135 E. 92nd Street
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.sfogliarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2128311402
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: Our cozy private dining room is situated atop the restaurant. The large farm table stands in the center of our reserve wine cellar and can accommodate parties of up to twelve guests.
- Private Party Contact: Natasha Foy 2128311402
A word from Sfoglia
Sfoglia is a lovely little trattoria residing on an unassuming stretch of the Upper East Side, across the street from the 92nd Street Y. Farmhouse tables topped with the season's produce are the appropriate setting for Sfoglia's country Italian fare. The private dining room tucked away upstairs can seat an intimate party of twelve.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sfoglia reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (66)fit for foodies (57)romantic (48)special occasion (36)notable wine list (24)good for groups (11)great for lunch (9)hot spot (5)great for brunch (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- the website booked the wrong eveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014WE are coming in october and the website booked the wrong date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite neighborhood spotMrCEVIPDined on 8/22/2014I love it here. It's my favorite place to get Italian. Took a date and she was super impressed. Food is always amazing and the staff is top-notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Food was great - service was super nice and friendlySpecial Features:
- We loved our dinnerNYismyhomeDined on 8/14/2014This our new go to place. The antipasti and salads are great. The fresh bread had a delicious slight sour bread flavor that with olive oil made us feel we were insane fransisco. Our favorite entree was the pappardelle a la bolognese. The home made pasta was delectable and the sauce made us use our bread to sop up every drop!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited and unexciting menuToddsVIPDined on 8/13/2014We have tried Sfoglia several times. We always leave slightly disappointed due to a very limited and rather unexciting menu. Why can't they extend this. We also found the service rather 'pushy' and intermittent. The squid was over-cooked and the sauce made it stodgy and the pasta bolognese was very average. We will probably try again but there are plenty of other quality restaurants in the area.
- UES Italian gembellbiv13VIPDined on 8/12/2014This place is a tiny UES gem that consistently puts out great dishes in a romantic candlelit ambience.Special Features:
- Sfoglia never disappointsLisalucybDined on 8/2/2014Sfoglia is consistently delicious and has become one of my favorite restaurants in the city. My husband and I get into Manhattan 3 -4 times a year and this has become one of our favorite spots. From our first visit to our most recent this past Saturday night, we find the food delicious, cocktails and drink menu interesting, and service consistently warm and friendly without any pretention. My husband always gets the Sfoglia chicken because it is moist and flavorful with a nice crispy skin. I love their chicken but like to try different things so this past visit, I had the housemade fusilli with pesto and lemon ricotta. Delicious! I have had so many disappointing restaurant experiences recently so going to Sfolglia was a joy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Is Good!KFFoodieVIPDined on 7/31/2014In an area with dearth of quality restaurants, Sfloglia stands out as not only reliable, but delicious, innovative and high quality ingredients. The daily appetitive charcuterie is excellent, and their flattened chicken outstanding.. good wine list, and the attentive and friendly staff knows how to get you to the concert across the street in time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive but great foodMisterPDined on 7/31/2014Small room but didn't seem crowded. Food was really outstanding. Service was also top notch. Wine list small but but high quality. All in all this place should not be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like ItalyLuLuDined on 7/30/2014New to Sfoglia, but delighted by the whole experience. Our server, Elisabetta, was helpful and charming. We are Italian, from Emilia, and it felt as if we were transported back. The salumi tasted like they do in Italy, my pasta was simple yet delicious and the chicken was everything it is known to be - moist, fresh and tasty with a hint of lemon and heat. We were not rushed and enjoyed two good hours of great food, wine and conversation.Special Features:
- Fine food dining in casual stylecasualexcellenceDined on 7/28/2014We enjoyed the quaint and relaxed atmosphere of this small Italian restaurant. The food was excellent - from the eggplant antipasto to the pasta main courses to the special order peach tarte dessert. A great place to go, especially as they change the menu regularly.Special Features:
- Friendliest service!SaraMageeDined on 7/26/2014I came to New York traveling alone, which when you have to eat out can be a very lonely and dull experience. When you walk into Sfoglia, there is a sign that asks that you refrain from using your cellphone. "Great," I thought, "this will be extra lonely and boring." I sat at the bar and was greeted with a warmth that was uncharacteristic of New York, but VERY characteristic of Italy. He talked to me all throughout my meal, recommended food (the black pasta with crab, the chicken, lemon tart) he recommended drinks, and even let me try some of his homemade lemoncello after dinner. The food was rave-worthy alone, the service, made me go back two nights in a row. Which I did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FavoriteDavidSDined on 7/25/2014Several visits to this local Italian treat - food is always excellent but would like to see a few new items on the menu. Pasta always fresh and always delicious.Special Features:
- Magnificent & CreativeDisgustedVIPDined on 7/24/2014Sfoglia never ever disappoints. The thoughtfulness and creativity of the menu, the wine selection, and the service can always be counted. And the pastas re-define the word spectacular every time we come.Special Features:
- Wonderful innovative rustic ItalianRavensburggeistVIPDined on 7/18/2014So refreshing to try some new flavorings and innovative Italian farm dishes not usually found on other Itslian menus. I loved my experience here. Not for everyone as the menu is smaller than most restaurants but the chef prepared each and every dish with utmost care and pride. Each dish is delicious and flavorful. I can't wait to return to try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbianceanatDined on 7/12/2014this is the second time I go to Sfoglia, everything was exceptionally good except for the ambience. They have 2 areas, one facing the street which is amazing and another area in the back of the restaurant. The later is too dark, no windows, I would recommend to call the restaurant and ask for a table in the front if you prefer to have more light and windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in NYMrCEVIPDined on 7/5/2014I am lucky enough to live close by. It's a wonderful neighborhood spot. I highly reccommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewerVIPDined on 7/5/2014Second time there. great menu, great food, great atmosphere. Very good drinks, reasonable wine. Server had somewhat of an attitude.
- Very good food, great serviceDudeVIPDined on 6/26/2014A menu that offered many choices. Great wines by the glass with a terrific sommelier. Comfortable, welcoming but a bit noisy. Overall a treat.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014was terrific ten years ago; has improved with age. barbara kerstetterSpecial Features:
- Great meal againshellyDined on 6/24/2014When we are in the city we try to come here for a meal.. Never disappointing tho $14 for a glass of house wine was a bit steep..Special Features:
- Terrible Food and Over PricedTryingNewThingsDined on 6/21/2014I'm Italian and really appreciate good Italian food. We looked up reviews online and booked a reservation for 5:30. We arrived at the restaurant 7 minutes early and the hostess specifically came outside to rudely tell us they weren't open yet! I read that the bread was outstanding but ours was almost too burnt to eat. I have made homemade rustic Italian bread and my aunts from Italy serve it and this bread was more sourdough than Italian. The red sauce was overly spicy and just not pleasant at all. I had the bolognese sauce and it was better than the red sauce but not great. Their homemade pasta was good but my husband had the gnocchi and it was too small and soft. The prices were high and not worth it! I don't recommend this place!
- a Disappointing eveningKCB2ACKDined on 6/17/2014I have been to Sfoglia many times over the years, starting with Nantucket. It has always been great. Tuesday evening, 6/17 was just abominable. One was nasty, arrogant, and obnoxious. He would not split the salad for 2, he came and interrupted our conversation to announce the "specials never said," excuse me, or may I tell you about the specials this evening?" When waiter #2 came to serve the entrees, he said he "forgot" to place my order for salmon. Since one of our friends had also ordered the same entree, he split hers in half, and then when the second was ready, split that in 1/2 also, what a ridiculous dining experience. One which we won't repeat any time soon.
- Recommended but over rated!Turning60Dined on 6/5/2014We were four women who came to this restaurant after a recommendation from a family member. It is over priced and we were not that pleased with the service. It seemed that there was only one waitress and even though it is a small venue, we were left to our own devices throughout the night. We had the fish special, the chicken and the salmon as our main dishes, and they were delicious. However, the sides that came with the meal were very bitter greens that were quite unpleasant. All in all, I have had a much more pleasant dining experience at these prices in other restaurants. Would not come back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Rustic eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2014By far, one of the upper east side's dining treasures. Dishes are simple, flavorful and unique. You can taste the care given to each dish. Make a reservation now...you'll be very pleased. The chicken is an work of art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lwenkeDined on 6/4/2014What a find! Absolutely amazing food. House specialty Sfoglia chicken is uber memorable.Special Features:
- Fantastic lunchUWSMomDined on 5/30/2014One of the best lunch specials on the upper east side. The roasted cauliflower with scallop reduction was fabulous, as was the ramp pasta and panna cotta. Always a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special place on the UESZanySDined on 5/28/2014The only drawback of this gem on the UES is how long it can take to get a booking at this intimate and delicious restaurant. The food is always fresh farm to table type food. The menu is small but with the freshest flavors and ingredients. I love coming here with some friends when I need to escape the typical frantic NYC type places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sumptuous mealDiningNYC2013Dined on 5/27/2014Food, bread, wine are always fantastic. Service is also good. Would come back more often if it wasn't as expensive.Special Features:
- as alwaysGMartiniVIPDined on 5/20/2014Sfoglia is always a treat - friendly staff, great food - a real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingGenieVIPDined on 5/20/2014There was no light hard to read the menu. I had a bib salad which the best part of my meal. My friend and I had the shrimp, spicy sausage polenta which was more like soup. There was no printed dessert menu. The tiramisu was awful. I have never seen it served in a glass with nuts?
- Nice spot!ZachDined on 5/17/2014I went here on a date night with my wife and thought the place was beautiful. We sad in an area a couple steps down (not in their main dining area) and it was romantically lit with candles -- really nice. The pastas were good -- but a little salty for my taste (it wouldn't stop me from coming back, but is the reason I didn't give the food a higher rating). I'd come back for sure -- and the service was great, we had really nice wait staff.Special Features:
- Delicious lunchgmd123VIPDined on 5/16/2014The food was excellent as usual - inventive combinations, and very fresh. The service was not up to par - perhaps they were short- handed, but it was hard to find a waiter when needed.Special Features:
- Not the best meal I've had thereAlexVIPDined on 5/15/2014The food was good, but I was not wowed like I was on previous visits. The service was the real letdown. Our waitress was indifferent and the pacing was bizarre. All four of us at the table had been to Sfoglia before, and all agreed that this was an off night--hopefully not indicative of the way things are heading there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I just love itOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/13/2014There's something about the vibe at Sfoglia - I just love it. And you can't beat the food: traditional yet inventive menu items, super full of flavor. Charming and delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/10/2014What took us so long to dine here ? Pleasant staff / very good service / interesting wine list and while the menu is limited it is very very good . . next visit : trying the hash browns . . . but never sinning again on the wonderful (must be ordered ahead) pear tart !!!Special Features:
- MarlenedcVIPDined on 5/8/2014Chicken Mattone is still the same wonderful dish, many changes since the original owners have left but the food is still pleasing. I had the bibb lettuce salad, and friends had the triple appetizer to start which used to be something to split, not such a clear split any longer. The pappardelle seemed a little thick and pasty and not as appealing as it was formerly. Budino dessert was too thick but the lemon sorbetto was refreshing. The room downstairs has become a more intimate space to dine in then it used to be.Special Features:
- Wonder brickCC72Dined on 5/8/2014Does the chef have a magic brick in the kitchen? The chicken cooked under it is out of this world delicious! And the oysters are light, crisp and so flavorful.Special Features:
- The following 513 reviews are from the Sfoglia reviews archive.
- genuinely specialruthblueDined on 5/7/2014The food is exceptional here, and always exceeds our expectations. Seating is another matter. Most recently we had booked a late table at 9.30 and we were first shown a table sharing with others and where it was loud. We requested a solo table, which was perfect. Twenty minutes a group of three young women were also seated at our table, and they were loud--what to do? Nothing. Then the music was turned up. What to do? Request away, but nothing. I wish more consideration in seating was given to couples. It wasn't necessary to put these women with us--at that time, there were many seats--so why do so? To accommodate the server? Alas, but it will color future considerations for dining at Sfoglia though we love the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialTntlaDined on 4/29/2014We had no idea what to expect, but beginning with the delicious bread, everything was superb, including the helpful and attentive wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.