Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
1750 Wharf Rd.
Capitola, CA 95010Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shadowbrook-capitola.com/
- Phone: 8314751511
- Hours of Operation:
Winter Dining Hours: Mon-Fri 5:00pm-8:45pm Sat 4:30pm-9:30pm Sun 4:30pm-8:45pm Winter Rockroom Bar Menu Available: Mon-Sat 4:00pm-10:00pm Sunday 2:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Kresge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Shadowbrook has an in-house pastry department for banquet, wedding, or special occasion needs. For more information please call Allyson at 831-475-1222.
- Private Party Facilities: Shadowbrook's four private dining rooms are the perfect location for evening special events, receptions, and weddings for groups of 10 to 100.
- Private Party Contact: Allyson 8314751222
- Entertainment: Live music in the Rock Room Lounge Friday and Saturday nights.
- Special Events: Mention to us that it is your birthday and receive a complimentary ice cream sundae.
A word from Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola
In Capitola-by-the-Sea, beside lush Soquel Creek just before it empties into the Monterey bay, Shadowbrook is best reached by its own quaint, hillside 'cable car' or the meandering garden path alongside waterfalls, ferns and flowers. For over 60 years, Shadowbrook has been famous its for fine food, wine and liqueurs served in an atmosphere of Old World charm and grace. Now, better then ever, Shadowbrook is perfect for any special occasion...or for no occasion at all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola - Best Restaurants in Capitola ›
Shadowbrook Restaurant Capitola reviews from OpenTable diners
526 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (442)romantic (417)scenic view (397)fit for foodies (192)great for outdoor dining (175)neighborhood gem (175)notable wine list (143)good for groups (121)vibrant bar scene (70)hot spot (68)kid-friendly (65)great for brunch (59)great for lunch (41)late-night find (37)Show More
- Must ExperienceTintbossDined on 9/19/2014There is nothing else like Shadow Brook, built in it's own unique fashion on the side of a cliff with a cool trolley car access. We have created many unforgettable memories here celebrating special occasions since 1977 and NEVER have been disappointed. The food, service, ambiance and history will bring you back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Had not been there in 30 years. Was not disappointed. Truly a lovely place to go for a special event.Special Features:
- Not What it is all cracked up to beOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/20142nd time here won't be back in the future. Menu options are unique and different but not worth the prices they ask for. Very disappointed in the taste and quality of the food. Our waiter came by to check on us midway through the main course and asked, "how is the gnocchi! Delicious right." I said honestly I don't like it, the filet medallions are good but the truffle sauce is barely there, no flavor. He replied back, " oh?" Then walked away and only saw him at the end for our desert and then the check. I basically didn't agree with the quality of the good and the waiter did not put forth an effort in trying to fix my meal. Just like the knight in Indiana Jones last crusade, "Choose wisely." Your meal that is.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014We wanted a romantic, quiet place to celebrate the day we met 43 years ago; the Shadowbrook was the perfect choice. The food was great (I will skip the artichoke soup in favor of the roasted tomato soup next time) and the service was superb (attentive without being obtrusive)! Beautiful grounds and interior. Make sure that you save room for dessert!Special Features:
- WonderfulTnt21Dined on 9/14/2014Great dining experience and all the food was fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatmaggieDined on 9/14/2014Love the Hillavator, food, ambience, and beautiful old redwood woodwork.Special Features:
- Beautiful ShadowbrooklifeisgoodDined on 9/13/2014Each time we come to Santa Cruz, we make a reservation for Shadowbrook. It's an event. The ambiance is unsurpassed. The service is exceptional. The food is delicious. The bar and lounge area are warm and welcoming combined with their great music entertainment...it's a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- AmazingLovingthebeachDined on 9/13/2014Wen for our anniversary and from the second we walked in ever worker we say treated us with happy anniversary. Food was great and service was good also. Made our anniversary one to rememberSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Open Table made reservations quick and easy. The restaurant was amazingly beautiful and the experience was magnificently unique. I highly recommend this place. The food is delectable and the staff have a great knowledge of wine pairings. The staff was also very honest about what food was best on the menu! We'll be back for sure!Special Features:
- S-brook, you're better than this!Pizzasof8Dined on 9/13/2014This was probably our 10th trip to the Shadowbrook over the past 10 years. Since it is several hours away, trips are reserved for special occasions. We booked the reservation in advance. We were shown to a stuffy room where the tables were packed so tightly that we couldn't even get seated at the table without crawling over some chairs (and we're a tall family, not a wide family.) The Hostess watched us struggle until I finally asked if we could be re-seated. My older parents were not going to be comfortable packed like sardines. Eventually, we were re-seated. It was embarrassing, because we had really talked up the Shadowbrook to our guests. Shadowbrook-- you're better than this!! Thankfully, the food and service was great!Special Features:
- Best food in a long timeDannyJoeDined on 9/13/2014This was my first time here--my son recomended it so I decided to go here for our 36th wedding anniversary and we were not dissapointed. The food was the best I have had in a long time. Everythgin was cooked to perfection.The wife and I plan to come back again when we"re in the areaSpecial Features:
- Perfect DinnerShumbleDined on 9/13/2014Amazing service, professional waiters, food is beyond delicious, scenery and atmosphere are perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic RestaurantScenicRestaurantDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I have celebrated our anniversary at Shadowbrook a couple times and both experiences have exceeded our expectations. The ambiance is beautiful. I love all the plants and the scenery surrounding the restaurant and the wait staff is very competent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Night!!BTruDined on 9/13/2014I loved Shadowbrook and can't wait to go back. Everything from the trolley ride down, sitting at the bar, wonderful table, great service and food! It was a lot of fun and I was very pleased with everything!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Redwood roomwayway52Dined on 9/13/20141st time in the Redwood room. Nice! 6 tables and then a view out into the garden patio area. Took the gondola down to the restaurant which is always fun! Food was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit once...for drinksunderwhelmedVIPDined on 9/12/2014Ok, so it's a really neat place, wonderful history, neat rooms. But don't expect the food to be anywhere near what it once was or by the prices.
- A Failyland atmosphereLuvThisPlaceDined on 9/12/2014We had made Open Table reservations and were not disappointed in the atmosphere, ambiance, and fairyland-like decor of the main bar room. The waitress was very attentive to us and made sure we were taken care of and notified when our table was ready.My order of scallops and spinach was excellent but the food temperature was not as hot as I like. One scallop was very small and did not look appetizing at all so I called for the waiter and he immediately sent someone over to replace it. Overall, we enjoyed our evening at Shadow Brook immensely and were giddy to have been picked up and taken back to our hotel by the 1950 Dodge sedan they have as a complementary shuttle to and from the restaurant. A very nice night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lorijoanDined on 9/10/2014Shadowbrook has been a family favorite for many years. We used to come with our parents. Now that they are gone, it is a great place to talk about old memories. The food is still as good as ever, maybe even better.Special Features:
- FoodPepperVIPDined on 9/9/2014The food and service was wonderful. Having a car pick you up from your hotel is such a nice service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bobcathDined on 9/9/2014Great dining experience, have been to this restraunt many times even though it is quite far from our home, and requires us to spend a night in Capitola, is is a excellent place for a special occasion or to take friends for an upscale dining experience.Special Features:
- First visitDeanDined on 9/9/2014Surely there are rave reviews. They're all true. Go there, but be prepared to spend a lot.Special Features:
- Top Notch Meal and ServiceKathleenDined on 9/8/2014Great place to celebrate a special occasion...excellent food, service & ambiance.Special Features:
- Excellent for Special OccasionBellyfullDined on 9/7/2014This was the choice for my wife's birthday and it was absolutely worth the money. The service was great and the food even better. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves being served and fed well.Special Features:
- Wine ListCookieDined on 9/7/2014Tried to order a bottle of mid-priced wine from the Syrah section. Two selections were out of stock. Tried to order from Zinfandel section. Again first selection , then second selection out of stock. Dinner was served and finally fifth choice was served. Waitress was exhausted from running back and forth, but smiling. The wine selection is not large, one would think the Shadowbrook could keep track of inventory so as not to run out. It was time consuming and frustrating to keep making new selections with the wait person having to interupt the table numerous times. Never again.Special Features:
- serviceBdiningDined on 9/6/2014The service was great. Our server was able to offer us details of the dishes and recommendations that seemed genuine. We loved both of your fish dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not like it used to beDarlaDined on 9/6/2014It has been YEARS since I have been to Shadowbrook. The service was then and is now wonderful. The food was very good, not as good as I remember. It used to be a big deal, special occasion spot, not now. We had a reservation at 7:45. We came in at around 7:00 to have a cocktail in the bar before dinner. No place to sit. It was packed. They gave us one of those blinky light things like at cheesecake factory. We ended up standing around outside till our table was ready. We sat in the redwood room against a blank wall with two large (energetic) parties in the room. We would have asked for a new table but didn't want to go stand outside again to wait. Overall disappointment, wont be back. For the money, there are better options.Special Features:
- 25th Anniversaryon1whelDined on 9/6/2014Proposed there 25 years ago, was just as great then as it was on our 25th anniversary.Special Features:
- FABULOUSdeadfishregularDined on 9/6/2014My husband brought me here for my 60th birthday. The place is beautiful. The service was great and the food was outstanding. Can't wait to come back again.Special Features:
- SSSunnySkyesDined on 9/6/2014This was not only a fine dining experience, it was a fine living experience. I felt very lucky to be there. Thank you for everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fingersDined on 9/5/2014Good food in a nice atmosphere with great service. Seating was available in many different types of settings, fireplace, river front, out doors and on different levels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingStuHDined on 9/4/2014Simply outstanding from bar to meal. You get quality service and quality food, a lot of food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So pleased!DelisciousDined on 9/3/2014We were so pleased with our experience at the Shadowbrook restaurant. The whole staff treated us like royalty! We were seating at a window table overlooking a courtyard and the river. The food was outstanding, and our waitress' kind recommendations led to a great culinary experience.Special Features:
- MemoriesDebbieFanVIPDined on 9/3/2014Hadn't been to his restaurant since I was a child. It's still as enchanting as I remember ! The food was wonderful and the service was perfect. We ate early, so the place was not filled up yet, so it was relatively quiet. We had a little of everything, starting with baked brie and shrimp wrapped in bacon. I had filet mignon that almost melted in my mouth along with potatoes au gratin. My friends had prime rib, which wouldn't have been my choice, but to each his own. Have prime rib at "The House of Prime Rib" in SF, not at Shadowbrook. We tried two different desserts and enjoyed them both. What a great place to celebrate, get engaged, have a romantic date or just treat yourself to a special evening. It is a little pricey.Special Features:
- ShadowBrookkthtDined on 9/2/2014If you never been this place "ShadowBrook restaurant" you got to come to check it out, they have good food, I had the lobster tails and my wife had prime rib, both came out perfect, love it but little bit pricey, and I have a window view table, it has a nice view and I like it very much and will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasion placeScotDined on 9/1/2014The place feels special from the moment you start down the stairs or take their special cable car down the hill to the restaurant. You enter into a great bar area, and then dining is on one of the 3 (or is it 4) levels of quiet seating. Great atmosphere, very nice and efficient wait staff, fairly impressive wine list, acceptable corkage policy of $20/bttl or $30/magnum (but make sure you aren't bringing a wine that is on their list - they are very specific about that). A reasonable number of food choices, especially fish, that is competently prepared. The side dishes are tiny (was expecting the Morton's or Ruth's Chris size portions for the whole table). A nice selection of desserts. Lots of special occasions celebrating here.Special Features:
- Fantastic Place!DisappointedDined on 9/1/2014This is a must experience. Definitely worth the drive from the Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything Good But SidesAlmostGreatDined on 8/31/2014Salads were excellent; meat and fish were very good; but sides were mediocre.Special Features:
- We wish it had been better.ElbeckDined on 8/31/2014This was a very expensive, less than ordinary meal. Our waitress was wonderful and the setting is truly magical...but the food...just wasn't worth it. We had very high expectations and years ago ( 20 +) those expectations were met and surpassed. Celebrating it's 67th year in business...looks as though they may need to step it up to stay around for another 67 years. We will go back for dessert and a drink...because of the ambiance. Dinner just wasn't worth it.Special Features:
- Amazing!SuzeeqDined on 8/30/2014I have been coming here for almost 35 years whenever I'm in the area. The ambiance is incredible and the food exquisite. I've always come with family and friends but Saturday night was with a date. It was so romantic and the ride in the cab "Brooke" was the icing on the cake. It was a magical night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinner by fireplace!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014We had a wonderful anniversary dinner! The table was perfect -- sitting in an alcove by a fire with a portion of the roof above of us done in glass allowing us to see the night fall definitely added to the romance factor. The food was delicious and paired well with the wine. The service was excellent -- friendly and efficient, but not overly chatty or intrusive. We have been to Shadowbrook twice -- once for last year's anniversary and again this year. It's well worth the drive and we foresee it becoming a regular tradition!Special Features: