Shades Restaurant & Bar
21100 Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, CA 92648Neighborhood:
Huntington Beach / Seal Beach / Fountain Valley
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Shades Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterfrontresort.com/
- Phone: 7148458444x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 6:30am - 11am Sunday: 6:30am - 10am. Brunch: Sunday: 11am - 3pm. Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11am - 3pm. Dinner: 5pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ben LaFleche
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Call 714-845-8420 for all your catering needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you are looking to grab a quick bite or spend the evening overlooking the ocean, we will cater to your every whim. With something for everyone, our culinary options and unique libations at Shades Restaurant & Bar and Shades PM have it all.
- Private Party Contact: Vanessa Rockafellow 7148458420x
- Entertainment: Along with our magician at Sunday brunch, Shades offers a variety of musical entertainment and specialty nights depending on the season. Please inquire for details.
A word from Shades Restaurant & Bar
•Shades Restaurant at The Waterfront Beach Resort, a Hilton Hotel is your restaurant for all occasions. Overlooking the Pacific Ocean with a breathtaking view, you can transport yourself into a whole different world. Shades is everything from a fine dining experience, appetizers and cocktails around our fire pit, to a venue for private and semi-private party functions. Culinary masterpieces are created daily at the accomplished hands of our award-winning Chef, Ben LaFleche. The always popular Champagne Brunch is available every Sunday from 11:30 am to 3 pm where you will enjoy one of Orange Counties widest varieties of food and free flowing champagne. Once you've tried the ambiance, the food and selections from our award winning wine list; we know you will come back again and again.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shades Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (9)great for brunch (3)neighborhood gem (3)romantic (3)good for groups (3)fit for foodies (2)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Where's the Fish?TibiVIPDined on 10/17/2014After reading some blogs on the better fish restaurants in Orange County we decided to give Shades a try. A disappointed try. Only 2 fish dishes: barramundi (dry, over cooked) and salmon w rub (didn't try). The side Mac n Cheese was bland until we asked for & added some Parmesan (then still bland). The salad with apples and bleu cheese was fresh & delicious. The ambience was great; fire tables going with live guitar facing Pacific Ocean. I'd stick to bar/burgers outdoors next time. Wine way overpriced, but a good selection by the bottle.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Shades was a wonderful setting for our special dinner. The food,service, and setting were wonderful. The sunset dining was great outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The food was good however the Steaks were not as good as we expectedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OK -- live music was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014The service was not very good. Our drinks sat empty for long periods of time, the server did not seem to know the dishes very well & simply repeated what was stated on the menu when we had questions. My husband did not like his food, but the server never came back to check, so we asked a busser to help us instead. My husband ordered the bison burger the second time and loved it. The manager was very friendly and helpful and came by to check to see how he liked the second dish and refilled our drinks. My dish was the vegetarian pasta -- just OK and certainly not worth the price. The ambiance outside is very nice, and the view is nice (not spectacular), and we loved the live music. We would not choose to come back here again.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable lunch.GfoodieDined on 6/24/2014I had a wonderful lunch with a very dear friend that I don't get to see often. We never felt pressure to order or to leave after we finished our meal. We sat on the patio and the view is beautiful. The food was absolutely delicious. I would recommend Shades to everyone.Special Features:
- Great outside dinning.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/23/2014Great outside dinning & pet friendly. Feels like you are in HawaiiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 181 reviews are from the Shades Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Excellent!Oceanwaves13VIPDined on 5/6/2014Excellent food and service! Enjoyed the delicious mac 'n' cheese dish, the Cuban sandwich, and the steak! Thank you for the beautiful ocean-view table that you seated us at, and for acknowledging a birthday with a yummy chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambienceEthanGTDined on 3/17/2014Bar scene got a bit noisy, which I thought was fun, not disruptive (and this was on a Monday no less). And the outdoor firepit area was a perfect escape to finish our bottle of wine and relax after dinner. Great date spot, highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch was terrible!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014When we arrived we decided to have lunch at Shades. There are several great restaurants in the area but we had just valeted the car and did not want to get it again. We ordered the turkey club sandwich and a caesar salad. The caesar had absolutely no flavor at all! The worse salad I ever had at a restaurant. The sandwich had some sort of onion jam which was way too sweet we had to scrape it off the sandwich. Boy do we wish we had gone out!!!Special Features:
- Ocean view restaurantFabulousVIPDined on 2/9/2014We were staying at the Hilton Resort where this restaurant is located. It was a very enjoyable brunch but I wish they had an omelet station instead of having to let the server know what we wanted. But all in all it was pretty good. The hotel was excellent.Special Features:
- nice patio lunchlkcguamVIPDined on 1/16/2014we were surprised at the quality and flair of the food.lovely salad with grill prawns and a fresh herbal vinaigrette, plus an array of appealing sandwiches made the menu interesting. The iced tea was my favorite tropical and served appealingly and replenished often. Would have had dessert if we had room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio is a very enjoyable21stbdayDined on 1/13/2014Patio is a very enjoyable setting. Waiter did a great job. It was a beautiful day and the view of the ocean was amazing. We have celebrated my daughter's birthday a few times at the restaurant. The food is just ok but the setting and the service made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a zeroOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/12/201450 a person for brunch is a rip off. Came with a group of 5, we were very disappointed with the selection of food. Especially the Alaskan king crab legs, they were frozen still wet and taste like rubber. You can't taste anything crabby about it. The leg of lamb was aweful and dry, the breakfast food wasn't so good. I have been here several times in the past, and either the new manager isn't doing it right or it's just they have went down hill
- Disappointingfoodie4funDined on 12/19/2013The staff stood around visiting rather than seating us when we arrived. They did not honor our seating request and instead squeezed 3 of us at a table for 2. Service was poor. We were ignored while they attended to a large group. Food was mediocore. The fruit they served as a side was so under ripe you couldn't even cut it with a knife. Presentation was poor. The price far exceeded the quality of the food and service. Will not be visiting this restaurant again.
- Wonderful for an evening out,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/18/2013Wonderful for an evening out, especially for a special occasion. The food is very good and the service is nice. I got the short rib pot roast and it was delicious! I do suggest you bring a sweater. It is always cool in the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great timeChuckDined on 9/29/2013Was looking for a new place to go for a birthday dinner party of 8 . It was easy to get in and the food and service was outstanding , I would recommend this place to anyone .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2013Great spot for lunch!!! We live in a resort area, so we should take advantage of all HB has to offer. The food , the service and the ambience are hard to beat The crab cakes are some of the best I have ever had and the graham cracker ice cream is just delicious. I had lunch there two days in a row. I enjoyed taking locals to a new spot for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic brunch!HappyTustinDinerDined on 7/21/2013My wife and I celebrated our anniversary with Sunday Brunch and thoroughly enjoyed the food, champagne, music, and top notch service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2013Great variety of foods in a very relaxed atmosphere out on the patio overlooking the Pacific Ocean. A little pricey compared to other brunch spots, but the other places don't have that view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ocean view diningpll21Dined on 7/14/2013Went with a group for the first time for Sunday brunch and the food and atmosphere was great.Special Features:
- ReunionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/26/2013This was a reunion with former employees. We enjoyed it very much.Special Features:
- Like being on a Tropical VacationJustTheFactsDined on 6/13/2013Sitting outside you would NEVER know you are in So Cal right on PCH. Feels like your are in the Caribbean or Hawaii. Sitting outside with the live music, fire pit and great food was awesome. Service was great and friendly, food came fast, great variety of choices and served to make any foodie happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A local surpriseBabbers1964Dined on 5/12/2013We are local HB-ers and didn't know this place existed until we tried and failed to get into our favorite restaurant, they were booked solid so I actually did some research about other restaurants in our area and found Shades. I was pleasantly surprised at how good everything was. The view was very nice and we really liked the food and service. The only negative I guess would be that wet children from the pool area ran through our rather elegant dining room because they were staying in the hotel, it's a little distracting from your conversation and experience. Other than that, I would highly recommend this restaurant. I think it would be especially great for lunch, the outdoor area is really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprise!KbearDined on 5/3/2013Food was great, atmosphere was romantic and stylish, and service was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had brunch on a SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/17/2013We had brunch on a Sunday to celebrate a friend's birthday. There was live music and the performer sang happy birthday when the waiter laid the cake down and lit the candle. Sweet. The buffet had a variety of great food and a manned omlet station with roast beef carving. We love the restaurant and happily satiated.Special Features:
- This is favorite place forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/10/2013This is favorite place for Sunday brunch. The food is excellent with a beautiful view of the ocean. My husband and I travel extensively and find the service at Shades as well as the Hotel to be superb! Great for a special occasion.Special Features:
- OMGoodness it was lovely....perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013OMGoodness it was lovely....perfect for getting all the Ladies in the family together to catch up without the kids and plan future "FABulous Lunches". It really is a GEM in our own backyard! Shades was lovely.Special Features:
- perfect brunchscrapbookcathleenVIPDined on 2/10/2013Could not have asked for a more perfect brunch! Glad we found it! From desserts to a baron of beef and an omlette bar, it was doen so well.Special Features:
- Shades was expecting stormyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/2/2012Shades was expecting stormy weather so they moved the brunch to the Pacific room upstairs. The ambiance was not as good as the restaurant but they seated us at a table that gave us an ocean view. Excellent service and most of the food was very good!Special Features:
- Delightful spotbeachdinerDined on 9/29/2012We hosted a party of 10 for our 50th wedding anniversary dinner at The Shades . It was delightful. Food was excellent and service superb. We found the singer a bit loud because we were quite close. Nevertheless we loved the position of our table set-up chosen by the restaurant. It was a perfect evening. A guest said she'd also like to have her 50th there she enjoyed it so much.Special Features:
- Shades service was very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2012Shades service was very attentive and food selection outstanding making for a very enjoyable brunch. Everyone in our party raved about the brunch.Special Features:
- Everything was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/16/2012Everything was wonderful. Monique was the best server ever!!!Special Features:
- Great Food & Service. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/15/2012Great Food & Service. The view of the ocean was incredible.Special Features:
- The Sunday, Champagne brunchSusieQDined on 8/19/2012The Sunday, Champagne brunch is awesome. Great food, and great champagne.Special Features:
- Half-price on selected bottlesOHTravellerVIPDined on 8/6/2012Half-price on selected bottles on Monday nights. Pretty good deal!Special Features:
- Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2012A-MAZING BRUNCH!! Great view, spectacular service, ENDLESS mimosas . . yeah it was yummy (;Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoughtless Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/22/2012Boooo!!!! Not a Fan!!!! To celebrate my dad's 84th birthday, my family decided to take him to Sunday brunch at Shades located inside the Hilton Waterfront. At about 48$ a head (not including tip) it's not the cheapest buffet in town, but the quality and experience was more important to us, which simply has no price tag. As soon as we arrived at 1:00pm, valet was prompt and got us into the restaurant in record time. We had to wait an additional 10 minutes for our table but that was no problem since we took the opportunity to explore the grounds and snap some candid shots. Now here's where it all goes down hill fast! Although we were given nice seating and the self serve buffet was on par with my expectations, I was very disappointed w
- really pretty place and veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2012really pretty place and very helpful hotel staff; entrees all very good but the award-winning crab cakes were only averageSpecial Features:
- Went there for Fathers DayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2012Went there for Fathers Day brunch and the food and service was excelent. Great view overlooking pool area and the Pacific OceanSpecial Features:
- Chef is good and food is also,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012Chef is good and food is also, but more variety and seasonality would be appreciated. The peanut butter semifreddo is unexpectedly excellent. Creme Brulee really needs improvement. Hula show is a great addition. Indoor or outdoor setting can transport you back to the islands. Lots of funSpecial Features: