1789 Comox St.
Vancouver, BC V6G 1P5Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.1789.ca/
- Phone: (604) 428-0705
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday and Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm
BRUNCH: Sunday: 10:30am - 2pm
JAZZ Tuesday's 8:00pm-11:00pm
BLUES/SOUL FRI,SAT,SUN 8:30pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Continental
- Executive Chef: Daryle Ryo Nagata
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Two private suites for 2 to 7 people... Red Velvet Curtains Closed if requested.
- Private Party Contact: Paul 6044280705x
- Entertainment: JAZZ: TUESDAYS
FRI,SAT,SUN:BLUES & SOUL
presented by Cory Weeds Jazz Cellar
A word from Seventeen89
The Chef & The Fisherman.Captain Paul Puratich & Chef Daryle Nagata have partnered to bring this "Iconic" space at 1789 Comox Street back to its glory. Bringing entertainment and great food back to the West End. Fully refurbished with it's original fresco ceiling, red mohair booths and private curtained suites,this room is rich in history & memories. The food is fresh, local and approachable. Our signature Martini Bar is now complimented with an adjacent Oyster Bar. Our recent addition "The Porch" offers outside Liberation's and Nourishment; enjoying Vancouver's West End, steps from English Bay. LIVE MUSIC: TUES,FRI,SAT,SUNContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Seventeen89 - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Seventeen89 reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (28)romantic (24)special occasion (22)fit for foodies (20)late-night find (13)hot spot (9)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great music, variable quality food1jazzloverDined on 11/13/2014We really enjoyed this venue for live music. And the music was excellent: Jodi Proznick's quartet was superb. Some of the dishes were fabulous (crab cakes and desserts), others were mediocre (bouillabaisse) and some were regrettable (half of the oysters we were served had small broken bits of shell in them, yuck). The service was OK, not great. The room has good acoustics for enjoying live music and a comfortable feel. Overall our experience was a very good one. We hope they improve upon a few things that were lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good find.GloriousFoodyVIPDined on 11/13/2014Great night out. So nice to have a jazz venue again after The Cellar closed down. Had a lovely meal with good live jazz. Really enjoyed it! Food quality was excellent with generous portions. Impressed! Wine list was very limited however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingDinerDined on 11/13/2014We came for the jazz. I'd asked well ahead for a table near the musicians. Got stuck at the back even though the restaurant was empty when I came in and I asked to be moved and it was clear as the evening wore on we could have been moved. Made worse by a large party making lots of noise between us and the band. Food was very expensive and the pasta was mediocre. Almost nonexistent wine list. This place needs to make up its mind what it wants to be. If I go back I'll sit at the bar.
- Not impressedDisappointedDined on 11/8/2014There were six of us out to dinner for a special occasion. Very disappointed in the meal. Food quality was just not there. We will remember this place but not for the right reasons unfortunately.
- Refused Open Table Dining ChequeVancouverDinerDined on 10/31/2014We had excellent service and an enjoyable meal. The music was entertaining, but too loud to hold a conversation. I was surprised and disappointed that the restaurant refused to accept an Open Table Dining Cheque.
- Elegant supper clubOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/26/2014A welcome addition to the Vancouver dining scene, especially when there's live music. The Maria Ho Quartet enhanced our experience of an enjoyable night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music and Great FoodlivemusicloverDined on 10/26/2014My experience at Seventeen89 was very enjoyable. The environment is beautiful, the food is not only very tasty but presentation is excellent. I appreciate the wonderful tastes with the large portions. Just the right amount. The added wonderful benefit of dinning at this restaurant is the LIVE JAZZ/BLUES!!! Wonderful find in the West End!Special Features:
- Great blues bandKerayDined on 10/25/2014There was a three man Blues band that was quite good. Made the evening enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuluDined on 10/24/2014the food was okay overall. salad and crab cakes were good, lasagne terrible, lamb okay. the noise was awful. blues band was terrible. was too noisy for a dinner crowd - we had to yell over the din. for late night drinks might have been okay, but not the best type of music for dinner - early in the evening. may try when there is jazz there instead.
- Nice evening outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I took friends from out of town to 1789 on the weekend, particularly for the jazz. There are so few venues in town now that it was great to find one, and on Sunday. Good for Cory Weeds! I also noticed a couple of lone women at the bar who had come for the jazz too, and I contemplated: would an 'older' woman dare drop in for a drink and some music? It's not done in our town but it might be possible at 1789. My friends thought the food was good, carefully served, and they loved the pianist and the bassist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plush jazz and blues spot.jasharrisDined on 10/17/2014Always a pleasure to eat and listen to great jazz or blues at Seventeen89. We have enjoyed sharing the starters and tapas menu; seared albacore tune, mushroom strudel, pan fried oysters, the lamb. Chef Daryle Nagata is a most personable, music loving host and the staff is experienced and friendly. Expect elevated noise levels during performances when conversation can be strained. But this elegant, plush room is a romantic hideaway between sets and on nights when there are no musicians. Parking is easy in the large Coast Plaza Hotel lot and if raining it's only a few meters from the lobby to the door of the restaurant. There is some sidewalk patio seating in good weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and romantic settingChewonthisDined on 10/11/2014It was a cozy, romantic setting with delicious food and great service. The drink list was extensive and quite interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs work...NightgardenerDined on 10/10/2014We came in on a Friday night to a room that was about 1/3 full. We were seated near the band, which was playing good music really well, but at WAY too loud a volume. The waitress had to yell at us to tell us the specials. On a list of 5 different white wines by the glass, the bar was out of the first 2. I ordered a cocktail instead, which was supposed to be served chilled. Instead, it arrived with a side pot of hot tea. When I said I was hoping for a chilled cocktail, the waitress took my glass and the teapot, said the bartender was new, and took it away to chill it. There was no offer of another drink in the meantime, and my drink, now correctly made, showed up again 10 minutes later. The food was good, and the sablefish exceptional.Special Features:
- Great jazz, warm service, cozy roomNYvisitorVIPDined on 10/7/2014If you like jazz, this venue is now home to live music several times per week. The musicians this past Tuesday were excellent. This is a place to listen, so conversation during the playing is challenging. However, between sets, there is minimal background noise, so conversation is easy. The service was friendly and unpretentious. The room has a warm club-like atomosphere. The food was good and not overpriced. Will definitely return.
- Jazz Hot Spot70yroldjazzloverDined on 9/30/2014We booked a reservation at Restaurant 1789 specifically to come and listen to Cory Weeds and his jazz band. Having never been there before we didn't know what to expect. However, we were a little surprised to find an absolutely first class dining establishment. The server was exceptional - she took time to answer our questions, never rushing us and always being discreet. She was friendly and helpful at all times - really impressive. The food was equally first rate. My main course - the Honey garlic prawns and scallops were delicious and beautifully presented. This as well as some fabulous jazz - all making a fantastic evening. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighbourhood gemGringoDined on 9/26/2014I found the menu to have a good assortment of appetizers with a decent wine list. The restaurant ambience was lovely. I spent an enjoyable dinner with a friend listening to some great live jazz. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a dinner jazz club.Special Features:
- Not Baaaaaaaadsusan13kimDined on 9/19/2014Lamb kabob appetizer not great - very gristly bouillabaisse lacking spice/flavour and scallop and prawn dish had nice big pieces but flavor not great. Lamb dinner was very good. Mostly not impressed with $10 per head charge for the band - nothing was said about it - had been told about it by someone else that had been there who was also not happy and won't go back because of it - have never encountered that anywhere else in my life - not really cool. Not an inexpensive restaurant so to have $20 added on after spending what we did on food and drink :0(Special Features:
- A bit disappointing.DewFullDined on 9/13/2014We were expecting better. The food was presented well but lacked in flavor, especially for the price. Shellfish did not taste fresh. We were also surprised to find the $10 per person cover charge on top of the dinner price.Special Features:
- Excellent all around.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Excellent food, excellent music, good service. The only thing to note is the live music is loud, so it's not ideal for a "talking" date if that's what you're looking for - only positives for me to say from my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinner with live musicKittyDined on 8/30/2014Fantasctic atmosphere and food. Oysters and surf&turf are definitely recommended. Unforgetable evening with live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and jazz!quietimlisteningDined on 8/26/2014Great chef with a devotion to building relationships with customers. Decision to have live music a really good one. Terrific partenrship with Cory Weeds for Tuesday nights and weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Misleading and outdatedEvolvedDined on 8/22/2014This restaurant is listed as vegan friendly...NOT even close! We were a group of five and were looking specifically for a restaurant that would accommodate all tastes. The only vegan options available were 1/2 loaf of bread and a salad. We were very disappointed. We sat for a good twenty minutes before anyone came to our table and then only after my husband got up and poured water in our glasses himself. When the food was finally brought out from the kitchen two of the three hot plates came first and then the two salads, one large, one small (only difference was the extra two lettuce leaves) and finally five minutes later the other hot dish and the bread. The decor is dated and drab. Don't waste your time!
- SaltAndPepperCrabBoyDined on 8/19/2014We specifically went to hear the Tuesday night Jazz. The food was good and the jazz was excellent. The only sour note (pun not intended) was even after spending over $120 on food and beverages for 2 persons, they still charged us the $10/person cover charge. Made the night too expensive to repeat anytime soon. If we go back, it will just be for the jazz and a drink or two.Special Features:
- Great even without live music.jasharrisDined on 8/19/2014One of the new venues for Cory Weed's jazz stellars. Superb tapas menu enables sharing at a reasonable city price. Entreés at downtown prices; all beautifully presented. Thoughtful wine list; experienced and helpful servers. Lovely room located just outside the entrance to The Coast Plaza Hotel; evening flat rate parking $10. A mix of tables and comfortable plush booths. Chef Daryle Nagata is a charming guy who sometimes serves your plate and enjoys talking with his customers. We, three, had a great evening out especially on a night with live music and then there is the nearby promenade to enjoy at English Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- live jazzOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Came for the Maria Ho quartet and was not disappointed. Food and service was great. Not the best old fashioned I've ever had so switched to scotch. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat!CrispyCryttrDined on 8/16/2014Dinner here was the perfect way to end our night after Bard on the Beach. The food was perfectly cooked, crab cakes and sablefish were delicious! Claudia was a lovely waitress and dealt with all our allergy issues pleasantly and with a smile. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends and intend on going back for an evening of live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!bobby13Dined on 8/15/2014Just arrived at home after a roundtrip trough BC and Banff National Park, So..my contribution is a bit late. On the 15th of august we visited the Seventeen89 restaurant and the entire positive input what I have been ridden about Seventeen89 is true. Their friendship and service is great...the food was excellent...also; there advice about the food was top! Performance of Les-is-more(Leslie Harris and Band) was Outstanding.!!!!!!!Special Features:
- sealegsVIPDined on 8/13/2014Superb food; well presented. Owner-chef made the rounds. prices reasonnableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sosofinedinerDined on 8/8/2014Mediocre food, good music, but sound too high. Best for 20 somethings.
- Awesome food and serviceAviddiner2Dined on 8/1/2014Awesome seafood and the service was impeccable. However, it was a very warm night and the a/c was not working. The jazz band was marginal at best. Need to see a wider choice/price point in the wine-but the cocktail selection is great. Private Chef owned restaurants are a difficult business to run- so I appreciate the peraonalized attention. Locals have to step up and support this place of we want a cool restaurant with great food in the area. LGBT presence was conspicuous by its absence. What a shame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodHaroldski8797Dined on 8/1/2014Really enjoyed ourselves, two large groups two nights in a row. 2nd night the bread was not in the small loaf form and was slightly different, not better. and the bouillabaisse should have had different bread as it overpowered the broth which was spectacular. Desserts were inconsistent between nights as well. I would happily eat there again having said thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not quite what it could beeveningcloudsDined on 7/30/2014A nice place in a nice location. Mediocre beer list with a server who knew very little about what was on it. Overpriced. Not a very appealing selection or a great variety, considering the reputation for seafood the place has. Food was in my case lukewarm. Scallops were really fresh and delicious, if only there were more of them! Shrimp on the same plate were a bit overdone and nothing special. Served on a 'bed' of noodles that was actually just a couple strands. Table mate who had the crab and fish filo wrap found mostly fish and hardly any crab. For what we paid I'd have to say we were greatly disappointed, maybe would not have been had the prices been more reasonable for what we got. So overall, nice try but meh.Special Features:
- The following 72 reviews are from the Seventeen89 reviews archive.
- NZFoodieDined on 7/29/2014Tuesday night jazz is fabulous. Great music, great food, service and atmosphere. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evenings....BernardDined on 7/20/2014I was looking for a restaurant offering jazz music....I found a gem! Great food, fantastic service, warm ambiance and fun jazz! Had to go back and my second visit was as good as the first one.Special Features:
- Amazing birthday dinnerBirthday2nightDined on 7/12/2014This was a great place to have dinner and listen to blues. Darrell was a great host Adrean was sweet and awesome. They all made us feel very special. It was my husband birthday and Adrean brought a plate that had fantastic little desserts and even wrote out happy birthday in chocolate and raspberry. Wonderful time. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.livemusicdiningloverDined on 7/8/2014Very good menu and really excellent service. Everything we ordered was yummy. The band led by P J Perry played two wonderful acoustic sets of stellar bebop jazz. We enjoyed our evening immensely and will be coming back.Special Features:
- Good Food and Good JazzShortyVIPDined on 6/29/2014The Seventeen89 has opened with a twist, live music! You can enjoy your dinner, great seafood, and listen to Jazz on Tuesday and Blues on Fridays. A nice addition to the local music scene. The menu is wonderful for seafood lovers. Try the Fanny Bay oysters, you won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great JazzWillDined on 6/29/2014My wife and I visited 1789 for the fourth time in late June during the Jazz Festival. In addition to great music (Two Much Guitars), the food was outstanding. Owner Paul is a former fisherman and his chef does seafood beautifully. Our favourite is the crab-halibut puff pastry (easily split-able plus a salad or appy). Room is very comfortable (former Delilah's) and the staff are appropriately attentive. Jazz or blues most Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday nights when the focus is on the music and food, and less on conversation.Special Features:
- A great find for Jazz loversshomacDined on 6/28/2014I went to Seventeen89 because there was a jazzfest show happening and to celebrate my brother's birthday. It was fantastic! The food was delicious and the sound level was perfect. I will definitely be coming back for some of their other shows and to enjoy a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Good food; good jazzpaddywaddyDined on 6/27/2014The menu looks great as does the wine list. Lots of wines by the glass. We simply shared appies which were fabulous as was the list of of $3 "appy" desserts. Lots of chices and lots of great flavours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.