Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
1750 Wharf Rd.
Capitola, CA 95010Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shadowbrook-capitola.com/
- Phone: 8314751511
- Hours of Operation:
Winter Dining Hours: Mon-Fri 5:00pm-8:45pm Sat 4:30pm-9:30pm Sun 4:30pm-8:45pm Winter Rockroom Bar Menu Available: Mon-Sat 4:00pm-10:00pm Sunday 2:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Kresge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Shadowbrook has an in-house pastry department for banquet, wedding, or special occasion needs. For more information please call Allyson at 831-475-1222.
- Private Party Facilities: Shadowbrook's four private dining rooms are the perfect location for evening special events, receptions, and weddings for groups of 10 to 100.
- Private Party Contact: Allyson 8314751222
- Entertainment: Live music in the Rock Room Lounge Friday and Saturday nights.
- Special Events: Mention to us that it is your birthday and receive a complimentary ice cream sundae.
A word from Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
In Capitola-by-the-Sea, beside lush Soquel Creek just before it empties into the Monterey bay, Shadowbrook is best reached by its own quaint, hillside 'cable car' or the meandering garden path alongside waterfalls, ferns and flowers. For over 60 years, Shadowbrook has been famous its for fine food, wine and liqueurs served in an atmosphere of Old World charm and grace. Now, better then ever, Shadowbrook is perfect for any special occasion...or for no occasion at all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola - Best Restaurants in Capitola ›
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola reviews from OpenTable diners
517 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (435)romantic (409)scenic view (396)fit for foodies (180)great for outdoor dining (173)neighborhood gem (157)notable wine list (130)good for groups (118)vibrant bar scene (69)kid-friendly (66)great for brunch (65)hot spot (62)great for lunch (45)late-night find (39)Show More
- A Romantic Night at the ShadowbrookOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014My girlfriend and I had an incredibly lovely evening! The food was excellent, as was the service and the ambiance. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014As always a wonderful experience. We love going to Shadowbrook. We brought friends this time who also enjoyed their first experience.Special Features:
- andrewAndrewDined on 8/23/2014We had an awesome waiter named Andrew, who gave us HONEST reviews of certain foods on the menu. We really appreciated his honesty and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice!RoniDined on 8/23/2014We really enjoyed our dinner and the vintage taxi ride to and from our bed and breakfast in Santa Cruz. Friendly service. The free salmon cake appetizers at the beginning of the meal was a special touch.Special Features:
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014I took my Boyfriend here to celebrate a special Birthday. The ambiance was romantic, the menu had a selection from Filet mignon, Shell fish, to the exotic meats. The Wine list was superb, and they even brought him a complimentary dessert. All in all we had a wonderful evening and it made his Birthday a special one. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BountyHunterDined on 8/23/2014The salmon, cod and steak were all delicious. Our waiter and the other staff were all very friendly and helpful. Our bus person (Javier) volunteered to take a group photo of our table and his photos came out perfectly. The setting of the restaurant is lush and beautiful. The cable car ride to the entrance is a fun surprise for guests who were not expecting it. One concern when we arrived was that both of the restaurant's parking lots were completely full when we arrived at 5:15 pm on a Saturday, but fortunately we found a free street spot a couple of blocks away. The only other concern was that the tables were packed-in pretty tightly in the dining room that we were in, so we felt a little squeezed. But overall we had a great time.Special Features:
- Shadowbook Restaurant hidden gem1RomanticDinnerDined on 8/23/2014Went this Saturday to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary. The staff went out of their way to make this a special experience for us. We had the grilled salmon with potatoes, spinach and tomato confite. So delicious. We had a window table with a view of water. They brought us 2 housemade chocolate truffles to celebrate. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old time favoriteSammyVIPDined on 8/23/2014I've been to this restaurant many times over the years and it is always a joy. It is large and can be touristy, but the view and ambiance is just wonderful. The food is solid old school, not fancy or pretentious, just very tasty and well done. Service is friendly and helpful. It can be very busy, book well ahead and enjoy the funicular ride to the front door!Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencessssDined on 8/23/2014The food and service was amazing. One of the best restaurants in the Bay Area and outer Bay area (ambiance, food and service). Excellent for special occasions.Special Features:
- my favorite restaurantbonbon949VIPDined on 8/22/2014As a child our family when to Shadowbrook for every special occasion. 20 years later I live far away in the Southern California and don't make it back too often. But every time I've visit it's still that that special place with amazing cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureDinner4twoDined on 8/22/2014I've enjoyed the Shadowbrook for years. The food is excellent and the wine list is one of the best in the Monterey Bay area. The service this time was rather slow. However, when the server arrived he was knowledgeable and efficient, but we had to pry the specials and preparations out of him. Over all it was another fun night at the Shadowbrook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Food was very good, Scotch Old Fashion was small, but very well done, service was remarkable for the size and complexity of the restaurant. Very enjoyable evening overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real treatgorgeVIPDined on 8/22/2014It was a special occasion and we are delighted to have picked this spot. Service was very good ambiance can't be beat and we all loved our food. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Constructive criticismOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I had not been to Shadowbrook for some time. I was most disappointed in my meal. I ordered the trout which is one of my favorite types of fish. It was by far the most thin trout I have ever been served. I looked at the display of the food. It had the crossed thin breaded fish. Underneath was a couple of onions and berries with purple potatoes, all mixed together. The only flavor was when you tasted one of the two small onion rings. I asked the waiter what might be the live greens. He said they forgot in the kitchen and brought me a small bowl of watercress. Did I mind dumping them on top? As the wife of a manager at Roy's in Pebble Beach, I thought you would want to know where to improve. I was not a good experience. Victoria
- Nice place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We really enjoyed our experience at Shadowbrook. I would highly recommend for a large group important occasion. The food was good but I was expecting a bit better. I wouldn't say it was kid friendly but certainly not anti-kid. It was really quiet in our dining room so felt a bit awkward. Probably a great place for a rehearsal dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My First Visitt4twoDined on 8/22/2014This was my first Shadowbrook experience. The ambience is outstanding and the service prompt and courteous. The food was tasty. However for the price I was surprised at how skimpy some of the servings were. Bread was one roll (how much can bread cost?). The string fries that were listed as a part of my entree turned out to be a mere decoration of very tiny fries sprinkled across the plate. Not worth the mention they got in the dinner description.....similar to saying "and we have a stunning spray of parsley to go along with your fish." I enjoyed seeing what Shadowbrook was all about. The setting is unbeatable, the food delicious, and judging from the many rounds of Happy Birthday sung that night this is the place to go for a special time!Special Features:
- Great Online findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014We were celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary. Brandy made us feel welcome and special. The resturant is beyond describing. You have t I see it ti believe it! The food is excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014I have visited this restaurant before with my daughters and love it The restaurant is fantastic the gardens are beautiful ...What else can u say about this fantastic restaurant. The food is to die for. First time with my husband and he can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They try hardOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/18/2014Have to say - the food was generally pretty good. They did try hard to correct errors and exceptions. I always explain my allergies - So when the ordered item arrives with unknown toppings - we need an explanation. They did take items back to the kitchen to verify that the allergies were not an issue. Wine list is a bit pricey - they do have a pretty good selection of bottles. All food had good flavor - reasonable portion sizes.Special Features:
- Beautiful scenic viewsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014This restaurant is like no other we have been to before. The trails that lead to the restaurant were fun to walk through. The trees, plants, and waterfalls made us feel like we were hiking and the elevator gave the restaurant a very special touch. However, in all honesty, we were not happy with the food's overall taste. Our meats, although tender, had no flavor. We were pretty upset about that considering the food did not reflect the restaurant as we wanted. The staff was incredibly attentive.Special Features:
- Always a treat!SantaCruzDined on 8/17/2014Terrific service... Great food. A favorite place to bring out of town guests. Tram makes it extra special. Grounds are beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful evening!Teatime2Dined on 8/17/2014We were so glad we waited in the bar until we were seated in a lovely part of this restaurant. The bar area was delightful and they made a great Moscow Mule in copper cups, reminiscent of having Pimms in England. My friend Janet and I were celebrating our birthdays, I had been there with my late husband, and Janet had last been there years ago with her Uncle. We ordered the best lobster we both had ever tasted, and were introduced to a Morgan Sauvignon Blanc, perfection. The waiter brought us two birthday desserts, a lovely surprise. We will be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mike is a great waiterYourGraceDined on 8/17/2014Our table absolutely loved Mike! The food was great the service was amazing the veiw was beautiful and the trolley was our favorite part! (: great last night in AmericaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/17/2014We have been coming here for a very long time and we have always had an enjoyable evening. The setting is beautiful, the food is always great and the wait staff very cordial.Special Features:
- Strange intervalMikeyD43Dined on 8/17/2014Dinner was going great. The cocktails were excellent. The appetizer was delicious. The salad was fresh and tasty. The wine was poured just before the entrees were to come out. Up to this point the timing had been perfect. Then an unexplained half hour wait. Our waitress apologized and offered free soup. I even went to the restroom which always seems to bring the food out, but even that didn't work. Our waitress was very apologetic, even comping the cocktails, but no explanation. We were in no hurry so the 2.5 hour dinner was no problem. Even guessing what had happened (chef stormed out, stove blew up) kept us somewhat occupied.Special Features:
- :::Perfection:::YummmDined on 8/16/2014Shadowbrook is one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. Arrive early to have time to walk the grounds outside the restaurant itself. The staff were all wonderful. Everything our table was served was quality and flavorful. We were visiting from Sonoma County, which is known for spoiling the locals' tastebud on incredible cuisine. Shadowbrook was a taste of home with the flare of Santa Cruz. Exceptional.Special Features:
- Disappointed..DavidDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I were very excited to take our relatives from Paris here as it is a unique Capitola landmark. We were seated 20 minutes after our reservation time and the staff didn't acknowledge this one bit. As a party of 8, we were seated in the small upstairs room among 4 other tables with only couples. It was eerily quiet and the room had no ambiance whatsoever. We sat for a solid 15 minutes at the awkwardly-placed table before any waitstaff acknowledged that we were even there. It took another 10 minutes to get bread and we had to remind someone for it. Overall, it felt like we were shoved in a corner and forgotten about. Dinner was over $500 and the inattentiveness of the staff overshadowed the flavor of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time but not the last.dustyluvDined on 8/16/2014My mom and I were in town for a special get-away. We have always wanted to go the Shadowbrook but it never worked out. We are very pleased with everything about this restaurant. From the ambience to the food, we enjoyed it to the fullest. We will be back.Special Features:
- pretty good overallSujiDined on 8/16/2014Just one thing I'd like to mention was I was seated in a seat that was kind of tight and in a room that was was for a group of families including kids. I found a seat with more space in a quieter room, and had to ask to change seats. They accepted my request and changed the seats. But I thought i didn't have to go all through that if they gave me the better seat from the beginning. And the ravioli wasn't as good as other dishes I tried there. So, I'll get something else next time. Normally fish were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedParticularDined on 8/15/2014When I made the reservation I told them it was for an anniversary celebration and asked for a good table. When we arrived they acknowledged the anniversary and then sat us at a table near a service station and felt like we were in a hallway. My wife's meal was very good. Mine was fair at best. Lamb was poor quality and dry but drenched in a sauce that wasn't worth the calories. The most disappointing part was the service which was way too fast. Our appetizer came out within minuets of our placing the order and our entrees came to the table just as we were finishing the appetizers. We could have been in and out in 45 minuets! Not the pace for fine dining or a romantic evening.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceukegirlDined on 8/15/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants, from the lush garden setting to the delicious food and class A service. I'm gluten free and I had no problem with finding tasty dishes such as smoked Gouda potatoes au gratin and an incredible ragout. The steak dishes were very tender and cooked to perfection. The scallops got 2 thumbs up as did the ravioli. My suggestion to Shadowbrook...don't change a thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014Great restaurant for a family. The children's menu is one of the best I've seen (and reasonably priced).Special Features:
- Must-do!Di4winenfoodDined on 8/14/2014I am certain that people in a 25 mike radius know and visit Shadowbrook so I'm talking to tourists. If you are within 50 miles of Shadowbrook, get your reservations made. The setting is unlike ANYTHING else you will ever see, and the food and wine are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful beyond belief!DarleneVIPDined on 8/13/2014The food here is excellent. The ambiance is a treasure. Try to reserve a t Able with a view. Do not miss the trolley car down to the restaurant or take the walk down through the beautiful gardens. This is a restaurant not to be missed.Special Features:
- Night OutDaveDined on 8/13/2014We always return for special occasions and out of town guests. The drive from Carmel never hinders our desire to return. My wife came with her father when it opened. Her father opened the first successful fine dining restaurant on Cannery Row.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful view, little portionsvegetarianloverDined on 8/13/2014This is a gorgeous, romantic restaurant that gives you excellent service, but they hardly give you any food. The portions are VERY small. If you want to dine with a beautiful view and aren't that hungry then this is a great place to go. I have been to Shadowbrook several times and have always had a good experience, but since I have become vegetarian my experience has changed. They need to improve their vegetarian menu greatly. They have excellent steaks but their vegetarian food is not good. If you are vegetarian, I suggest just ordering a salad and then ordering a pizza off the bar menu. The 3 items on the vegetarian menu right now are not good. I hope they change their vegetarian menu so when I go back they have delicious veg. food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebration made specialNonameDined on 8/13/2014Celebrated my mother's 79th birthday with a fabulous dinner which will be talked about for a long time. Staff was exceptional, special thanks to Jaxier (our table cleaner) and to Mathew our waiter on this very special night. Impresses with atmosphere and herb garden. Happy to be seated with a window view.Special Features:
- Nice viewwillDined on 8/12/2014This restaurant is near Santa Cruz and has lovely settings, you can take a small trolley to go down and it's very romantic. The food is very good and with all the lights it creates a wonderful place for a dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Husband's 50 birthday celebrationEKL1Dined on 8/12/2014We recently moved to Capitola and we heard great things about Shadowbrook restaurant. I decided to surprise my husband and our three children with his 50th birthday dinner. We were given a wonderful table next to the river because it was a special occasion. The person who served us bread and water was excellent.......super friendly and conscientious. He wished my husband a happy birthday. Our server was knowledgeable about the menu, but he disappeared halfway through our meal. We sat there for a long time waiting for someone to check on us (wrap up our entrees) and take our orders for dessert. Our children were getting tired, so we got our check and left. Table view - great, food - okay, service - spotty, & no birthday sundae.Special Features:
- Ambient, elegantCaroleDined on 8/12/2014Our table overlooked the creek. It was lovely. Blackened lamb was elegant and my husbands prime rib was delicious!Special Features: