135 E. 92nd Street
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.sfogliarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2128311402
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: Our cozy private dining room is situated atop the restaurant. The large farm table stands in the center of our reserve wine cellar and can accommodate parties of up to twelve guests.
- Private Party Contact: Natasha Foy 2128311402
A word from Sfoglia
Sfoglia is a lovely little trattoria residing on an unassuming stretch of the Upper East Side, across the street from the 92nd Street Y. Farmhouse tables topped with the season's produce are the appropriate setting for Sfoglia's country Italian fare. The private dining room tucked away upstairs can seat an intimate party of twelve.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sfoglia reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (66)fit for foodies (64)romantic (39)special occasion (35)notable wine list (23)good for groups (10)hot spot (7)great for lunch (7)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DisappointingdelightdiningDined on 10/15/2014It has been 3 years since we last dined at Sfoglia. No longer served were the wonderful, varied olives prior to the menu. Food was nicely prepared, but without anything distinguishing any of it. Rather disappointing for such expense. We had wanted a 6 o'clock time, and had to book 5:30. Several tables were empty until 6 pm. One remained empty when we left at 7:30.Special Features:
- Really nice findAnneSDined on 10/14/2014I enjoyed the food, service, nice little restaurant. Food was very good, the bread - from heaven - excellent. I'd do back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- tiny bistro, good food good servicenewyorker10021VIPDined on 10/13/2014All the entrees are fine 'though chicken is the highlight , followed by the bolognaise pasta. For a starter, order the mussels. Sfoglia is tiny; and you need a reservation. If you are going to the 92Y, this is where to eat.; the Y is across the street./Special Features:
- Wonderful experience every timeUptownGirlDined on 10/12/2014I've been to Sfoglia twice now, and each time I have had a lovely experience. The food is delicious, especially the bolognese, and the ambience is intimate and comfortable. Most importantly though, the staff is great, making everyone feel comfortable, answering questions well, and being personable and very enjoyable to dine with. I would recommend this to anyone looking for an intimate dinner with friends or loved ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingChiddlewackDined on 10/12/2014Sfoglia was the bright newcomer that has become complacent. The food is not as tasty as originally and hazelnut bruschetta is not typical of anything I've eaten in Italy and not really substantive antipasti. The pasta and the sides were disappointing but The roast chicken was absolutely fantastic..... If all the dishes had been to the same standard, this review would have been nothing but praise.....the waiter was also a little ineffectiveSpecial Features:
- molto beneucmyDined on 10/11/2014Great Italian food and I'm not talking about Pizza. We very much enjoyed the Italian-like atmosphere at this place and still Prices are not too high. Ciao! A presto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian on UESUESmomDined on 10/9/2014My husband and I come here for our special occasions. It is a great Italian restaurant with a romantic atmosphere. We have also come with a group of 4 and had a great experience. The food is spectacular and the ambiance is the best of the Upper East Side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on UESFritzDined on 10/5/2014Sfoglia is one of our go-to best in the City restaurants...great focused wine list, incredible pastas--and order the tart for desert. Rich flavors, great bread...and a not-rushed attitude make this one of the most comfortable and enjoyable places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouLouVIPDined on 9/28/2014Menu was very slim. Not very adaptable to food sensitivities.
- An old Favorite that never failsFoodieDined on 9/25/2014We have been going to Sfoglia for years and it is always an excellent experience in every way; great food, good service. Sfoglia truly cares about their customers and making sure they are pleased. Not too noisy so always can have good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the bread and desertOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014but the pasta was so so , was a little dissapointed the tomato sauce was a bit sweet for my tasteSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/23/2014Overall a good neighborhood restaurant , but nothing more , certainly if you live in the area it is convenientSpecial Features:
- Above and BeyondFoodieEBDined on 9/19/2014We have been to Sfoglia a few times and this past time we went for a special occasion and they did a fantastic job. The entire wait staff went out of their way on several occasions to make our date more memorable - including expert recommendations, a comped dessert and glass of our favorite red. The food is always fresh, unique and delicious and they have a great Rosso De Montalcino that I rarely see on a wine list. Truly divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two best meals in NYC to datePandorasbellDined on 9/12/2014I've been to Sfoglia twice in three years and the first time I went, I had the best dinner I'd ever had in NYC which is saying a lot considering how many restaurants I've tried. I literally lived a 1/2 block from the restaurant and never knew what was there because of the curtains in the windows. Best random dinner decision ever. Fast forward to last week, my dad came to visit and I really wanted to give him an upscale dinner experience and Sfoglia, once again, delivered gloriously. I forgot how beautiful the interior was. Between the five people at our table, we tried the fish, chicken, skirt steak and several pasta dishes. Not a complaint among us. Also, the service was above stellar and make sure you try a dessert!Special Features:
- Good Food, Too HotNewyorkerDined on 9/5/2014The food was prepared well but it must have been over 90 degrees in there. It was so hot I lost my appetite, which was a shame, the food was good.Special Features:
- Good Neighborhood RestaurantUESiderVIPDined on 8/31/2014Excellent pasta, good wine selection and fair portions. Don't miss if you're in the neighborhood and can get in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SfogliaYouLeft NantucketWeFoundUSkierDinerDined on 8/31/2014We Loved this place when it was on Nantucket...glad to be in Sfoglia again. My wife, daughter and I loved everything about it. Will be back soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- the website booked the wrong eveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014WE are coming in october and the website booked the wrong date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite neighborhood spotMrCEVIPDined on 8/22/2014I love it here. It's my favorite place to get Italian. Took a date and she was super impressed. Food is always amazing and the staff is top-notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Food was great - service was super nice and friendlySpecial Features:
- We loved our dinnerNYismyhomeDined on 8/14/2014This our new go to place. The antipasti and salads are great. The fresh bread had a delicious slight sour bread flavor that with olive oil made us feel we were insane fransisco. Our favorite entree was the pappardelle a la bolognese. The home made pasta was delectable and the sauce made us use our bread to sop up every drop!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited and unexciting menuToddsVIPDined on 8/13/2014We have tried Sfoglia several times. We always leave slightly disappointed due to a very limited and rather unexciting menu. Why can't they extend this. We also found the service rather 'pushy' and intermittent. The squid was over-cooked and the sauce made it stodgy and the pasta bolognese was very average. We will probably try again but there are plenty of other quality restaurants in the area.
- UES Italian gembellbiv13VIPDined on 8/12/2014This place is a tiny UES gem that consistently puts out great dishes in a romantic candlelit ambience.Special Features:
- Sfoglia never disappointsLisalucybDined on 8/2/2014Sfoglia is consistently delicious and has become one of my favorite restaurants in the city. My husband and I get into Manhattan 3 -4 times a year and this has become one of our favorite spots. From our first visit to our most recent this past Saturday night, we find the food delicious, cocktails and drink menu interesting, and service consistently warm and friendly without any pretention. My husband always gets the Sfoglia chicken because it is moist and flavorful with a nice crispy skin. I love their chicken but like to try different things so this past visit, I had the housemade fusilli with pesto and lemon ricotta. Delicious! I have had so many disappointing restaurant experiences recently so going to Sfolglia was a joy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive but great foodMisterPDined on 7/31/2014Small room but didn't seem crowded. Food was really outstanding. Service was also top notch. Wine list small but but high quality. All in all this place should not be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like ItalyLuLuDined on 7/30/2014New to Sfoglia, but delighted by the whole experience. Our server, Elisabetta, was helpful and charming. We are Italian, from Emilia, and it felt as if we were transported back. The salumi tasted like they do in Italy, my pasta was simple yet delicious and the chicken was everything it is known to be - moist, fresh and tasty with a hint of lemon and heat. We were not rushed and enjoyed two good hours of great food, wine and conversation.Special Features:
- Fine food dining in casual stylecasualexcellenceDined on 7/28/2014We enjoyed the quaint and relaxed atmosphere of this small Italian restaurant. The food was excellent - from the eggplant antipasto to the pasta main courses to the special order peach tarte dessert. A great place to go, especially as they change the menu regularly.Special Features:
- Friendliest service!SaraMageeDined on 7/26/2014I came to New York traveling alone, which when you have to eat out can be a very lonely and dull experience. When you walk into Sfoglia, there is a sign that asks that you refrain from using your cellphone. "Great," I thought, "this will be extra lonely and boring." I sat at the bar and was greeted with a warmth that was uncharacteristic of New York, but VERY characteristic of Italy. He talked to me all throughout my meal, recommended food (the black pasta with crab, the chicken, lemon tart) he recommended drinks, and even let me try some of his homemade lemoncello after dinner. The food was rave-worthy alone, the service, made me go back two nights in a row. Which I did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FavoriteDavidSDined on 7/25/2014Several visits to this local Italian treat - food is always excellent but would like to see a few new items on the menu. Pasta always fresh and always delicious.Special Features:
- Magnificent & CreativeDisgustedVIPDined on 7/24/2014Sfoglia never ever disappoints. The thoughtfulness and creativity of the menu, the wine selection, and the service can always be counted. And the pastas re-define the word spectacular every time we come.Special Features:
- Wonderful innovative rustic ItalianRavensburggeistVIPDined on 7/18/2014So refreshing to try some new flavorings and innovative Italian farm dishes not usually found on other Itslian menus. I loved my experience here. Not for everyone as the menu is smaller than most restaurants but the chef prepared each and every dish with utmost care and pride. Each dish is delicious and flavorful. I can't wait to return to try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbianceanatDined on 7/12/2014this is the second time I go to Sfoglia, everything was exceptionally good except for the ambience. They have 2 areas, one facing the street which is amazing and another area in the back of the restaurant. The later is too dark, no windows, I would recommend to call the restaurant and ask for a table in the front if you prefer to have more light and windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in NYMrCEVIPDined on 7/5/2014I am lucky enough to live close by. It's a wonderful neighborhood spot. I highly reccommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewerVIPDined on 7/5/2014Second time there. great menu, great food, great atmosphere. Very good drinks, reasonable wine. Server had somewhat of an attitude.
- Very good food, great serviceDudeVIPDined on 6/26/2014A menu that offered many choices. Great wines by the glass with a terrific sommelier. Comfortable, welcoming but a bit noisy. Overall a treat.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014was terrific ten years ago; has improved with age. barbara kerstetterSpecial Features:
- Great meal againshellyDined on 6/24/2014When we are in the city we try to come here for a meal.. Never disappointing tho $14 for a glass of house wine was a bit steep..Special Features:
- The following 531 reviews are from the Sfoglia reviews archive.
- Terrible Food and Over PricedTryingNewThingsDined on 6/21/2014I'm Italian and really appreciate good Italian food. We looked up reviews online and booked a reservation for 5:30. We arrived at the restaurant 7 minutes early and the hostess specifically came outside to rudely tell us they weren't open yet! I read that the bread was outstanding but ours was almost too burnt to eat. I have made homemade rustic Italian bread and my aunts from Italy serve it and this bread was more sourdough than Italian. The red sauce was overly spicy and just not pleasant at all. I had the bolognese sauce and it was better than the red sauce but not great. Their homemade pasta was good but my husband had the gnocchi and it was too small and soft. The prices were high and not worth it! I don't recommend this place!
- a Disappointing eveningKCB2ACKDined on 6/17/2014I have been to Sfoglia many times over the years, starting with Nantucket. It has always been great. Tuesday evening, 6/17 was just abominable. One was nasty, arrogant, and obnoxious. He would not split the salad for 2, he came and interrupted our conversation to announce the "specials never said," excuse me, or may I tell you about the specials this evening?" When waiter #2 came to serve the entrees, he said he "forgot" to place my order for salmon. Since one of our friends had also ordered the same entree, he split hers in half, and then when the second was ready, split that in 1/2 also, what a ridiculous dining experience. One which we won't repeat any time soon.
- Recommended but over rated!Turning60Dined on 6/5/2014We were four women who came to this restaurant after a recommendation from a family member. It is over priced and we were not that pleased with the service. It seemed that there was only one waitress and even though it is a small venue, we were left to our own devices throughout the night. We had the fish special, the chicken and the salmon as our main dishes, and they were delicious. However, the sides that came with the meal were very bitter greens that were quite unpleasant. All in all, I have had a much more pleasant dining experience at these prices in other restaurants. Would not come back to this restaurant.Special Features: