1789 Comox St.
Vancouver, BC V6G 1P5Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.1789.ca/
- Phone: 6044280705x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday and Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm
BRUNCH: Sunday: 10:30am - 2pm
JAZZ Tuesday's 8:00pm-11:00pm
BLUES/SOUL FRI,SAT,SUN 8:30pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Continental
- Executive Chef: Daryle Ryo Nagata
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Two private suites for 2 to 7 people... Red Velvet Curtains Closed if requested.
- Private Party Contact: Paul 6044280705x
- Entertainment: JAZZ: TUESDAYS
FRI,SAT,SUN:BLUES & SOUL
presented by Cory Weeds Jazz Cellar
A word from Seventeen89
The Chef & The Fisherman.Captain Paul Puratich & Chef Daryle Nagata have partnered to bring this "Iconic" space at 1789 Comox Street back to its glory. Bringing entertainment and great food back to the West End. Fully refurbished with it's original fresco ceiling, red mohair booths and private curtained suites,this room is rich in history & memories. The food is fresh, local and approachable. Our signature Martini Bar is now complimented with an adjacent Oyster Bar. Our recent addition "The Porch" offers outside Liberation's and Nourishment; enjoying Vancouver's West End, steps from English Bay. LIVE MUSIC: TUES,FRI,SAT,SUNContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Seventeen89 - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Seventeen89 reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (27)special occasion (27)neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (15)late-night find (13)vibrant bar scene (11)good for groups (10)hot spot (10)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- A bit disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We were expecting better. The food was presented well but lacked in flavor, especially for the price. Shellfish did not taste fresh. We were also surprised to find the $10 per person cover charge on top of the dinner price.Special Features:
- Excellent all around.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Excellent food, excellent music, good service. The only thing to note is the live music is loud, so it's not ideal for a "talking" date if that's what you're looking for - only positives for me to say from my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinner with live musicKittyDined on 8/30/2014Fantasctic atmosphere and food. Oysters and surf&turf are definitely recommended. Unforgetable evening with live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and jazz!quietimlisteningDined on 8/26/2014Great chef with a devotion to building relationships with customers. Decision to have live music a really good one. Terrific partenrship with Cory Weeds for Tuesday nights and weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Misleading and outdatedEvolvedDined on 8/22/2014This restaurant is listed as vegan friendly...NOT even close! We were a group of five and were looking specifically for a restaurant that would accommodate all tastes. The only vegan options available were 1/2 loaf of bread and a salad. We were very disappointed. We sat for a good twenty minutes before anyone came to our table and then only after my husband got up and poured water in our glasses himself. When the food was finally brought out from the kitchen two of the three hot plates came first and then the two salads, one large, one small (only difference was the extra two lettuce leaves) and finally five minutes later the other hot dish and the bread. The decor is dated and drab. Don't waste your time!
- SaltAndPepperCrabBoyDined on 8/19/2014We specifically went to hear the Tuesday night Jazz. The food was good and the jazz was excellent. The only sour note (pun not intended) was even after spending over $120 on food and beverages for 2 persons, they still charged us the $10/person cover charge. Made the night too expensive to repeat anytime soon. If we go back, it will just be for the jazz and a drink or two.Special Features:
- Great even without live music.jasharrisDined on 8/19/2014One of the new venues for Cory Weed's jazz stellars. Superb tapas menu enables sharing at a reasonable city price. Entreés at downtown prices; all beautifully presented. Thoughtful wine list; experienced and helpful servers. Lovely room located just outside the entrance to The Coast Plaza Hotel; evening flat rate parking $10. A mix of tables and comfortable plush booths. Chef Daryle Nagata is a charming guy who sometimes serves your plate and enjoys talking with his customers. We, three, had a great evening out especially on a night with live music and then there is the nearby promenade to enjoy at English Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- live jazzOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Came for the Maria Ho quartet and was not disappointed. Food and service was great. Not the best old fashioned I've ever had so switched to scotch. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat!CrispyCryttrDined on 8/16/2014Dinner here was the perfect way to end our night after Bard on the Beach. The food was perfectly cooked, crab cakes and sablefish were delicious! Claudia was a lovely waitress and dealt with all our allergy issues pleasantly and with a smile. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends and intend on going back for an evening of live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!bobby13Dined on 8/15/2014Just arrived at home after a roundtrip trough BC and Banff National Park, So..my contribution is a bit late. On the 15th of august we visited the Seventeen89 restaurant and the entire positive input what I have been ridden about Seventeen89 is true. Their friendship and service is great...the food was excellent...also; there advice about the food was top! Performance of Les-is-more(Leslie Harris and Band) was Outstanding.!!!!!!!Special Features:
- sealegsVIPDined on 8/13/2014Superb food; well presented. Owner-chef made the rounds. prices reasonnableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sosofinedinerDined on 8/8/2014Mediocre food, good music, but sound too high. Best for 20 somethings.
- Awesome food and serviceAviddiner2Dined on 8/1/2014Awesome seafood and the service was impeccable. However, it was a very warm night and the a/c was not working. The jazz band was marginal at best. Need to see a wider choice/price point in the wine-but the cocktail selection is great. Private Chef owned restaurants are a difficult business to run- so I appreciate the peraonalized attention. Locals have to step up and support this place of we want a cool restaurant with great food in the area. LGBT presence was conspicuous by its absence. What a shame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodHaroldski8797Dined on 8/1/2014Really enjoyed ourselves, two large groups two nights in a row. 2nd night the bread was not in the small loaf form and was slightly different, not better. and the bouillabaisse should have had different bread as it overpowered the broth which was spectacular. Desserts were inconsistent between nights as well. I would happily eat there again having said thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not quite what it could beeveningcloudsDined on 7/30/2014A nice place in a nice location. Mediocre beer list with a server who knew very little about what was on it. Overpriced. Not a very appealing selection or a great variety, considering the reputation for seafood the place has. Food was in my case lukewarm. Scallops were really fresh and delicious, if only there were more of them! Shrimp on the same plate were a bit overdone and nothing special. Served on a 'bed' of noodles that was actually just a couple strands. Table mate who had the crab and fish filo wrap found mostly fish and hardly any crab. For what we paid I'd have to say we were greatly disappointed, maybe would not have been had the prices been more reasonable for what we got. So overall, nice try but meh.Special Features:
- NZFoodieDined on 7/29/2014Tuesday night jazz is fabulous. Great music, great food, service and atmosphere. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evenings....BernardDined on 7/20/2014I was looking for a restaurant offering jazz music....I found a gem! Great food, fantastic service, warm ambiance and fun jazz! Had to go back and my second visit was as good as the first one.Special Features:
- Amazing birthday dinnerBirthday2nightDined on 7/12/2014This was a great place to have dinner and listen to blues. Darrell was a great host Adrean was sweet and awesome. They all made us feel very special. It was my husband birthday and Adrean brought a plate that had fantastic little desserts and even wrote out happy birthday in chocolate and raspberry. Wonderful time. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.livemusicdiningloverDined on 7/8/2014Very good menu and really excellent service. Everything we ordered was yummy. The band led by P J Perry played two wonderful acoustic sets of stellar bebop jazz. We enjoyed our evening immensely and will be coming back.Special Features:
- Good Food and Good JazzShortyVIPDined on 6/29/2014The Seventeen89 has opened with a twist, live music! You can enjoy your dinner, great seafood, and listen to Jazz on Tuesday and Blues on Fridays. A nice addition to the local music scene. The menu is wonderful for seafood lovers. Try the Fanny Bay oysters, you won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great JazzWillDined on 6/29/2014My wife and I visited 1789 for the fourth time in late June during the Jazz Festival. In addition to great music (Two Much Guitars), the food was outstanding. Owner Paul is a former fisherman and his chef does seafood beautifully. Our favourite is the crab-halibut puff pastry (easily split-able plus a salad or appy). Room is very comfortable (former Delilah's) and the staff are appropriately attentive. Jazz or blues most Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday nights when the focus is on the music and food, and less on conversation.Special Features:
- A great find for Jazz loversshomacDined on 6/28/2014I went to Seventeen89 because there was a jazzfest show happening and to celebrate my brother's birthday. It was fantastic! The food was delicious and the sound level was perfect. I will definitely be coming back for some of their other shows and to enjoy a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Good food; good jazzpaddywaddyDined on 6/27/2014The menu looks great as does the wine list. Lots of wines by the glass. We simply shared appies which were fabulous as was the list of of $3 "appy" desserts. Lots of chices and lots of great flavours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mmmfoodDined on 6/22/2014I went to Seventeen89 to see a band in the Jazz Festival. I enjoyed the fine dining style considering the reasonable prices, although not being a seafood fan there wasn't a lot on the menu that sparked my interest. I found the spring salad and the vegetarian potato cannelloni a bit bland, but my friend liked the fish and chips. I did appreciate the gluten-free options, and the house white was nice. The place had good acoustics for music and we enjoyed the show, so I think next time I would probably just go for the music, wine and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014The first brunch there was good but the second one was not good at all. My friend had to send her eggs back as they were undercooked. What's worse is that they were absolutely tasteless. When I left I suggested to the owner they have an option to pay more for an organic egg and he said all the eggs were organic. I was floored because of their blandness. The service is personable but the young girl isn't a server and things don't come together or else she has to be reminded. Also, there are two pieces of toast with the egg dishes we ordered but yet you have to pay 75 cents for a small dish of jam. The brunch itself is very inexpensive but since it's not good, we won't go back again.Special Features:
- Great ambience and seafoodJazzyDined on 6/20/2014We went for a jazz Fest event and the music and ambience was lovely. The bar staff could use a reminder to keep their noise level down when the band is playing...particularly when it is a quiet song.... Unfortunately our a Open stable registration reservation that we made and had a confirmation for was not received by the restaurant do we had to sit uncomfortably at the bar. If you want to reserve call rhem directly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West End GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014Seventeen89 is my new place to go for listening to fantastic jazz/blues and eating excellent food. We went with a group of friends and were treated to a wonderful evening out. The quality of the musicians we heard exceeded our expectations. However, what surprised us even more was the quality of the food. Each dish was outstanding. Great service too. I am definitely coming back to Seventeen89.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShortyVIPDined on 6/20/2014We went to Seventeen89 as part of the Jazz Festival. We have not been there before and were pleasantly surprised by the great selection of seafood. The fried Fanny Bay oysters are a must. Probably the best I have had. The mains were just as good. Jazz was great and while we listened, Chef came around to the tables throughout the night to welcome and inquire how our meal was. Overall a wonderful night out. The only negative were people who missed the memo that said keep talk to a whisper and felt they had to compete with the music to be heard.Special Features:
- pickyeaterDined on 6/6/2014Good food, comfortable seating, jazz on Tuesdays and blues on Fridays - a very good addition to the neighbourhood. We were there on a Friday, and the place was doing a land-office business. One hopes that there is sufficient business on the off-nights to keep things going. Generally, the management seems to have done things right - the menu caters to all tastes, from comfort food to upscale dining, and with both small and large portions offered in some cases. I especially appreciated the mini desserts. A lounge license means that one does not have to eat, but can simply stop in for a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/4/2014We chose Seventeen89 for a reunion of old friends and it fully met our expectations. The fish was great, and the fact that we got a fantastic deal on wine (Wine Wednesday) was an unexpected bonus. We sat in a booth which was great but for the fact that the guests on the other side had the annoying habit of banging on the partition. I am very much looking forward to coming back for a Jazz night with Cory Weeds!!!Special Features:
- Sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2014A friend and I tried 1789 for Sunday brunch and enjoyed it very much. The food was good, well presented and the restaurant itself is lovely. Service was a little slow - the server was likely inexperienced. The music was perfect in style and volume. We would definitely go again and would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014We followed Cory Weeds formerly of The Cellar Jazz Club to 1789. The marriage of Cory Weeds' talent and connections in the music industry to the amazing food and vibe of 1789 has made the one-hour trip for us to English Bay and the west end memorable every time and we always bring friends.Special Features:
- Great MusicLiveMusicPleaseVIPDined on 5/23/2014There are few places in Vancouver where adults can have a drink, good meal in a friendly atmosphere, & hear some great live music. Regrettably Cellar Jazz is gone but now I've discovered Seventeen89. Friday was my first visit to Seventeen89 & it was a pleasure. The location just off Denman is easy to get to by public transit. I was greeted warmly & received friendly service throughout. The food was good, with plently of variety on the menu. However, the real reason to go is the music - Jazz on Tuesdays & Blues on Fridays. The Harp Dog Brown Trio was playing & were the reason I made the reservation. Even if you are not a blues fan this group will capture your imagination & keep you humming all night. My next visit will be on a Tuesday.Special Features:
- The following 54 reviews are from the Seventeen89 reviews archive.
- Delicissimo!!!besteverDined on 5/10/2014The food was the most delicious I have had in a very long time. We knew the food would be terrific because of Chef Nagata but we didn't know what kind of a time we would have at this restaurant which was new to us. It was terrific experience all round. It topped off my reunion in Vancouver with my sisters, in the best way possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014Dishes highlight the fresh seafood with light seasonings and perfectly cooked. Jazz and blues nights are a rare find in Vancouver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014We had a group of 10 and everyone thoroughly enjoyed a fabulous meal. The service was superb and friendly - we are definitely going back the next time we visit Vancouver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointingvisitorsDined on 4/20/2014Do not recommend this restaurant. Halibut dish was served burnt greasy and overdone. Service was good but do not recommend and will not return
- Excellent Venue for Jazz and BluesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/20/2014It is so great to dine, with a live band! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Sunday with a guestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014A guest from the Okanagan came with us for brunch. We had two mishaps associated with our guest which was unfortunate and NOT like any former experience I have had at Seventeen89. My breakfast and hers were mixed up and both had to be returned to the kitchen. By the time the orders came back my plate was nice and hot, but hers was cold. I didn't want to draw attention to it but she mentioned it to the waitress. There was no offer to remedy it, which I felt was unfortunate. It could have been done smoothly and to her satisfaction.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/15/2014Food is good, space is comfortable, and jazz on Tuesdays is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.