135 E. 92nd Street
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.sfogliarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 831-1402
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our cozy private dining room is situated atop the restaurant. The large farm table stands in the center of our reserve wine cellar and can accommodate parties of up to twelve guests.
- Private Party Contact: Natasha Foy 2128311402x
A word from Sfoglia
Sfoglia is a lovely little trattoria residing on an unassuming stretch of the Upper East Side, across the street from the 92nd Street Y. Farmhouse tables topped with the season's produce are the appropriate setting for Sfoglia's country Italian fare. The private dining room tucked away upstairs can seat an intimate party of twelve.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sfoglia reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (94)fit for foodies (87)romantic (43)special occasion (39)notable wine list (29)good for groups (18)great for lunch (10)hot spot (9)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Food is good, location even better!RJNJVIPDined on 11/16/2014Across the street from the 92nd Street Y, this restaurant is one of the few on a very cold night within walking distance that fits "middle of the road" dining, especially on a Sunday evening, which is when we were there. Attentive waitstaff and clearly a room mostly of regulars, it really caters to those who live in the neighborhood with the income to eat here. Pasta dishes in half portions range from 12 - 16; full portions up to 30, entrees range from mid 20s - mid 30s. That said, everything we had was well executed, and the pastas, even with half portions, were very filling. If I were to go to another event at the Y, I'd definitely consider it for dinner again, but would I travel uptown to go there? Not really -- but that's not a bad thing. Again, it's clearly a restaurant for the neighborhood, and for those who may go to certain events at the Y, and that's totally fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very pleasant experienceVRDaveDined on 11/16/2014A lovely spot for our family brunch, and no pressure to vacate the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SBNYCDined on 11/12/2014This restaurant was wonderful. The food was great and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!Melissa22205VIPDined on 11/11/2014The best chicken under a brick AND the best homemade pasta! A real winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, snobby sceneEastdinerDined on 11/11/2014The clientele is casual, affluent, snobby chic. The wait staff is condescending. I cannot believe the waiter cut off my friend mid sentence. he thought he was super too cool for school. The food is really good, though.Special Features:
- Repeat PerformanceBubblesDined on 11/5/2014A gem right near the 92nd St. Y in Manhattan. Always like to try something new when I go back. This time had the trout over wilted vegetables. Great portion could not even finish all and cooked to my liking. Sat at bar which you need a reservation for with a great group who interacted. My friend had pork chop which I must admit to nibbling on and that could be my next meal. I was concerned about being late, but the bar tender/server reassured me he had everything under control and he did. BubblesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great but table sharingdelraydinerDined on 11/5/2014THe three of us were seated at a large table with a woman and her young daughter at the other end. We were all expecting the worse, but the young girl was incredibly well behaved and quiet. If not, it would have been a disastrous evening despite the delicious food and excellent service. Two had the mussels and I had the pasta with butter, garlic and shrimp and everything tasted fantastic. The wines were interesting and quite good as well. Next time we will come with 8 people or I would request one of the separate tables just in case of a rowdy or loud group so close but we are definitely going bak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Sfoglia!EllenVIPDined on 11/4/2014the food is always delicious, though the choices are not that extensive. Sit in the front room if you want quieter conversation as the back room can be very noisy and the acoustics make it difficult to hear sometimes. Also, some of the "farm tables" are too deep to be comfortable for 4 people as the distance across the table is too far to make conversation easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dining Across from the "Y"BobiDined on 11/4/2014Excellent food and service. Or waitress, Dana, let us sample a few wines before ordering and took her time with us since this was our first visit to the restaurant. The pasta bolognese was fantastic as was the special trout dish. We will be back. It's directly across the street from the 92nd Street "Y". I wish we found it sooner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingberncVIPDined on 11/1/2014Service personable and top class. Food is real Italian. My family adored this place thanks to a winning combo of incredible food and such a wonderful team/staff behind it.Special Features:
- Mediocre food in a pleasant venueLofieDined on 10/29/2014It was a first visit for me and I found the menu remarkably uninspiring. The tomato sauce with Parpadelle was very good.the pork chop was more fitting for a steakhouse menu. Few choices of wine under $100 . Our waiter had an attitude but he was too young to have earned the right to have one. The bread pudding was half cooked and therefore half inedible. Nothing other than the hype suggested this was an Italian restaurant.
- a charm- gift to the neighbhoodboozybearDined on 10/28/2014Great food, service and atmosphere. I felt like I was in a cozy restaurant in Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemMNHIIVIPDined on 10/25/2014All that is meaningful to a wonderful dining experience comes together at Sfoglia. First the service is extraordinary. All are extremely welcoming, knowledgeable, and attentive. Second, the food is excellent. True, my husband and I have had one of the pastas every time we have gone b/c Sfoglia's pasta is always a standout, part of which entails a unique mix of ingredients as the "sauce" for the pasta. Third, the wine list is very good--although I would love a few wines in the $55 to $60 range. Fourth, the setting is just charming and not, in any way, pretentious.Special Features:
- Neighborhod GemFoodieVIPDined on 10/25/2014Our favorite neighborhood restaurant and worth a trip from outside the neighborhood. Convenient spot if you're going to a 92ndStY event. Amazing homemade pasta dishes-all outstanding! They are known for their bolognese sauce, rightly so, the best I've ever had, even better than in Bologna! The chicken is spectacular-slow cooked under a brick to tender and moist perfection. Great salads, assorted cheeses and cured meats,... Pleasant environment with very friendly and efficient service.Special Features:
- Good feelings.MajaDined on 10/25/2014Very good food. Very friendly and welcoming staff.our favorite place to go before concerts at the 92nd street y.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great visit!EnvoyBoyVIPDined on 10/24/2014Great food, service, cocktails and wines. Servings are huge. I can't even imagine what a full pasta serving would entail! You won't leave hungry. On top of that, the food and service were wonderful. Many fun pastas and the chicken was so moist. From arrival to departure, every employee was warm, welcoming and hospitable. Only slight negative is very few wines under $100/bottle. Bring your wallet! Will return.Special Features:
- reliably goodevelynVIPDined on 10/22/2014Aside from its excellent "chicken under a brick," which is probably its most popular dish, Sfoglia features a number of veggie-friendly appetizers and main courses including pan-grilled fish and a number of pasta entrees. And don't forget the wonderful sourdough bread. The outside room is convivial; the inside room is darker and more intimate. There are generally people at the bar, but it is not noisy. Service is solicitous. We go there every time we are on the upper East Side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic mealLove2eatDined on 10/20/2014One of the best meals that we have had in a long time... Including NYC , SF, and TuscanySpecial Features:
- dinnerlolabonnieDined on 10/19/2014Very good with a country feeling and warm and friendlySpecial Features:
- BuddyVIPDined on 10/17/2014Small & intimate describes this NY neighborhood gem. Limited menu depending on season & availability. Homemade pasta & excellent wine list round out this dining experience.Special Features:
- DisappointingdelightdiningDined on 10/15/2014It has been 3 years since we last dined at Sfoglia. No longer served were the wonderful, varied olives prior to the menu. Food was nicely prepared, but without anything distinguishing any of it. Rather disappointing for such expense. We had wanted a 6 o'clock time, and had to book 5:30. Several tables were empty until 6 pm. One remained empty when we left at 7:30.Special Features:
- Really nice findAnneSDined on 10/14/2014I enjoyed the food, service, nice little restaurant. Food was very good, the bread - from heaven - excellent. I'd do back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- tiny bistro, good food good servicenewyorker10021VIPDined on 10/13/2014All the entrees are fine 'though chicken is the highlight , followed by the bolognaise pasta. For a starter, order the mussels. Sfoglia is tiny; and you need a reservation. If you are going to the 92Y, this is where to eat.; the Y is across the street./Special Features:
- Wonderful experience every timeUptownGirlDined on 10/12/2014I've been to Sfoglia twice now, and each time I have had a lovely experience. The food is delicious, especially the bolognese, and the ambience is intimate and comfortable. Most importantly though, the staff is great, making everyone feel comfortable, answering questions well, and being personable and very enjoyable to dine with. I would recommend this to anyone looking for an intimate dinner with friends or loved ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingChiddlewackDined on 10/12/2014Sfoglia was the bright newcomer that has become complacent. The food is not as tasty as originally and hazelnut bruschetta is not typical of anything I've eaten in Italy and not really substantive antipasti. The pasta and the sides were disappointing but The roast chicken was absolutely fantastic..... If all the dishes had been to the same standard, this review would have been nothing but praise.....the waiter was also a little ineffectiveSpecial Features:
- molto beneucmyDined on 10/11/2014Great Italian food and I'm not talking about Pizza. We very much enjoyed the Italian-like atmosphere at this place and still Prices are not too high. Ciao! A presto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian on UESUESmomDined on 10/9/2014My husband and I come here for our special occasions. It is a great Italian restaurant with a romantic atmosphere. We have also come with a group of 4 and had a great experience. The food is spectacular and the ambiance is the best of the Upper East Side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on UESFritzDined on 10/5/2014Sfoglia is one of our go-to best in the City restaurants...great focused wine list, incredible pastas--and order the tart for desert. Rich flavors, great bread...and a not-rushed attitude make this one of the most comfortable and enjoyable places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouLouVIPDined on 9/28/2014Menu was very slim. Not very adaptable to food sensitivities.
- An old Favorite that never failsFoodieDined on 9/25/2014We have been going to Sfoglia for years and it is always an excellent experience in every way; great food, good service. Sfoglia truly cares about their customers and making sure they are pleased. Not too noisy so always can have good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the bread and desertOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014but the pasta was so so , was a little dissapointed the tomato sauce was a bit sweet for my tasteSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/23/2014Overall a good neighborhood restaurant , but nothing more , certainly if you live in the area it is convenientSpecial Features:
- Above and BeyondFoodieEBDined on 9/19/2014We have been to Sfoglia a few times and this past time we went for a special occasion and they did a fantastic job. The entire wait staff went out of their way on several occasions to make our date more memorable - including expert recommendations, a comped dessert and glass of our favorite red. The food is always fresh, unique and delicious and they have a great Rosso De Montalcino that I rarely see on a wine list. Truly divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two best meals in NYC to datePandorasbellDined on 9/12/2014I've been to Sfoglia twice in three years and the first time I went, I had the best dinner I'd ever had in NYC which is saying a lot considering how many restaurants I've tried. I literally lived a 1/2 block from the restaurant and never knew what was there because of the curtains in the windows. Best random dinner decision ever. Fast forward to last week, my dad came to visit and I really wanted to give him an upscale dinner experience and Sfoglia, once again, delivered gloriously. I forgot how beautiful the interior was. Between the five people at our table, we tried the fish, chicken, skirt steak and several pasta dishes. Not a complaint among us. Also, the service was above stellar and make sure you try a dessert!Special Features:
- Good Food, Too HotNewyorkerDined on 9/5/2014The food was prepared well but it must have been over 90 degrees in there. It was so hot I lost my appetite, which was a shame, the food was good.Special Features:
- Good Neighborhood RestaurantUESiderVIPDined on 8/31/2014Excellent pasta, good wine selection and fair portions. Don't miss if you're in the neighborhood and can get in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SfogliaYouLeft NantucketWeFoundUSkierDinerDined on 8/31/2014We Loved this place when it was on Nantucket...glad to be in Sfoglia again. My wife, daughter and I loved everything about it. Will be back soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- the website booked the wrong eveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014WE are coming in october and the website booked the wrong date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite neighborhood spotMrCEVIPDined on 8/22/2014I love it here. It's my favorite place to get Italian. Took a date and she was super impressed. Food is always amazing and the staff is top-notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Food was great - service was super nice and friendlySpecial Features: