More
- Way, way overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Salad for two was good but small. Main course of scallops was good. Gizditch fruit pie for desert was "truck stop" quality, using frozen fruit and cardboard-type crust. It didn't look appetizing, and it didn't taste appetizing. Carpo's has superior food for 1/6 the cost. I won't be returning to Shadowbrook, ever.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Very romantic. Food is fabulous and server, Terra, was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014View, food, ambiance, and service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food expensive, Service Horrible !DineALotDined on 9/27/2014The ambiance of the restaurant is good - but that's about the only thing going for it. The food is fair, but expensive for what you get (for example - the prime rib is $35 but about the quality of what you'd get at a Sizzler). The service is horrible! Saw our waiter about 3 time over the course of 2 hours. I wanted to send my prime rib back, but couldn't find the waiter to save my life. This was our anniversary dinner - but the bad experience ruined the day! Never going back - and telling everyone I know not to go either, lest they ruin their evening as well!
- Special occasionFood4funDined on 9/27/2014The location is surprising and beautiful. The atmosphere made up for the crowded rooms, very close tables. Food was good, service was excellent. Great special occasion place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceJP1213Dined on 9/27/2014Our waiter was so knowledgeable about the menu and wine listings. He was so friendly and polite. This was my first time coming to the restaurant, so his customer service made a big impression on both of us. The food was excellent and the dessert was even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Arrived early had drinks and and appetizers at the bar. Ahi was a bit over cooked for my liking, but calamarie was tasty. Meal was excellent as was the dessert! Good service overall. Would return without doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerLesnSueDined on 9/26/2014Absolutely wonderful restaurant for any occasion. Especially for those who love outdoor views. Definitely 5 star dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a PleasureLiveTheDreamDined on 9/26/2014Shadowbrook has the best service around. Amazing food and beautiful scenery create a relaxing and high end evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honeymoon dinnermanorboy73Dined on 9/26/2014My wife and I were so happy we picked the Shadow Brook for our first night on our honeymoon. The scenery was breathtaking and we loved the ambiance. The service was excellent ands made us feel special. The food was impeccable and we are thoroughly satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceHomerclauseVIPDined on 9/25/2014Good dinner. Only thing was the famous artichoke soup had a burnt taste that night. Everything else was good.Special Features:
- Super Place with small portionsDonny4luvDined on 9/25/2014Bread is great. Appetizers are a bit smaller than expected. Service was very attentive. Main entrée was well presented and portions were just right. Beware of bringing more than one bottle of wine, there were six of us so I brought 2 bottles of our favorite wine. $20 corkage for the first bottle and $30.00 per bottle thereafter - a little steep in my opinion. The grounds are beautifulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A jewel indeed.TomTDined on 9/25/2014As always, the service, food and ambiance was impeccable. There were new items on the menu, which was nice. Their signature artichoke soup, however was off. Apparently they're experimenting with it, should get it back to the creamy version of the past.Special Features:
- Unique!LovebeingafoodieDined on 9/23/2014What other restaurant can you stroll down to thru beautiful lush gardens and then ride back up hill on an old fashioned cable car. You can also ride the cable car down to the restaurant and view the beautiful gardens thru the glass windows. This was a very romantic evening from beginning to end. You feel like you are in a rain forest and there is a lovely waterway amongst the foliage; very nice!. The outside patio dining is lit to enhance the ambiance and is so nice we walked down and took pics. The food was good and the service was attentive. Definitely make reservations; we were there on a Tuesday night and it was quite full.........we got a window seat I think because we reserved thru Open Table ahead of time. Thank you Open Table!Special Features:
- Dining adventureXOXODined on 9/23/2014Going here was an adventure. Lovely restaurant and delicious food. Top notch service. Will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2014A notable restaurant with great food prepared well. Probably not worth the exhorbitent price, but very classy. Great service. Ideal for special locations, especially in the summer months.Special Features:
- Great Place for a special occasion.randybincaDined on 9/22/2014This place was recommended by some friends so we went for our 29th anniversary. Food was very good! Pork prime rib on the Bone was probably the best piece of pork I've ever had.. Tender, juicy and very flavorful.. My wife had the Chicken, it was very good also.. The Jack Daniels Mud Pie was delicious..Special Features:
- Beautiful location, poor foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/21/2014The restaurant is one of the most beautiful I encountered. Service is good, but the food.... is mediocre at best.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014After not being at shadow brook fot years I wanted to impress my husband will a wonderful night out. Every thing was as I remembered except the food. My husband ordered the breaded streak and found it to be tough very little taste. My dinner was under cooked and l received two green vegetable s instead of potatoes. The staff was very understanding and tried to fix my dinner but we ended up very disappointed. Not a good impression for my husband'S first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointmentMoeZDined on 9/20/2014Was really looking forward to dinning at this place for the first time. The surroundings were great, but the food was not at the qaulity i would expect and lead to a disappointing night.Special Features:
- terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014very slow wait staff, wrong dish was brought to me, server did not check back till 30 minutes after meals were delivered. The restaurant is in a beautiful location, but restaurant comes off a bit kitchy.Special Features:
- vegetariansPaulDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I are mostly vegan so finding suitable dining options can be a challenge. Shadowbrook had a nice vegetarian section of their menu and items were clearly marked as vegan too. My was happy and enchanted so all is well! thank youSpecial Features:
- ShadowbrookshadowbrookfansDined on 9/20/2014We have been Shadowbrook fans since the 80's. We recently celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary with our family and it was fantastic! Our only minor disappointment was the artichoke soup recipe changed and is not as rich as before. Everything else exceeded our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a good timeLadyADined on 9/20/2014Love this restaurant got engaged here! Dinner reservations are a must. don't come here often cuz its really expensive maybe once or twice a year. Overall ambiance is worth every penny, it's one of the most romantic spots I've ever been to by far. Bacon wrapped prawns and surf and turf speaks for itself. Spinach pecan salad is also a favorite. Had the guava martini and the strawberry vodka lemonade, tasted great but unfortunately felt no effects of alcohol what so ever. Next time I'll probably get a glass of wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedahill03Dined on 9/20/2014It was my first time to Shadowbrook. We went there because my husband and daughter had eaten there before and really enjoyed it. We were there to celebrate my daughter's birthday. The night started out well with drinks and an appetizer of bacon wrapped shrimp, followed by a ceasar salad. All of those were very good. Now the bad news. I got the filet brochetts, my husband got the lamb and my daughter ordered the scallops. My filet was chewy, as was my husband's lamb. The real problem came with my daughter's scallops. They were awful! One was so chewy and actually had sand in it! The waiter had the nerve to say that it was because they were fresh...huh?! We have eaten at many fine dining restuarants but we won't be coming back!
- One of our favortitesladyonthelakeDined on 9/20/2014We have celebrated our engagement and subsequent 18 anniversaries at Shadowbrook. This year we were seated in the garden room, at the window with a lovely view. Our only disappointment was that the recipe for their famed artichoke soup has been changed, it should now be called orgegano broth. There was no hint of artichoke taste in this watery presentation. Other than that, the food was superb, the service, impeccable.Special Features:
- 3rd AnniversaryMeadowsfeathers28Dined on 9/20/2014I took my girlfriend to Shadowbrook for our third anniversary. My first experience here was years ago when I was a little kid. I recalled getting a Roy Rogers and riding the funicular! I knew my gf would love this place in all its charm and especially the funicular, she loves quirky things and I knew riding the funicular would be a big highlight. She loved everything about the restaurant. She told me that Shadowbrook almost didn't have to have great food for everything else the experience was, however, the food was fantastic! The service was great, too. (New promotion) Go for a birthday or anniversary and they will provide (if asked) two tasty dark chocolate truffles! That also sealed the romantic deal for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sometimes good things dont changegrt4lvrsDined on 9/20/2014I was first introduced to the Shadowbrook when I was about 10 years of age and I have always appreciated the fact that it has been always been the same, FANTASTIC!Special Features:
- Must ExperienceTintbossDined on 9/19/2014There is nothing else like Shadow Brook, built in it's own unique fashion on the side of a cliff with a cool trolley car access. We have created many unforgettable memories here celebrating special occasions since 1977 and NEVER have been disappointed. The food, service, ambiance and history will bring you back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BoppDined on 9/19/2014Had not been there in 30 years. Was not disappointed. Truly a lovely place to go for a special event.Special Features:
- Another wonderful dinner experenceOutoftownersDined on 9/18/2014Shadowbrook Restaurant provided a wonderful dining experience - again. From the moment we arrived, the staff was professional, helpful and delightful. Our waiter provided great service with a wonderful smile. Drinks, baked brie and spectacular entrees made our night so special. The scallops were cooked to perfection and the prime rib was a favorite. We left Shadowbrook looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What it is all cracked up to beUpForAnAdventureDined on 9/17/20142nd time here won't be back in the future. Menu options are unique and different but not worth the prices they ask for. Very disappointed in the taste and quality of the food. Our waiter came by to check on us midway through the main course and asked, "how is the gnocchi! Delicious right." I said honestly I don't like it, the filet medallions are good but the truffle sauce is barely there, no flavor. He replied back, " oh?" Then walked away and only saw him at the end for our desert and then the check. I basically didn't agree with the quality of the good and the waiter did not put forth an effort in trying to fix my meal. Just like the knight in Indiana Jones last crusade, "Choose wisely." Your meal that is.Special Features:
- shadowbrookfan44Dined on 9/16/2014We wanted a romantic, quiet place to celebrate the day we met 43 years ago; the Shadowbrook was the perfect choice. The food was great (I will skip the artichoke soup in favor of the roasted tomato soup next time) and the service was superb (attentive without being obtrusive)! Beautiful grounds and interior. Make sure that you save room for dessert!Special Features:
- WonderfulTnt21Dined on 9/14/2014Great dining experience and all the food was fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatmaggieDined on 9/14/2014Love the Hillavator, food, ambience, and beautiful old redwood woodwork.Special Features:
- Beautiful ShadowbrooklifeisgoodDined on 9/13/2014Each time we come to Santa Cruz, we make a reservation for Shadowbrook. It's an event. The ambiance is unsurpassed. The service is exceptional. The food is delicious. The bar and lounge area are warm and welcoming combined with their great music entertainment...it's a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- AmazingLovingthebeachDined on 9/13/2014Wen for our anniversary and from the second we walked in ever worker we say treated us with happy anniversary. Food was great and service was good also. Made our anniversary one to rememberSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Open Table made reservations quick and easy. The restaurant was amazingly beautiful and the experience was magnificently unique. I highly recommend this place. The food is delectable and the staff have a great knowledge of wine pairings. The staff was also very honest about what food was best on the menu! We'll be back for sure!Special Features:
- S-brook, you're better than this!Pizzasof8Dined on 9/13/2014This was probably our 10th trip to the Shadowbrook over the past 10 years. Since it is several hours away, trips are reserved for special occasions. We booked the reservation in advance. We were shown to a stuffy room where the tables were packed so tightly that we couldn't even get seated at the table without crawling over some chairs (and we're a tall family, not a wide family.) The Hostess watched us struggle until I finally asked if we could be re-seated. My older parents were not going to be comfortable packed like sardines. Eventually, we were re-seated. It was embarrassing, because we had really talked up the Shadowbrook to our guests. Shadowbrook-- you're better than this!! Thankfully, the food and service was great!Special Features:
- Best food in a long timeDannyJoeDined on 9/13/2014This was my first time here--my son recomended it so I decided to go here for our 36th wedding anniversary and we were not dissapointed. The food was the best I have had in a long time. Everythgin was cooked to perfection.The wife and I plan to come back again when we"re in the areaSpecial Features: